Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

looping deep sidespin push

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
boaspirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boaspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: looping deep sidespin push
    Posted: 05/05/2015 at 11:02pm
hi haven't posted in a long time and just wondering if anybody ever experience a deep sidespin push after serving a pendulum serve and have difficulties looping it because of the unnatural skid. the guy i played against had no idea how to return my pendulum so he made up his own strokes(its like a backhand serve style, its inconsistent but when it does work i fail to loop it. its annoying really cus i dont want to push it back cus thats like really passive. anyone ever come across this and how do you deal with it?
butterfly Timo Boll spirit

FH TG3NEO

BH vega Pro
Sponsored Links

zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2015 at 11:29pm
Just don't serve sidespin.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2015 at 11:35pm
Just loop it and see what happens. Then make adjustments to your contact point. Usually, you will find it easiest to hit across the ball with a fade or hook loop.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
boaspirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boaspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2015 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

Just don't serve sidespin.

uh i dont think thats an option... not using my best serve just cus sometimes my opponent can return it with an improvise stroke, seems a bit timid and doesn't sound like something thats gonna help me improve. (actually i have tried this and its even worse because he'll do the same to my backspin or topspin serve,but only in certain range, using sidespin actually confuse him) 

is there a way to loop the return? ie 3rd ball attack?

FH TG3NEO

BH vega Pro
boaspirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boaspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2015 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Just loop it and see what happens. Then make adjustments to your contact point. Usually, you will find it easiest to hit across the ball with a fade or hook loop.

yes i actually do that all the time cus its part of my 3rd ball attack i loop all mid court to long return, but they end up netting. the sidespin push curves left to right (my view) so when i try to loop it sometimes fly to my left.

FH TG3NEO

BH vega Pro
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2015 at 11:52pm
So hit the left side of the ball. If you hit the right side and it goes onto the net, you can either lift more on the right side or go to the left side. Or you can hit across the back of the ball. Remember, all you have to do is figure pit how the ball is spinning, contact it at the right Pont and then loop it.
Cybershape Carbon
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2015 at 12:03am
You can also let more spin come off tne ball and take it later. Usually, I try my forehand and then my backhand. One of them usually works.
Cybershape Carbon
boaspirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boaspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2015 at 12:20am

You can also let more spin come off tne ball and take it later. Usually, I try my forehand and then my backhand. One of them usually works.
so what your saying is the spinny type loops are the one to use, since im using the power loop right now to try and finish points early but in this circumstance i need to just save the ball right?

FH TG3NEO

BH vega Pro
bluehorseshoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluehorseshoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2015 at 9:54am
I'm no expert, but I have had a similar issue returning left handed serves.  I would think of it like returning a serve with that spin.  Probably requires a combination of moving to your right a little more than you think you need to and laying your wrist back (which will help hit the left side of the ball as NL suggested).  Here's a Pingskills video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC0H6OLL_4M
or
http://www.pingskills.com/table-tennis/strokes-and-technique/forehand-flick/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Forehand%20Flick%20in%20HD&utm_content=Forehand%20Flick%20in%20HD+CID_10890700efdcd48434221e0e26f31fb9&utm_source=PingSkills%20Monthly%20Newsletter&utm_term=Click%20here%20to%20learn%20the%20forehand%20flick
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=68077&PID=823122#823122
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2015 at 10:01am
Originally posted by boaspirit boaspirit wrote:

so what your saying is the spinny type loops are the one to use, since im using the power loop right now to try and finish points early but in this circumstance i need to just save the ball right?

You are trying to power loop through the ball?  Without even knowing how to spin it on the table?

Interesting!

Seriously, you can powerloop through the ball and hope you can overpower the spin but unless the ball is high and the spin is not heavy enough, this is pretty unreliable.  I usually prefer to have an idea of what I am dealing with before trying to attack it aggressively.  Once I know how to return it, I then look for more aggressive options.

And realize, a proper loop never just "saves the ball".  Topspin is always a form of pressure.

Edited by NextLevel - 05/06/2015 at 10:17am
Cybershape Carbon
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2015 at 1:07pm
There's a thread on this within the last 6 months or so. It was about returning sidepin serves, so it's the same idea. Larry gave some really good advice. I can't find it though.
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2015 at 12:53am
This one?
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2015 at 1:52pm
That's it, thanksTongue
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2015 at 2:50pm
Don't drive it, lift/brush with a more than open bat face than a loop, to all intents and purposes a 'dummy loop, they will then get all their sidespin back, I do this all the time and you can do it to any sidespin serve if it is long.
The Older I get, The better I was.
boaspirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boaspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2015 at 3:50am
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

Don't drive it, lift/brush with a more than open bat face than a loop, to all intents and purposes a 'dummy loop, they will then get all their sidespin back, I do this all the time and you can do it to any sidespin serve if it is long.

if it was a long serve id have no problem looping it cus im facing the table, but you know how when you serve your standing sideway, its hard when the sidespin is coming right into me as i turn back

FH TG3NEO

BH vega Pro
boaspirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boaspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2015 at 3:55am

Originally posted by boaspirit boaspirit wrote:

You are trying to power loop through the ball?  Without even knowing how to spin it on the table?

Interesting!

Seriously, you can powerloop through the ball and hope you can overpower the spin but unless the ball is high and the spin is not heavy enough, this is pretty unreliable.  I usually prefer to have an idea of what I am dealing with before trying to attack it aggressively.  Once I know how to return it, I then look for more aggressive options.

And realize, a proper loop never just "saves the ball".  Topspin is always a form of pressure.
you are right but the problem is the 3rd ball attack, if its not an agressive loop it could cm back to haunt me, the spinny ones will work against weaker opposition but against higher level i could potentially get countered. i did took you advice and try a spinnier aproach but the ball was so slow it ended up putting me in a stretch out defensive position.

FH TG3NEO

BH vega Pro
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic