Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

An amazing find!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: An amazing find!
    Posted: 05/05/2015 at 3:22am
For years now I have been lamenting the day I threw out my old Dunlop Barna blade.  It was "too old, too damaged, too gunked up with old glue, no longer needed, never going to be used again."  So into the bin it went!

Or so I thought.

I'm getting ready to move house and came across a box I haven't looked in since the last, pre-starting-to-play-TT-again move.  And there it was!

Sponsored Links

ttTurkey View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttTurkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2015 at 3:27am
Nice, I can think of someone who will approve and would enjoy a game against that...
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2015 at 3:36am
Originally posted by ttTurkey ttTurkey wrote:

Nice, I can think of someone who will approve and would enjoy a game against that...
Lol.  I'm waiting for a response.  I suspect he may think this treasure is wasted on me!

Knuckle Ball View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knuckle Ball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2015 at 5:16am
Nice. so how does it play?

Blade: Rosewood NCT V
FH: Dignics 05 Black
BH: Moristo SP Red
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2015 at 6:46am
This blade is Dunlop Barna from 60's with logo like a tear-drop.
I have had this model before time, It was heavy around 120 grams with huge head.
It is speedy and has good skills with OX pimples.
But I really prefer the elder model from 50's which is more hard, has a higher touch and spin.
I have one for sale in very good condition, if someone is interested....you have my contacts Smile
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2015 at 9:38am
Out of interest I checked the ITTF museum to try to identify the age of the blade.  I'm pretty certain that it's this model, but mine has been "modified".

The shoulders of my blade have been cut away where with this one they taper into the handle.

Blade weight without rubber: 126gm
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2015 at 11:15pm
After looking a second time at your Dunlop Barna blade, it now does appear to me that the shoulders of this blade may have been cut away, though the shoulders of the Barna blades of the mid-1940s were narrower than the later 1950s and 1960s versions of that bat.  I'm not sure why, possibly to facilitate a higher grip up the handle closer to the head of the blade.  

The blade seems to be in fairly good shape, with no obvious signs of splintering of the outer veneers of the head of the blade or visible signs of warpage that I can detect from your photo. 
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2015 at 1:57am
So, what should rubber should I put on it?  If you suggest British Leyland, then I'll ask for details of a supplier.  If not Leyland, then what?

kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2015 at 2:25am
Just clean the blade's surface with some kind of solvent.
Then you could post some OX pips, but you need to know this blade has a huge head and I don't know which rubber will be enough big for it. I have always had a space between the rubber and handle.
You could ask some hard-bat master for advice, may be Valor Table Tennis...
Leftyy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leftyy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2015 at 4:00pm
Haha looks like it comes from ancient Egypt or something! Lovely find. Is it just me who thinks the handle looks like it would fit really good in the hand? How does it feel holding? 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2015 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by Tassie52 Tassie52 wrote:

So, what should rubber should I put on it?  If you suggest British Leyland, then I'll ask for details of a supplier.  If not Leyland, then what?

If you wish, Tassie52, to put British Leyland onto your Barna blade, contact Don Varian of Hock Table Tennis, 2626 Varian Road, Wooster, Ohio 44691 U.S.A. or e-mail him at [email protected].  Don has resumed making rackets under the Hock name after a job change which took him to various parts of the U.S., particularly the Northwest.  He should have British Leyland rubber, but as I haven't been in contact with Don for several years I don't know what he might charge in USD for two sheets of it.

Affixing British Leyland rubber to your Barna blade would assuredly give you a classic hardbat, but I'm not sure whether or not you could use it in a sanctioned tournament, as the Leyland & Birmingham Co. in Leyland, Great Britain, produced the rubber as a sideline to their general business of producing rubber materials for aircraft and automobiles before the ITTF began approving rubbers.

If you wish to try your Barna blade in a sanctioned tournament, I would suggest you visit Alberto Prieto's Valor Table Tennis website, which I believe is valortabletennis.com, and purchase one red and one black sheet of his Valor Premier rubber, which sells for $23.95 USD.  It can fit oversized blades, and I would suggest the version of Valor Premier which comes with a cloth backing.

bmann1942
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2015 at 11:51am
I believe the USATT used to have a rule that any racket deemed legal under the hardbat committee rules is legal for usatt play.  Not sure if that's still around, but it used to be my understanding.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2015 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

I believe the USATT used to have a rule that any racket deemed legal under the hardbat committee rules is legal for usatt play.  Not sure if that's still around, but it used to be my understanding.

They rescinded the two-color waiver recently, so that isn't strictly true any more.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2015 at 12:40pm

Depends on your intentions.  If the goal is to make it as much like it was originally, then yes, scoring some Leyland rubber would be the way to go.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2015 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

Depends on your intentions.  If the goal is to make it as much like it was originally, then yes, scoring some Leyland rubber would be the way to go.

http://www.ittf.com/museum/TTC70.pdf

(Chuck Hoey, Curator, ITTF Museum)

A further question that always haunts and taunts me is what type of rubber did Victor deploy and when. In the mid nineteen thirties, it was almost certainly Leyland and we will soon understand a little more about his rackets of that time. But again, in the light of the title of this feature (the curtain slowly but surely opening more and more) another interesting 15 Early Barna racket, with signature logo and cork tip. Marcotulli Collection. tit-bit of information about rubber has just emerged. Fabio’s friend and former Venezuelan international, Denis Gaal (born a Hungarian) recently informed Fabio that Victor had once told him that the first pimpled rubber he glued to his racket was from the cash till of a cinema – a device designed to prevent coin slippage. Barna must have thought – ‘that looks useful - - - I’ll glue that on my bat.’ And of course it harks back to the tale of 1902 when E.C Goode was said to have done a similar thing when he too stuck on a piece of stippled or pimpled rubber, and it is thought he was the first person to have done so. But where did it come from – who knows? But we now know it’s not beyond the bounds of possibility that all such rubber came from the Leyland and Birmingham Rubber Company, since it has quite recently been shown that L and B were well in to table tennis as early as 1902. The feature in edition 62 demonstrates that L and B made pimpled rubber for the grips of horses reins.

Edited by berndt_mann - 05/08/2015 at 4:43pm
bmann1942
assam View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2015 at 4:44pm
My father also has an old Dunlop Barna like that one, from middle 60's bt with 2 red rubbers and original bat cover. As soon as I go at him I'll take some photos to post
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2015 at 9:18pm
Please help me!  I must have some horrible medical condition - possibly a mental illness.

Symptoms.
  1. Itching palm of my right hand whenever I go anywhere near the paddle case holding my Barna
  2. Overwhelming desire to "just have a little play with it"
  3. Urge to skip when I hear the ball bouncing of my hardbat setup
  4. Whooping when a forehand drive goes on (not a common symptom, it must be said)
More serious symptoms.
  1. An attack of "I don't care" when I lose to players I normally handle comfortably
  2. Heartburn when I realise I'm seriously failing to do justice to what is still a magnificent bat

Yesterday morning I played with the Barna against some guys who generally beat me pretty easily.  I pushed them both and even took a game off each of them.  Even so, I recognise that I'm underperforming with this style.  My main issue is I find it difficult to put pressure on my opponents.  Pushes and chops are consistent but no real spin to contend with.  My drives, both BH and FH, just don't have any real speed on them.

Where do I go for hardbat training videos?
The Canadian Bacon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Canadian Bacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2015 at 9:56pm
My friend had one in brand new package and sold it for $150usd to a collector i told him not to sell, it can be found for around  $300-400usd mint condition, new in package is a collectible worth much more.

someone mentioned Valor, they have one but not in original unused package

http://www.valortabletennis.com/#!product-page/c1hs9/0235ec1f-72e7-ea58-32c0-30300fa2e711

Edited by The Canadian Bacon - 12/18/2015 at 10:00pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic