Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Classic Rubber Comparison

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Blip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Classic Rubber Comparison
    Posted: 04/26/2015 at 10:51am
Helle MTT Community,

For the players that remember non tensor, tuned and glued rubbers, I'd like your feedback on comparing the following classic rubbers:

Butterfly - Sriver 
Stiga - Mendo
Donic - Coppa
Donic - Vario
Joola - Samba
Nittaku - Magic Carbon
Nittaku - Nodias
Yasaka - Mark V

On the grounds of Speed, Spin, Hardness & Durability; Sriver being 10 for all ratings and used as a baseline.

I've used Sriver, Samba & Mark V and although their speed is in the same ballpark their feel is different. After trying faster rubbers, I still find the classic rubbers are enough speed and are the most predictable/controllable. Looking to see who else feels that a classic rubber is best for their game and why.

Any feedback is appreciated. 

Thank you,
BL 

Edited by Blip - 04/26/2015 at 10:56am
Viscaria
T05 - Forehand
T05fx - Backhand

Please post my feedback here:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71402&PN=1#874345
Sponsored Links

Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2015 at 11:33am
Classic rubbers are probably best for most players. But try telling that to someone who sees an advanced player looping with tong sound.

The thing is, we as players only remember the big shots that we play because that's why we play. It's simply more fun to play with modern attacking rubbers (and blades) than the classic stuff.

Edited by Tinykin - 04/26/2015 at 11:33am
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2015 at 11:54am
Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

Classic rubbers are probably best for most players. But try telling that to someone who sees an advanced player looping with tong sound.
The sound you hear is wasted energy.  I know the fraction of wasted energy due to sound is small but it is nothing to be trying to achieve at the expense of kinetic energy for the ball.

frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2015 at 12:00pm

A developing player or any player wanting more control can't go wrong with Mark V, Nodias, Magic Carbon. All three of those are very good. Magic Carbon isn't available in the U.S.A to my knowledge anymore. There is something special about Mark V and I find myself always returning to it. Magic Carbon isn't that spinney but it has a superb top sheet that lasts a long time. The difference between Mark V max and a Tenergy FX is price, a bit less speed and spin but more accuracy for all shots. Sriver seems like it has seen better days ( still to expensive for it's performance). Mendo is a quality rubber but without speed glue or booster it's slow. Coppa has a fragile top sheet. Vario is Donic's version of Sriver and is also a bit slow. Nodias plays like a pillow and produces very good topspin, perhaps a tic faster than Mark V but isn't as good in the short game. Overall I would pick Mark V as the winner.   
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Blip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2015 at 12:22pm
Thank you for the feedback Frogger. Happy to hear from someone who's tried such a variety. 
Viscaria
T05 - Forehand
T05fx - Backhand

adishorul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adishorul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2015 at 1:38pm
What about xiom musa ? It is a modern non tensor rubber.
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2015 at 2:34pm
Also don't forget that Chinese rubbers such as Globe 999 and DHS Hurricane are also classic rubbers that have been around since the seventies. It's just that players boost them to keep up with the ESN and Bty type stuff.
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
Ranchi View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2015 at 3:44pm
i used to play with stiga mendo...
Blip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2015 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

Also don't forget that Chinese rubbers such as Globe 999 and DHS Hurricane are also classic rubbers that have been around since the seventies. It's just that players boost them to keep up with the ESN and Bty type stuff.

As far as Chinese rubbers go, I'm a fan of Globe 999. DHS, not so much. Didn't forget about these guys but the weight of these sheets have kept me from consistently using them. Globe is great.
Viscaria
T05 - Forehand
T05fx - Backhand

joshuadn11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joshuadn11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2015 at 7:15pm
i gotta admit, Mark V is still the classic rubber i go back to when i have to pick between those 

(i still remember the feeling when i first tried this rubber..and til this day, it still hasn't change) 
Joshie de GoIden
aerial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aerial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2015 at 10:21pm
has anyone that has used Mark V also used Mark V HPS Soft?

I bought MVHPS-Soft somewhat randomly and am sticking with my current setup for a while and concentrating on my technique instead of being an EJ.

I'm just curious if anyone can give a comparison.
Blip02 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blip02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2015 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by joshuadn11 joshuadn11 wrote:

i gotta admit, Mark V is still the classic rubber i go back to when i have to pick between those 

(i still remember the feeling when i first tried this rubber..and til this day, it still hasn't change) 

Unfortunately, last time I used Mark V it was magical for the first few sessions but quickly became dead/dull and lack of grip. I'm willing to give it another shot but so far even years old Sriver has treated me well. Let's not start a Mark V vs. Sriver war though. ;)
king_pong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king_pong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2015 at 11:51am
Originally posted by aerial aerial wrote:

has anyone that has used Mark V also used Mark V HPS Soft?

I bought MVHPS-Soft somewhat randomly and am sticking with my current setup for a while and concentrating on my technique instead of being an EJ.

I'm just curious if anyone can give a comparison.

I used to used Mark V, and then got a deal on some Mark V HPS Soft.  At first I did not like it at all.  The new HPS Soft seemed to have a quicker bite, and not the same dwell I was accustomed to from my regular Mark V (tuned).  My regular Mark V was quite used and tuned up, so I had developed a feel for it.   I was looking for something with the same dwell/control, but with faster speed.  HPS Soft had perhaps a bit more speed, but really didn't have the same dwell.  I think the top-sheet is the same formula, but that the pip length appears to be a bit shorter).  Needless to say, I put the HPS Soft down and didn't use it for a while.  
      More recently I have tuned up the HPS Soft with lamp oil/mineral oil, re-applied it, and I am now playing with it regularly with no issues.   I am now quite accustomed to it and like it well enough, though for dwell, I prefer the Max I bought to the 2.0 (bought 1 of each to compare).   In general, I think classic rubbers have a break in period that newer rubbers don't have, and that was probably why the HPS Soft felt better with tuning and more play. 

Stiga Infinity VPS (Master): fh/bh - Nittaku Hammond CR max
Blake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2015 at 12:41pm
I have been playing on the same Sriver 1.9 rubbers for almost 3 years and have absolutely loved them Great to learn on and durable as heck if you take care of them. You can probably get something a little better now days for a better price too boot though!
BTY Primorac
FH: Sriver 1.9
BH: Sriver 1.9
Taming a new beast...
Vega Pro
FH: Rasant Grip Max
BH: Tenzone Ultra SF Max
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic