Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Critique Requested!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BinaryLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BinaryLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Critique Requested!
    Posted: 04/03/2015 at 12:52am
Hey guys! I recently recorded a match between me and a friend and would like to hear any critique on the way I play and how I can improve. Link is below. Apologies in advance for the sub-optimal footage. I didn't have a camera stand, so I just asked my friend to record it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y8xZQOtaY0

(I'm the guy on the left in the yellow shirt.)
Sponsored Links

_ttguy View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _ttguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2015 at 7:09pm
Hi BinaryLoop,

I just watched your video couple of times but did not notice any significant issues, best of all - you move quite good around the table! Basically you just need progress/improve naturally, which of course may take years.. To speedup the progress you might get some lessons from a coach on regular basis, or join a training group that does specific patterns/drills.

There are some smaller issues I noticed, some of them I have/had as well :)
First, the FH push looks a bit non-optimal. You can watch some TT coaching videos to learn different types of pushes - short/long, but the main thing in both is keep the ball as low as possible. Also not to use too much wrist unless you really know what you are doing.

Then the BH - I had similar issue and it's kind of hard to get rid of.. It goes like that - you might not be in best "ready" position when fast long BH shot comes at you. Then you return it (block or weak counter drive) and next thing you do - you step back like 3 feet... I know it is natural reaction, but I guess you need to start with "ready" position on BH side, maybe stay at bit farther away from the table to begin with? Then it won't be as unexpected. And the last important piece - do not step back on BH ever. Spend as much time as needed on BH drills, but make a habit not to backup - that is important for your future development.
If anything, you should move in making BH short (and FH for that matter) - it adds power and precision and ability to lift the heavy spin ball compare to just neutral position or backing up during the shot.

Hope that helps!

smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2015 at 8:47pm
funny I counted the score at 12 each with you at 12 first
just improving your third and fith ball loops, and returning more serves will benifit both of you two
on average most rallies were short so just work on getting the ball in play one more time will see you go up (the average for that game? was 2.54) seems low but thats real life fast table tennis
 you have a good array of shots, so good shot selection and doing some point stratagy type drills
keep it up
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic