Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Help aerial become..OVER USATT9000!!![or 2000+ :)]
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Help aerial become..OVER USATT9000!!![or 2000+ :)]

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
aerial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aerial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help aerial become..OVER USATT9000!!![or 2000+ :)]
    Posted: 04/17/2015 at 3:37pm
Here're some vids of me playing at my most recent tourney with brief summary:

Match 1
Lower level player, no real pressure but I still had some butterflies in my stomach (first match of the day)

Match 2
God damn this kid's FH was good. I feel like I got lucky in the end haha

Match 4 (did not record Match 3)
God damn I played badly this match--I feel like if I played like I did in Match 2 I would have won no problem.

Match 5
Damnit me for throwing away a 2 game lead... 

Match 6
Damn all you OX LP users out there!

At this point I was eliminated from all my events, but bumped into another forum frequenter, none-other than generalspecific!

Match 7
I can't really complain much about this match like I did for Match4, 5, and 6. He's just a better play than me... for now ;)

So I hope you guys can help make me... OVER 9000!!! 

Edited by aerial - 04/17/2015 at 7:28pm
Sponsored Links

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2015 at 3:45pm
GeneralSpecific is much more dangerous than he looks - don't let him fool you with his All American Portugese Brazilian Shtick masked in Omega V Asia and midget pips.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
42andbackpains View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42andbackpains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2015 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

GeneralSpecific is much more dangerous than he looks - don't let him fool you with his All American Portugese Brazilian Shtick masked in Omega V Asia and midget pips.

Longpips, Mediumpips and choppers give me nightmares. My back started to hurt just by looking at that video...lolLOLLOLLOL
Mind is willing, but the back goes out too often :P
OSP Ultimate II 88 grams
FH Dianchi D w/ Secret Sauce
BH Butterfly T05 Red
USATT rating keeps going down
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2015 at 5:36pm
Aerial,

I looked at your game, and unfortunately, when I can't see something that explains the level at which someone is playing at, I just have to conclude that it is the level of spin in the shots that needs to be improved.  Your game looks good to me so far (and yes, there are technical flaws that are probably masked by my bad internet connection which makes it hard and annoying to watch the matches without interruption), but that said, for your consistency, you probably don't spin the ball enough.

Since General Specific played you, his comments will be most interesting.

Edited by NextLevel - 04/17/2015 at 5:37pm
Cybershape Carbon
aerial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aerial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2015 at 5:59pm
Thanks NextLevel. I'll take that as, at least I'm doing something right, haha

Edited by aerial - 04/17/2015 at 5:59pm
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2015 at 6:02pm
2000?
aerial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aerial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2015 at 6:09pm
I'm referring to the USATT ratings. Not sure if they do something different in Canada?

My spoof on the scouter level might have gone over some people's heads if they've never watched dbz... haha sorry about that.
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2015 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by aerial aerial wrote:

I'm referring to the USATT ratings. Not sure if they do something different in Canada?

My spoof on the scouter level might have gone over some people's heads if they've never watched dbz... haha sorry about that.

your current USATT rating 2000? does impossible
aerial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aerial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2015 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by piligrim piligrim wrote:

no sorry, my "goal" is to be 2000+

the title did not allow me to finish my full statement so I had to abbreviate it.

What I wanted to say was:

Help aerial become..OVER USATT9000!!![or over USATT2000 works too :)]

piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2015 at 6:22pm
oh. now okay. otherways I couldn't explain why my rating lower if I play better :)
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2015 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by piligrim piligrim wrote:

I don't think the OP is currently USATT 2000 since the subject is "help aerial become 2000+" - technically it could mean he is currently 2000 and want at least one additional point to be 2000+, but that's not the way I read it.  BTW I think he has a nice foundation to get better.  Edit ----you guys cleared up the misunderstanding before I posted.

Edited by tom - 04/17/2015 at 6:25pm
aerial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aerial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2015 at 6:37pm
Thanks Tom, I appreciate that comment.

I've been told for a while now that I have good fundamentals and nice shots but I think my level goes down a lot when I play matches.

When I was at SDTTA in San Diego (was traveling for work) I was hitting with this guy named Duong--we never played a match because neither of us initiated, but after Duong left this other guy came named rodel and I was in for a treat... I had never ever played such a consistent lobber that could also counter attack from the back-court.

rodel was surprised when I mentioned to him my rating and thought I was close to 2000, and when we started playing our match and I missed some of his serves, he was like "Okay, I believe you now about your rating" 

We played two matches-- the first match was not very good and he beat me handedly, but I think he was going a bit easy on me this second match which caused for some pretty nice rallies:

Edited by aerial - 04/18/2015 at 9:34pm
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2015 at 6:38pm
I think the OP is more around 15-1600.
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2015 at 6:48pm
I know that we tend to remember the spectacular rather than the mundane, but I like your backhand spinny opener. It gives you a few winners as opponents over hit plus it sets up your FH attack. I also like that you stay calm during the rallies and tend not to rush things. Lots to build on.

Edited by Tinykin - 04/17/2015 at 6:49pm
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
aerial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aerial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2015 at 7:26pm
Thanks for your comments Tinykin :) 
In the past my backhand was a very glaring weakness and I had better footwork to compensate and use my FH in the backhand corner.
I've since opted to attempt a more 2-winged style
I drilled my BH flip a lot and I think it does help me get the initiative in the rally but something I need to work on is if my opponent serves deep into my backhand I should use more of an actual backhand stroke instead of a flip
I think for this past tourney I've changed my bad habits of flipping in my deep court and have developed a backhand side that is at the very least not a liability.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2015 at 7:33pm
What you really need is a high class shot or weapon. Too many rallies. Just an above average consistent point winning tactic. How would you define your game? That may help me understand your success.
Cybershape Carbon
aerial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aerial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2015 at 7:35pm
Well when I play tournaments I always try to think "Consistency is King" so I try not to use too much power and when I miss or do an unforced error I always remind myself to tone it down a notch.
I've been told by some high level players that my FH needs more "kick" and that my timing might be off by a few seconds, nobody has mentioned that but in my head it is something I try to remind myself--to have more horizontal component in my stroke.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2015 at 7:49pm
The solution to your problem is easy. You need more focused training in the 5 shot framework as server and receiver with a focus on ending the point or getting a significant advantage. Start with serve and attack. Work with hookum on serve return of sidespin serves. You can be 1800 by the end of this year of you fix your attitude to the first five shots of the point.

You can't be consistent without posing some problems for your opponent.

Edited by NextLevel - 04/17/2015 at 7:53pm
Cybershape Carbon
aerial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aerial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2015 at 8:01pm
edit: didn't read carefully. thanks NL, sound advice.

Edited by aerial - 04/17/2015 at 8:03pm
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2015 at 8:29pm
If you don't want to hit with power, use more angles and break the sidelines more.
Cybershape Carbon
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2015 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Her name is Spectol and she finds the term "midget pips" offensive. I'll be making a post tomorrow with this video. Expect my comments on the match there.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
ashishsharmaait View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2015 at 9:56pm
Hi OP,
Tips which can help you.
Try to stay lower while playing. Bend from the knees and not from the torso.
Your front leg is crossed after you fh pendulum serve. Get the front leg further out so you have a better transition.
Your BH open needs to have a lower arc. Its too high as of now. Spin does not help much if the ball is that high.
Bend a bit more while counter looping. You are trying to hit the ball too hard. At this level it is more important to get good placement on the counter loop and consistency. Nobody will attack a counter loop to the BH at this level.
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2015 at 10:43pm
I watched the videos and think the OP is good when opening the actions. But definitely needs to improve his defense and his block.
And in game 6, if you struggle with OX pips why did you keep sending balls to that side?

Edited by TT newbie - 04/17/2015 at 10:48pm
aerial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aerial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2015 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by ashishsharmaait ashishsharmaait wrote:

...Your front leg is crossed after you fh pendulum serve. Get the front leg further out so you have a better transition....

I think I have my left leg relatively in front of my right when I serve and when I go into ready position I don't imagine any crossing of legs happens. I'm not sure what you mean by this? 
aerial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aerial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2015 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by TT newbie TT newbie wrote:

I watched the videos and think the OP is good when opening the actions. But definitely needs to improve his defense and his block.
And in game 6, if you struggle with OX pips why did you keep sending balls to that side?
Well, if you saw the way he was standing/hitting--he was using his backhand to cover the whole table aka his OX side

After his BH serve with inverted he would twiddle and then cover the whole table with his BH side again.

I feel like more often than not, I just naturally attack toward my opponent's FH side--I don't really think or aim to attack the backhand which is something I need to work on.

Edit: so I rewatched the video and yes I did still just naturally attack the FH side more, but regardless he continued to block dead balls back to me with his OX... I hate watching these kinds of matches especially since I lose solely on my crappy technique vs a type of rubber I don't get to practice versus regularly

Edited by aerial - 04/17/2015 at 11:30pm
popperlocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2015 at 11:38pm
Very impressed with GS. Quickly turned into a solid player. @Ariel, you don't have a follow up attack. You must keep attacking ruthlessly if you want to level up.
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2015 at 11:39pm
So while I will be posting my own thread with our video tomorrow I decided that since my thread isn't going to be about anybody's improvement I should give you some overall tips. After watching the other videos and playing you, I would say that your number one need for improvement is serve return. You had some trouble against sidespin and sidespin/topspin serves popping them up a bit high or hitting them out sometimes. Second most need for improvement is recovery time. You're good at getting in position for your initial strong attack but if that attack comes back you're not completely ready for the next ball. Finally, the third most need for improvement is your backhand against block and against topspin. Your opening loop against backspin is quite good but when the ball is either blocked or hit to your backhand your return is kind of basic and safe.

Your forehand is very good. Like we talked about, a harder rubber and it will improve. NextLevel mentioned increasing spin but honestly your spin was really good and in one point during our match you managed to spin it enough to make it pop up and out from my short pips. So other than you backhand against topspin like I mentioned, your spin was pretty high. We still have your water bottle and you still need to pick it up. I super look forward to playing you again my friend.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
ashishsharmaait View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2015 at 12:14am

Originally posted by ashishsharmaait ashishsharmaait wrote:

...<span style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px; : rgb251, 251, 253;">Your front leg is crossed after you fh pendulum serve. Get the front leg further out so you have a better transition....</span>

I think I have my left leg relatively in front of my right when I serve and when I go into ready position I don't imagine any crossing of legs happens. <span style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px;">I'm not sure what you mean by this?</span><span style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px;"> </span>

Right after you serve your left leg comes back as you stomp and is cross. If someone were to put a BH open to your BH open to your BH you will be in trouble.

aerial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aerial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2015 at 12:20am
sidespin/topspin to my BH is a problem I must admit.

In the past my BH was a glaring weakness and I couldn't do anything with it--during my late high school years I managed to get my hands on a friends robot and basically drilled vs backspin nearly everyday after school for a week or two so I guess this explains my spinny backhand open-up, but you're totally right as a few others have mentioned as well, my backhand is not very good against topspin--I pretty much just counter-hit or punch block when it's topspin.

Recovery time is also key as multiple folks mentioned that... I admit, I am guilty for "posing for pictures" as clubmates from my home club have dubbed it. And I really do need to keep on the relentless attack or at least continue with a decent attack--watching my video against rodel the lobbing extraordinaire, after he got in a nice counter-attack from the back court I just touched it over a lot when I could still continue the attack. 

I wouldn't go so far to say as my FH is "very good" but I appreciate the sentiment haha

My FH can be good when I make a good stroke. I used to use exclusively Chinese stuff--especially when I first started since I was still a student and did not have any of my own money, but it's been almost 2 years since I've been working and I plan on making the switch to an ESN rubber.

I used to keep a log of what I used and this is more or less all the rubber combinations I have ever used from my start to now:
Cream MRS/ Cream MRS
SP Transcend /Focus 3
729 SST /Focus 3
Skyline 3 / Yasaka New Era
Globe 999T / Yasaka New Era
IQUL / IQUL SV
Air Illumina /Air Scirroco
729-08ES Black 2.15 / IQUL SV
DHS H2Neo / IQUL SV
DHS Tinarc3 Soft / Yasaka MarkV HPS Soft

as anyone can see... I am unfortunately a seasonal equipment junkie and have changed rubbers pretty much every time my current ones wear out. I'm a strong believer in technique over equipment but I can't help myself when it's time to buy something--I usually buy something different.

I bought a sheet of Bluefire M1 Turbo for my FH so hopefully that goes well.

I do admit Tinarc3might be a bit soft for my FH but my thought process was that since it is a Chinese rubber, despite being labelled "soft" it would actually be like medium soft and I was right--but the switch from H2Neo to Tinarc3 is still somewhat drastic, but on the same note, my reasoning for using Tinarc3 was to eventually switch to an ESN rubber... just to try one out.

I dunno... I always feel like equipment is a crapshoot for me. In the end I kind of get used to whatever and my stroke just molds onto whatever I'm using at the moment. Wonder of M1turbo will make me like it enough to stick with something for more than one cycle.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2015 at 12:36am
aerial, you saw me a time or two and know my philosphy... Open heavy and then hit hard. Block if you have to, sometimes allow opponent to attack and I block with a plan.

You deservedly get a bad rep for not playing with heavy spin to make your first shot. You don't show much of an inclination to do that. Of course that doesn't mean you cant topspin heavy, in fact, I saw a few of your heavy topsins (one FH and one BH vs the older gent) get blocked high & out for your EASY point.

I agree with teh ones who are saying to develop a plan to initiate the attack first, but you look like you need to do it in a much more decisive manner that puts your opponent under more pressure. Right now, all he has to do is block it at your crossover or wide angle FH (at least wide enough to make you do one big step moving to your FH) and you are missing more than 50% of your follow attacks vs balls hit to those two zones.

The practice you have with Snivey is gunna help to a good degree, but it isn't gunna get you much above 1750 anytime soon. You are going to need to go back to drawing board on slow mo multiball (your openers on balls to crossover, BH, and FH) for some of these shots and slow mo combination multiball (like say start with Open w/FH or BH, then step around and be ready to attack strong with FH). Then add more speed to the drill as you get the shot and sequence down. There will be other combinations.

Like NL is saying, you will need to find a way to generate more bat speed and go for more spin and on next ball more pace. You have the ability to do both, but at the way you are playing right now you will not shoot up in level doing what you are doing. If you want to play as a blocker in some of those rallies, look for a way to take the ball off the bounce. I saw you do it sometimes, but not consistently. Whenever you took the ball late, you either missed half the time or opponent wasn't pressured at all and you were under more pressure. You wont get close to your goals doing that.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic