FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

question of talent

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
Author
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2015 at 9:22am
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Don't misconstrue what I'm saying - I'm not criticising "people when you aren't the one trying to solve the problems in the system".  I'm criticising people who believe wholeheartedly in "talent", say that they can spot the lack of it, say that that lack is terminal and cannot be overcome.  A teacher who does these things is a bad one IMO.  I offer the other alternatives as a tool for comparison.  If a teacher hasn't tried to do these things, or the system doesn't allow them to try them, then the failing is in the teacher or the system.

I don't know *any* teacher who does this in quite the form you are describing.  At the very worst, most teachers may not be flexible enough to adapt to the demands of student when they are compensated to teach a whole class.  In addition, teachers are often conditioned by past failures.

Just for clarity (since you seem to see this as some kind of personal attack) - the distinction is this.  A student fails.  Are you bothered at all by this?  Can you, or the system, do better next time?  Even if it's impractical to make the necessary changes, would you want to when given the resources?  If so, that's great, and I'm 99% sure you, NL, personally would.  But if someone else, as a teacher, just puts the whole experience down to a singular cause - lack of "talent" - then they have failed IMO.  If you wholeheartedly believe in talent existing, and the lack of it being an impossible hurdle, without even bothering to investigate to see if your assumption is right, you are causing a problem.

Not so much as personal attack but as a naive and common view often largely pushed by people who have never taught.  It's also often pushed by smart people who never hit or understood the ceiling of their learning abilities. I am not saying that you are one of them, but even in table tennis, we have 1600 level players who can talk a lot about what it takes to play at a high level without ever admitting that they have no experience with high level play.  Some of the 1900 players at my club like to tell 2100 level juniors how to play even though they have never trained a 1700 player from scratch before.  

I get you - very often, talent is not what people think it is.  But you can and should only speak of talent within a set of people and comparing samples/populations.  And you should diagnose/identify the actual problem before concluding what is causing it.  That said, when someone says that everyone should be able to pass high school math, I think they are largely unfamiliar with what is out there.

I'm not a scientist, but I am trying to show how the perception of the power of innate talent can cascade down from the elite level into the general public realm.  There will always be functional leaps here because we are into the territory of human behavior and how it can be influenced.  Of course, this is just from my own personal experience of seeing (IMO) good teachers and bad teachers at work, and should not at all be considered as some sort of gospel.

Perhaps I should have gone with some of the more formal studies of the effect of presupposition of the overwhelming value of innate ability.  Some of Carol Dweck's work on fixed mindsets and how it can change reaction to failure may get you off my back.

Regardless, please take my comments on teachers/education as simply my own observation based on experience (my wife is a high school science teacher, 20 years service) and not fact.

People like Dweck do interesting work, but they don't do anything for the people that need it the most.  In my experience, their ideas help some underachievers, but don't do the really critical work of addressing the talent/achievement gap that was built into the No Child Left Behind Act.

Well, this is a long way from how I actually feel, so you've probably missed something somewhere, or I haven't explained it to your satisfaction.  So I'll try to be clear.  I absolutely agree that you can't determine in advance the underlying "matter", or whatever.  My concern is the how the entire system can lead to stigmatisation, and how there is a danger that teachers themselves can fall into the trap of lazy thinking and the use of the lack of "talent" as justification for decision making.  I don't claim to have some magical understanding of the processes at work, but others do and then things happen based on that.

Back to my opinion - if at ANY point, a teacher is forced to give up on a student, I believe the default opinion should be something material has probably (not definitely) gone wrong somewhere.  That might not be a failing of the teacher, but thought and investigation should take place into real things which are well understood.  What I'm trying to put across here is that the myth of the overriding power of talent will prevent this from happening, because it sure is a lot easier to just write the student off as untalented.  An "untalented student" is just what's left after all other possibilities have been exhausted, should never be the first option, and should never prevent further investigation into other factors.  It is an unsatisfactory and often misleading conclusion.

NL - I want people to think, rather than just assume they know.

In principle, I agree with you.  In practice, there are difficulties with this that I think you aren't giving enough weight.  Human beings are valuable in themselves but do realize that there are dead ends and failures that often outnumber the successes you speak of (but as dead ends, we tend not to talk about them).

What you are saying is ideal but as human beings, we have our biases.  Everything that requires improvement has to be built into the system in a repeatable way.  The overriding power of "talent" does not excuse the teacher from being responsible for helping the student, but people who would make gifted teachers often have other things they could do in the USA given how teachers are compensated.  And even then, there is only so much a teacher can actually do in many cases.  The overriding power of talent does mean that the teacher is likely to have a few intransigent cases and should look for ways to identify them.  Unfortunately, rather than having more tools to address these disparities in results, it sometimes seems to me that we have less because everyone wants the kids to all turn out above average and thinks it can be done by addressing the problem in largely the same way!

If we look at table tennis in the USA, in my experience, talent is rarely the reason why someone who is in the 1000-2000 range is stuck at the level they are at.  It's usually technical and time constraints.    But that is largely a function of the way the current TT population is selected and designed - you see adult hobbyists who enjoy the game but never had serious coaching at the age it most mattered.  Those that have are taught by coaches who learned as kids and don't understand how to break the game apart to an adult learner who just wants to enjoy competition.  So when you give these adults who love hitting the ball some tips/information, you can see that if they stuck with it, they would improve.  But this is the adult TT population in the USA playing at a level where they haven't peaked.  Many of them have shown more than adequate learning skills in other arenas of life unrelated to table tennis.  This is very different from working with the general population, which is what you might get in a public school in many neighborhoods in the USA.  And yes, if you asked many of these stagnating adults what is happening, some of them may say talent etc.  Some of them may say they don't have time and this may be true.  But there are many who just don't realize how technical the sport is because the people who have the information often don't know how to share it.

So yes, identifying causes is critical.  But IMO, it only addresses part of the gap.  What part it address is empirical and specific to the population.  But once you are dealing with the general population, you can be fairly sure that you are dealing with a talent issue.  Baal gave the explanation why in his explanation of why Syed and LGL might differ.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Sponsored Links

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2015 at 9:29am

Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

There is a mountain of evidence for genetic variation in individuals of outbred species that makes it easier for some than others to acquire the ability to do certain things within a given length of time.  I can't say that it is has been formally studied in table tennis what those traits are, but then again Andy is arguing from other activities too, when it suits him.  

Only to point out the over-generalisations that people are prone to make, I hope.  There is lots of evidence, as you rightly say.  But then people jump from that to the sure belief that it is in action everywhere, and it is profound.  It's happened in this thread about TT.  "It's probably the same in TT" isn't a sentiment which carries weight for me.

Andy, you write, "I'm criticising people who believe wholeheartedly in "talent", say that they can spot the lack of it, say that that lack is terminal and cannot be overcome.".  That's good.  Nobody who has commented on this thread would make all the arguments you are criticizing.  It's a caricature of what people here actually are saying. 

That was aimed at people who operate in education, not at anyone here, so it's not a caricature of anyone here at all.  This is cherry-picking, even if it is accidental.

I'll re-write to be more focused on people on this thread - "I'm criticising people who believe wholeheartedly in "talent", say that they can spot the definite existence of it, say that it is the definite reason why some elite TT players are better than others, or better than we ourselves can hope to become".

And my point is that the thinking involved in the re-write LEADS to the thinking in the original statement.

I work in education (university).  I would never make that argument.  But if it's not aimed at anyone here, why did you throw out that straw man?

As for generalization, you are arguing about teachers in a thread on table tennis.  Talk about generalizing!  I am arguing about behavioral genetics, including things like identical twin studies, and a mountain of evidence.  It would certainly apply to table tennis.  Why would TT be different from any other complex task that has ever been studied?

Genetics is profound.  It is also not everything, far from it.  This may not carry much weight with you.  But it should.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2015 at 9:34am
I am just speculating here, but I suspect if you analyzed the top 20 table tennis players in the world you would find that compared to most people they have really good eyesight, especially depth perception.  I would hypothesize they had it as kids, as well as great ability to track moving objects.  I would suspect they have unusually good balance, even as kids.  I would bet that even as kids, before they ever picked up a paddle, they could throw a ball with more accuracy than their peers.  I repeat I am just guessing.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2015 at 10:13am
Lol - it's not a straw man. That would be a deliberate misrepresention of someone else's position to support your own. Also, its not a generalisation, because that would be if I'd said all or most teachers do such and such. What it is, as I've already said, is my opinion based on personal experience.

What I was driving at was the concept that the notion that talent exists, and is profound, and doesn't need to be investigated, leads to the same thought process bring applied inappropriately in other areas of life, education being the example. Have I demonstrated a causal link between the two? No. But its my opinion, not presented as fact.

If you want to say that I presented it as fact, and then beat it down on that basis, then there's your example of a straw man.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2015 at 10:19am

I am just speculating here, but I suspect if you analyzed the top 20 table tennis players in the world you would find that compared to most people they have really good eyesight, especially depth perception.  I would hypothesize they had it as kids, as well as great ability to track moving objects.  I would suspect they have unusually good balance, even as kids.  I would bet that even as kids, before they ever picked up a paddle, they could throw a ball with more accuracy than their peers.  I repeat I am just guessing.

Nice speculation. Could be true! No need to investigate further, this must be why FZD is better than his peers!

(Another straw man, added as parody)
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2015 at 10:20am

Lol - it's not a straw man. That would be a deliberate misrepresention of someone else's position to support your own. 

Well, so you criticized an opinion that nobody here was actually stating because...... anyone? anyone?  Bueller?  Bueller? 
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2015 at 10:27am

Nice speculation. Could be true! No need to investigate further, this must be why FZD is better than his peers!

(Another straw man, added as parody)

Baal is being nice. If I had to bet my life
on his claim vs. the view that these factors he listed played no role, I would go with his view. It's not about the need to investigate, its what all the dominant research shows at that level when comparing such people to members of the general population.
Cybershape Carbon
Lestat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lestat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2015 at 10:35am

Originally posted by Lestat Lestat wrote:

We’re not able to measure a black hole, but we can observe its presence, and even speculate about the size of it. There’s no denying it exists. How is this talent business different?

Black holes have an absolute mountain of supporting evidence.  They were predicted to exist well before they were discovered, can be "measured" (I'm not sure what you mean by measured in this context to be honest) in many ways via indirect observation, are quite predictable and respond consistently to experimental testing, and are modeled in detail with incredible accuracy.  It is a physical entity, albeit a strange one in comparison with the smaller-scale world we interact with.  There are still many open questions about black holes, and I don't know anyone who states with 100% certainty that they know everything about them, and all the effects they have.  Anyone who does is being dishonest, IMO.

I suppose I can use black holes as an analogy though.  Pointing to a group of people and declaring "talent" is like pointing at a black hole and declaring that you 100% know what's inside.

I'd rather not get into the religious aspects of things here.  It's already bad enough with the politics!

This is going well beyond splitting the hair in four. What exactly do you want in terms of evidence, a scientific paper? Is it not enough that any experienced coach who has worked long enough with juniors will tell you the same thing: given an equal amount of work, some juniors advance way faster than others? Do you imply they don't know what they're observing? Do you imply there might be other forces at play other than natural ability? Is their observation compromised because they weren't able to keep the environment sterile enough? Statistically speaking, you're the odd one out. I think it's pretty safe to call it a fact, unless you're moving the goal posts of the discussion beyond what anybody might call reasonable. Which you certainly do.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2015 at 10:47am
There is a thing called burden of proof.  Where that burden lies is based on what is already known.  At this point the burden of proof would not be on those of us who say that some people can reach a particular level in TT a bit faster than other people because of some physical and/or cognitive traits they were lucky enough to be born with, and that the top handful of players in the world (in any sport) have many of the physical/cognitive traits that are really good for that sport.  Also, you can get really good at this sport by hard work and determination, in spite of this (but maybe not top 20 in the world).
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2015 at 11:05am
Originally posted by Lestat Lestat wrote:

This is going well beyond splitting the hair in four. What exactly do you want in terms of evidence, a scientific paper? Is it not enough that any experienced coach who has worked long enough with juniors will tell you the same thing: given an equal amount of work, some juniors advance way faster than others? Do you imply they don't know what they're observing? Do you imply there might be other forces at play other than natural ability? Is their observation compromised because they weren't able to keep the environment sterile enough? Statistically speaking, you're the odd one out. I think it's pretty safe to call it a fact, unless you're moving the goal posts of the discussion beyond what anybody might call reasonable. Which you certainly do.

I think that people want to state things as fact without some sort of study or investigation is absolutely the problem I'm trying to discuss here.  I'm not splitting hairs, I'm stating my case.  You want to be able to state things as fact without evidence, and this is exactly the tendency in people which leads to bad decision making.

However, you have expanded your position somewhat with your post - "given an equal amount of work".  I would have no respect for a coach's insistence that talent is the only, or major, factor in one junior advancing way faster than the others without the coach being able to demonstrate that an "equal amount of work" has taken place, overall.  In essence, if the coach hasn't bothered to look into the background of each junior, and yet still presents talent as the answer, then I can't respect that because we just don't know that this is what has happened in reality.  The best juniors may have started earlier, or packed more training time into their calendar, or trained in an innovative way, or be simply older and more physically developed in the age bracket.  

The world is messy, chaotic, and in any group of juniors there will be variances.  Genetic and historical.  To look at that group and declare genetics (if we are conflating talent with genetics here) is the obvious major reason behind the variance is a massive stretch (unless you bother to check).  You could only do that with absolute certainty if the environment for each junior - from birth! - had been totally identical - a practical impossibility.  So IMO absolute certainty is impossible in this sense, but when can we be absolutely certain about anything in life, right?

I would absolutely respect the ability of an experienced coach to spot the difference in skill in his juniors.  And yes, how quickly they are picking up skills in comparison with the rest.  They would most likely do that far better than I would.  But to call it talent without knowing what actually happened or investigating is a guess, regardless of the coach's own experience, and I wouldn't respect that.  If the coach spotted something extraordinary in one junior, and then investigated in order to find out why - that I would have respect for.  I wouldn't expect a peer-reviewed paper from the coach, but I'd at least expect him to rule out the obvious stuff which is easy to check.  And then, after the checking has been done, we can actually get at the genetic factors which are in play here, rather than just saying that they are in play.

Or, and this would be a massive step forward IMO, the coach could just stick to things that he definitely does know - skill level, attitude, willingness to put the hard graft in - and not make baseless guesses about genetic factors.  So, the coach can investigate, or take an honest position of "I don't know", but not assert as FACT something which could be a multitude of other things.

IMO, the talent myth is the notion that talent is obvious, and obviously the reason behind excellence, and it obviously can't be anything else, and we don't need to check to confirm that, because it's obvious.  And yet when we investigate the skills of the elite at the top end of many activities in an unbiased way, we find a significant relationship between skill level and hours trained.  Which isn't to say that genetic advantages aren't present as well, but it should at least give any coach pause for thought about what's actually happening before declaring "talent" is definitely the root cause, be it the sole cause or the major one.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2015 at 11:19am
So Andy, since you believe in hours trained, do you realize that people tend to spend more hours doing something when they continue to get return for doing it? Is it possible that hours trained is putting the cart before the horse?

Do know that even when people share technical info on TT, the guy who figures it out tends to be the kind of guy who gets returns to his time investment quicker than those he teaches. So he is willing to spend hours innovating and sharing with others who could spend similar time and get little.

Hours spent really distorts the role of ability and technique in these things. Pinker's takedown of Gladwell is a personal fave.
Cybershape Carbon
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2015 at 11:31am

There is a thing called burden of proof.  Where that burden lies is based on what is already known.  At this point the burden of proof would not be on those of us who say that some people can reach a particular level in TT a bit faster than other people because of some physical and/or cognitive traits they were lucky enough to be born with, and that the top handful of players in the world (in any sport) have many of the physical/cognitive traits that are really good for that sport.  Also, you can get really good at this sport by hard work and determination, in spite of this (but maybe not top 20 in the world).

If this is aimed at me, then it's another straw man I'm afraid, and another bit of conjecture added to the end (although you probably already know that).

I may add this to my sig - genetic advantages exist, and have some part to play.  I'm not saying that they're not there!  The problem is when people baselessly assert that this must be the reason why things are as they are, as you have sort of done at the end with your top 20 guess (although I'll take the use of "maybe" as an opinion, rather than a statement of fact, obvs).  Where the burden remains is how you quantify "a bit faster", how that can't be completely blanketed by general variation in people's life experience when you observe the finished product (so, how you avoid false positives, essentially), and how you can say "the top handful of players in the world (in any sport) have many of the physical/cognitive traits that are really good for that sport" without even knowing what those traits are, or how to test for them.  And this isn't aimed at you Baal, because you're more circumspect with your assertions, but people absolutely believe this stuff to be true, and that there's no need to check.  I mean, how are you going to understand anything about this process if your attitude is that there's no need to check? (again, not aimed at you)

Let's take vision as an example, because that's come up and is interesting.  I can definitely see that perfect vision would help, not just during development, but right at the top.  It's plausible.  However, perfect vision isn't necessarily a prerequisite of getting into the top 20, because we have glasses-wearing players in the top 20.  So, what kind of influence is it having?  A major one?  A vanishingly small one?  One which can be overcome by some other factor (another genetic advantage, or more/better training), or one which can't?  It's incredibly hard to tell, or test even.  A study could be done on vision in the top 100, and that would prove the influence exists at least, which would be a start.  But should we start selecting players on the basis of vision?  Should we look at a group of juniors and declare that the better ones must be the ones with the better vision?  Of course not, that would be foolish!  Vision might be a factor, but a coach asserting vision to definitely be the reason behind a junior's better ability without even checking would be madness.  But if we scale vision up to the higher descriptive label of "talent" then it becomes OK?  No, not for me.  The same burden still applies.

And there may well be other genetic factors as well, which we could all jump in and start guessing about.  And then we could move from those guesses into something useful, like testing them.  And then, from there, attempt to work out how big a factor it is.  But if the prevailing idea is that we already know, why bother, eh?
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2015 at 11:37am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

So Andy, since you believe in hours trained, do you realize that people tend to spend more hours doing something when they continue to get return for doing it? Is it possible that hours trained is putting the cart before the horse?

Do know that even when people share technical info on TT, the guy who figures it out tends to be the kind of guy who gets returns to his time investment quicker than those he teaches. So he is willing to spend hours innovating and sharing with others who could spend similar time and get little.

Hours spent really distorts the role of ability and technique in these things. Pinker's takedown of Gladwell is a personal fave.

Definitely possible - the positive reinforcement of early success.  And for sure, just using "hours spent" is too simplistic a metric.  But again, we go back to the root cause of the early success, and it becomes less clear as to why that happened.  A better coach, more interesting training routines, a more enthusiastic and involved parent, a size advantage in your peer group due to age (so you're more likely to beat your peers, keeping you happy).  Or some sort of genetic factor, of which there are lots of possibilities for sure. 

So, we are talking about the effectiveness of the hours spent, as well as the sheer numbers.  What do you want to say about it?  That genetic advantage plays a part?  Or that it's obviously, definitely "talent" and you can see it from a mile away?

I will look up Pinker/Gladwell later.  Sounds interesting, as ever.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2015 at 11:37am
Just curious - who wears glasses in the top 20 and why do they wear them?
Cybershape Carbon
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2015 at 12:07pm

Just curious - who wears glasses in the top 20 and why do they wear them?

You! You're good, you. I wondered if someone would call me on that when I typed it in. Why can't people be as skeptical about talent as they are about my dubious claims? ;-)

I was thinking of mattenet , but he isn't top 20 any more. And habesohn, who is in the top 20 in the points race this year, but that's not really the same.

As to why? Fashion? Read a book between points?
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2015 at 12:11pm
Like I said earlier, when comparing identical twins, the genes are the same or almost the same so the environment tends to be critical. When comparing identical environments, the genes tend to be critical. When looking at the general population, there is always the influence of both and without any serious investigation, one can confidently postulate the impact of both.

People who sometimes deny the impact of genes are thinking about a narrow subset of the population such as club TT players as the general population. The general population is of course far larger than that! The general population includes some people who would have TT traits as well as people who could not get decent even with multiple hours. The top 20 would have lots of traits that help with TT and have them in greater abundance than the rest of the world on average.

For something as complex as TT, for any one trait, there would clearly be exceptions. And in fact, its quite possible that TT is complicated enough that the contribution of single traits is so small that the combination of all the traits is what matters. Ultimately, my point is that everything we know about human beings says that when something has been exposed to a population as large as China, a lot of the top players have genetic advantages.

Cybershape Carbon
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2015 at 12:19pm

If this is aimed at me, then it's another straw man I'm afraid, and another bit of conjecture added to the end (although you probably already know that).

I would not call it a straw man.  Burden of proof would be on you given what we know about behavioral genetics to prove that talent does not exist, not the other way around. 

I was pretty clear about identifying the things that I wrote that are speculation and those that are not.  So yes, the end of that last post was conjecture.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2015 at 12:23pm
Here is another one in addition to the glasses issue.  Is there anyone in the top 50 in the world taller than 6'5" (about average height for a shooting guard in the NBA)?  Or more than 220 lbs (on the small size for an NFL football player)?
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2015 at 12:27pm

For something as complex as TT, for any one trait, there would clearly be exceptions. And in fact, its quite possible that TT is complicated enough that the contribution of single traits is so small that the combination of all the traits is what matters. Ultimately, my point is that everything we know about human beings says that when something has been exposed to a population as large as China, a lot of the top players have genetic advantages.

I actually think that something as complex as TT makes it so difficult to untangle the different factors that it becomes very difficult to state things with certainty at this stage.  The game supports so many play styles, body shapes and sizes, that any genetic advantage can easily be outweighed by focusing on a specific style or training approach (or at least, more easily than other sports where genes play a much heavier role).  But that's just my opinion, based on nothing much.

Also, your point about China is excellent.  Genetic advantages exist, so a bigger population makes it easier to leverage them if you're looking for them, and can test for them accurately.  But can you?  I guess that China's monster TT machine can, and do, because it makes sense to do so.  However, that only really focuses on China vs the World.  It doesn't support broadening of the talent concept to cover things like "fan has more talent than the peers in his group", or "take a group, some will excel, that will be down to talent".  China has the advantage of numbers and obsession.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2015 at 12:29pm

I would not call it a straw man.  Burden of proof would be on you given what we know about behavioral genetics to prove that talent does not exist, not the other way around. 

I was pretty clear about identifying the things that I wrote that are speculation and those that are not.  So yes, the end of that last post was conjecture.

No, it's a straw man because I'm not saying that genetic advantage (avoiding the use of talent) doesn't exist.  I'm not saying it.  It's there.  It exists as a factor in the world.  Stop saying that I'm saying that it  doesn't exist, or you'll need a shed in your garden for your straw men.

Stop it.

Stop.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2015 at 12:52pm
Andy, the modern definition of talent is largely genetic advantage as well as maybe a few environmental influences on anatomy that persist long after after the individual is removed from where influences had their effect. The combination of nature meets nurture gives rise to a phenomenal individual.

Cybershape Carbon
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2015 at 12:58pm

Andy, the modern definition of talent is largely genetic advantage as well as maybe a few environmental influences on anatomy that persist long after after the individual is removed from where influences had their effect. The combination of nature meets nurture gives rise to a phenomenal individual.

OK, excellent. I'm trying to avoid using the term, or I'm using quotes, because I think there might be some confusion about the accepted definition too. But I'm all for that definition.

But Baal is missing my point. He wants to invent a point, and then provide evidence to disprove it. I'm sure he's nearly got me cornered though. But I am in no way denying the existence of genetic advantage in general.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2015 at 1:19pm
Well, one of the big debates is whether genes influence mental behavior. All the public sentiments says no, while all the cutting edge behavioral geneticists say yes. It's one of those things that people don't speak about in polite company for fear of reprisal. In fact, I am soon going to stop discussing this. It can be that hot even amongst friends.
Cybershape Carbon
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2015 at 1:30pm

Well, one of the big debates is whether genes influence mental behavior. All the public sentiments says no, while all the cutting edge behavioral geneticists say yes. It's one of those things that people don't speak about in polite company for fear of reprisal. In fact, I am soon going to stop discussing this. It can be that hot even amongst friends.

Hmmm. Do you mean they run into taboo areas like racism?

It can be hard to find an environment where discussions can be totally abstract. Public forums are definitely unsafe. Behavioral geneticists would probably not find twitter a safe place, for example.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2015 at 1:36pm

Hmmm. Do you mean they run into taboo areas like racism?

It can be hard to find an environment where discussions can be totally abstract. Public forums are definitely unsafe. Behavioral geneticists would probably not find twitter a safe place, for example.

Yep. Behavioral geneticists tend to be the most civilized and nuanced racists, sexists, classists and individualists in the world.

Edited by NextLevel - 05/05/2015 at 1:37pm
Cybershape Carbon
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2015 at 2:07pm
so, conclusion is, Andy knows that talent exists, but he doesnt like the word talent so he wants us all to stop using it.

To be honest, I fail to see his point or why the word upsets him. If we claimed that it was all about talent, then I could understand him, but we all know that talent alone means nothing. Hard work combined with talent can get you far. Hard work, without talent, still beats purely talent.

In the book about JO Waldner, his brother says that JO could try a new stroke in warm up and begin using it in the next match, while he himself needed to spend several hours working on a new stroke before it was ready to be used in matches. To me, that is a talent of JO. Was he born with it or did he get this from some strange events earlier on in his childhood? Doesnt matter, according to me, because its still a talent that JO had.
The holy grail
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2015 at 2:59pm

Sorry, NextLevel, but you're wrong.  That is exactly NOT how people use the term talent.

Quote noun
a special natural ability or aptitude
The definition clearly states two things:
1. natural ability - this could be taken to include any genetic advantage.  With this understanding, we could say, "Having large feet is a talent."  But that is not how we use the term, is it?  And the same goes for good eyesight.  "He has good eyesight. That's a talent."  No.
2. special - this clearly indicates a particular type of natural ability.  Again this disqualifies foot size, eyesight and other very ordinary genetic factors.  Special means different from.  When we say, "Jimmy has talent" we mean that Jimmy has something which others don't.  Okay, so what does Jimmy have?  Ummm.... well, he's better than everyone else.  Okay, why is he better than everyone else?  Because he has talent.  Enter circular argument.  Never exit.

I believe, heart and soul, that genetic advantage is real.  No endomorph is ever going to win the Olympic 100m.  If you're born with wide hips and narrow shoulders, give up any dreams you may have of beating Usain Bolt.  Similarly, if you're a girl over the 90th percentile for height, forget about the beam in gymnastics.  These are genetic factors and they play a part.

I believe, heart and soul, that environmental factors are also real.  No kid born into a tribe in the depths of the Amazon is ever going to make it into the table tennis top 10.  They will simply never have the opportunity.  Doesn't matter what genetic advantages they have, it's not going to happen.  Similarly, any kid who doesn't train their socks off for years is never going to play for Barca.  Any simple investigation will reveal that to be a fact.

But, and this is the point for me, it has never been proven to me that any of the world's best athletes have a "special natural ability" which is neither genetic nor the end product of environmental influences.  The Williams sisters?  Look at the body, look at the parent.  No need to look for some "special natural ability."  Everything can be explained without it.  Look at Messi.  Look at the body, look at the training.  Fan Zhen Dong?  Look at the body, look at the training. 

What sets one elite athlete apart from another?  No one has proven that there exists some "special" natural ability to explain it.  Any detailed examination will ultimately reveal something in their particular combination of genetic and environmental factors that gives them an edge.  Waldner's edge in touch?  Hypothesis: he experimented and practised it while everyone else thought only of their loops.  No "special natural ability" required if that's the case.

"Talent = special natural ability" should mean that we can identify elite athletes who have neither the genetic advantages nor the environmental one but who have still made it to the top.  If you can name a single one, then I'll pack up my soapbox and leave the discussion.

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2015 at 3:06pm

No, it's a straw man because I'm not saying that genetic advantage (avoiding the use of talent) doesn't exist.  I'm not saying it.  It's there.  It exists as a factor in the world.  Stop saying that I'm saying that it  doesn't exist, or you'll need a shed in your garden for your straw men.

Stop it.

Stop.

OK.  Progress.  So what is this all about then?  Because at this point I fail to see much of a point that you are making.  Except, perhaps, that this very true thing can also be misused for various reasons, by people who are lazy, incompetent or with bad intentions?  I said that far up-thread. 

Life isn't always fair that's for sure.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2015 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by Tassie52 Tassie52 wrote:

But, and this is the point for me, it has never been proven to me that any of the world's best athletes have a "special natural ability" which is neither genetic nor the end product of environmental influences.

You are right.  Those are the two things.  That's it.  None of us are talking about a third magical factor.  Well, I'm not.  I don't believe anyone is blessed by the God of Ping Pong to be a genius. 

Both of these two things matter.  They are both complex (many genes leading to various physical traits, also many environmental influences, some of which also influence physical traits, as well as access to the sport, access to coaching, money, access to good competition etc. etc.).

Maybe now we can put this to sleep. 
geardaddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geardaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2015 at 3:14pm
You guys can debate nature vs. nurture until the cows come home.  Defining the word "talent" may be even more of a futile effort to come to consensus.

The fact of the matter is in TT genetics do matter.  Probably the most significant genetic factor is one's reaction time.  All successful TT players possess superior reaction time, and it is known to degrade with age.  Without good reaction time in TT, you are sunk!

Edited by geardaddy - 05/05/2015 at 3:15pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
  Share Topic