Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boycott plastic balls

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2015 at 2:12am
Originally posted by Tassie52 Tassie52 wrote:

My own experiences with the plastic ball are in line with the Preston experiment.  If I say nothing to my opponent but simply produce a plastic ball and begin playing, no one says a word.  No one can tell that the ball is not celluloid. If I do tell my opponent then I'm likely to get comments about all the weirdness of the plastic ball - it's heavier/lighter and higher/lower - but after five minutes those issues are simply forgotten.  No one ever thinks to blame the ball for losing a point in the fifth game of any match, because it plays so similarly to what they are used to (mainly Butterfly 3* celluloid) that they've forgotten that they're using something different.

Unfortunately, I was the first person at my club to buy plastic balls so I never got the placebo test.  However, I can tell you this - for the way I played before the change, and for players who take the ball earlier and more aggressively off the bounce, the DHS ball can be a pain to use.  Players who take the ball later tend to have more time to adjust to the bounce, but because it bounces lower, I can tell the difference fairly quickly if I play my old style of game as most of my attacks over the table will go into the net.

I can show you recent matches with the same opponent played with the XSF ball and then with a DHS ball.  You may not see the difference in how I play if you look at the quality of the play.  But there are certain shots that I take and miss because the ball doesn't show up where I expect it to be in terms of height.  This changes the later you take the ball and the more you use spin to come up on the ball, but I wasn't doing this 6 months ago.  But when you see my instinctive over the table strokes come into play, especially against spinless balls, you see the difference.

So with all due respect, I think the similarity of the balls is largely dependent on playing style and game speed.  It's also easier to accept if you haven't tried a variety of balls or played back-to-back with various balls.  I have forced myself to practice more that way to get used to adapting but it is harder than it sounds because it forces you to take the ball later more often and to watch it carefully.

Edited by NextLevel - 03/31/2015 at 2:36am
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Sponsored Links

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2015 at 2:33am
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

for the 1st time I played with plastic double fish 3* seamed balls and the proud owner told me he never had more problems than before the plastic era. is that a ball worth to be tested more or was he just lucky so far?

The DFish balls bounce slightly higher than the DHS.  I actually liked them and always chose them when given a choice between them and a DHS ball, though that might change now given that I have practiced with the DHS ball more extensively.  Because they bounce higher even though they are relatively soft, you can get an extremely slow game if you play in a club with a wooden floor.  Defenders and blockers tend to love that ball because it is so hard to put away if the tables are playing slow.  Not as smashable as seamless balls.

Cybershape Carbon
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2015 at 3:03am

he said they do not crack more than any old nittaku premium 3* balls; is that true? he plays weeks, months before he cracks one of those balls; he says he does not care because it did not happen more than before...
but but but...
the 3* XSF seemless balls have such an attractive, seductive and utlimately winning aura surrounding them. that seamless thing has some magic to it.

DFish balls had better durability than DHS, but the Nittaku Premium 3* wasn't that durable either to be honest.  I found the DHS and DFish Cell 3* to be much more durable.  My memory doesn't agree with our friend but I haven't bought or used a DFish ball in a while (almost 3 months).  They also had roundness issues.  But again, QC might have improved.
Cybershape Carbon
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2015 at 6:56am
in a blind test at my club a few weeks ago i was more likely to to mistakenly identify NP40+ as celluloid. I picked out the Chinese seamed ball and seamless pretty reliably. Both sre pretty easy to tell from celluloid. Right now celluloid balls feel like they are coming really fast at me because i mostly use seamless. Also when you are playing free it is easier to tell the difference than just doing counters or looping and blocking. For me now plastic is the new normal. I still find Chinese seamed balls require adjustment and it takes me quite awhile. I guess I am a creature of habit.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2015 at 9:26am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

in a blind test at my club a few weeks ago i was more likely to to mistakenly identify NP40+ as celluloid. I picked out the Chinese seamed ball and seamless pretty reliably. Both sre pretty easy to tell from celluloid. Right now celluloid balls feel like they are coming really fast at me because i mostly use seamless. Also when you are playing free it is easier to tell the difference than just doing counters or looping and blocking. For me now plastic is the new normal. I still find Chinese seamed balls require adjustment and it takes me quite awhile. I guess I am a creature of habit.

Pretty interesting.  I find the NP40+ to make a distinctive sound which I almost instantly recognize.  But maybe I should be subjected to blind testing at some point.  If someone on the forum knows me and hits with me sometime, please fool me and use a ball without me knowing what it is.  I do have a habit of checking balls so it might not work, but you can declare what ball you want me to think it is before starting.
Cybershape Carbon
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2015 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by Pondus Pondus wrote:

As a whole, table tennis still has a fairly low entry cost compared to many sports... even with slightly more expensive balls. In comparison, the best golf balls are 3-4 Dollars a piece. 
$10 for a box of 3 Butterfly 40+ balls.  We're getting into that ballpark.

.... But the sport is still okay, isn't it? I guess that's my point... don't get so worked up over this new ball thingy... it will all be okay.

I think that postings in a forum can have the unfortunate effect of amplifying the apparent "worry" over an issue because they can be so focused on a singular topic.  Aside from my tendency to be curious, I'm interested in this topic because I have to make decisions for our club and because club members who don't want to investigate these issues are likely to come to me with questions.  So I spend an inordinate amount of time on the issue compared to what I would consider typical or normal.  But I'm not losing any sleep over the issue.

After reading a few rather biased 40+ ball FAQs, I put together my own biased FAQ for our club. I figure I'll have to update it every month or so as things evolve.  I think things like this help drive the market forces in small ways that in aggregate matter.  Right now the market has to work against the fact that the ITTF has managed to choose one of the worst balls for their tournaments.

Edited by wturber - 03/31/2015 at 2:09pm
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2015 at 2:37pm

for the 1st time I played with plastic double fish 3* seamed balls and the proud owner told me he never had more problems than before the plastic era. is that a ball worth to be tested more or was he just lucky so far?
I'll have what he's having LOL. Double fish seamed balls are just a little better than DHS seamed balls. One ball may last few sessions.

You cannot go wrong with the seamless balls.
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2015 at 6:07pm
LennyG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LennyG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2015 at 6:16pm
From Larry Hodges' daily blog about USATT Board meeting:
"Then came a discussion of plastic balls, led by Ed Hogshead, who pointed out the problems of so many balls that play differently being used in different tournaments, and argued for setting a date where we go all plastic in 3-star and above tournaments. The problem is that the different plastic balls themselves are very different themselves, and so unless we settled on one brand, it might not help much. No action was taken here, and most likely all we can do is wait one or two years until the manufacturers fix these problems with a more standardized ball."
WE SHOULD NOT BE PLAYING WITH PLASTIC BALLS AT ALL IN LOCAL TOURNAMENTS AND LEAGUES!!!
I feel better now Approve
USATT 1700
Donic Waldner WC89
Xiom Omega V Asia
chop4ever View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chop4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2015 at 9:06am
If I have money I would invest a share to DHS ball factory! Just imagine how many ball they will sell to the world and how much money they will earn by ITTF decision!
They will be such a billionaire!
There is no real "pro", "prov" or "NT" H3 in the market.
Falco is not a booster
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2015 at 10:54am
Originally posted by Egghead Egghead wrote:

I'll have what he's having LOL. Double fish seamed balls are just a little better than DHS seamed balls. One ball may last few sessions.

You cannot go wrong with the seamless balls.

A week ago Sunday I had the privilege of practicing at the TopSpin club in Milpitas, CA with my friend Hermann Luechinger using the Butterfly 40+ mm. polyball.  I was topspinning fh and bh, Hermann was chopping fh and bh.  We were using hardbats.  After about 15 min. of practice the ball behaved like a flat tire on an automobile.  A breakage kind of like a crack in the San Andreas fault was clearly visible on the ball.  Fortunately, Hermann had a 38 mm. 3-star Nittaku.  Ah the joy!  The 38 played great!  Go one step further, gentlemen:  boycott all 40 mm. balls.  Back to the future.  It's not too late for the 38 (if you still have any of those suckers).
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2015 at 1:48pm
Berndt_mann, I've always wondered about the qualities of a 38mm plastic ball.
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2015 at 1:55pm
I dunno, I still really like XSF quite a bit. 

I can't stand SHA.

Haven't tried anything else. 
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2015 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by berndt_mann berndt_mann wrote:

boycott all 40 mm. balls.  Back to the future.  It's not too late for the 38 (if you still have any of those suckers).

Let's go all out... I say let's go back to rounded wine bottle corks.

wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2015 at 3:00pm

boycott all 40 mm. balls.  Back to the future.  It's not too late for the 38 (if you still have any of those suckers).

For what it's worth, I have very little trouble going back and forth to the 38mm ball.  I have a small cache of 38mm Nittaku 3* balls.  

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2015 at 3:20pm
I haven't tried it, haven't even seen a small ball in years.  I am pretty sure know it would be very difficult impossible for me to play with 38 mm and do any of the things I normally do without spraying the ball all over the place and looking like a fool in the short game.
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2015 at 4:08pm
It's way easier to adjust to different balls with a hardbat than with inverted rubbers, trust me.  At least ten times easier.

Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2015 at 4:17pm

I haven't tried it, haven't even seen a small ball in years.  I am pretty sure know it would be very difficult impossible for me to play with 38 mm and do any of the things I normally do without spraying the ball all over the place and looking like a fool in the short game.

But your serves though... they'd be sooooo spinny. Tongue
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2015 at 7:26pm

But your serves though... they'd be sooooo spinny. Tongue

But my short ones would come out so LONG.    Shocked
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2015 at 3:38am

38mm wine bottle corks? 40mm? 40+??  Champagne corks?  Red wine corks?  Natural cork? Reconstituted cork?  Artificial?  My personal preference would be for 38mm, natural champagne corks, and if 1979 Krug Clos du Mesnil Blanc de Blancs Brut then so much the better.  (But it is going to come in at about $7.5k per ball which may be a problem for some.)

kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2015 at 12:25am
someone said we're going back to celluloid this summer. is that true?
Viscaria
H3N/T05
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65345&KW=&title=feedback-kurokami
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2015 at 1:12am
[QUOTE=kurokami]someone said we're going back to celluloid this summer. is that true?[/QUOTE

some of us never left..WinkWink
Ray View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2015 at 1:51am
Originally posted by lineup32 lineup32 wrote:

+1

Originally posted by kurokami kurokami wrote:

Wasn't that on 1st April?
Life is too short for defensive play.

https://twitter.com/spinnier_com
fb.me/spinnier
kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2015 at 1:53am
Originally posted by Ray Ray wrote:

Originally posted by lineup32 lineup32 wrote:

+1

Originally posted by kurokami kurokami wrote:

Wasn't that on 1st April?

performance-wise, it only takes a little bit for me to adjust but it is quite tiring. after a couple matches, i started feeling more tired than usual
Viscaria
H3N/T05
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65345&KW=&title=feedback-kurokami
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2015 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Pondus, thanks for your observations.  So what is your view of the ball?  Have you played with it?

Got to play with a plastic ball for the first time yesterday!!! WOOOOT.
It was a Nittaku Premium 40+, and frankly I thought it was great. Great meaning I didn't feel any real difference from playing with premium celluloid balls. Played for about 1 1/2 hours and the ball was fine the entire time (ie didn't break).
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2015 at 4:10pm

Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Pondus, thanks for your observations.  So what is your view of the ball?  Have you played with it?

Got to play with a plastic ball for the first time yesterday!!! WOOOOT.
It was a Nittaku Premium 40+, and frankly I thought it was great. Great meaning I didn't feel any real difference from playing with premium celluloid balls. Played for about 1 1/2 hours and the ball was fine the entire time (ie didn't break).

Cheat - you need to play with the Joolas or DHS balls - I can send you a few anytime.  The NP 40+ is not being used at any monthly tournaments I know of.  
Cybershape Carbon
Hans Regenkurt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2015 at 6:04am
Some observations from players at about 2200 who have been playing with plastic for a whole season now:

A talented youngster who is about 17 and practices roughly 15 hours a week intensively says that his topsheets rip after 2 weeks. I do not know what rubber he uses. Another player says that everybody will have to move harder rubbers. He personally played with Acuda S3 before the change, then tried T64FX which was still too soft for the new ball and settled with T05 for FH and T05FX for BH. He is still using a Primorac OFF- but is moving to some composite blade because he is at a disadvantage at that level. He estimates that the ball change is bad for 8 people out of 10 and good for only two.

I would not have believed that 30 hours of training can destroy a rubber, I find it appalling actually.
kakapo View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2015 at 6:43am
Of course, everybody knows that these balls disadvantages players who base their game most of all on spins....at every levels but....we are now obliged (in Belgium) to use these plastic balls so my main concern is that they are so different from one brand to another :((((
It is too late to boycott something and also ITTF is and will always be a dictatorship. Even the Pro players were not asked about the introduction of this "illness" into the game.

During the celluloid balls era, some differences already existed between balls made by some brands but, even if I sometimes found these differences relatively important, that was nothing if you compare with plastic balls.
At my club, we play with stiga 40+....but every 2 weeks, we will play away....Vs clubs which use either DHS, or Nittaku, BTY, Tibhar, Donic.....
I tried nearly all these balls and with some of them......I am simply not able to play :)))
I forecast some "funny" moments... 
Def play grey grip 94gr, Venus 2 blue 2,2, Neubauer KO extreme 1,3mm
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2015 at 7:18am
I usually play with Xushaofa, which is the ball my club has adopted. I like that ball. I play well with it. I'm adjusted to the timing. I played a sanctioned tournament yesterday using Nittaku Sha, and it made me want to quit table tennis. I got so pissed. I just couldn't adjust my timing, and I couldn't even land my opening backhand when I was just going for consistency and not power. When the ball dropped to below net level or at table level, I couldn't spin it on with my forehand to save my life. I felt embarrassed, and got really disappointed with myself. 

Interesting though that for quickfire questions asked to Fan Zhendong, Xu Xin, and Zhu Yueling, they all said they preferred plastic. 

I think it's an embarrassment to have different brands play SO differently now. Some of them are complete garbage. 
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2015 at 7:18pm
It's been out for awhile. We discussed this at length at OOAK and on a few threads here.  I think the biggest mistake ITTF did was to approve balls that did not meet the criteria they had set in advance (by allowing wider tolerances until Jan 2016), and to ignore the issue of durability in their testing.  His argument here is that they had to get things started or they would never get to where they wanted to be.  I find that hard to accept.  Since then, Mr Kueneth has said they may incorporate some sort of durability testing without saying what it will be.

The really glaring thing is that not all of the plastic balls are terrible, just the ones made by companies like DHS that have especially close relationships to ITTF. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic