Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Maintaining the cleanliness of your handle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
_maddic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _maddic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Maintaining the cleanliness of your handle
    Posted: 03/30/2015 at 11:33pm
yesterday , i scrubbed off all the dirt and sweat deposit off my blade's handle with some heavily diluted bleach. never knew how dirty it was , until i saw the water becaming dirty black.

and my handle went back to the color which i first bought it , a nice shade of purple instead of the dirty grimy purple that it was.

So , the question is

what's a good way to maintain the cleanliness of the handle ?
or to prevent it from getting dirty in the first place (with frequent usage)

Sponsored Links

jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2015 at 11:34pm
Toothpaste and an old toothbrush. 
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2015 at 11:53pm
You could seal the handle with varnish (store bought or TT brand) and it should prevent the build up from sticking to the wood.  The drawback is that the handle may be more slippery in your hands than before as you sweat.

Edited by schen - 03/30/2015 at 11:53pm
Feedback | FOR SALE - updated Mar 19

Dynasty / H3 / H3
IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2015 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

+1

Also makes your bat smell nice
GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2015 at 12:21am
Use grip tape.  When it gets disgusting, just replace it with a new one.
OSP Ultimate II, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max
ITC Challenge Speed, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/Powercell Ultra 48 Max
_maddic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _maddic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2015 at 12:38am
Originally posted by IanMcg IanMcg wrote:

+1

Also makes your bat smell nice

it looks so nice and clean , i don't even feel like dirtying it now ;<
_maddic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _maddic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2015 at 12:40am
Originally posted by GMan4911 GMan4911 wrote:

Use grip tape.  When it gets disgusting, just replace it with a new one.

thanks , will look into this , time for more TT shopping :)
and probably ask my TT shop if he can help to varnish my handle like Schen suggested
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2015 at 11:22am
If the handle is extra dirty, let the toothpaste sit for 15 minutes. Then rinse well.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
pdotec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2015 at 11:52am
Originally posted by _maddic _maddic wrote:

yesterday , i scrubbed off all the dirt and sweat deposit off my blade's handle with some heavily diluted bleach. never knew how dirty it was , until i saw the water becaming dirty black.

and my handle went back to the color which i first bought it , a nice shade of purple instead of the dirty grimy purple that it was.

So , the question is

what's a good way to maintain the cleanliness of the handle ?
or to prevent it from getting dirty in the first place (with frequent usage)

Wash your hands before your play LOLLOLLOL
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2015 at 11:56am
Should I care if my handle is dirty?  Currently I don't.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
RyKnocks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RyKnocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2015 at 12:52pm
I can see the merit of wanting a clean handle. With a $30 blade maybe not so much, but a $120+ blade I can definitely understand. It's all about protecting your investment and maintaining resale value. Or, some people just like their things to look nice :)
BTY Viscaria: FH Black Battle II / BH Red 802-40 2.0mm

Galaxy W-6: FH: FH/BH Yinhe Big Dipper 38*
roypnoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roypnoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2015 at 12:54pm
Install grip tape.  I like bright color grip tape but it gets dirty easily so get the black over grip tape.

http://www.amazon.com/Wilson-Sporting-Sensation-Tennis-Racket/dp/B006UNYPQQ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1427820826&sr=8-5&keywords=wilson+overgrip+tape

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2015 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by roypnoy roypnoy wrote:

Install grip tape.  I like bright color grip tape but it gets looks dirty easily so get the black over grip tape.

http://www.amazon.com/Wilson-Sporting-Sensation-Tennis-Racket/dp/B006UNYPQQ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1427820826&sr=8-5&keywords=wilson+overgrip+tape

There - fixed it for ya Wink.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
roypnoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roypnoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2015 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Originally posted by roypnoy roypnoy wrote:

Install grip tape.  I like bright color grip tape but it gets looks dirty easily so get the black over grip tape.

There - fixed it for ya Wink.

Thanks Clap
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2015 at 1:18pm

If the handle is extra dirty, let the toothpaste sit for 15 minutes. Then rinse well.

... and don't forget to floss.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2015 at 2:58pm
I like the dirty look...means it's been played.  I like guitars with the bodies worn thin. 

When I was in high school and kids were racing, I always rooted for the old primer covered muscle cars.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2015 at 3:13pm

I use Tibhar sealer. It is a light water based sealer that I seal the whole blade with including the handle. It is not sticky and leaves a wood feeling for the handle. Also it protects the wood and prevents dirt and perspiration from getting into the wood.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2015 at 6:31pm
*senses opportunity for a potentially successful "TT Paddle Detailing Business"...
Knuckle Ball View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knuckle Ball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2015 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by schen schen wrote:

You could seal the handle with varnish (store bought or TT brand) and it should prevent the build up from sticking to the wood.  The drawback is that the handle may be more slippery in your hands than before as you sweat.

I seal my blades with sanding sealer, handle and blade surface. Real nice and shiny, wood is protected against moisture and dirt. Yes it may get slippery when moist with sweat but I love it that way as I twiddle my blade during the game.
Blade: Rosewood NCT V
FH: Dignics 05 Black
BH: Moristo SP Red
Knuckle Ball View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knuckle Ball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2015 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by schen schen wrote:

Blade: Rosewood NCT V
FH: Dignics 05 Black
BH: Moristo SP Red
sonykurniawan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sonykurniawan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2015 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

I like the dirty look...means it's been played.  I like guitars with the bodies worn thin. 

When I was in high school and kids were racing, I always rooted for the old primer covered muscle cars.

+1
Its like a beat up old pair of jeans... Very cool
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2015 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by sonykurniawan sonykurniawan wrote:

Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

+1
Its like a beat up old pair of jeans... Very cool
+2
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic