FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

BH Rubber Again!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Clarence247 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BH Rubber Again!
    Posted: 05/06/2015 at 9:31pm
For something similar to Calibra LT spin but without these following things I dislike:

1) long trajectory - ball always bounces towards end of the table, not allowing for enough variation, and of course risking to go long.
2) Only good when sponge is engaged - the topsheet itself does not get you very far - so light brush opening loops are not effective or spinny where as if the sponge is engaged it gives good spin. This forces me to play in 1 way, but I normally use both techniques depending on how I want to construct the point (for example slow spinny opening BH loop, then turn around to use FH no matter where block comes - this is not so effective with Calibra because it requires at least a medium speed loop)
3) Pushing was not great - yes, I was insensitive to spin which I really liked, but my pushes were attacked a lot easier than with Rakza 7 (which I currently use).

So I am looking for something similar - fast, good for driving / slapping high balls, good opening loop vs backspin, good power away from the table, but excellent control at the table, good short game, great at blocking (I win many points with aggressive well placed BH blocks). Not as High throw as Rakza 7 - which sends drives bouncing high and forces me to limit power not to overhit when spinning (due to high throw , not speed).

Considering:
Bryce Speed / FX
Hammond Pro Beta
Aurus / soft (tried and liked but maybe there is better)
Vega Japan
Acuda S2
Evolution EL-P (but this maybe has a throw which is too high - like Rakza 7)
Nittaku Fast Arc
Tenergy 25 (maybe? but I do not want to chose it just because it's trendy)

Bryce and Hammond interest me the most - but does anyone still play with them, or are they a bit obsolete without glue and when confronted to these new gen spinny tensors and tenergy.

Any other suggestions? And any opinions on which of the above might be best suited?

OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
Sponsored Links

GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2015 at 1:47am
So much for your short pip backhand huh?
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
Vlad0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vlad0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2015 at 1:58am

EL-P is not high throw

comes to mind also Sigma europe

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2015 at 2:09am
T25FX
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2015 at 5:40am
Originally posted by GeneralSpecific GeneralSpecific wrote:

SP on BH suited me well, and gives some good advantages, I feel it is easy to use but it limits the possibilities available. Especially vs power players of a high standard who can force you into rallies and push you back. I have the 802-40 on the reserve blade and enjoy playing with it against the right opposition, it gives strengths in return and I use it for certain matches. 

For the main setup I am looking for something kind of similar (fast, good flat hits etc... but that can allow me to use spin if needed (I mostly drive) during rallies away from the table.... a slightly higher throw than the 802-40 would be helpful too - but not as high as Rakza 7 etc... 

I had tried Calibra LT Spin for that reason - but I disliked it for the reasons I had stated. Generally I do not like a rubber which dictates your play - I prefer do it all rubbers but with an emphasis on speed, drive, good opening loop and push. 

OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2015 at 5:42am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

T25FX

Any comparison between T25FX and Bryce Speed FX / Hammond Pro Beta? 

T25 / FX (or maybe even T80?!) are rubbers I am considering.
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2015 at 6:41am
I suggest you Hammond PRO Beta. I'll also get back to it!
InfinityVPS   -   D80   -   D05
roger_rabbit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roger_rabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2015 at 6:57am
Hi,

I have already tried T25, T25FX and also T80.

T25 and T25FX are more for close-to-the-table play.

T80 is better for playing from half-distance, less spin sensitive and vey good for active-blocking.
Main: Boll ALC FL 93g, FH: H3 Prov 39d bl. BH: T80 1.9 red

Spare: Boll Spirit AN black Tag 90g, FH: H3N Prov. 40d bl. BH: T80 1.9 red

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2015 at 9:10am
Clarence247,

I will say again that you are trying to solve a technique issue with equipment because long trajectory usually means good for driving, but you want high throw and good for driving.  Usually, one just gets a partner, spend an hour at the table and figures out how to produce the shot with contact point and swing trajectory.

All that said, give MX-S a try if you can play with hard rubbers on your BH.  If not, try Rasant Grip or Rhyzm-P.  The latest ESN offerings tend to be like what you described.  Even Rakza X might work. 

MX-S is medium hard (Chinese)/hard sponge (Euro), medium throw, extremely spinny, great for blocking and pushing.  Rhyzm-P is soft, Rasant Grip is in the middle.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2015 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by Clarence247 Clarence247 wrote:

Originally posted by GeneralSpecific GeneralSpecific wrote:

SP on BH suited me well, and gives some good advantages, I feel it is easy to use but it limits the possibilities available. Especially vs power players of a high standard who can force you into rallies and push you back. I have the 802-40 on the reserve blade and enjoy playing with it against the right opposition, it gives strengths in return and I use it for certain matches. 

For the main setup I am looking for something kind of similar (fast, good flat hits etc... but that can allow me to use spin if needed (I mostly drive) during rallies away from the table.... a slightly higher throw than the 802-40 would be helpful too - but not as high as Rakza 7 etc... 

I had tried Calibra LT Spin for that reason - but I disliked it for the reasons I had stated. Generally I do not like a rubber which dictates your play - I prefer do it all rubbers but with an emphasis on speed, drive, good opening loop and push. 

Yes, at long distances pips can't attack. So what do high level short pip players do in this situation? You pretty much have 2 options; step around and use your forehand which requires good footwork and the second option is chopping. Anyone who decides to use pips of any length needs to learn how to chop from a distance to at least a minimal level.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2015 at 12:50pm

Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

T25FX

Any comparison between T25FX and Bryce Speed FX / Hammond Pro Beta? 

T25 / FX (or maybe even T80?!) are rubbers I am considering.

T25 FX will allow you to maintain your strongest suite (accurate blocking and short game) whilst you develop your BH loops...

T25FX Does play shorter and safer when driving the ball, though longer range spinning shots can be achieved if you get down and rip it...

T80 is a good powerful rubber, though is throws longer than T25FX....
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
bayttplayer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bayttplayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2015 at 1:24pm
I agree with NextLevel,  this's to solve a technique issue with equipment.
Calibra LT spin is not 'long trajector', maybe you can try use more wrist for spin.
Innerforce-ZLC FL + H3 + T80

comodoensis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comodoensis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2015 at 3:42pm
^^^

+1. I agree too, it's  a matter of technique. just have some more training sessions to get used to the rubber instead of wasting money on new rubber, unless you have use it intensively for 4-5 months and you cannot sort it out :)

same thing happened here. I was back from the college club, I only brought my old p700, with dhs 874 + calibra tour h attached. not my main set up, and I feel calibra still too soft for my forehand preference, so I decided to use it on backhand. same problem with the OP, this "long trajectory" (actually lets call it flat, that's the appropriate way to say it, I think LoL), but in 5 minutes I started to sort it out and make advantage of it (especially against some lazy-a@@ young LP push-blockers, dang, still young and powerful, but to lazy to use their forehand side) to give pressure to opponents, and my mates keep saying about me being a nastier twiddling trickster than usual, sometimes I loop with calibra on forehand, or maybe backhand, sometimes I whack with 874 on backhand, or maybe backhand, who knows, even I sometimes forgot LoL

that was not on purpose. it's because I don't have my main set up with me, it is undergoing some mods, including handle replacement :3

the main point is : if I can sort it out (and I believe anyone else can too), why can't you, mr OP ? Wink
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2015 at 12:11am
Originally posted by Stavros Stavros wrote:

This is in fact the one of the lot that interests me the most! I saw you've used it in the past - I cannot seem to find enough info on it - or at least the info I find is a bit confusing.

Could you make a comparison to Rakza 7 or other similar rubbers? And to Calibra LT Spin?

Or could you maybe give your impressions for:
Opening loop vs underspin, pushing with heavy underspin to make opponent's attack difficult, blocking (i know here it's excellent), driving, counterlooping, flexibility (lets you do what you want like a glued Sriver used to!), short game, flicks. 

I have a feeling it is somewhat similar to Calibra but with better control, better spin, and much more versatile. 

I like a rubber that lets you do what you want with it. 

Calibra naturally plays long (the balls land but always towards the end of the table) it also only allows for spin to be generated when digging into the sponge. Pushes were poor with Calibra and allowed my opponents to open vs my backspin much easier... 

Rakza Opens quite good, spins nicely, blocks well (apart from vs heavy spin), pushes very heavy, drives OK - however I feel it is too high throw for BH (ball always tends to arc) -, and that it requires you to spin the ball during rallies to maintain control... when switching between counterlooping and driving back I do not feel comfortable - whereas with Calibra this aspect is actually very good as you can give straight line drives as well as loops with a decent (but much lower) arc and swtich between them without worrying about incoming spin or speed. Rakza 7 is the best BH rubber I have found so far (stops my opponent attacking, and allows me to attack) - but it is not as versatile / comfortable to use as a glued Sriver for example.... 

It's not a matter of technique - I can play adequately with Calibra, and the Rakza 7 (not the Soft which I felt was too soft) - but I do not feel comfortable with them - 

OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
Tyler45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyler45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2015 at 1:32am
I've recently switched from Rakza 7 to battle 1 (non tacky) 40 degree version on backhand. Use on all wood all+ blade. Imo it does everything Rakza 7 does but a bit less. So easier serve returns, easier to drive, great short game. And I still open up and flick just as much, although not as spinny as Rakza still easy to do. The only thing I miss is a bit of power when driving/punching from a bit further back. I think the rubber is a bit too soft. But you can't have everything and it is quite light. I use the harder sponged battle 1 on fh and that's heavy so prefer using the lighter on bh. It's not a glamorous choice and pretty cheap, but I've just ordered two more. I find the battle 1 linear, forgiving and still spinny enough to cause problems up to a lot higher level than mine. It also seems pretty durable. I notice no difference after 3 weeks and 20 hrs. Topsheet is still flawless. I've also played extensively with rhyzm 425 on bh and that has much too much catapult for me: great during warm up but hopeless in match situation ;)
Vlad0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vlad0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2015 at 2:17am
Actually high throw on BH is a very good thing. You are messing too much criteria. If you like everything in Rakza but the throw, just correct the elbow position. Don't you think ?
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2015 at 4:48am

Originally posted by Stavros Stavros wrote:

This is in fact the one of the lot that interests me the most! I saw you've used it in the past - I cannot seem to find enough info on it - or at least the info I find is a bit confusing.

Could you make a comparison to Rakza 7 or other similar rubbers? And to Calibra LT Spin?

Or could you maybe give your impressions for:
Opening loop vs underspin, pushing with heavy underspin to make opponent's attack difficult, blocking (i know here it's excellent), driving, counterlooping, flexibility (lets you do what you want like a glued Sriver used to!), short game, flicks. 

I have a feeling it is somewhat similar to Calibra but with better control, better spin, and much more versatile. 

I like a rubber that lets you do what you want with it. 

Calibra naturally plays long (the balls land but always towards the end of the table) it also only allows for spin to be generated when digging into the sponge. Pushes were poor with Calibra and allowed my opponents to open vs my backspin much easier... 

Rakza Opens quite good, spins nicely, blocks well (apart from vs heavy spin), pushes very heavy, drives OK - however I feel it is too high throw for BH (ball always tends to arc) -, and that it requires you to spin the ball during rallies to maintain control... when switching between counterlooping and driving back I do not feel comfortable - whereas with Calibra this aspect is actually very good as you can give straight line drives as well as loops with a decent (but much lower) arc and swtich between them without worrying about incoming spin or speed. Rakza 7 is the best BH rubber I have found so far (stops my opponent attacking, and allows me to attack) - but it is not as versatile / comfortable to use as a glued Sriver for example.... 

It's not a matter of technique - I can play adequately with Calibra, and the Rakza 7 (not the Soft which I felt was too soft) - but I do not feel comfortable with them - 

HPB is like a glued Sriver EL. Not so good for lifting underspin (better than Calibra though) but it's very good on every other aspect. It's very durable too. 

Edited by Stavros - 05/08/2015 at 9:59am
InfinityVPS   -   D80   -   D05
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2015 at 8:56am

[/QUOTE]

HPB is like a glued Sriver EL. Not so very good for lifting underspin (better than Calibra though) but it's very good on every other aspect. It's very durable too. 
[/QUOTE]

This is very encouraging - I might have to forego some openings vs very heavy pushes, but if I get a rubber that feels natural to me in return it's worth it. I remember with Sriver EL - everything was amazing (ok maybe speed was average), but you could not just open safely against ANYTHING like Tenergy05FX for example. 

I will definitely try the Hammond Pro Beta - when the Rakza 7 wears out! (or maybe soon, if I lose my patience) 

OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic