FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Different Glues: Pro's and Cons

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2015 at 10:48pm
schen: Your comments on the Vario clean seem to indicate that it might have reacted with something, either something already on the blade or on the rubber. Removal from the blade is generally dead easy, removal from the rubber can be hard if it's been on there for a long time. The Vario Clean is similar to many other glues, including the Butterfly one which is just somewhat thicker and stronger (making it harder spread and remove). I'm sure many are made in the same factory.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
Sponsored Links

schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2015 at 1:35am
It wasn't my bottle of glue so perhaps the guy i borrowed it from had mixed it with something. There was nothing on the new sheet of tenergy or my blade (unsealed and only used with wbg) it could've reacted to
Feedback | FOR SALE - updated Mar 19

Dynasty / H3 / H3
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2015 at 8:07am
My VarioClean is sticky, but I find it easy to remove from blades, Steve.  Rubbers, not as easily, but if the layer is thick on the rubber, it comes off much more easily.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
ahsq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahsq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2015 at 4:26pm
can someone please advise the proper way to use Tear Mender on a lacquer blade with soft porous sponge??

FS:
Xiom Vega Pro ST 85 grams $80 shipped
Donic Waldner Senso Carbo JO shaped ST $40 shipped

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2015 at 6:10pm
wturber has posted a lot on this, he examined many methods of using Tearmender.

here are two of his posts, you may have to go back earlier to find more, but I think his most detailed description of the best way to use it is on OOAK forum. 

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=42988&KW=tearmender&PID=534119&title=glue-alternatives#534119

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=45690&PID=567640&title=glue-comparison#567640
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2015 at 8:49am
I use Tear Mender for a couple of years now.  It's easy to clean up (I re-glue often), and it's fairly cheap, but not any more though, unless you live in US.  I order Tear Mender through Amazon Canada, and currently it is quite expensive.  I am trying to find some alternative now that is easier to get.  Anyone has any suggestive?  Has anyone used Speed-sew, which is also a fabric latex glue as well?

Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2015 at 9:18am
Am I the only person in the world using Xiom I-Bond?  I find it easy to use: the sponge applicator does the job, there's enough in a small bottle for a dozen rubbers, it holds well but not too well.
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2015 at 9:52am
Nothing wrong with the Xiom I-Bond glue...I use this for pimples in OX. It's stronger than most glues and spreads very thin (both vital properties for OX rubbers). I find it's harder to get off the blade, and you'd be well advised to seal the blade.
Most glues work just fine, although some take a little more to get used to than others.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
kevo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2015 at 10:11am
Joola Lex glue is pretty good.  Dries quickly, good bond and comes off with little trouble.  I am worried about bloody water based glue warping or changing the wood on my precious OSP Immune OX blade, however.  I'd love to get a hold of some Tearmender but they don't sell it in Ireland!
assam View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2015 at 11:21am
I use copydex and never had any trouble
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2015 at 11:51am
For the guys who have ordered tearmender from walmart. Have you ever had it lump up on you, inside the bottle, when you received it?

I bought from ebay in the past. Orderd and received my second one last week. This was the new bottle of tearmender with a straw and etc. Totally clumped up. Only getting a yellow liquid coming out of it. No adhesive at all.

Im Trying to establish a good source for it.

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
hidasjoki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hidasjoki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2015 at 2:47pm
I use Revo #3 glue on my blades and usually either xiom I-bond or Butterfly free chack on the rubber. The revo #3 is gentle on the wood and the stronger more adhesive glue on the rubber creates a better bond than just using Revo on both blade and rubber. 
<3
Gtbana1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gtbana1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2015 at 3:06pm
Revo #3, two coats on blade and three on rubber. I use the 'Clicky press' for a few hours and I'm ready to go.
Removing the glue is the best part, it comes off in one piece on both blade and rubber with no residue.
BTY Viscaria, T05,V>401
BTY Innerforce, T05, T64
ahsq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahsq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2015 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by asifgunz asifgunz wrote:

For the guys who have ordered tearmender from walmart. Have you ever had it lump up on you, inside the bottle, when you received it?

I bought from ebay in the past. Orderd and received my second one last week. This was the new bottle of tearmender with a straw and etc. Totally clumped up. Only getting a yellow liquid coming out of it. No adhesive at all.

try buy it on amazon.
FS:
Xiom Vega Pro ST 85 grams $80 shipped
Donic Waldner Senso Carbo JO shaped ST $40 shipped

igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2015 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

I use Tear Mender for a couple of years now.  It's easy to clean up (I re-glue often), and it's fairly cheap, but not any more though, unless you live in US.  I order Tear Mender through Amazon Canada, and currently it is quite expensive.  I am trying to find some alternative now that is easier to get.  Anyone has any suggestive?  Has anyone used Speed-sew, which is also a fabric latex glue as well?

WE always use this stuff to our entire satisfaction.
http://www.spirithalloween.com/product/pint-of-liquid-latex/97.uts?keyword= liquid latex&thumbnailIndex=2
zhan2133 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zhan2133 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2015 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by Tassie52 Tassie52 wrote:

Am I the only person in the world using Xiom I-Bond?  I find it easy to use: the sponge applicator does the job, there's enough in a small bottle for a dozen rubbers, it holds well but not too well.
That's my first glue.  It has strong bond, maybe too strong.  I had blister in my hand when trying to remove glue on my blade for an hour...  Never went back.
wankhao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wankhao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2015 at 1:49am
LV short for $900?
crackfst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote crackfst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2015 at 2:19am
Originally posted by alex5908 alex5908 wrote:

Mine is like this

this is a good speedglue. And the great thing is, it is way cheaper and lasts longer than most WBGs.

Also if you just do one layer and let it dry very nicely, it doesnt bother tensioned rubbers at all.

I dont think a bit of solvent can do that, if you howewer speedglue the hell out of your rubber with tons of layers, maybe even glue wet, thats probably harmful for tensioned rubbers

I also doubt that it could be detected after a week if you let it dry enough before gluing(and there would be zero competitive advantage or solvent related health risks anyways then)

Edited by crackfst - 07/04/2015 at 2:20am
Darker Speed 90 Jpen
Tenergy 64
igszoctan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote igszoctan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2015 at 12:47pm
As far as Nittaku Finezip concerned I hate it. It is too thick, dries fast and I cannot simply apply it evenly on the surface :-(  Furthermore. it is expensive too.

However, Revolution 3  is great :-) Easy removal, nice flat layers. Child's play to deal with.

Edited by igszoctan - 07/04/2015 at 12:50pm
igszoctan
Fh: Rasant PowerGrip (2.1)
Blades: Appelgren Allplay
Bh: Rasant Powersponge(1.9)
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=66928&PID=807706󅌚
Strength and honour
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2015 at 3:08pm
LATEX MILK (ditto Revolution3 glue) --THE BEST PING PANG GLUE.

Chemical pundits did found out what liquid ingredients the REVOLUTION 3 GLUE is made of.

The one and only ingredient is n a t u r a l   l a t e x   m i l k   which extracted largely from Heveia tree Malaisian plantation.

USA cheapest suppliers of the latex milk :
http://www.spirithalloween.com/product/pint-of-liquid-latex/97.uts?keyword=latex&thumbnailIndex=3#productDetailTabs2

http://www.liquidlatexstore.com/clear-liquid-latex-face-body-paint-16-oz.html
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2015 at 3:18pm
   LATEX MILK (ditto Revolution3 glue) --THE BEST PING PANG GLUE.

Chemical pundits did found out what liquid ingredients the REVOLUTION 3 GLUE is made of.

The one and only ingredient is n a t u r a l__l a t e x__m i l k   which extracted largely from Heveia tree all over Malaisian forest.

USA cheapest suppliers of the latex milk :
http://www.spirithalloween.com/product/pint-of-liquid-latex/97.uts?keyword=latex&thumbnailIndex=3#productDetailTabs2

http://www.liquidlatexstore.com/clear-liquid-latex-face-body-paint-16-oz.html
unstopabl3 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2015 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by Gtbana1 Gtbana1 wrote:

Revo #3, two coats on blade and three on rubber. I use the 'Clicky press' for a few hours and I'm ready to go.
Removing the glue is the best part, it comes off in one piece on both blade and rubber with no residue.

Why so many layers? Isn't one layer on blade and two on rubbers good enough?
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2015 at 7:32pm
Butterfly now makes Free Chack II for gluing the Tenergy series. I bought some to try, the bond is very good, the removal works okay.
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
MLfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MLfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2015 at 11:08pm
How's Revolution no. 3 compared to finezip? I've been using finezip for so long I can't remember how the other glues play like...

how many layers do you need for revolution?
unstopabl3 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2015 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by MLfan MLfan wrote:

How's Revolution no. 3 compared to finezip? I've been using finezip for so long I can't remember how the other glues play like...

how many layers do you need for revolution?

I have just glued rubbers on a brand new blade for the first time with Finezip. The glue dried damn fast, literally in seconds, I couldn't even apply the sponge on the blade without having the glue dry up on me and creating lumps (the ones when you try to remove dried glue). I had to remove the glue three times on each side before I was able to spread the glue evenly and accurately as I desired. I couldn't dare to apply a second on the blade or the rubbers from the fear of lumping the previous layer.

Maybe this was due to my blade being sealed? But strangely never had such a problem with Butterfly Free Chak, which is so easy to apply and doesn't clump or dry so damn fast.

And after using the blade for about 1 week, the rubbers have seemed to come off from the top edges, indicating not strong bond or not adequate spread of glue.

Anybody experience this and any ideas how to fix this problem?
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2015 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

Butterfly now makes Free Chack II for gluing the Tenergy series. I bought some to try, the bond is very good, the removal works okay.

Yes, pretty good glue.
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2015 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

WE always use this stuff to our entire satisfaction.
http://www.spirithalloween.com/product/pint-of-liquid-latex/97.uts?keyword= liquid latex&thumbnailIndex=2
======================================
After switching from rubber cement to Tearmender 3 or 4 years ago, I have been happy with it . It is cheap, one bottle will last for 3 years or so.  I bought it from Walmart.

Edited by skip3119 - 10/17/2015 at 8:21pm
skip3119
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2015 at 9:27pm

I'm Trying to establish a good source for it.

These days I buy the 6oz (think - next to the smallest size) bottle at Ace Hardware for about $7-8.

I originally started using and promoting Tear Mender because so many of the first water based glues were silly expensive and that really ticked me off.  I went searching for a water-based equivalent to generic rubber cement and TearMender and CopyDex were what I found.  I actually found CopyDex first, but couldn't find a reasonable way to get it to the U.S. My continued search led me to TearMender. I still used it mostly because it is easy to glue Dr. Evil with it.  If I use a rubber with a cloth back, I'd probably switch to rubber cement.

Nowadays there are many options that are equally reasonable in price.  So if Tear Mender is expensive in your area, then I'd suggest switching to something else.  If CopyDex is available in Canada, then you might try that.  Everything I've read suggests that it is very similar to Tear Mender. CopyDex is common in Great Britain and perhaps parts of Europe.

Edited by wturber - 10/17/2015 at 9:32pm
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2015 at 10:54pm

==========================

I have had no problems with the tearmendor that I bought from Walmart.  3 or 4 years ago I bought one bottle, recently I bought another bottle - no problem at all.

Delivered right to my house.
skip3119
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2015 at 11:19pm
thank you both ^^

Yeah I ended up buying from walmart too ( I think, or amazon, i gotta check tbh).
It has stayed very well. I actually take a precaution and after putting some on sponge, i close it and then put the whole bottle inside a ziplock bag haha.
It might sound stupid but my last one jammed up inside after about was it 8-9 months. 

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic