FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

DHS Plastic Ball

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2015 at 7:19pm
Yeah, There's been a few times where I've had a really long reply typed out, but then ended up just not posting because it's like having a debate with a toddler or arguing with your wife. There's simply no amount of logic that can make them realize why they don't know what they're talking about.
Sponsored Links

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2015 at 8:21pm
I think this thread is the last straw.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2015 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by AcudaDave AcudaDave wrote:

OK...this thread has gotten way out of hand. I just posted it because of my experience playing with the DHS plastic ball. I would appreciate it if you would just stop posting on here AgentHEX or you may become AgentEX.
Thanks

Not your fault Dave.  You started a thread, got replies from people who had had the same experience, and then before long it went off.
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2015 at 9:51pm
AgentHEX's summary is actually an extraordinarily accurate picture of what is going on here:
Originally posted by AgentHEX AgentHEX wrote:

It's true many people are simply not skeptical and just believe anyone with adequate social currency, and in fact deem it inappropriate to question what in their mind is an authority figure.

These are all accurate statements being referred to as "trolling" because the plain unvarnished facts of reality can be upsetting. The only oddity here is I don't post to be elevated by other people, nor fear of what socialites choose to enforce.

My interpretation:
  • AgentHEX believes that he is the only member of the forum who questions the status quo*
  • AgentHEX believes that "authority figures" must always be questioned**, regardless of the grounds for their authority***
  • AgentHEX believes that adopting a confrontational position on all matters equates with integrity****
  • AgentHEX believes that his subjective statements always carry the weight of "plain unvarnished facts"^
  • AgentHEX believes that genuine, socially acceptable practices are always designed to enforce some evil social construct, e.g. showing other people respect equates with "putting up with other's BS"
  • AgentHEX uses words he doesn't understand the meaning of, e.g. "socialites" does not mean what he thinks it does^^

* when he says "many people are simply not skeptical" my subjective assessment is that he really means "everyone except me"
** AH uses the term "question" although his posts rarely (IMO - I haven't done a statistical analysis of his posts) contain any questions; instead they merely contain oppositional statements
*** this is not just about whether or not Baal or NextLevel are "authority figures"; there are other instances where clearly recognisable TT authorities are "questioned" by AH - e.g. Brett Clarke doesn't know how to teach table tennis according to one gem posted by AH
**** according to this criterion, Vladimir Putin has extraordinary integrity (disclaimer: this is my attempt at a joke!)
^ any attempt to get AH to validate his statements is routinely ignored; he argues for "science" but never provides data
^^ yes, fatt, I'm just being mean on this one; nevertheless, it's true - and when he fills threads with misunderstood words and so-obscure-to-the-point-of-unintelligible statements, it makes communicating with him nigh on impossible (which is what he wants anyhow!)

NoRema View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoRema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2015 at 10:50pm
Why is this thread still here.

Click the picture for feedback ^
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2015 at 3:46am
Originally posted by NoRema NoRema wrote:

Why is this thread still here.

Because after the zombie apocalypse, it will be discovered by future generations and serve as a valuable warning about where society's descent into madness began?
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2015 at 7:16am
If anyone still cares:

I used the DHS balls yesterday.  I got out one and played a match with it and I think the balls have improved to some degree.  After the match, I let two 2100 players use it and it played decently.  I would say we got about 50 minutes of use out of it, all in regular match play.  The ball was doing fine, no wobbles.  In some ways, a pleasant surprise.

Later, I got out 3 different balls and used them almost exclusively for an hour and 40 minutes of drills.  Loops, blocks, punches, backhand to backhand rallying, forehand to forehand rallying - you get the idea.  Two were broken, one still survives.  When the ball cracked, it sounded funny, but it was hard to find the crack without looking carefully.  We hit a little more and it eventually became evident. In some ways, what I expected.

If anyone wants the footage of the matches or that drill session, I can post it, as every second I have played with these balls is on tape.

Nothing that happened changed the general evaluation of these balls.

I'll be playing a lot of seamed Chinese ball events over the next month or so so I have ordered a lot of Joolas, even though I don't want to buy balls with low durability because I want to do well at these events.  I also put in a small order for Butterflies.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2015 at 10:20am
Thanks NL!  

I'm still waiting for my Stigas to arrive, so I'll be using my 3 remaining DHS balls at training tonight.  2 brand new, one with about an hour on it.  I will see how far I get!
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2015 at 5:49pm
Sigh.

So, the hour-old ball developed a crack during the knock-up as soon as I got to the club. So add another 5 minutes to that one.

I switched to a new one. The spin test showed good roundness. Played really well. Another two and a half hours later, we had a ball skid really low during a practice match. Almost like the kind of odd trajectory you get off an edge - a very sudden dip. Checked the ball but we couldn't see a crack anywhere, but the spin test now shows a lot of juddering and wobbling. So I guess it's either gone out of round, or there is a weak spot developing and a crack is on the way. We finished the match, and that was the end of the night.

So I'm down to one wobbly ball and one last new on in the box. It's frustrating for a huge list of reasons, but a big one is that some of the seamed balls play OK for a period of time before dropping off a cliff, so the potential is there. I could definitely get used to it if I had to. But that's totally disregarding the seamless balls...

This is an early box of DHS though. I'm hoping that the Stigas are a more recent batch and there have been some improvements.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2015 at 7:55pm
NL, Andy, what is the date stamp on your balls?  We should keep track of this because I would imagine they are still working to make them better.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2015 at 9:10am
The DHS Balls were October 2014 (AXAD), and the Butterflies I just bought at 3 for $10 (yes, daylight robbery, I know) are January 2015 (XAAE).
Cybershape Carbon
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2015 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

NL, Andy, what is the date stamp on your balls?  We should keep track of this because I would imagine they are still working to make them better.

I know it sounds weird, but I've never been able to find a code on the box. I have a code on my Yinhe boxes, but not on the DHS which were the very first batch that TT11 were selling.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2015 at 4:16pm
Look at the bottom.
Cybershape Carbon
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2015 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Look at the bottom.

Nope. Just a barcode.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2015 at 5:39pm
Sometimes it's stamped in to the box, but no ink.  Can be hard to see.  But sometimes it is not present, although it's supposed to be.

NL, I will be  very curious about your impression of the new Btfly balls.  What a price!  Shocked
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2015 at 6:03pm
Yeah, I've given myself a headache just staring at the box.  I just don't think it's there.

Those moth balls had better be the best yet at $3.33 a shot.  Imagine breaking one in the first 20 minutes of play.  Imagine.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2015 at 6:40pm
Or having several not be round as in a sample my clubmate had a few weeks ago.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2015 at 2:36am
The first Butterfly one wasn't perfectly round but I played with it anyway.  Honestly, I didn't risk it in my first league match, but I played with it against a defender at my club who is on break from school.  It didn't play terribly, and I struggle against defense with the slower balls anyways.  Didn't break, still going strong as of now...
Cybershape Carbon
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2015 at 9:32am
My Stigas arrived today and they are stamped XFAD, which does NOT fill me with confidence.

I think wturber's theory about the seam being the issue with irregularity is going to end up being accurate, perhaps in combination with the elasticity of the material (or its ability to deform and then return to original shape efficiently, at least) and the variation of spin/speed at ball impact.  Very difficult to test for this in a lab, of course.

There follows a load of speculative rubbish.  Feel free to disregard.  With all seamed balls, imagine the seam being the equator (only useful to allow me to refer to the "poles" of the ball), and attempt to compress the ball between finger and thumb.

With cell, compressing the ball directly along the seam (equator) or at the poles feels relatively hard to do.  Compressing the ball near to the seam (but not on it) has a softer feel than those two, but in all cases the ball snaps back to its original shape with a "pop".  This is understandable - this is near to the overlap of the seam, and will be the structurally weaker area compared to everywhere else.

With the DHS 40+, compressing at the poles is really hard - much harder than cell.  It actually takes quite a lot of effort.  Compressing on the seam takes about the same effort as cell (approx), but the restoration of shape doesn't feel as snappy - there is a "saggy" feeling (relatively speaking).  Compressing near to the seam is the big difference though - it's really, really soft, and restoration has the same saggy feel.

The difference between the seamed cell and plastic is quite noticeable here, IMO.  In comparison to cell, 
the seamed 40+ is more resistant to compression at the poles, similarly resistant at the seam, and much less resistant near to the seam.  The variation between the two extremes is a lot wider with 40+.  The plastic material also feels less elastic, and doesn't restore shape with the same eagerness.  Also, I personally get the impression (after squeezing my balls a lot in the last 10 minutes) that regularly compressing the softer areas on the 40+ is weakening them further, making them even softer and less willing to restore the original shape.  So, if anyone else is going to be doing this, bear in mind that you'll probably be ruining your balls.

Going back to cell, the softer and harder (or more resistant to compression) areas on the ball don't show up in play - why?  Speculation - the elastic response of the softer areas result in a similar bounce to the harder areas.  Or similar enough that it doesn't disrupt play too much.  Remember that pros have gone on record to say that the cell ball wasn't perfect, and suffered from inconsistent bounce at times.  I'm vaguely recalling Samsonov here.

So, taking this to a really unjustified and totally unscientific conclusion...

Compared to cell, the 40+ seamed balls have greater variation in resistance to deformation between max and min areas around the ball, caused by the presence of the seam.  Factor in the reduced elasticity of the material, and the ease of degradation of the material via repeated compression, and the result is a more erratic bounce, and one which becomes worse over time as the ball is used.

Now, don't over-think that and let me distract you with more stuff.  Look over here!!! (waves arms frantically)  The seamless ball has the same saggier feel during restoration when compared with cell, but it's the same all over the ball.  So, we love seamless and all that.

I know this is all just rubbish conjecture, but is there a way to prove any of it?  Well, I think the bounce test wturber proposed is a good one to distinguish between the seamed area and other areas.  In fact, I think the greatest variation in bounce will be between the area close to the seam (and not directly on the seam) and the poles.  This is tough to reproduce, but might be possible with decent drop equipment.  Then, run the same set of tests on used balls.  After 1 hour, 2 hours, 5 hours, etc.  Does the variation in bounce increase as the balls become more used?

As a side note, the DHS 40+ balls I had crack on me all had their cracks start somewhere near to (but not on or across) the seam.  This is unlike the usual cell experience of having a crack develop directly ON the seam.  Perhaps an unrelated bit of coincidental nonsense, but still.

I've been thinking along these lines for a while (since wturber started discussing the seam, to be exact), but I've always put off making any comment due to the response from some of the more vocal members.  Things appear to have calmed down somewhat now, so I have a bit more confidence to speculate now.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2015 at 6:10am
Two hour session with the Stiga 40+ last night.

Started with 12 balls, tested all for roundness.  8 were good, 3 were slightly out of round, and 1 was absolutely terrible.  Gave me a big laugh as it twitched and wriggled across the table.  Awful.

Picked a good ball and it lasted one and a half hours.  That was basic drilling, short footwork exercise session and then practice games with a jpen looper and a LP combination player with a crazy BH flat smash.  It was one of those smashes which finally did for the ball - missed the table and the bounce on the floor told the story.  Huge crack perpendicular to the seam.  The good news - a good, true bounce right up to the death of the ball.

Switched for another ball with good roundness, which lasted the remainder of the session with nothing untoward to report.  I hesitate to continue to report on these balls because I know that they're first-gen DHS balls from June 2014...
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2015 at 7:20pm
I'm beginning my fourth week with XSF balls and I've broken two and I'm using a rather well used third ball currently.  

Last Saturday I played a friend who had an XSF ball and I asked him how they were holding up. He said that they were lasting much longer than celluloid.  In fact, he'd had to twice re-write his initials onto the ball we were using since they kept getting worn off from use.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2015 at 7:08am
3 hour session with the Stigas last night.

Continued with the 30 minute old ball.  After a further 45 minutes, I attempted to block a pretty standard incoming topspin loop, and the ball just totally dropped off at impact.  It literally just fell like a stone and rolled along my side of the table into the net.  Inspected the ball and there were no visible cracks, but one area on the seam of the ball had become incredibly soft - almost soggy.  Awful.

Replaced for a fresh ball, which lasted the rest of the session (2 hours approx) but did show some signs of staying low towards the end.  Still usable, but suspect.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2015 at 10:03am
Yes, Chinese seamed balls can start out playable, more or less, and round, and quickly become unplayable without breaking.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2015 at 10:07am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Yes, Chinese seamed balls can start out playable, more or less, and round, and quickly become unplayable without breaking.

The worst part of this IMO is that I would have lost that point in a competitive match.  There was no crack on the ball to point to and ask for a let.

I can't get more than 2 hours out of any of these June 2014 balls.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2015 at 6:12pm
I was at the tournament on Saturday, used Stiga 40+.  I didn't enjoy it much.  Having spent a season with celluloid, and only approx 10 hours of focussed training on plastic, I found it wasn't enough to be competitive.  The adjustment time will be large for me, and it will be very tough if my league continues to use cell.  So I doubt I will be attending any more plastic events until the entire situation stabilises.

I did see some interesting things though.

First up, these balls seemed to be the first gen seamed DHS variant, from June '14.  All boxes I saw had this date code on, so any advancement in production was lost at this event.  There was a big box of balls available for use, but each table only used one at a time.  Any breakages required the umpire to take the old ball to the official's table and replace it for a fresh one.  Quite a few of the balls seemed to have some existing wear on them, even first thing in the morning.

Breakages were laughably regular.  These are the best players in mainland UK - just below Pro level in most cases.   They hit the ball hard.  A clubmate of mine was playing in Band 4 in the morning, and in the course of his Group (4 players in a group, everyone plays the other 3 once, so a group has 6 matches, best of 5 each) they broke 6 balls.  Once out of his group he progressed to the knockout stage where a further 2 balls broke in the warm-up of his first match.  I asked an official, and he said that this was the worst weekend they had seen so far for breakages, so I presume that previous weekends were better (which would be Joola seamed and Stag seamless balls, presumably the Joola balls were a more recent batch, can't be sure).

I saw some awful bounces, but not as many as I had thought.  I guess the balls were breaking so often that they didn't have time to go particularly soft.  I did see one quite dramatic player breakdown when a bat was thrown into a wall following a ridiculous low bounce from a soft BH loop which landed 2/3 table length and you'd usually expect to sit up for a kill.  Went straight under the bat, which then itself went straight into the wall.  There were a few bounces like that throughout the day, and a few which kicked up too.  In a game to 11, these bad bounces can be the slice of bad luck which makes the difference.  Also, the effort of anticipating possible unexpected nonsense like this is a big distraction when playing.  Under pressure, the effect is magnified.  It took away a lot of the enjoyment of playing for me.

Players dealt with this in a number of ways, and it's interesting to see how things are shaping up for tournament players.  I was umpiring a match in the afternoon and the ball was staying very low at times.  It's a lot easier to see this from the side of the table, but it wasn't lost on the players either.  After a particularly bad sequence of 3 points which involved skids, one player stopped and examined the ball.  They declared that it was cracked, pushed a thumb in it, gave it to me to be replaced.  There was no crack, but I had seen the ball's maddening behavior and understood what was going on, so off I trotted to get a fresh one.   I did see a few unusually clumsy feet treading on a few balls too.  Whoops, eh?

I did ask a few opponents what they thought, but I particularly remember one Scottish player calling them "total pish", which got a LOL from me.
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2015 at 10:25pm
Don't worry Andy!
Stiga 40+ balls are the worst thing I have ever seen from these plastic balls.
With trainings or not - I think I will always play better with the elder IDEAL balls (made in Czehoslovakia in the 80's) instead these ...how to say...innovative products from STIGA. Thumbs Down
DHS 40+ balls are definitely the most playable balls from all these I have played to this moment, specially for me.
I have tested : Tibhar, Joola, Stiga, DHS, Palio, XushaoFa(red stamp), Yasaka.
I'll be looking to test Andro, Nittaku and Donic balls soon.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2015 at 10:43pm
Xushoafa Red Stamp is not a 3* ball, kolevtt.

You haven't tested any really good balls.  You need XuShaofa ITTF 3*, Yinhe or Nexy or Stag or any major seamless brand 3* ITTF approved (I heard that Palio is not as good).

If not, then Nittaku Premium Japan.

Then amongst the remainders, I find Butterfly, Joola and DHS to be the same, but I personally play better with DFish because the ball is slightly smaller.
Cybershape Carbon
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2015 at 4:07am
I figured this was the best place to post my observations on our recent Arizona Closed Tournament and our use of the Nexy seamless ball supplied by NexyUSA. We had 57 players participate and 215 matches were played at levels ranging from Unrated to about 2300.

NexyUSA was our ball sponsor and supplied two dozen balls free of charge.  We purchased an additional dozen from our local NexyUSA dealer at his dealer price. As it turned out, we only needed the two dozen.

We made it a point to track the balls and what happened to them.  All told, we still have all but eight balls.  We had a grand total of two balls break.  One was stepped on and the other broke during play.  The other six balls were either lost under the bleachers, or were not returned for some reason. Separate from our Nexy balls, I observed one XSF ball break during warmup.

I received no complaints about playability or ball quality from the players, with the one exception that the tournament referee (who is also the NexyUSA supplier) pointed out that he felt a high number of the balls in the boxes were not round.  I don't have a good enough caliper to check the roundness, but by slowly rolling the balls on my granite countertop, it became clear to me that about 2/3s of the balls have a significant heavy spot.  You can observe them roll in an uneven fast/slow manner and eventually they will roll in the direction of the heavy spot.  I suspect that this is a significant part of the perception of "out of round" balls.  A heavy spot would tend to make the ball wobble when spun depending on the axis of spin.

If the manufacture can improve quality control, I'd pretty much have no complaints with this ball.  As it is, I personally don't really see a problem in play with the "wobble."  But the 3* celluloid balls I have on hand do not have this characteristic.  I also think some players will consider this to be a significant fault - even if the affect on play is more imagined than real. 

Edited by wturber - 05/04/2015 at 4:14am
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2015 at 5:31am
Something is causing these balls to break.
I attended our National cadet masters competition where they used Stag seamless balls. No problems at all. No balls broke.
A couple weeks later I was our 'Nationals', Stag again. The balls broke regularly at about 1 or 2 per match. In the semis of an under 21, 5 balls broke. I thought that that was the ultimate. But then in the next match, 6 balls broke.
Interestingly, what the senior players told me was that durability depends on how the ball is hit. If the ball hits the table edge or bat (if no rubber overhang, assuming it hits the wood) then immediately it develops a soft spot. One player demonstrated by hitting the ball on the side of his bat. He hit once, no damage to ball. On the 3rd try, the ball had developed a white ring which was soft in the middle. I haven't tried it myself, as I'm too poor.
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2015 at 10:32am
Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

Something is causing these balls to break.
I attended our National cadet masters competition where they used Stag seamless balls. No problems at all. No balls broke.
A couple weeks later I was our 'Nationals', Stag again. The balls broke regularly at about 1 or 2 per match. In the semis of an under 21, 5 balls broke. I thought that that was the ultimate. But then in the next match, 6 balls broke.
Interestingly, what the senior players told me was that durability depends on how the ball is hit. If the ball hits the table edge or bat (if no rubber overhang, assuming it hits the wood) then immediately it develops a soft spot. One player demonstrated by hitting the ball on the side of his bat. He hit once, no damage to ball. On the 3rd try, the ball had developed a white ring which was soft in the middle. I haven't tried it myself, as I'm too poor.

Which balls are you talking about?  The seamless?  If so, I can agree on the point about edge hits.  But I'm finding it hard to understand how you could average breaking 1-2 balls per match.  If that were the case at our tournament, we'd have needed 200-400 balls. Instead we broke 2 (one from getting stepped on).
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic