Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Should I buy $30 or $50 range rubbers to rally?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Should I buy $30 or $50 range rubbers to rally?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2015 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by ahsq ahsq wrote:

Originally posted by GeneralSpecific GeneralSpecific wrote:

I absolutely love Omega 5 Asia, the only thing that will ever make me switch from Omega 5 Asia is if they make an Omega 6 Asia.

You definitely shouldn't have bought Sigma 1 since it's going to become illegal in about 2 months. I still don't think you should have bought any of those rubbers and went with vega rubbers or some of the other more controlled rubbers that several people have suggested to you. You're not the first person to post threads like you've been posting. You are among many many people who come here, ask us these same equipment questions, and when 90 percent of the responses are for you to buy more controlled (but still quality) equipment instead of high speed extremely spin sensitive tensors, tenergies, and fast carbon blades you ignore the advice and buy them anyway. Maybe you just have to learn the hard way... Good luck though.

Just for the record, I read and took you guys' advices wholeheartedly, I have used Vega PRO and EURO from other players in my area and did not like it. 

Sigma I Pro is OOS, I am getting Joola Maxxx 450 instead, read its a good BH rubber.

My advice is better.  If money is an issue, don't buy any rubber you haven't tried, perhaps on a friend's blade.
Sponsored Links

Victor_the_cleaner View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor_the_cleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2015 at 3:49pm
Joola Maxx is NOT good BH rubber, especially for beginners. It is very very spiny and consequently reactive to spin. Your serve return will make you miserable. Also away from the table it does not throw the ball as predictably as Rhyzm. Don't listen to every body here, at least half of them are fools, not kidding. I know you don't know which half and if I am in the half, but you have to use your instincts to filter some of the advice out. Go Rhyzm and you will never regret it. Go any XIOM and the moment you touch Rhyzm you will regret your xiom purchase. Vega Pro is actually not bad, but you didn't like it, and i doubt you will like the rest. All xiom rubbers feel similar, their sponge has a very specific feel, not chinese but not jap or euro for sure. 
Also T11 is a great blade, given the price and class. I play with it occasionally, using my friend's spare paddle. It is very stable, no vibration, and decent speed. I don't think you need to change your blade for quite a while. Don't buy softer, slower blades, they just ruin your game.
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2015 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by Victor_the_cleaner Victor_the_cleaner wrote:

Joola Maxx is NOT good BH rubber, especially for beginners. It is very very spiny and consequently reactive to spin. Your serve return will make you miserable. Also away from the table it does not throw the ball as predictably as Rhyzm. Don't listen to every body here, at least half of them are fools, not kidding. I know you don't know which half and if I am in the half, but you have to use your instincts to filter some of the advice out. Go Rhyzm and you will never regret it. Go any XIOM and the moment you touch Rhyzm you will regret your xiom purchase. Vega Pro is actually not bad, but you didn't like it, and i doubt you will like the rest. All xiom rubbers feel similar, their sponge has a very specific feel, not chinese but not jap or euro for sure. 
Also T11 is a great blade, given the price and class. I play with it occasionally, using my friend's spare paddle. It is very stable, no vibration, and decent speed. I don't think you need to change your blade for quite a while. Don't buy softer, slower blades, they just ruin your game.
Rhyzm is Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up
Joola Maxx needs u to have a very active stroke when receiving serves. Put the Joola Maxx on fh. XIOM's Omege is good on FH 
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
ahsq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahsq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2015 at 4:43pm
there's 500 and 450 Maxxx. 450 being medium hardness for BH.

FS:
Xiom Vega Pro ST 85 grams $80 shipped
Donic Waldner Senso Carbo JO shaped ST $40 shipped

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2015 at 5:11pm

He's telling you something from experience.  He may be wrong, but the wrong way to respond is to quote something general that does nothing to address his point.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
ahsq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahsq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2015 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

He's telling you something from experience.  He may be wrong, but the wrong way to respond is to quote something general that does nothing to address his point.

then whats a right way to respond. i didnt know that stating the rubber facts is general? the guy did not post what Maxxx hes talking about. I researched. I relate to the medium sponge for backhand. 

I do not get to try out all the big names out there and then I choose this or that. 

Also, are you going to tell me you would put a Maxxx 400 for FH? Obviously not. Saying that my response was wrong is one sided. 

Edited by ahsq - 04/16/2015 at 5:21pm
FS:

ahsq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahsq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2015 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by AcudaDave AcudaDave wrote:

I would recommend buying $60 rubbers as your playing level goes up exponentially with each $10 increase in price. Wink

That being said...I do think the Japanese and German rubbers are better quality overall than many of the Chinese brands. I know there are many good Chinese rubbers out there, but there also seems to be a problem with consistency as sometimes I've bought a sheet of Chinese rubber that developed bubbles or had the topsheet come unglued.

ha! my premade A6002 has the bubble problem. On both sides. what a waste.
FS:

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2015 at 5:32pm
I once would have and still can. People use Maxx 400 on the FH as well. Ultimately, sponge is as much about preferences as it is about swing speed.

If you have not played with the rubber, you can't tell if it suits your BH. Just wait and find out. His opinion is his.

Edited by NextLevel - 04/16/2015 at 5:37pm
Cybershape Carbon
ahsq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahsq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2015 at 6:06pm
hell yea, excited about it. have Baracuda to try as well!
FS:

Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2015 at 6:27pm

450 Maxxx is suitable for FH as well LOLLOLLOL
ahsq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahsq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2015 at 10:03am
well well well, I switched to the all europe setup and I am not going back!

Thanks to GS for posting his signature. Omega V Asia is awesome. Looping is better than BlueFire M1, M2 and Omega Pro IV that I tried before. 

My usual coach missed all the rally balls last night and I am happy that he cant b!tch about my setup anymore. 

Baracuda lacks speed but is spinny for BH, should I get a Xiom Omega V Tour or any other faster rubbers?
FS:

Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2015 at 12:47pm

well well well, I switched to the all europe setup and I am not going back!

Thanks to GS for posting his signature. Omega V Asia is awesome. Looping is better than BlueFire M1, M2 and Omega Pro IV that I tried before. 

My usual coach missed all the rally balls last night and I am happy that he cant b!tch about my setup anymore. 

Baracuda lacks speed but is spinny for BH, should I get a Xiom Omega V Tour or any other faster rubbers?
Good for you, a lot of people find the Asia series a little bit too hard; may be you can check out the Nittaku Fastarc LOLLOLLOL
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2015 at 12:50pm

Originally posted by AcudaDave AcudaDave wrote:

I would recommend buying $60 rubbers as your playing level goes up exponentially with each $10 increase in price. Wink

That being said...I do think the Japanese and German rubbers are better quality overall than many of the Chinese brands. I know there are many good Chinese rubbers out there, but there also seems to be a problem with consistency as sometimes I've bought a sheet of Chinese rubber that developed bubbles or had the topsheet come unglued.

ha! my premade A6002 has the bubble problem. On both sides. what a waste.
Whats A6002 and how much does it cost?
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
ahsq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahsq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2015 at 1:27pm
FastArc is another premium rubber like Airo....? damn it im broke. Maybe I should get a cheap chinese rubber for BH?

DHS A6002, its cheaper than a V asia.

FS:

Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2015 at 2:22pm

FastArc is another premium rubber like Airo....? damn it im broke. Maybe I should get a cheap chinese rubber for BH?

DHS A6002, its cheaper than a V asia.

S-1 is only ~$30 usd
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2015 at 2:39pm
Don't waste your money (yeah, right). Just play with what you have. Whatever it is, and depending on whatever you consider an increase in level, your real problem was your blade. Other than that, there are many reasonable possibilities.

Most people who want to play modern offense should use something in the ALL+ to 0FF range with controllable rubbers. The specifics can be tailored to specific game skills once strokes and improvement are relatively complete. But it is natural and okay to change, because until one has mature and advanced strokes, one can never be convinced that equipment is only as good as the user. Until you can make 20 good loops in a row, it is hard to see what equipment is really doing to your loops.
Cybershape Carbon
ahsq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahsq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2015 at 2:51pm
thanks
FS:

ahsq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahsq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2015 at 2:57pm

.... Until you can make 20 good loops in a row, it is hard to see what equipment is really doing to your loops.

Do you mean the same direction loops or oscillation topspin style from opponent?
FS:

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2015 at 4:29pm

.... Until you can make 20 good loops in a row, it is hard to see what equipment is really doing to your loops.

Do you mean the same direction loops or oscillation topspin style from opponent?

I mean you topspin to block 20 times - you loop and your partner blocks and you can loop with control into your partner's block consistently with your rally loop.  That way, you can have an idea what your basic loop is like with one rubber vs. another rubber.  If your blocker is good, he can tell you whether the loops seem faster or spinnier and you can sometimes even tell by how well he is blocking them or how consistently you are placing the ball.  But when you don't have a consistent shot, you will often blame the equipment (rightly or wrongly, usually wrongly).  Making one good fast loop doesn't mean much, making 5 with similar power and placement under control is more important.

Ideally, you should test all your shots, especially your block and push, but at least, the loop is a quick benchmark for an advanced player once you assume that spin generation and spin sensitivity go together.
Cybershape Carbon
ahsq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahsq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2015 at 4:51pm

I mean you topspin to block 20 times - you loop and your partner blocks and you can loop with control into your partner's block consistently with your rally loop.  That way, you can have an idea what your basic loop is like with one rubber vs. another rubber.  If your blocker is good, he can tell you whether the loops seem faster or spinnier and you can sometimes even tell by how well he is blocking them or how consistently you are placing the ball.  But when you don't have a consistent shot, you will often blame the equipment (rightly or wrongly, usually wrongly).  Making one good fast loop doesn't mean much, making 5 with similar power and placement under control is more important.

Ideally, you should test all your shots, especially your block and push, but at least, the loop is a quick benchmark for an advanced player once you assume that spin generation and spin sensitivity go together.

I do that easily. the repeated Point A to point B looping is easy to me. 

What I have problems before was Point A to point B, then Point A to point C, then Point A to point D from the partner. I didnt have that issue last night with my setup. 

I wish get to play you to show you what I mean.
FS:

bes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2015 at 4:51pm
If you can't comfortably loop 20 in a row with the Galaxy N9 - or any allround blade with Moon on it, you have issues that equipment won't fix.  Even remotely correct technique will allow you to loop very nicely with about any inverted rubber.  One of the better players (over 2100) in our club a couple years ago was very fond of regular ~$15 Inspirit.  He had no problem spinning or powering the ball - even though he weighed ~135lbs soaking wet.

You have apparently already convinced yourself that you need a super light paddle (likely a bad idea), a carbon blade (ditto), and high $$ rubber.  Some thoughts:

Really light blades are often tricky to control and hence generally less consistent.  It seems like they react to every little twitch of your hand and fingers, which can be a problem.  Some good players use them, but these players have remarkable touch, technique, and dexterity.  Very light paddles often require MORE input to get similar results (not generally drastically more, but more). Unless you are less than about 100lbs, or have some significant physical issue, handling a 180g paddle should be no problem.  Granted, you'll have to get used to it, but the additional stability and more consistency could well be a good thing.  But that is your decision - just be aware than there are complications with going super-light.

Carbon blades (or other super material reinforced) are something some love and others hate.  I don't think they are a good idea for most (relative) beginners.  Learning to actually generate power using proper technique (legs, waist, shoulders - all working in the proper sequence) is a CRITICAL skill if you have aspirations towards high-level play.  Fast blades and high $$ rubbers can cover up for some very bad habits and poor technique.  They MIGHT help if you goal is to beat one slightly better guy next week.  They likely to hurt, or at least slow you down a bit if your goal is to become a USATT 1800 (or better) two wing looper.  If you learn to loop properly and with power using "moderate" equipment, stepping up to a "super" blade later may have a nice effect.  

Same with rubber.  You need something consistent.  Lots of inexpensive rubbers are consistent - even a good number of Chinese ones.  Depending on your strokes and taste you might need firm, medium, or soft sponge - suit yourself.  I think Omega V - and a good number or the other rubbers mentioned are ridiculous for someone who is still learning to loop.  It is fast and spinny to be sure, but it can be a little finicky and (like essentially all super rubbers) demands accurate responses (be they counters, blocks, or counterloops) to incoming spin.  

For fun, put some of your 2008XP on your slowest blade, then loan it to a good player at your club.  Bet him $50 that he can't beat a player ~100 points lower than him, then stand back.  I'm 100% sure that, after about 30 seconds of warm-up, they'll be able to loops very nicely with no problem.  This test is VERY likely to cost you $50 though!

Spending your money, time, and brain cells on a better coach, lots more practice, and maybe technical research (online training videos, online matches, etc.) rather than equipment catalogs and reviews would be a far speedier path to improvement.

bes
p.s. I didn't listen either when I started out.  Like (likely) everyone else telling you to "simmer down on the equipment front", I've been there and done that and really wish I hadn't!  I totally understand the lure of finding the perfect blade, rubber, or combo.  It is fun and a challenge.  But it isn't the quickest or cheapest way to improve!

Edited by bes - 04/29/2015 at 4:53pm
ahsq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahsq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2015 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by bes bes wrote:

p.s. I didn't listen either when I started out.  Like (likely) everyone else telling you to "simmer down on the equipment front", I've been there and done that and really wish I hadn't!  I totally understand the lure of finding the perfect blade, rubber, or combo.  It is fun and a challenge.  But it isn't the quickest or cheapest way to improve!

Thanks for the through reply, I didnt try to use N9 with Moon after the glued OEM 729 RITC rubber was too slow for looping. I am very happy about my current setup. I need little adjustments but thats all i think i need. V Asia does a slow/fast play exactly as how I wanted.

I think I'd be with this all euro setup for a while. 

ps. are all euro chicks also this consistent and high ended? :D
FS:

ahsq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahsq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2015 at 5:11pm
by the way, I loop low bounce close to the net and about 2 loops per second. 

I have seem others do high bounce and slow loops, I cannot stand that as I'd smash it dead.
FS:

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2015 at 5:33pm

by the way, I loop low bounce close to the net and about 2 loops per second. 

I have seem others do high bounce and slow loops, I cannot stand that as I'd smash it dead.

My friend, you are still learning about this sport - try to learn more, rather than believe you understand everything based on simple reasoning like fast is better than slow, or low bounce is better than high bounce.  You may be right, but you will find that there are always things to learn.
Cybershape Carbon
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2015 at 5:39pm

I do that easily. the repeated Point A to point B looping is easy to me. 

What I have problems before was Point A to point B, then Point A to point C, then Point A to point D from the partner. I didnt have that issue last night with my setup. 

I wish get to play you to show you what I mean.

Sure - I will be at the NYISC at College Point at least two more times this year to play league matches.  If you can make it there, let me know.
Cybershape Carbon
ahsq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahsq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2015 at 5:39pm
yea easy to pick up years to master. 
FS:

asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2015 at 10:48am
Tg3 neo on fh . I can do about 30-35 average rally strokes.
Bh is omegq iv pro , very old has a slick spot, switching to omega v on monday. With the old omega i can do about 40ish rallly strokes against my friends double moon pro.

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
ahsq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahsq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2015 at 1:28pm
hows the V compared to IV?
FS:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic