Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Butterfly Powersponge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
pokerden View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pokerden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Butterfly Powersponge
    Posted: 07/01/2006 at 2:09pm

Ok...I just put on the butterfly powersponge bryce and sriver...
at least I think I did...there are no distinguishing features that make it different from regular sriver or bryce...basically looking at the rubber I see no difference...there is no PS or anything acknowledging it is a powersponge...other than that it arrived in a foil packet.
Sponsored Links

wfwfitz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfwfitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2006 at 2:24pm
Well, let us know how they play.
Wfwfitz
Xiom Axelo
Xiom Sigma Pro Red and Black
Butterfly Amultart
Tenergy 05 Black and Red 64
SDRamones View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SDRamones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2006 at 6:15pm

Originally posted by pokerden pokerden wrote:

Ok...I just put on the butterfly powersponge bryce and sriver...
at least I think I did...there are no distinguishing features that make it different from regular sriver or bryce...basically looking at the rubber I see no difference...there is no PS or anything acknowledging it is a powersponge...other than that it arrived in a foil packet.

Not even on the sponge side?  No markings at all?

Sean Ramones - USA 91709
Ebay Feedback
For Sale
pokerden View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pokerden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2006 at 8:13pm
No markings whatso ever to indicate powersponge...at least nothing recognizable...there where codes on the back of the sponge.
I was thinking I might have been ripped off...until I hit with it :)
There is definitely the glue feel and the sharp "cracking" sound when you hit the ball. The harder you hit it, the more pronounce it is. Very spinny, lots of power and control...Its not as fast as my bryce with 4 layers of glue...but it was a lot spinnier. I think this may be because my bryce is wearing out...I find that as I keep gluing regular bryce, it gets faster but less spinny.
I used Basic Chack to put it on the blade (timo boll spirit). I am quite satisfied with the play...but I am wondering how long it will last.
Yes I am using the aluminum bag and the straw to inflate it...That part is a pain in the butt. Still better than glueing though :)

-pokerden
P�r$son View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pr$son Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2006 at 5:19am
Sounds really good, tell us in a few weeks/months how they look like...
BUTTERFLY
Korbel SK7 straight
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05
Best Setup ever !
Alexm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alexm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2006 at 8:47am
Thanks, and please tell us how Sriver PowerSponge plays too.

pinguino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinguino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2006 at 2:22pm

Do you know why Butterfly is not selling teh Power sponge?  You can not see it at www.butterfly-wolrd o www.butterflyonline.com.  Butterflyonline was advertizing the rubber but the already removed it

Any comment?

ttman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2006 at 2:33pm

do a search I already answered this but not many ppl believed me

I said this

players were using this rubber at an international tournament and got dq'ed because bty has put an illegal solvent in the sponge before production, I would advise ppl not to buy it or the new tibhar speedyspin tuned as both will be deemed illegal soon, this is why the rubber has not been released in japan and most likely wont be.

this is what tom from zeropong said

ALL equipment manufactures have received notice to vent the packaging on their rubbers as the sniffers have detected unacceptable solvent levels in fresh rubber.  The ITTF has recommended that the manufacturers �air out� rubbers prior to packaging or as the lease vent the packages.  I had 2nd hand info that some of the newer Japan effect type sponges have unacceptable levels if tested too close to the production date.  I do not know what manufacturers they are.  I assume that the players were not DQ�ed as the ITTF figured out it was the product and sent a letter to the manufacturers.

Butterfly is the MOST responsible company when it comes to getting rid of toxic glues, and I am sure they will be one of the first to spot check their stock for levels of solvent outside the tolerance.  It is like when the ITTF first started spot checking new 40mm balls they found problems with some of the balls in all brands, and the manufacturers adjust.

Tom

phrixion View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phrixion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2006 at 3:58pm
Isn't airing out the package basically ruining what they've been trying to accomplish? I don't think I would want an aired out BTY Power Sponge rubbers.
Blade: Whatever is close
Rubber Sheet: Whatever still has some grip.
ttman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2006 at 4:07pm
fatcomet View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatcomet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2006 at 5:39pm
so you all better learn to play with unglued sriver
P�r$son View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pr$son Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2006 at 5:49pm
This is amazing !!

So BTY Powersponge will never come to the real market ?!

O M G !!!
pokerden View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pokerden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2006 at 8:55pm
ttman,
No offense...but tom said he did not believe the players were DQed...its in your own message :-P. Even tom says his information is second hand about the new type sponges...and that all equipment manufacturers were sent messages to vent their packages (btw...powerspnge comes in a SEALED package...so no venting there :-P )

The powersponge is not the perfect solution to the glue problem but it is a step in the right direction. There are a bizillion less fumes with it than with speed gluing. But there are some issues...one is the damn bag is a pain in the butt...it takes some dexterity to slip the straw in one side and screw everything together...and guess what...by the next morning the damn bag is deflated.
I think there is also an issue of how long it will last. I have gone 6 days with it.
I don't think the effect today was as good as the first day I tried it...but I can't quantify it yet.
Today I played my first US Open event...and ended up on defense almost all my games as opposed to my normal attacking game...must be nerves.
Since the topsheet is the same as regular bryce...if the effect eventually goes away ...I guess I will start speed gluing again :)
AZNpenholdloop View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZNpenholdloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2006 at 9:06am
can any one post pics of the power sponge and its packaging?
pinguino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinguino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2006 at 9:17am

Look here for information about the bag

http://www.dandoy-sports.com/index.php?cName=batcovers

pinguino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinguino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2006 at 9:29am

But , what Butterfly is saying concerning the solvent?.  Remember that you have to use a straw to inflate the bag.

I bought the bryce and the Butterfly Alu Bag CO�, and I would like to be informed about the consequences.

Why butterfly is not informing the public?

Why some vendors continue selling the product?

WizardOfOz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WizardOfOz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2006 at 1:22pm

Originally posted by AZNpenholdloop AZNpenholdloop wrote:

can any one post pics of the power sponge and its packaging?

Hi AZNpenholdloop, I took some pictures of my Bryce FX PowerSponge 2.1mm rubbers when I just got them 3 days ago in their original packaging. I will upload the pictures later tonight. The only difference in the packaging is the sealed aluminum foil covering the rubber. On the back of the sponge I noticed that previous Bryce FX 2.1 sponges had some Japanese letters beginning with a �FF� and these ones have a �GA� instead, not sure what that means though. Several things are written on the covers but I don�t know Japanese so I can�t tell the difference.

Speed and control are identical to my previous fresh glued FX rubbers with 2 thick layers. More spin and somehow louder click on the powersponges, if the sponge characteristics stay for 3-4 months like Butterly claims this will be the way to go. I also bought the ALU BAG but honestly it is becoming too much trouble to use that bag and looks pretty awkward to me.

Kreanga Carbon

FH - Bryce FX PowerSponge 2.1mm

BH - Bryce FX PowerSponge 2.1mm

Previously:

FH - Bryce FX  2.1mm glued.

BH - Cermet    2.1mm glued.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WizardOfOz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2006 at 10:33pm
BTY Photino
FH Solcion 2.1
BH Solcion 2.1
JRSDallas View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRSDallas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2006 at 12:18am

OK,  I bought Bryce PS Max for my FH and BH and bought the Al CO2 bag.   I have diligently stored the entire racket in the bag and have played with the sponge for about 1+ weeks (4 times).

The sponge does feel excellent with good click and glue feel equal to 3 layers of glue.  Truely superb given there is no glue.

On the other hand, I have watched the sponges shrink over the past week so that they now leave a thin silver ring of blade surface all the way around the sponge (I have a Kreanga Carbon).   This annular ring is about 2mm thick on average.  The sponges still feel really good but I can't say they feel as amazing as they did on the first day.  The cork sound doesn't seem as loud either.  

Now its possible that I caused the ring to form because of how I put them on and cut them.  On the first attachment, I used Clean Chack (a non-speed glue) and even though it is a basic glue, I think that it still made them expand a little bit before I attached and cut them.   Because my blade is a KC and more difficult to stick to, I've had to reattach the sheets to my blade with both clean chack and speed glue (occasionally an edge peel up off the blade because of a push and once the loose area gets a bit to big, I've got to reglue it.)  

I think that it would be better to use let the initial coat of glue dry for 4 hours to let any glue expansion, relax back down before sticking on and cutting the sheet.  Alternatively I might try a butterfly glue sheet since that way there won't be ANY expansion so, there will be less chance for subsequent shrinkage.  (Glue sheets stick pretty well to the KC.)   Also, I don't know if the regular or speed glue causes the sponge to loose gas faster or not, bif so, a glue sheet would preserve the integrity of the sponge better than any glue would.   PLUS - in the end, you should have a sheet of regular bryce that won't be too small and you could start to speed glue it again.

pokerden View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pokerden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2006 at 8:19pm
Ok...its been little over a week...played with Bryce PS on forhand and sriver ps on backhand at the us open. It is still "clicking" and feeling good...my fear that it lost some effect was mostly me chopping and defending...today I was the charlotte club and the effect is still fully there.

On a side note...Butterfly (Martin Kilpatrick) had 6 sheets at the us open. They had no price and were unwilling to sell it...but I was told that it would be "substantially" more than the regular versions of the rubber.

Also...presports.com had mention to me that they would be getting the PS stuff in august...So I don't think its exactly "dead".
ttman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2006 at 8:17am
I would not be suprised if the price was $59.99 I bet will be
pinguino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinguino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2006 at 9:33am

Bryce US$ 41

Sriver US $32.57

Free shipping

www.dandoy-sports.com

I am just a client...

ttman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2006 at 9:42am
I know that, I bought a few sheets from them to sell I get a discount when I order there im saying butterflyonline.com will sell it for $60
Patmandidily View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patmandidily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2006 at 2:40pm
I think it will cost either the same as Bryce or a couple dollars more for the powersponge type. That's what I was told by the Butterfly booth at the US open a couple days ago
Blade - Bastian Steger Flared (Butterfly)
Rubber - Sriver 2.1 FH
              802-40 2.2 BH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WizardOfOz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2006 at 4:08pm

Originally posted by JRSDallas JRSDallas wrote:

On the other hand, I have watched the sponges shrink over the past week so that they now leave a thin silver ring of blade surface all the way around the sponge (I have a Kreanga Carbon).

Yes, I'm having the same problem with my Kreanga Carbon. I have to be careful not to put any pressure on the rubbers when gluing them or else I will get some shrinkage too, the blade's surface is very slippery.  Thanks for the recommendation about the quick glue sheets I just ordered some. BTW I'm using clean chack glue; have you found any other glue that bond better to KC?

BTY Photino
FH Solcion 2.1
BH Solcion 2.1
JRSDallas View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRSDallas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2006 at 1:27am

I use a fiberglass sponge (3M type of sponge that is used for scrubbing pots or in the rougher variety, for sanding wood), to lightly roughen the surface so that glue can get a better mechanical grip.    

Just very lightly buff the the shine off the surface of the KC (i.e. put some fine scratches into the paint).   You don't need to do much, so lightly buff and look at the surface in the light.  Buff the areas that still shine and make sure to get the perimeter since thats where the rubber likes to let go. 

A glue sheet will grip pretty well even without the sanding sponge treatment.  I recommend the Butterfly glue sheet since it is thinner and easier to remove than some of the other glue sheets.   However, if you really want the rubber to not peel back when your push hits the table, use a TSP or other high stick glue sheet. 

With any glue sheet, lay it down using a roller so that you don't get bubbles.  If you do get a bubble, prick the bubble to let the air out.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WizardOfOz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2006 at 12:17pm

Yep, I just ordered 10 BTY glue sheets just in case I want to try other rubbers. I will try the sheets first although the sanding solution sounds good too I will try that if needed. The powersponges shrink a little anyway, last night I was re-gluing them to the same blade but the rubber size is actually a bit smaller now so I ended up putting some pressure to compensate for the smaller size .

BTY Photino
FH Solcion 2.1
BH Solcion 2.1
wfwfitz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfwfitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2006 at 3:04pm
The shrinkage is probably happening because the glue expands the rubber.  You have to wait for the dome to go away which is a sign that the sponge has lost its expansion then apply it to the blade with a roller but make sure not to press too hard as this will stretch the rubber.
Wfwfitz
Xiom Axelo
Xiom Sigma Pro Red and Black
Butterfly Amultart
Tenergy 05 Black and Red 64
JRSDallas View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRSDallas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2006 at 6:57pm

When I originally glued my power sponge sheets on, I did not do any stretching.  What expansion could have come from the 1st coat of regular glue would not account for the amount of shrinkage I now see in my power sponge rubbers.

On the other hand, I've spent the last year trying to avoid glueing and have moved from rubber-to-rubber and blade-to-blade trying to find that magic combination of speed, spin and feel.   It hasn't been great for my game.  Now in the first night back on the Kreanga Carbon and trying power sponge that same night, it becomes clear how much is missing from all of the rubbers I've tried compared against glued sponge (and glued Bryce in particular).   I'm now looking at going back to regular Bryce, glueing 3 layers and just staying with that. 

I also notice that while the red has more power, the black has more spin and gives more control on my FH loops.  So I now need what perturbation Red Bryce FX on the FH or perhaps Black Hard Sponge on the FH provides vs regular glued Bryce.  Then I'll pick my combination and stick with it (......except I have some sheets of Couga I could glue). 

Also, the Red Bryce has more power than the Black Bryce. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WizardOfOz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2006 at 1:08pm

Originally posted by JRSDallas JRSDallas wrote:

So I now need what perturbation Red Bryce FX on the FH or perhaps Black Hard Sponge on the FH provides vs regular glued Bryce.  Then I'll pick my combination and stick with it (......except I have some sheets of Couga I could glue). 

Hey JRSDallas seems like we are in the same boat! We should get together and share some rubbers, blades, ideas etc... That will be fun. I'm also in the Dallas area (Plano actually).

Speed glued rubbers work great but it's a hassle and expensive to re-glue all the time, I bought some of that BTY and Tibhar long lasting glues but no go either. The speed glue will work for about 5 days but they don't tell you that after 2 days the glue effect will start diminishing so the following 2-3 days the glue effect is not consistent anymore. So to make the long story short, I was hoping the BTY PowerSponges will consistently last 3 months at least, I have been using mine everyday for about a week and everything ok so far, time will tell. Meanwhile I want to try Couga or the Andro Plasma rubbers. I tried Juic varites rubbers but no spin on those, very fast but very little spin.

Ohh BTW I�m testing another blade with Nittaku Narucross Tension rubbers, and they feel great! No speed glue needed so far cause the tension is pretty good! Does anyone have had any experience with Narucross?

BTY Photino
FH Solcion 2.1
BH Solcion 2.1
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic