FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

DONIC Acuda blue P3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2015 at 5:11am
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Originally posted by the_theologian the_theologian wrote:

So P3 has a 40deg sponge...hmm. I wonder how close it plays to Maxxx400. I haven't liked the bluefires I've tried; topsheet felt mushy compared to Maxxx.

The Acuda blues would be risky for you mate. They are the ultimate in topsheet mush. They are easy to use but are miles away from Maxx's feel.

darn. I was hoping the thin topsheet would and 40 deg sponge would resemble Maxxx. oh well
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
Sponsored Links

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2015 at 5:37am
Originally posted by dual700 dual700 wrote:

Andy, how's the spin of RB and P3 compared to other popular tensors? Or to Haifu Shark RS Big smile

Thank you

Spin is good with P3, RB is just a bit too bouncy and needs a more precise contact to get the spin out, but is still OK.  I guess that the harder-sponged versions will be better for spinning the ball hard, with power.  I find it harder to get spin out of P3 than with JP03, for example, but you can play a flatter, more direct game with P3.  With plastic I find myself driving the ball more on my BH than looping these days so stability is becoming important to me.  I find there is less need to loop on that side now, and just smacking the ball is more effective.

Shark is another good one to think about - it also has that wafer-thin topsheet experience.  P3 and RB have better topsheet grip than Shark but both are slower, especially in the low gears.

These rubbers are more driving, hitting, blocking rubbers with enough grip built in to loop well (if not amazingly).  The softer you go (P1 - P2 - P3 - RB) the bouncier you get and the further away from loop performance you go IMO, but I guess about P2 and P1 at this point.  Shark is somewhere on the right of that scale, but for topsheet reasons.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2015 at 5:40am

So P3 has a 40deg sponge...hmm. I wonder how close it plays to Maxxx400. I haven't liked the bluefires I've tried; topsheet felt mushy compared to Maxxx.

The Acuda blues would be risky for you mate. They are the ultimate in topsheet mush. They are easy to use but are miles away from Maxx's feel.

darn. I was hoping the thin topsheet would and 40 deg sponge would resemble Maxxx. oh well

The topsheet is thin, but super soft and the thin, tall pips add to that.  The sponge is a new thing too.  It's rated at 40 but feels softer.  P2 would probably be closest in overall feel to Maxx 400, at a guess.

I've been using Victas V>15 Limber for a bit too, and it has a 40 degree sponge.  But it feels miles harder than P3, and not just because of the topsheet - the sponges feel totally different to the touch.  The ESN sponge ratings are becoming a bit misleading these days IMO.  The different types of sponge make is hard to compare directly.
Figueiredo81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Figueiredo81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2015 at 6:59am
Acuda Blue sponges are really and I mean REALLY SOFT. I started by testing the middle one P2 and it is crap, too mushy. How should I put it... Never tried anything so soft in my life and I'll give it away. It's softer than Evolution FX-P, softer than Tenergy's-FX as well and I won't even try the P1, I've had enough. Also the throw is really really low, almost felt like playing Bryce again except for the mushy feel. For me it's garbage and I really can't see any positive sides on this rubber.  
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2015 at 8:01am
Originally posted by Figueiredo81 Figueiredo81 wrote:

Acuda Blue sponges are really and I mean REALLY SOFT. I started by testing the middle one P2 and it is crap, too mushy. How should I put it... Never tried anything so soft in my life and I'll give it away. It's softer than Evolution FX-P, softer than Tenergy's-FX as well and I won't even try the P1, I've had enough. Also the throw is really really low, almost felt like playing Bryce again except for the mushy feel. For me it's garbage and I really can't see any positive sides on this rubber.  

Ooof.  What's your blade?
dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2015 at 10:58am

Originally posted by dual700 dual700 wrote:

Andy, how's the spin of RB and P3 compared to other popular tensors? Or to Haifu Shark RS Big smile

Thank you

Spin is good with P3, RB is just a bit too bouncy and needs a more precise contact to get the spin out, but is still OK.  I guess that the harder-sponged versions will be better for spinning the ball hard, with power.  I find it harder to get spin out of P3 than with JP03, for example, but you can play a flatter, more direct game with P3.  With plastic I find myself driving the ball more on my BH than looping these days so stability is becoming important to me.  I find there is less need to loop on that side now, and just smacking the ball is more effective.

Shark is another good one to think about - it also has that wafer-thin topsheet experience.  P3 and RB have better topsheet grip than Shark but both are slower, especially in the low gears.

These rubbers are more driving, hitting, blocking rubbers with enough grip built in to loop well (if not amazingly).  The softer you go (P1 - P2 - P3 - RB) the bouncier you get and the further away from loop performance you go IMO, but I guess about P2 and P1 at this point.  Shark is somewhere on the right of that scale, but for topsheet reasons.

Thank you mate!!!!Clap
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2015 at 11:19am
You know, Acuda Blue is going to be one of those marmite rubbers.  Some people will just hate it based solely on its softness, and I suppose the extreme softness will result in some bad combinations with blades.

First and foremost, you will need to like soft rubbers.  And I don't mean the ones labelled "soft" in the current generation (for example is Rakza X Soft really soft, or medium).  I'm not sure we've really had a properly soft option from ESN for a year or two now.  Back in the day we had F3 Big Slam, Coppa X3, Aurus Sound etc.  These were sooooooft.  Now we have P3, Rasant Beat, Plaxon 350 (350!).  These are a return to properly soft rubbers.

Secondly, I think the ball selection will have an impact.  I used the P3 first with cell, and it was really good.  Not a long term option, but still.  Then it was the Nittaku Premium 40+, and it felt great to me with this too, but that ball has a hard feel.  My last session was with a Yinhe 40+ with about 6 hours of use on it and it felt much more muffled on contact and I didn't feel as comfortable with it (although the results were OK on the table).

Thirdly, and this is just aimed at me really, it's getting hard to compare new rubbers with old because so much has changed.  I use a rubber, get a feeling, compare than with a memory, but the ball has changed.  So how much of this is useful?  It's very tough to not be misleading.
Figueiredo81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Figueiredo81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2015 at 11:28am

Ooof.  What's your blade?

I used Plastic and a Clipper CR, a medium feeling blade and a good benchmark I like to use, I have harder blades as well as softer ones that I use constantly but with this Acuda P Blue that was not even an option, I really hated it, for me this rubber might be only good for beginners or players that like buttery feel rubbers. Oh, almost forgot to inform you and this is important, I boost and applied 3 layers of TRF. Even when I got it out of the package (unboosted, no smell) I knew I was not going to like it, it was already too soft and this was the P2. I suppose the P3 melts itself. P1 might feel around Tenergy FX, I dunno and don't care anymore with this series of rubbers, not my cup of tea.  

Edited by Figueiredo81 - 07/03/2015 at 11:45am
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2015 at 2:43pm
Did you ever try it unboosted?  It may have reacted badly to the TRF - they are already soft, so expanding the sponge further could have resulted in the mush you felt.

A clipper is a good, happy medium blade so it serves as something of a yardstick (or warning even) to other readers.

Don't try the Rasant Beat.  Softer than P3.  I can't imagine your internet rage.
ahsq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahsq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2015 at 1:06pm

Did you ever try it unboosted?  It may have reacted badly to the TRF - they are already soft, so expanding the sponge further could have resulted in the mush you felt.

A clipper is a good, happy medium blade so it serves as something of a yardstick (or warning even) to other readers.

Don't try the Rasant Beat.  Softer than P3.  I can't imagine your internet rage.

Talking about a hard topsheet, Powergrip has a real hard one.
FS:
Xiom Vega Pro ST 85 grams $80 shipped
Donic Waldner Senso Carbo JO shaped ST $40 shipped

p1ngp0ng3r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p1ngp0ng3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2015 at 5:32am
Hey Andy,

Have you ever tried Rhyzm 375? If so, how does P3 compare to Rhyzm 375?
Especially interested in things like speed, throw and spin-sensitivity.

Thanks!
Infinity VPS - Hybrid MK - T25 FX
Purett View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2015 at 6:04am

would say its softer then donic vario big slam
rating solid 1000
moving up to 1001
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2015 at 4:02am
Andy, as a JP03 user who finds jp02 way too hard for flip, would you suggest to me to try P3 or P2? I need same hardness as jp03 but with a bit lower throw. I don't want the slingshot effect of acuda S2 and S3.  Thank you

Edited by seguso - 11/19/2015 at 4:05am
pg5x - mxd fh & bh - 2015 video
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2015 at 4:31am
Originally posted by seguso seguso wrote:

Andy, as a JP03 user who finds jp02 way too hard for flip, would you suggest to me to try P3 or P2? I need same hardness as jp03 but with a bit lower throw. I don't want the slingshot effect of acuda S2 and S3.  Thank you

This is a bit tricky.  P3 is a lot softer than JP03 - sponge is softer, topsheet softer, adds up to a lot softer.  I'd have to say go with P2 - although it has a harder sponge than JP03, it has the same uber-soft topsheet and so overall feels a similar hardness to JP03, but with different characteristics.  P2 is definitely lower throw than JP03, and flips well, but be aware that it's more of a blocking/hitting experience than looping.  I have to add that warning to the end because this new generation of ESN are quite different to the last, and it could come as a shock.
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2015 at 4:47am

Originally posted by seguso seguso wrote:

This is a bit tricky.  P3 is a lot softer than JP03 - sponge is softer, topsheet softer, adds up to a lot softer.  I'd have to say go with P2 - although it has a harder sponge than JP03, it has the same uber-soft topsheet and so overall feels a similar hardness to JP03, but with different characteristics.  P2 is definitely lower throw than JP03, and flips well, but be aware that it's more of a blocking/hitting experience than looping.  I have to add that warning to the end because this new generation of ESN are quite different to the last, and it could come as a shock.

I see. The key for me is "P3 is lot softer than JP03". So I must go with P2. Thanks a lot :)
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2015 at 5:11am

Acuda have always been mainly for block and punch, while keeping good spin on opening loops. Low throw is by design.

Acuda also makes sense if you don't want to change grip between fh and bh.

Edited by seguso - 11/19/2015 at 5:17am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic