Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

question of talent

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 12>
Author
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2015 at 10:32am
No, I havent read everything in this tread, but to me, its plain obvious that talent does exist. Look at youngsters Fan, Im sure he have had plenty of quality practice that have helped him reach the top. Im Also sure that he havent been the only one from that generation who have got that kind of practice. In fact, Im fairly confident that in China alone, 100 others have been given the same practice. Fan have become better then those due to his talent, not due to some magic formula for practice.

Then there is the question about lack of talent. Obviously, this Also exists, but it is my firm belief that ANYONE can reach at least 2000 utsatt with good practice, assuming no disabilities. At the end of the day, table tennis is a game where training beats talent, but to reach the top, you need both.
The holy grail
Sponsored Links

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2015 at 11:10am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

With identical twins raised apart, the surprise is that they are more similar mentally than one would predict if the influence of environment was as strong as most people would claim.  And that I think is the bottom line.  People talk around it in all sorts of ways, but when you can predict criminal behavior in a twin with high probability from the behavior of one twin, it tells you something.

Yes, it tells you *something*.  But how does that relate to talent-spotting in individual contexts?  People seem very happy to accept that talent is a thing, but don't mind so much about what it actually is.  They see the results of an entire life's experience and declare that talent is present, but don't bother to investigate to see what's actually going on.  It's a supremely superficial analysis.

I can see the obvious benefit of height in basketball.  It has a big influence.  Does that mean tall people are born with a basketball talent?  I dislike this labeling for so many reasons because it leads people to infer all sorts of things.  It definitely mean that they have a competitive advantage, but a "natural ability or skill"?  No.  They have a natural advantage when learning a skill, because the man-made rules of the game obviously offer that advantage.  In basketball's case, the advantage is so overwhelming that it becomes very tough to make up the difference via other means.  But some sort of inherent basketball genius thing you are born with?  No.  The lords of basketball could lower the basket height by 3 feet and all of a sudden people all over the world wake up with new basketball talents!  Basketball creates an imbalance by virtue of its rules.  Life is cruel, and all that.  But this is just my opinion, and I don't expect anyone to think or feel the same.

But to then jump from "here is a thing, which is obvious and happening" to "here is another sport entirely, and something may be happening but we don't know what, but it's definitely talent, and I won't accept anyone challenging me about that!" is too much for me.  Show me the mechanism.  Quantify it.  As soon as you do, stop calling it talent and call it what it is.

Again - "talent" is just a label when you don't know what's going on, or a shorthand when you can't be bothered to explain what's going on (in general conversation, where time is lacking).  But to not know what is going on, still insist on talent as a factor, then make decisions when assuming its existence and how big a factor it is...how can mistakes not be made?  How can people not be disillusioned and give up?

Moreover, you don't have to *Say* it, but can it be the truth? And in some cases, can it be the naked truth?  Or for you, is there some explanation that can always rationalize it away that lies outside the individuals being compared?

Is there *always* an explanation?  Yes.  Always outside?  No.  In fact I can see obvious cases of things inside individuals.  But to take an obvious case and then expand it to fit any activity without investigation, evidence and peer-review, and then make life decisions on that basis?  Not good enough.

OR your position is that as long as we don't understand it in detail, we should never postulate it?

Absolutely not, but acknowledge that it remains a postulation.  Incomplete, an approximation, unproven until rigorously tested.

This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2015 at 11:16am
Originally posted by Speedplay Speedplay wrote:

No, I havent read everything in this tread, but to me, its plain obvious that talent does exist. Look at youngsters Fan, Im sure he have had plenty of quality practice that have helped him reach the top. Im Also sure that he havent been the only one from that generation who have got that kind of practice. In fact, Im fairly confident that in China alone, 100 others have been given the same practice. Fan have become better then those due to his talent, not due to some magic formula for practice.

Then there is the question about lack of talent. Obviously, this Also exists, but it is my firm belief that ANYONE can reach at least 2000 utsatt with good practice, assuming no disabilities. At the end of the day, table tennis is a game where training beats talent, but to reach the top, you need both.

See, here we go.  Plainly obvious that talent exists, but I presume totally unaware of fan's development and background.  Totally convinced, without the need to actually find out what went on and how things came to be.

It's not that talent doesn't exist, it's that people want to apply the label without any idea of what went on.  This is the power of the talent myth.

Speedplay - wouldn't you rather KNOW why fan is so skilled, rather than guessing and calling it talent?  Or if you are so sure it's talent, explain what is at work with fan and provide evidence.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2015 at 11:19am
AndySmith,

Such Humean skepticism is never practiced by anyone consistently so there is no point debating it. If we had rigorously test all our claims, we would be living in stasis. The flipside of someone being less talented shows up in the analytical fields when they wonder why they aren't capable of things other people do with less effort. Sometimes, its an unbridgeable gap in capability. A decision can be made to continue trying on the basis of blank slate notions of ability or absolute malleability of experience (as dangerous). Sometimes, accepting that one ISS not talented enough to do something but is talented enough to do something else can be liberating and career changing in a great way. It's not all gloom and doom.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2015 at 11:27am
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

See, here we go.  Plainly obvious that talent exists, but I presume totally unaware of fan's development and background.  Totally convinced, without the need to actually find out what went on and how things came to be.

It's not that talent doesn't exist, it's that people want to apply the label without any idea of what went on.  This is the power of the talent myth.

Speedplay - wouldn't you rather KNOW why fan is so skilled, rather than guessing and calling it talent?  Or if you are so sure it's talent, explain what is at work with fan and provide evidence.

What and how things came to be? Guessing here, since Im not really involved in the Chinese table tennis development, but I suspect that he got the same practice as everyone else in his group, he embraced the practice better then the rest, so he became better. To me, that is talent.

The talent myth doesnt exist, cause talent isnt a myth but a fact. We are all different and some of us are better suited for math, other for TT. If you deny talent, then, I assume that you can pick 100 random kids, give them the same training and they will al be at the same level? I refuse to believe that, simply because some people have more talent then others.

Talent alone wont get you long, but you do need talent to reach the top, or else everyone who practices hard enough would be top players.

Would I rather know whats going on with Fan? I do think I have a pretty good idea, he have been given the best available practice to fulfil his potential, like everyone else in the Chinese national team.

I mean, it could be that his brain is slihtly faster that gives him the edge, it could be that his vision is slightly better or that his muscles contracts themself fast, it really doesnt matter, cause there is obviously something that makes him more talented, or suited if you like, then the rest.

Edited by Speedplay - 05/02/2015 at 11:30am
The holy grail
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2015 at 11:31am

AndySmith,

Such Humean skepticism is never practiced by anyone consistently so there is no point debating it. If we had rigorously test all our claims, we would be living in stasis. The flipside of someone being less talented shows up in the analytical fields when they wonder why they aren't capable of things other people do with less effort. Sometimes, its an unbridgeable gap in capability. A decision can be made to continue trying on the basis of blank slate notions of ability or absolute malleability of experience (as dangerous). Sometimes, accepting that one ISS not talented enough to do something but is talented enough to do something else can be liberating and career changing in a great way. It's not all gloom and doom.

And I'm not at all standing in the way of making informed, knowledgeable decisions based on evidence.  And I'm not subscribing to the blank slate concept here at all.  I say that the real world is complex, and somewhere in the middle, as most people here seem to agree on.

If you are slaving away and getting nowhere, and identify a physical, understandable, real reason why that might be, be empowered to switch directions and do something else.  If some self-appointed "talent expert" pops up and says you lack talent, but can't explain why, feel free to laugh in his face.

I do say that it isn't enough to use talented/untalented without further "real" detail to make decisions, and the concept of "talent" isn't enough of a solid body of work to justify the importance it has in life.  It's a term which is overempowered, misleading, can be abused, and even when applied "correctly" is simply an almost meaningless high-level placeholder for the more useful physical things happening underneath.
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2015 at 11:39am

Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

Of course some people have talent for something. Let us not take it away from them. For some, it is all they have... 
Contradicting the existence of talent is socially wrong.
Young humans develop in part by trying to imitate their talented peers.
Contradicting that is... odd.

This attitude is part of the problem, IMO.

I can replace every instance of the word "talent" in your post with the word "learned skill" and it would still make total sense.  Young humans develop in part by imitating their skilled peers, and so on.  In a discussion about talent v training, resorting to truisms like this isn't very convincing to me.

Now, that's not to say you should then jump to the conclusion that I don't believe in genetic advantage.  What I do think is that "talent" is a badly abused blanket label, where people say things like "of course some people have talent for something", as if just saying the sentence makes it so.  People look at skilled individuals and presume divine intervention, not just at the top of the pile, but all the way down to high school level, and it's harmful.

(sic)... This attitude is part of the problem, in my opinion...
Sure we can start replacing the terms used by others to conveniently get what we want. I can do it with your posts, on many ways. But that is not what I stand for.
The question I ask is this: what benefit will be achieved by contradicting the truth established by Nature? Has someone made a wrong assumption somewhere there and now, stubbornly, is not capable of admitting the mistake, going deeper and deeper into the shaky ground that nobody really feels de facto comfortable agreeing with? Crowd sourcing or cloud computing is this? Go back to basics and make wiser interpretations of Nature's facts that will make sens to people. Be critical toward your own even when you feel you don't have to.
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2015 at 11:40am

What and how things came to be? Guessing here, since Im not really involved in the Chinese table tennis development, but I suspect that he got the same practice as everyone else in his group, he embraced the practice better then the rest, so he became better. To me, that is talent.

The talent myth doesnt exist, cause talent isnt a myth but a fact. We are all different and some of us are better suited for math, other for TT. If you deny talent, then, I assume that you can pick 100 random kids, give them the same training and they will al be at the same level? I refuse to believe that, simply because some people have more talent then others.

Talent alone wont get you long, but you do need talent to reach the top, or else everyone who practices hard enough would be top players.

Would I rather know whats going on with Fan? I do think I have a pretty good idea, he have been given the best available practice to fulfil his potential, like everyone else in the Chinese national team.

I mean, it could be that his brain is slihtly faster that gives him the edge, it could be that his vision is slightly better or that his muscles contracts themself fast, it really doesnt matter, cause there is obviously something that makes him more talented, or suited if you like, then the rest.

Some, or all, of that COULD be true.  Or fan could be the result of a new, innovative training technique.  Or a series of events in his youth could have given him an unusual edge in terms of skill-based training.

And yet, even what I suggest could be true, you are absolutely sure that this isn't right and he has some magical genetic woo.  Which still could be true!  Don't get me wrong, fan could well be some amazing genetic outlier.

But without bothering to check, how could you (or I) know?

Now, this may seem like neither of us has any better case than the other, which is also right!  But think about the repercussions of our opposing theories.

You say fan has talent, could be vision, could be muscles.  No need to go any further, right?  It's something, and here are some possibilities, so that's that.  It's obvious!

I say - maybe it's something else, something interesting in his history or training practice.  I always keep the door open to innovation, so something new and experimental could have been at work during his development.  A new coach, trying new things.  All guesswork, but so is your opinion (without testing fan in some way, which you could do, just as I could perhaps look into his history).

Now, we are both training a 16-year-old USA junior, on the verge of breaking into the national team.  Fan would obviously obliterate him, but he's doing well.  Do you think that fan is more talented?  Or would you have to look into the details as to how the skill difference came about?
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2015 at 11:49am

Of course some people have talent for something. Let us not take it away from them. For some, it is all they have... 
Contradicting the existence of talent is socially wrong.
Young humans develop in part by trying to imitate their talented peers.
Contradicting that is... odd.

This attitude is part of the problem, IMO.

I can replace every instance of the word "talent" in your post with the word "learned skill" and it would still make total sense.  Young humans develop in part by imitating their skilled peers, and so on.  In a discussion about talent v training, resorting to truisms like this isn't very convincing to me.

Now, that's not to say you should then jump to the conclusion that I don't believe in genetic advantage.  What I do think is that "talent" is a badly abused blanket label, where people say things like "of course some people have talent for something", as if just saying the sentence makes it so.  People look at skilled individuals and presume divine intervention, not just at the top of the pile, but all the way down to high school level, and it's harmful.

(sic)... This attitude is part of the problem, in my opinion...
Sure we can start replacing the terms used by others to conveniently get what we want. I can do it with your posts, on many ways. But that is not what I stand for.
The question I ask is this: what benefit will be achieved by contradicting the truth established by Nature? Has someone made a wrong assumption somewhere there and now, stubbornly, is not capable of admitting the mistake, going deeper and deeper into the shaky ground that nobody really feels de facto comfortable agreeing with? Crowd sourcing or cloud computing is this? Go back to basics and make wiser interpretations of Nature's facts that will make sens to people. Be critical toward your own even when you feel you don't have to.

"Nature's facts".  Good grief.  Talk about an appeal to a higher power.  (LOL, humour)

What is happening here?  Where do I say that genetic variance has no effect?  I'm just saying that people jump to the "talent" label with no basis to do so.  It's a guess.  And when it's not a guess, it's a shorthand description of something else, and we might as well describe it in useful detail if we can.  It might be right, but to apply the term "fact" to it is a gross abuse of the term in many cases.

You are totally misrepresenting my position.  I must be putting this across badly.

Here is how it goes.  Give me an example of talent.  I will ask for evidence of the physical processes involved in the genetic advantage you are describing.  You will either provide it (in which case, why refer to it as talent in the first place, just call a tall person a tall person), or you won't (in which case, you are in all likelihood guessing that a talent exists, instead of actually being able to define it).

So I call talent a misleading, often abused term, and wish it could be done away with.  It's borderline useless IMO.  But that DOES NOT MEAN THAT I DON'T THINK GENETIC ADVANTAGES TO TASKS EXIST.  So when you say...

Contradicting the existence of talent is socially wrong.

...this does not apply to me in the way you might think it does.

I cannot be any clearer.
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2015 at 11:56am
"It is hard to fill a cup that is already full..."

Quote: Moat - from Avatar (Film)....
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2015 at 11:57am

AndySmith,

And I'm not at all standing in the way of making informed, knowledgeable decisions based on evidence.  And I'm not subscribing to the blank slate concept here at all.  I say that the real world is complex, and somewhere in the middle, as most people here seem to agree on.

If you are slaving away and getting nowhere, and identify a physical, understandable, real reason why that might be, be empowered to switch directions and do something else.  If some self-appointed "talent expert" pops up and says you lack talent, but can't explain why, feel free to laugh in his face.

I do say that it isn't enough to use talented/untalented without further "real" detail to make decisions, and the concept of "talent" isn't enough of a solid body of work to justify the importance it has in life.  It's a term which is overempowered, misleading, can be abused, and even when applied "correctly" is simply an almost meaningless high-level placeholder for the more useful physical things happening underneath.

Here is a case which I encounter literally every month.

I'm a software developer, and sometimes part of my job is to replace paper-based processes with IT systems.  This means that a group of people have to re-train, replacing a well-understood pen-and-paper process with a device of some kind - PC, tablet, smartphone, etc.

In every group, the older members of staff are more likely to struggle.  It's simple - they haven't grown up surrounded by technology of this type, so they just lack the hours of training to use a touchscreen interface.  Some have never used a mouse before, and their first faltering steps are amazing to behold.  Anyway, many of them get really down about how hard they find it initially, and how much easier the younger staff find it.  Some comprehend what has been going on, and realise that some basic tech training would help (which we then provide).  Some are totally adamant that they lack the talent for tech like this, refuse training, fall into a depression, ask for early retirement (or just leave).

This is what happens at the bottom end of all this.  Talent exists, I don't need to do any deeper, and I lack it. 
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2015 at 12:04pm

Some, or all, of that COULD be true.  Or fan could be the result of a new, innovative training technique.  Or a series of events in his youth could have given him an unusual edge in terms of skill-based training.

And yet, even what I suggest could be true, you are absolutely sure that this isn't right and he has some magical genetic woo.  Which still could be true!  Don't get me wrong, fan could well be some amazing genetic outlier.

But without bothering to check, how could you (or I) know?

Now, this may seem like neither of us has any better case than the other, which is also right!  But think about the repercussions of our opposing theories.

You say fan has talent, could be vision, could be muscles.  No need to go any further, right?  It's something, and here are some possibilities, so that's that.  It's obvious!

I say - maybe it's something else, something interesting in his history or training practice.  I always keep the door open to innovation, so something new and experimental could have been at work during his development.  A new coach, trying new things.  All guesswork, but so is your opinion (without testing fan in some way, which you could do, just as I could perhaps look into his history).

Now, we are both training a 16-year-old USA junior, on the verge of breaking into the national team.  Fan would obviously obliterate him, but he's doing well.  Do you think that fan is more talented?  Or would you have to look into the details as to how the skill difference came about?

Well, if your first assumption here, about some new and innovative training is the answer, then my question is, do you think he was the only one to test this? Wouldnt it be much more likely that this new training was tested in a group? So, why was it that Fan progressed?

The series of events you speak of, sure, he could have been called up to practice with the older kids early on, but, if this is the case, then the most likely reason he was called up was because he was best in his group, which leads us back to talent.

As for the 16 year old junior, no, I wouldnt say that Fan is necessarily more talented, because they have probably received very different training. With the same training, it is possible that the 16 year old US kid would destroy Fan.

But, Fan have not practiced alone, he have been in a group and in this group, he have excelled, which is why I claim him to be talented. Heck, his talent might even be that he endures hard training better then the rest, so he can train more, but its still done to talent.

I know there is a documentary about a gigantic Chinese training center for TT, with hundreds and hundreds of Chinese kids training together. From this center, they every year get 1-2 players who reach international level, while the rest are washed out. Believe me, the wash outs are most likely good to play in pretty much any other national team then the Chinese, but in this fierce competition, their talent wasnt enough. Of course we could argue what talent is, but thats another topic.
The holy grail
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2015 at 12:08pm
@ AndySmith - Your previous analogy is way off the mark...

Maybe "Talent" is determined by how many Midichlorians people are born with...

Edited by CraneStyle - 05/02/2015 at 1:41pm
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2015 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by CraneStyle CraneStyle wrote:

I have made so many, some definitely dodgier than others.  I lose track.

Shame we can't ask George Lucas about talent.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2015 at 4:35pm

Well, if your first assumption here, about some new and innovative training is the answer, then my question is, do you think he was the only one to test this? Wouldnt it be much more likely that this new training was tested in a group? So, why was it that Fan progressed?

The series of events you speak of, sure, he could have been called up to practice with the older kids early on, but, if this is the case, then the most likely reason he was called up was because he was best in his group, which leads us back to talent.

I want you to put the specifics out of your mind to some degree, because they aren't important.  Anything you say about fan and his skill - anything - I could come up with a plausible alternative which has nothing to do with genetics.  For the (fictional) testing group, the secret training was limited to 5, but 2 left to become accountants (more money), one switched to badminton, and one slept with LGL's niece so he was kicked out of the program.  Fan was the only one who made it.  All nonsense, of course, but the whole premise I offered was without any actual information or evidence.  I could make up something less outlandish if you want.

As for the comparison with his peer group - again, many alternatives are available.  He was the oldest in his group by virtue of birthday, and so did that bit better due an advantage from normal development through age.  Or those rumors about him being older than his birth certificate states are all true!!! (lol - imagine!  It all makes sense!).  Easier to say that he started earlier than the others, put more time in, or did something unique and interesting due to circumstance.  Desmond Douglas comes to mind - training in a tiny environment results in a player who is an expert at close-in play, and that style has some sort of advantage in game terms.

Regardless!  It doesn't matter - it's all just baseless conjecture.  I can say with relative certainty that more/better practice results in better skill, so at least the conjecture has plausibility.  However, I am NOT saying that any of this actually happened.  I'm saying that it's at least as likely as some sort of genetic advantage being at work for fan, in the absence of anyone actually investigating it.  So I wouldn't say that fan's skill is definitely down to extra/better training, or that there is some "talent" at work.  Just that something interesting has happened.  Whereas you have categorically stated that he has some talent of some kind.

Now, I'm not afraid of saying "I don't know", because that then spurs me on to find things out.  But categorically stating something to be true might mean that you think the case is closed, and no further action is merited.

In evaluating the training/genetics conjecture, I admit that I do tend to lean a bit more on the side of training simply because it's a well-understood, much-studied process.  Take two identical people (if that's even possible), one trains twice as much (in TT, for sake of argument), which one is better?  Pretty cut and dried.  Take two different people, which one is better due to genetic advantages?  Well, this is hard to judge in TT.  It's easier in basketball - is one a lot taller than the other?  But TT?  It's tough, so in order to offer up fan's skill being DEFINITELY down to genetics (which you've said), I think you need to nail that down with some hard, well-supported evidence.

But I don't discount it, or anything else.  I just refuse to accept that we know with any real certainty until a lot of looking and poking around is done.  But part of what I refer to as the talent myth is that it's OK to say that fan is talented, because look at him go, and case closed!  Now, if we dug into what made fan this way, maybe we could learn something useful which we could apply ourselves to our own juniors....

As for the 16 year old junior, no, I wouldnt say that Fan is necessarily more talented, because they have probably received very different training. With the same training, it is possible that the 16 year old US kid would destroy Fan.

But, Fan have not practiced alone, he have been in a group and in this group, he have excelled, which is why I claim him to be talented. Heck, his talent might even be that he endures hard training better then the rest, so he can train more, but its still done to talent.

OK, great!  I'm glad you've said this, although my obvious trap was obvious.  Fan was in a group, but not in a group of identical people with identical backgrounds.  His physical conditioning could just be that he lived further from school than the others so he jogged in every day, or his family lived over a gym, or his dad wore a superhero costume and fought crime at the weekends and fan was his sidekick and the experience pumped him up more than the others, who were all bookworms and spent too long in the library studying biomechanics etc etc.

Or what you said might be true.

Again, we don't know until we look.  I'm not saying this is why fan is awesome, just offering other alternatives, and without looking we just don't know.

I know there is a documentary about a gigantic Chinese training center for TT, with hundreds and hundreds of Chinese kids training together. From this center, they every year get 1-2 players who reach international level, while the rest are washed out. Believe me, the wash outs are most likely good to play in pretty much any other national team then the Chinese, but in this fierce competition, their talent wasnt enough. Of course we could argue what talent is, but thats another topic.

Hmmm.  Maybe I'm in the wrong topic myself then, because my whole point is that people are sure that they know that talent exists, and it has a profound effect on pretty much everything, and it's definitely at work over there (points at thing), but then when pushed they often don't know what talent is in any meaningful context.  And yet it's so important!  It's what separates them from us!  Decisions get made based on this kind of thought process.

Also, it's one thing to look at the elite group of TT players and insist on talent being a factor, but how much of a factor is it?  Is it a meaningful one?  NL brought up super vision, which is an interesting one for sure.  Now, I can definitely see how super vision would help in some TT circumstances, but how much does it help?  Well, vision itself isn't a stumbling block to get to elite, pro level because we can some see pros wearing glasses.  But can it make that little, tiny difference between top 5 and top 20?  Or is it such a tiny little difference that it has no practical value at all?  Do we know?  And if not, are we prepared to weed out students with less than 20/20 at an early stage, even though we don't know?  Maybe the CNT has done some work and can kick people out based on this, but what do we, Joe Public know?

But again, my point isn't about vision, or anything specific at all.  It's about the use of the word "talent" in society and all the weight it comes with.  Not to sound like a broken record, but please don't think that I'm saying that it's all training, and genetic advantages don't exist.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2015 at 5:05pm

I have made so many, some definitely dodgier than others.  I lose track.

Shame we can't ask George Lucas about talent.

Well...

"Everybody has talent and it's just a matter of moving around until you've discovered what it is. A talent is a combination of something you love a great deal and something you can lose yourself in -- something that you can start at 9 o'clock, look up from your work and it's 10 o'clock at night -- and also something that you have a talent, not a talent for, but skills that you have a natural ability to do very well. And usually those two things go together."

George Lucas

May the 4th be with you...

Edited by CraneStyle - 05/02/2015 at 5:11pm
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2015 at 5:15pm

Well...

"Everybody has talent and it's just a matter of moving around until you've discovered what it is. A talent is a combination of something you love a great deal and something you can lose yourself in -- something that you can start at 9 o'clock, look up from your work and it's 10 o'clock at night -- and also something that you have a talent, not a talent for, but skills that you have a natural ability to do very well. And usually those two things go together."

George Lucas

May the 4th be with you...

Wow!  Well, I did not see THAT coming.

This is one of the better descriptions I've seen, actually.  I wonder if he said it in a Jar-Jar voice?
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2015 at 5:28pm

And I'm not at all standing in the way of making informed, knowledgeable decisions based on evidence.  And I'm not subscribing to the blank slate concept here at all.  I say that the real world is complex, and somewhere in the middle, as most people here seem to agree on....

the concept of "talent" isn't enough of a solid body of work to justify the importance it has in life.  It's a term which is overempowered, misleading, can be abused, and even when applied "correctly" is simply an almost meaningless high-level placeholder for the more useful physical things happening underneath.

As to point one.  Good.  Some things some of us are just born with have an impact on how well we are able to do certain things we may end up doing.  It is good you accept that.  And clearly there are many factors over and above that. 

As for point two, I don't see that it comes up all that often in the way you are describing it, to tell you the truth, in the case of table tennis where I live.  Someone gives money to a coach and they get coaching, and it is not like the coaches' time here is in such scarce supply that they need to make choices on who should get help and who shouldn't based on how talented they think their students are.  All it takes is money.  Here also, I think the coaches are pretty conscientious with everyone.  Maybe it is different in UK, but it would surprise me.  Of course not all coaches are good.

The kinds of judgments you are talking about come up in other areas where a limited number of spots are available for something and a lot of people want them.  For example here, admission to elite universities or selective graduate programs, or athletic scholarships or drafting by professional sports teams, being chosen to be on the CNT in table tennis, that sort of thing.  In those cases they have elaborate measurement schemes designed to identify the people they think are most likely to succeed, the most "talented" ones and the ones who will work the hardest.  No organization gets it right all the time.  Some of the mistakes that these groups make were laughable when you look back in time, but hindsight is always 20/20. 
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2015 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

As for point two, I don't see that it comes up all that often in the way you are describing it, to tell you the truth, in the case of table tennis where I live

Again, perhaps I'm being too verbose without getting to the meat of the subject.  The second point is something I think happens in general life, in many situations, not just in a sporting context.  Used as an excuse by anyone struggling with developing a skill.  Used as a general catch-all excuse for middle-managers to justify selecting one employee for dismissal over another.  Used to prop up arrogance and belief in the skilled.  Even used to market and sell products.

There seems to be a gut reaction people have when they see the skilled - wow, there's talent, right there.  There is media saturation of it - talented, gifted, blessed.  And yet how many times do people bother to check any of this out?  It's just assumed to be true, and it creates an us/them dynamic, which is unhealthy in many ways (as I've tried to discuss with real-world examples which I've actually experienced).

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying that anyone can be the best at anything they randomly choose.  But if people are labelled as lacking The Talent (by people who probably can't accurately define what that talent even is), it's incredibly disenfranchising.  The learning curve may be different for each individual, but the danger is the idea that success at any level is impossible.

I firmly believe that everyone (without a serious medical condition) should be able to pass high school maths.  But it's unnervingly common to hear from students that they don't have the maths talent (well, usually it's "the maths gene" or "maths brain" or "my parents couldn't do maths either").  And they really believe this.  Now, we're not talking about everyone reaching Hawking levels of ability, but high school maths?  They believe that people have gifts, and that people must therefore also lack gifts, so their struggle must be an indicator of a lack of said gift, from which there is no return.  It's the faulty logic of seeing success and attributing it solely to natural "talent".

And the post above about the systems development isn't an analogy, it's a recounting of my real workplace experience.  This kind of thing happens a lot less these days because the older staff are much more likely to be using smartphones and touchscreen tablet these days, but go back 5 years and I'd get this to some degree every time a new system came in.  I don't expect these staff to be the new Bill Gates, but basic computer operation?  Possible in every case IMO.  But these people fundamentally believe that they were born without The Thing which lets them use a PC.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2015 at 8:12pm

As for point two, I don't see that it comes up all that often in the way you are describing it, to tell you the truth, in the case of table tennis where I live

Again, perhaps I'm being too verbose without getting to the meat of the subject.  The second point is something I think happens in general life, in many situations, not just in a sporting context.  Used as an excuse by anyone struggling with developing a skill.  Used as a general catch-all excuse for middle-managers to justify selecting one employee for dismissal over another.  Used to prop up arrogance and belief in the skilled.  Even used to market and sell products.

There seems to be a gut reaction people have when they see the skilled - wow, there's talent, right there.  There is media saturation of it - talented, gifted, blessed.  And yet how many times do people bother to check any of this out?  It's just assumed to be true, and it creates an us/them dynamic, which is unhealthy in many ways (as I've tried to discuss with real-world examples which I've actually experienced).

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying that anyone can be the best at anything they randomly choose.  But if people are labelled as lacking The Talent (by people who probably can't accurately define what that talent even is), it's incredibly disenfranchising.  The learning curve may be different for each individual, but the danger is the idea that success at any level is impossible.

I firmly believe that everyone (without a serious medical condition) should be able to pass high school maths.  But it's unnervingly common to hear from students that they don't have the maths talent (well, usually it's "the maths gene" or "maths brain" or "my parents couldn't do maths either").  And they really believe this.  Now, we're not talking about everyone reaching Hawking levels of ability, but high school maths?  They believe that people have gifts, and that people must therefore also lack gifts, so their struggle must be an indicator of a lack of said gift, from which there is no return.  It's the faulty logic of seeing success and attributing it solely to natural "talent".

And the post above about the systems development isn't an analogy, it's a recounting of my real workplace experience.  This kind of thing happens a lot less these days because the older staff are much more likely to be using smartphones and touchscreen tablet these days, but go back 5 years and I'd get this to some degree every time a new system came in.  I don't expect these staff to be the new Bill Gates, but basic computer operation?  Possible in every case IMO.  But these people fundamentally believe that they were born without The Thing which lets them use a PC.

Andy,

It's easy to talk about what people should be able to do when you are not responsible for the results. As much as I wish everyone could pass high school math, I learned the hard way while teaching it that for some people, it wasn't worth the effort for them because they just felt helpless. And since you are not them, it is easy to say they should be able to do it. But there are level of math I struggle with as well. So why can't people struggle with lower levels of math? Because you said so? How is that different from saying they must be talented?

Edited by NextLevel - 05/02/2015 at 8:13pm
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
TTFrenzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTFrenzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2015 at 8:26pm
waldner has stated, the he actually developed his infamous "feel" for the ball by experimenting all the time, even in matches. Its a fact that some people have natural gift of what we call  soft and flexible wrist  compared to others, but this only 1 characteristic. Kong linghui and wang liqin managed to be legends without having tricky serves or super wrist action, in fact their serves are quite simple, but they had huge understanding of a rally which was more than enough
my TT blog!

Join & follow my TT blog ! Mental and Physi
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2015 at 10:46pm
I improved when I used Bomb talent,,, so did that count?
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2015 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

to me talent means being able to make it look easy, pleasurable to watch at any level because of the talented person's immediate intuition of what's going on and what to do.

if a definition of intuition is the immediate comprehension or cognition without any conscious thinking, talent in tt would be an immediate intuition of how to play; if you put training on top, it means exponential (before hitting a celing) v. linear or radical progression. Eventually talent loses its power as hours of training are put in and highest level in the game can be reached many different ways.

No matter Wadner's talent, he could lose people way less talented than him, even in his prime.

making it look easy may apply to some sports people, but we have all seen a swimmer who splashes and slaps the water on the way to a World record or a runner with a gangly style or a clumbersome boxer
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2015 at 7:55am

OK, great!  I'm glad you've said this, although my obvious trap was obvious.  Fan was in a group, but not in a group of identical people with identical backgrounds.  His physical conditioning could just be that he lived further from school than the others so he jogged in every day, or his family lived over a gym, or his dad wore a superhero costume and fought crime at the weekends and fan was his sidekick and the experience pumped him up more than the others, who were all bookworms and spent too long in the library studying biomechanics etc etc.

Or what you said might be true.

Again, we don't know until we look.  I'm not saying this is why fan is awesome, just offering other alternatives, and without looking we just don't know.

So, your obvious trap was for me to admit that Fan might not be the greatest table tennis talent of all times? great trap, only problem is, I dont recall saying he was.

If you have seen the Chinese TT centers for practice, you will realize that what ever happens outside of those have very little effect on how good the players become. This guys all gets their hours done at an early stage and the ones with most talent progress the furthest.

You seem determined to prove that talent isnt a factor and I disagree with that. Im not saying that talent is the only factor, even folks with very little natural talent can become good players with enough training.

Also, I like how you want me, and others, to prove what talent actually is, but you yourself lack proofs that talent doesnt exsist.

We could always think outside the box and search for other answers, but, if it looks like a horse, walks like a horse and smells like a horse, then I see no point in calling it a zebra.
The holy grail
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2015 at 11:00am
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

Syed's lack of speed and strength (he came to the U.S. Open a few times) would not have fared as well if he didn't use long pips to chop.  Yes he was pretty decent, but hardly one of the all time greats that had a particularly interesting insight of what talent is.  Not trying to put him down, but it is what it is...

How many defensive players at world level play without LP's ? I'm not sure what Matt's highest world ranking was, but when I played him it was 33.

At the very top of the sport, the players have something extra, that is why they get there, below that, dedication wins over talent every time. An individual can get more dedicated easily, but nobody can get 'more talented'

My personal view from experience is that reasonably often the players with more gifted touch progress quicker and are seen as 'talented' but if they lack dedication they are soon overtaken by the dedicated workers. If you get both you get a good player, then it comes down to other factors such as nationality, funding, mental strength, luck ( being around the right players/coaches) as to how far they go.
The Older I get, The better I was.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2015 at 11:48am
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

At the very top of the sport, the players have something extra, that is why they get there, below that, dedication wins over talent every time. An individual can get more dedicated easily, but nobody can get 'more talented'

My personal view from experience is that reasonably often the players with more gifted touch progress quicker and are seen as 'talented' but if they lack dedication they are soon overtaken by the dedicated workers. If you get both you get a good player, then it comes down to other factors such as nationality, funding, mental strength, luck ( being around the right players/coaches) as to how far they go.

I would agree with this, but would add that people who are really finding it difficult because of some limitations they have get frustrated and move on to something else.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2015 at 12:43pm

Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

I would agree with this, but would add that people who are really finding it difficult because of some limitations they have get frustrated and move on to something else.

Yes, or find quickly that to succeed in TT you have to be dedicated to the point of obsession.
The Older I get, The better I was.
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2015 at 8:30am
Originally posted by TTFrenzy TTFrenzy wrote:

waldner has stated, the he actually developed his infamous "feel" for the ball by experimenting all the time, even in matches. Its a fact that some people have natural gift of what we call  soft and flexible wrist  compared to others...
And this pretty much sums up everything that is driving Andy (and me) insane.

!.  "waldner has stated that he actually developed his infamous "feel" for the ball"
2. "It's a fact that some people have natural gift for what we call soft and flexible wrist"

These two statements are contradictory.  They cannot both be correct.

If Waldner, whose touch was second to none, states that he had to develop that touch then he is denying the need for "natural talent".  JO had to work at it.  JO was not born with "talent" - he did what everybody else does - he learnt the game.

If you deny talent, then, I assume that you can pick 100 random kids, give them the same training and they will al be at the same level? I refuse to believe that, simply because some people have more talent then others.
You assume wrong.  Nowhere does Andy say (nor do I) that everyone is the same.  Nowhere is there any suggestion that everyone is born equal or that everyone responds equally to training.  But posters keep putting up this straw man argument as if knocking it down proves their case. 

I think Andy's point is that the combination of genetic differences plus environmental factors produces different levels of players, but that all of those factors have some logical explanation.  Somewhere in the genes or somewhere in the environment differences will weigh in to cause one player to be a world champ and another to be a klutz.  Sometimes those differences are obvious: blindness, lack of speed, lack of opportunity, lack of self-belief, etc., etc., etc.

In all of the myriad factors at play, I don't believe that one of them is "magic".  A factor which can't be identified, examined, measured, or in any way proved to exist is "magic".  Calling it "talent" and believing in it is pretty much a refusal to believe in rational and concrete explanations for real world situations.

Lestat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lestat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2015 at 9:24am
Originally posted by Tassie52 Tassie52 wrote:

Originally posted by TTFrenzy TTFrenzy wrote:

waldner has stated, the he actually developed his infamous "feel" for the ball by experimenting all the time, even in matches. Its a fact that some people have natural gift of what we call  soft and flexible wrist  compared to others...
And this pretty much sums up everything that is driving Andy (and me) insane.

!.  "waldner has stated that he actually developed his infamous "feel" for the ball"
2. "It's a fact that some people have natural gift for what we call soft and flexible wrist"

These two statements are contradictory.  They cannot both be correct.

Yes, they are both correct. Pick up a dictionary and you'll see the word develop can have 2 meanings: originate/generate/establish as well as expand/enlarge/reinforce. It's pretty obvious what he means in this context.
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2015 at 9:43am
TT is unique since physical strength is not a requirement to play at a decent hobby skill level with the proper technique training. Look at the trained children.
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 12>
  Share Topic