FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Boycott plastic balls

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boycott plastic balls
    Posted: 03/30/2015 at 2:14pm
We've had a thread on boycotting Butterfly so I thought maybe we should just boycott the plastic balls until they play just like the celluloid balls. If the manufacturers can't meet the celluloid specs then we shouldn't have to play with them.
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
Sponsored Links

piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2015 at 2:24pm
on tournaments you have to use plastic ball. how you gonna boycott plastic balls? not to play tournaments? so you punish yourself
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2015 at 2:33pm
How exactly would I punish myself by not participating in tournaments? It's not like I have Olympic aspirations or derive my income from tournament prize money. I have enough competition at the club matches and league rating is a decent proxy for USATT rating.  

Having said that, I don't mind playing tournaments that use seamless variant of plastic ball - it's good enough for me.

USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2015 at 2:52pm
Man you're like a couple years too late...
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2015 at 2:54pm
I don't mind if it play different, but wish that they are more consistent, and also more affordable (either by making them more durable, or cheaper).  I like the idea of boycotting it.  If enough people in my club go for it, I am on board Smile.
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2015 at 2:55pm
plastic balls are fine.  there are no reasons to boycot them!

Edited by Skyline - 03/30/2015 at 2:55pm
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2015 at 2:57pm
I have no problem playing with the seamless balls and only minor quibbles with the Nittaku Premium 40+
(mostly price but also not quite as "lively."

So I just don't buy the others.  
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2015 at 3:01pm
Yeah...I've won about $500 in the last couple years playing in tournaments...so I would be giving up on all that $$$ if I boycott tournaments.  Not only is it bad enough tournaments are already using plastic balls, but to add to it the balls all play differently depending on the brand and you have to keep switching balls a week or 2 before playing in the next tournament so you can get used to them. This is just nonsense! 1 Ball to rule them all! If we really are going to switch to plastic balls, they should a) meet the celluloid specs b) all play the same c) either be seamed or seamless but not both and d) last more than a match.
sweetstrike View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetstrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2015 at 3:06pm
Totally agree with Dave. Celluloid is the superior material for both consistency and durability. Plus I have trouble seeing white balls. Just make a 40+mm celluloid ball and we would be done!
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2015 at 3:09pm
Boycott crappy plastic balls.  Until we see definitively otherwise, this includes all plastic balls with seams made in China. 
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2015 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by sweetstrike sweetstrike wrote:

Totally agree with Dave. Celluloid is the superior material for both consistency and durability. Plus I have trouble seeing white balls. Just make a 40+mm celluloid ball and we would be done!

The celluloid battle was lost over two years ago when member associations did nothing about the ITTF misinformation and went along with the mandated use of plastic ball for ITTF events.  

I would be shocked to see anyone making 40+ sized celluloid balls.  And if they did, they might be marginally less reliable or even as bad as the 40+ balls.  One of the reasons our current 40mm celluloid balls are 39.6-39.7mm in diameter is that the makers determined that would make for a more reliable ball.

I totally understand the frustration, but I see a boycott as being too little too late.  
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2015 at 3:39pm
I'm afraid I agree with Jay.  So in the mean time, use seamless.  They are on average quite good.
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2015 at 3:41pm
you're probably right wturber...I may just play down in my basement or give up the sport entirely until better balls are implemented.
LOG1C1AN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOG1C1AN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2015 at 3:54pm
I've already been boycotting seamed plastic balls for a few months now. But, I've also been boycotting celluloid balls. I've become a seamless snob.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2015 at 3:57pm
Just hope that seamless ball doesn't smack you in the wrong place - those things are like stones....
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2015 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Just hope that seamless ball doesn't smack you in the wrong place - those things are like stones....
x2
more durable than celluloid ball LOLLOLLOLLOL
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2015 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by AcudaDave AcudaDave wrote:

you're probably right wturber...I may just play down in my basement or give up the sport entirely until better balls are implemented.

Have you tried the seamless balls?

As for basement play, you can get good quality 3* celluloid balls quite cheaply these days.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
DrBacterius View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrBacterius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2015 at 4:07pm
I think it's 'stupid' to imagine a boicot due to the properties about the new materail. We must just accept it if we wanna play.

Another thing is to talk about the quality and durabilty of the balls. I think in most countries exist laws talking about warranty of the products. Is not acceptable what is happening with it.

About different proprties between seamless or not it's easy, if they meet the standard we have no reason to discuss it. Then, we must discuss about the standard. It needs to be more clear, just one type of 'properties'.

Edited by DrBacterius - 03/30/2015 at 4:08pm
OSP Virtuoso
T8O Max / Ventus Spin 1.8

My Feedback
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2015 at 4:14pm
If tt balls are not lasting a few hours , give them back to your retailer
at the moment Im sure the makers of the ball would hardly get a complaint back to them

Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2015 at 4:22pm
you can definitely say the transition to the plastic balls has not been a seamless one...lol.
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2015 at 4:29pm

you can definitely say the transition to the plastic balls has not been a seamless one...lol.

Yeah - it's been a bouncy ride.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
42andbackpains View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42andbackpains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2015 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

Yeah - it's been a bouncy ride.

Thats the way the ball bounces. LOL
Mind is willing, but the back goes out too often :P
OSP Ultimate II 88 grams
FH Dianchi D w/ Secret Sauce
BH Butterfly T05 Red
USATT rating keeps going down
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2015 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by ZingyDNA ZingyDNA wrote:

Man you're like a couple years too late...

LOL +1

Edited by suds79 - 03/30/2015 at 4:59pm
NoRema View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoRema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2015 at 5:01pm
You're right! We should only play with 38mm balls until they get larger ones to play like the old ones...

Click the picture for feedback ^
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2015 at 5:19pm

I've been using a Nexy ball for about a month now and it hasn't broken.  It also plays well.
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2015 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by NoRema NoRema wrote:

You're right! We should only play with 38mm balls until they get larger ones to play like the old ones...

and scoring to 21
Hans Regenkurt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2015 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

If tt balls are not lasting a few hours , give them back to your retailer
at the moment Im sure the makers of the ball would hardly get a complaint back to them

It would be a lot of good fun to involve the Customer Protection Office if you get balls breaking / out of round Wink Say you buy a 150 pcs box of plastic balls for a hefty sum of money. Then on starting to play with them you "discover" that most of them are unfit for use and break unreasonably fast and demand a reimbursement and some compensation for your expenses.

This game can be played on and on until they either:

1. get you perfect balls
2. make your club rich :D

Starting a boycott now is pointless and funnily enough, we do not hear of pros wanting to undo the ball change. What I can imagine is that they will decrease diameter tolerances a bit but everybody is silent about that.
Ray View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2015 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by piligrim piligrim wrote:

on tournaments you have to use plastic ball. how you gonna boycott plastic balls? not to play tournaments? so you punish yourself

His punishment will be free plastic balls on tournaments. So, boycott will definitely pay off.
Life is too short for defensive play.

https://twitter.com/spinnier_com
fb.me/spinnier
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2015 at 6:04pm
Butterfly is charging $10 for 3 balls. Great...
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2015 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Butterfly is charging $10 for 3 balls. Great...

The money grab was predicted by many when the first announcements came from the ITTF.

You'd think that now with less hazardous material and all that saving on shipping costs that the price would be lower - right?  Yeah right.  It was never about those things and the retailers/manufacturers are currently passing along their re-tooling/transitioning costs.  In time we may get down to less than $2/ball on average, but maybe not...
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic