Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

question of talent

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2015 at 3:58pm
My friend was in the Army training to become a Marine.  He said the training was definitely the Army's way to id talent, as many of them failed to complete the first stage, including him. 
Regarding table tennis, many Chinese coaches at the highest level believe if you give valuable training to inferior talent, you will definitely waste it...it's way too expensive to do so, but common in many countries where table tennis is less popular.  Most "reasonable" candidates can reach 2500-2600 with consistent, top training, but not everyone can be trained to become 2700-2800.  It's no different than training a person to become a top astrophysicist, pianist or brain surgeon.  Definitely not EVERYONE can do it, no matter how hard they try.  In contrast, most young people can be taught to finish college or become a so-so musician.

Edited by roundrobin - 04/29/2015 at 4:00pm
Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

Sponsored Links

wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2015 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

... but we can use response to a modest amount of training to argue that the individual will respond well to training in the future, including training possibly not yet performed. There may be other factors at work as well, but the question is not whether the test is perfect, but whether it is reasonably predictive.

Sure, but I wouldn't call that a test for talent. It might reveal motivation, different rates of physical maturity, background, etc.  And as a pragmatic measure, that's probably about the best that coaches and sports organizations can do.  But I think that such coaches and organizations should be cautioned against taking the results to the next step and suggesting that they've identified innate abilities or limitations.  They should be especially cautious when applying such notions to children.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2015 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

My friend was in the Army training to become a Marine.  He said the training was definitely the Army's way to id talent, as many of them failed to complete the first stage, including him. 
Regarding table tennis, many Chinese coaches at the highest level believe if you give valuable training to inferior talent, you will definitely waste it...it's way too expensive to do so, but common in many countries where table tennis is less popular.  Most "reasonable" candidates can reach 2500-2600 with consistent, top training, but not everyone can be trained to become 2700-2800.  It's no different than training a person to become a top astrophysicist, pianist or brain surgeon.  Definitely not EVERYONE can do it, no matter how hard they try.  In contrast, most young people can be taught to finish college or become a so-so musician.

The problem is in figuring out who can or can't.  And the reality is that we really don't know until they do.  And even if they "don't" it is often hard or impossible to say that they "couldn't." 

Didn't the Chinese coaches initially deny Deng Yaping a spot on the National Team because she was too short - even though she had already clearly shown the skills to compete at the highest levels.  She, of course, went on to prove that she was perhaps the best female player of all time. What would history show if they hadn't relented?  Preconceptions are dangerous things. 
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2015 at 4:16pm
Actually there was a long thread on about.com about this topic. Sean O'Neil was arguing on the side of hard work over talent. He mentioned, he was asked to train with Swedish National team. He was the hardest working person in group - yet 3 of the Swedish players - Walder, Persson and Applegren all outperformed O'Neil in the professional ranks. 
This clearly demonstrates hard work will get you to a very high level but at that level there is something else that differentiates the champions from the rest - I would say "this" can be considered "talent".
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2015 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

Actually there was a long thread on about.com about this topic. Sean O'Neil was arguing on the side of hard work over talent. He mentioned, he was asked to train with Swedish National team. He was the hardest working person in group - yet 3 of the Swedish players - Walder, Persson and Applegren all outperformed O'Neil in the professional ranks. 
This clearly demonstrates hard work will get you to a very high level but at that level there is something else that differentiates the champions from the rest - I would say "this" can be considered "talent".

As though his limited amount of time training in Sweden somehow defines the totality of training or the training history of the four players you mentioned. 

If you can tease out all the variables that could reasonably affect a result, then you might be able to identify something that you can call talent.  The problem is in teasing out all those variables.  Time after time when someone tries to point to something and call it "talent", I see them conveniently leaving out the consideration of lots of relevant variables. They over-simplify.

My personal and clearly subjective view is that things like motivation and access to key resources at important times of development are probably much greater factors in outcomes for individuals (assuming no obvious handicap) than is talent. 
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2015 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

... but we can use response to a modest amount of training to argue that the individual will respond well to training in the future, including training possibly not yet performed. There may be other factors at work as well, but the question is not whether the test is perfect, but whether it is reasonably predictive.

Sure, but I wouldn't call that a test for talent. It might reveal motivation, different rates of physical maturity, background, etc.  And as<span style="line-height: 1.4;"> a pragmatic measure, that's probably about the best that coaches and sports organizations can do.  But I think that such coaches and organizations should be cautioned against taking the results to the next step and suggesting that they've identified innate abilities or limitations.  They should be especially cautious when applying such notions to children.</span>

Yes, but those things are talents in the context of the ultimate goal. The usefulness of the notion of talent is more important that its absolute correctness. Error is a fact of life, not just in table tennis.

Usually the difference between levels of talent gradation is not as ominous as you are making out, but in life, only big stories get retold, even when clearly wrong. Anyone who believes that the initial judgment on Deng Yaping was a final one with no recourse for correction is being fairly ridiculous, IMO.

Edited by NextLevel - 04/29/2015 at 4:55pm
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2015 at 4:59pm
My good friend Wei Wang (former U.S. National women's champ) was on the same city team as Deng Yaping back in the days.  The truth is even if you got overlooked by the CNT at one moment, you will still get noticed if you performed well in other venues.  So I think the danger of overlooking talent in almost every field -including table tennis- it's more trivial than some tend to believe.

Edited by roundrobin - 04/29/2015 at 5:00pm

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2015 at 5:18pm
There are way too many cases throughout table tennis history in Asia where coaches were proven right regarding talent.  In Taiwan, for example, you could buy your son a spot on the National team (and not just for table tennis) if you had the right connections.  The same in Thailand and many other Southeast Asian countries.  Coaches knew in their guts that these kids had no "talent" to amount to anything in the chosen sport, but these kids received the best training money could buy, regardless.  99.99% of the time the coaches were right.

wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2015 at 5:19pm

Yes, but those things are talents in the context of the ultimate goal. The usefulness of the notion of talent is more important that its absolute correctness. Error is a fact of life, not just in table tennis.
I've yet to see any usefulness that can't be accomplished with the concept of "skills" or "achievment."  
I'm not looking for perfection. I'm fine with good.  But so far the talent concept doesn't seem to be very good.  In fact I think the way it is frequently used is bad.

Usually the difference between levels of talent gradation is not as ominous as you are making out, but in life, only big stories get retold, even when clearly wrong. Anyone who believes that the initial judgment on Deng Yaping was a final one with no recourse for correction is being fairly ridiculous, IMO.

Never said anything about there being no recourse.  The decision was quite obviously revisited.  The point was that errors of assessment can be easily made even at the highest levels by the most capable people and even in the face of tremendous supporting evidence. In this case the error was was based on some "understood" notion that a height below five feet was too significant of a handicap.  That was clearly not true. We should be careful not to overestimate what we think we know.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2015 at 5:23pm

I've yet to see any usefulness that can't be accomplished with the concept of "skills" or "achievment."  
I'm not looking for perfection. I'm fine with good.  But so far the talent concept doesn't seem to be very good.  In fact I think the way it is frequently used is bad.

Never said anything about there being no recourse.  The decision was quite obviously revisited.  The point was that errors of assessment can be easily made even at the highest levels by the most capable people and even in the face of tremendous supporting evidence. In this case the error was was based on some "understood" notion that a height below five feet was too significant of a handicap.  That was clearly not true. We should be careful not to overestimate what we think we know.

I agree with the first part, but I think even if talent is the wrong word, something to predict and assess how people should be selected is necessary and that if it is better than being random, then it ends up being a matter of "talent", even if talent is the wrong word.

I think that the second part has too many anecdotes built into it to be credible.  I attached the Michael Jordan article for that very reason.  The assessment against Deng Yaping has far less importance than you are trying to make out and is likely cited more often by people who take the fact that a relatively small mistake like that with little costs is a sign that a system is not infallible - which is not news to anyone who recognizes that infallibility is not the goal of such systems!

Edited by NextLevel - 04/29/2015 at 5:30pm
Cybershape Carbon
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2015 at 6:00pm

I agree with the first part, but I think even if talent is the wrong word, something to predict and assess how people should be selected is necessary and that if it is better than being random, then it ends up being a matter of "talent", even if talent is the wrong word.

I think that the second part has too many anecdotes built into it to be credible.  I attached the Michael Jordan article for that very reason.  The assessment against Deng Yaping has far less importance than you are trying to make out and is likely cited more often by people who take the fact that a relatively small mistake like that with little costs is a sign that a system is not infallible - which is not news to anyone who recognizes that infallibility is not the goal of such systems!

I'm only going by the reports I've read.  I don't know if they are credible or not.

I mentioned it mainly in response to RoundRobin's post to point out that the "wisdom" of the Chinese coaches should be open to being questioned.  Do they as a group know how to find and develop world champion table tennis players?  Absolutely.  But I'm not at all confident that this makes them reliable resources for insight into innate ability.  

The mixing of age related effects with "talent" in Canadian youth hockey is a better general illustration of how you might think you've identified talent but the reality is that a good chunk of what you identified is that older kids will tend to outperform younger ones and that kids who receive superior early training will tend to outperform those who don't. 

...........................................................................................
BTW, from the horse's mouth. It wasn't just one decision.  It was a systematic denial that Deng Yaping apparently overcame through tremendous effort and will.

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/08/22/talkasia.dengyaping/

"AR: You were winning all these competitions but not allowed to compete with the national team, because they said you were too short. What was that like for you, knowing that they were criticizing you for something that you could do nothing about?

DY: Why join the provincial team? All coaches wouldn't accept it. They think I won't be good in the future, no future at all. So even you win the most of championships in the same age in that province, but you haven't a chance to join the team because they think you won't be good. Which is not fair for me personally, but because table tennis such a strong sport in China and the team coach has so many selections and so many candidates to choose good athletes, you have to show you will be good in the future. But technically you have to show some issues. So I cried through the night, but I want to show, but I don't know if I will be good. But I want to try. So he gave me the chance and I joined the Jiangzhou city team, so I trained so hard every day. Get up at 5:45 and we get together at 6 to run and running for about half hour or 40, but it's harder for me because I'm short and smaller."

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2015 at 6:16pm
DYP was essentially an outlier who succeeded under particular circumstances (an one-of-an-kind LP bh blocker with 38mm ball in her era).  For sure she wouldn't have been able to succeed with her teammates' style (e.g. Qiao Hong's).  It's hardly a proof that the system grossly miscalculated.  In all likelihood, the other Chinese table tennis greats would have taken up her place in history if she was completely overlooked.

sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2015 at 6:19pm
If you have plenty to choose from, it doesn't matter if you overlook the most talented.

In China, who knows how many players who would have turned out better than Ma Long or Zhang Jike have been overlooked? I bet the number is not small.

(For example, I heard that Ma Long needed connections to make the national team. Without those connections pulling their weight, he would not have made it. And he is arguably the best player in 
 history not to win the world championship (yet).)

Sandiway
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2015 at 6:23pm

DYP was essentially an outlier who succeeded under particular circumstances (an one-of-an-kind LP bh blocker with 38mm ball in her era).  For sure she wouldn't have been able to succeed with her teammates' style (e.g. Qiao Hong's).  It's hardly a proof that the system grossly miscalculated.  In all likelihood, the other Chinese table tennis greats would have taken up her place in history if she was completely overlooked.

The point I was going to make precisely.  You, me and sandiway are all on the same page.  It's not like the coaches had huge incentives to get it right. And in any case, she got the opportunity.  And she probably played a lot before anyone knew what her final height would be.

The Canadian Hockey story is the kind of stuff that Gladwell likes to cite without showing the whole story.

It's a long article but if you read it, you see there are two things - the supposed bias is greater in non-Canadian players in the NHL, and that the effects don't seem to prevent a better balance being arrived at later in the NHL at the higher levels.  In other words, the selection process is likely picking the best players to achieve the current goals, but other talented players find their way through at a signficant rate.

Edited by NextLevel - 04/29/2015 at 6:27pm
Cybershape Carbon
TenNine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TenNine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2015 at 6:23pm

The mixing of age related effects with "talent" in Canadian youth hockey is a better general illustration of how you might think you've identified talent but the reality is that a good chunk of what you identified is that older kids will tend to outperform younger ones and that kids who receive superior early training will tend to outperform those who don't. 
This is described in a book called "Outliers", if I recall correctly.

Deng Yaping isn't alone. Wang Hao (the RPB guy, not the chopper), had to overcome a similar situation as he too was dismissed as not "talented" enough. His "talent" was eventually recognised too. 
How did that happen? The same way it happened for Deng - they worked harder than anybody else. And then some.
Their "talents" didn't see them through and didn't make them world champions - their application, motivation and hard work did, IMHO.

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2015 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by TenNine TenNine wrote:

The same way it happened for Deng - they worked harder than anybody else. And then some.
Their "talents" didn't see them through and didn't make them world champions - their application, motivation and hard work did, IMHO.

Hard work and dedication aren't nearly enough.  You also need tons of talent.  As Chinese, we know and respect the South Koreans as the hardest training athletes in the world, more so than any Chinese national team player, but there aren't that many SK world champions.  It's more than likely that the athletes they have trained for table tennis weren't the best that they could identify at an earlier age.  This is the exact same issue plaguing most Western countries as well.

Bottom line is Wang Hao and DYP's talents got recognized by the CNT and they did receive the training and opportunities they deserved, so the Chinese system of recognizing talent did not fail them, just worked out later than usual.

wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2015 at 6:44pm

Yes.  And if she had been overlooked she would surely have been described as not having enough talent  - and the proof of that conclusion would be her lack of success.  So much of what passes for a description of talent is really just a self-fulfilling narrative.

The point isn't to show that the system has flaws.  All systems do.  The point is to show that the fundamental ideas that coaches have can be seriously flawed.  And it is the outlier that helps us notice the flawed ideas.  But as you point out, systems can work fine while embracing flaws - depending on what you consider to be "fine."

What I find interesting about Deng Yaping is not only that she succeeded, but that she was dramatically successful - some arguing that she was the greatest ever or at least in that discussion.  I agree that other Chinese greats would have almost surely taken her place but it is unlikely that any one replacement would have achieved what Deng Yaping achieved.  And it may also be true that other champions have been overlooked and never heard from outside of China because they were too short or otherwise misidentified as not having the right attributes or talent. 

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2015 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by sandiway sandiway wrote:

If you have plenty to choose from, it doesn't matter if you overlook the most talented.

Sandiway

It certainly matters to the one being overlooked.  
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
ttTurkey View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttTurkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2015 at 6:51pm
A question for those that believe that there is no such thing as talent or that everyone has the same amount of talent:

Do you think that you would be the same level as Ma Long and Zhang Jike if you had put in the same amount of training, were as motivated as them, received the same coaching, level of competition, level of practice partners etc?
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2015 at 6:52pm

Originally posted by sandiway sandiway wrote:

Sandiway

It certainly matters to the one being overlooked.  

It matters to the coaches as well if they can be shown To be often very wrong, rather than occasionally wrong.
Cybershape Carbon
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2015 at 7:01pm
If talent doesn't matter then why the likes of Hao Shuai and Chen Qi couldn't remotely achieve what ZJK did?  These two had more best-of-the-world training and opportunities than ZJK ever had.

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2015 at 7:09pm

If talent doesn't matter then why the likes of Hao Shuai and Chen Qi couldn't remotely achieve what ZJK did?  These two had more best-of-the-world training and opportunities than ZJK ever had.

How do you quantify this as being due to talent?
Cybershape Carbon
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2015 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by ttTurkey ttTurkey wrote:

A question for those that believe that there is no such thing as talent or that everyone has the same amount of talent: 

Do you think that you would be the same level as Ma Long and Zhang Jike if you had put in the same amount of training, were as motivated as them, received the same coaching, level of competition, level of practice partners etc?

I don't subscribe to your premise.  My point is that if there is such a thing as talent we don't know how to identify it as a separate thing and it isn't yet a useful concept.  What we actually do is identify skills and then backwards infer talent from those skills.  I think it is better to be more straightforward and just point out the skills, accomplishments and other attributes that correlate well with success.

But I'll put aside the premise and the impossibility of your proposition and answer your question anyway.  And the answer is simply that I don't know.  Nobody does.  But what I'm pretty sure of is that I'd be one hell of a lot better player than I am now and that many people would look at me as having been (in my fictitious prime) one of the more talented players in the U.S.  - and the coaches wouldn't have allowed me to play hardbat.  ;^)
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2015 at 7:16pm
@NL:  You can't, really.  It's the it factor.  There's something though that came up repeatedly in my discussions with various Chinese coaches...some players could push themselves or be pushed physically (not mentally) harder than their peers without getting seriously injured.  The same with the training and selection of Marines.  It has to be in the discussion when we try to id talent.

Edited by roundrobin - 04/29/2015 at 7:20pm

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2015 at 7:18pm

But what I'm pretty sure of is that I'd be one hell of a lot better player than I am now and that many people would look at me as having been (in my fictitious prime) one of the more talented players in the U.S.  - and the coaches wouldn't have allowed me to play hardbat.  ;^)

It's also an unknown that your body would be able to take the punishment that ML or ZJK could, even if you were selected to train with them at the age of 5, all together under one roof.

wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2015 at 7:21pm

It matters to the coaches as well if they can be shown To be often very wrong, rather than occasionally wrong.

Sure.  But survivor-ship bias works in their favor.  Errors can't be easily seen and won't be looked for so long as you have a sufficient number of successes.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2015 at 7:35pm

It's also an unknown that your body would be able to take the punishment that ML or ZJK could, even if you were selected to train with them at the age of 5, all together under one roof.

Very true.  Not to mention random injury. 

It is also possible the the optimal training for me and my body could be different than for those two and that "subjecting" me to their training regime might actually work against me achieving my maximum potential.  It is complications like these that make it difficult for anyone to put their finger on what talent is.  Personally, I think "talent" is also often a shortcut that people use to wrap up all the things that we don't know about.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2015 at 7:48pm

Sure.  But survivor-ship bias works in their favor.  Errors can't be easily seen and won't be looked for so long as you have a sufficient number of successes.

But that is all the system requires.  It doesn't mean that talent doesn't exist or that the coaches cannot recognize it.  If they were getting it wrong,  their opinions would be far more suspect.
Cybershape Carbon
Ringer84 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2015 at 8:13pm
If someone has never taken a singing lesson in their entire life nor regularly practiced singing, yet they have a beautiful singing voice, would it be fair to say this person has a "talent" for singing?  I would say many of us know a person like this. I ask this question not to make any kind of point nor to take sides, but because I'm wondering how you would describe such a person if not "talented.

Edited by Ringer84 - 04/29/2015 at 8:23pm
USATT Rating: 1785
Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Andro Rasant
BH: Baracuda
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2015 at 8:37pm

I'm not sure what the modern concept is, but if "talent" exists I suspect that it is really a bundle of genetic potentials.  For instance, a person might have slightly more acute vision, a slightly faster reflexes, a more optimal skeletal structure or muscle fiber profile, etc.  And I think it may be very difficult to distinguish some of these things from early environmental influences starting as early as the womb that influence not only the physical person, but the person's brain and the they process information.
Yes, yes, and more yes!

In this entire thread, not one of those who argue for the separate existence of something called "talent" has rarely attempted, let alone managed, to eliminate the physiological and psychological factors which you identify.  For example, what effect does learning resilience as an infant have upon the course of our lives?  A resilient athlete is more likely to keep on coming back for more than one governed by fear.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
  Share Topic