FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Stiga Carbonado QC still poor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stiga Carbonado QC still poor
    Posted: 04/14/2015 at 3:09am
Disappointing quality control despite the nicer finishing at first for the price of the blade.  This cpen Carbonado 145 came from Stiga China.

It's a shame, because before the outer ply bubbled on me, the backhand play was excellent with T05 - possibly close to my favorite.  The other reviews on TTD that suggest 145 is similar to Viscaria is correct - the feeling was very close (not to be confused with Taksim which is 7mm thick and hollow feeling from the balsa core).  My FH side seemed somewhat poor, but that may be because of the defect on this blade...

Anyone have any thoughts on how I might be able to repair this one?  I've repaired splinters before with wood glue with good effect and gouges with wood filler, but I've never encountered bubbles like this before.

Edited by schen - 04/14/2015 at 3:16am
Feedback | FOR SALE - updated Mar 19

Dynasty / H3 / H3
Sponsored Links

TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2015 at 3:27am
It is simply shocking!

I also play with 145 Cpen and it is my favourite at the moment. What kind of glue do you use? Any idea what went wrong? I understand it is Stiga's QC fault but there must be something to trigger it. I wonder what it is.
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2015 at 3:33am
I've been using diluted DHS #15 glue for a long time, no problems on the BH face of the blade or any other Stiga blade I've used in the past.  Glued and stuck like normal.

FH felt really off when I first used the blade, which makes me suspect the bubbles were already there and when peeling the rubber off just made it more visible.  This problem would have happened with any sort of glue - it wasn't the same kind of problem as splintering like their older blades with wbg.

I'm talking with the customer support from taobao to see what can be done, it was quite a hassle and expense importing a cpen version because none of the major retailers elsewhere have them Ouch

Dynasty / H3 / H3
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2015 at 3:53am
I see. Thanks for your share. So it is not a "glue too strong" problem but definitely a Stiga issue. Hope you can get your compensation but I don't have any faith on taobao sellers. Good luck. I bought my 145 Cpen from Sweden online. I see Dandoy has it too.

BTW I also use DHS #15 glue and find it too thick to spread even. I always get ugly glue mark showing through the rubbers. What can I add to dilute it?
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2015 at 4:01am
A small amount of water is enough to dilute it.

And good to know that dandoy has it, I will keep that in mind if I decide to give it another chance.  Not having much luck with the taobao guys at the moment...

Dynasty / H3 / H3
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2015 at 4:40am
Oh my god. That's horror!

I have also tested the Carbonado, but furtunately I had no problems.
How old is the paddle? I think, you should not repair (accept) these damages.
Try to get a new blade or money back.
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2015 at 4:42am
Thankfully after some haggling I am having the taobao agent send a replacement while I send this wreck back :/

The paddle was brand new... that was after testing day 1.  

Dynasty / H3 / H3
Leftyy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leftyy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2015 at 11:12am
Very sad to see, I really like how my Carbonado 145 performs and no problems with the quality what so ever. Hope you will get a new one without any problems! 
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2015 at 1:06am
Originally posted by schen schen wrote:

I've been using diluted DHS #15 glue for a long time, no problems on the BH face of the blade or any other Stiga blade I've used in the past.  Glued and stuck like normal.

FH felt really off when I first used the blade, which makes me suspect the bubbles were already there and when peeling the rubber off just made it more visible.  This problem would have happened with any sort of glue - it wasn't the same kind of problem as splintering like their older blades with wbg.

I'm talking with the customer support from taobao to see what can be done, it was quite a hassle and expense importing a cpen version because none of the major retailers elsewhere have them Ouch

a store from sweden has both version in cpen
OldSchool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2015 at 1:49am
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

Originally posted by schen schen wrote:

a store from sweden has both version in cpen

http://www.ttex.se/en/stommar/5942-stiga-bordtennisstomme-carbonado-145.html
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic