Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slight step up from appelgren allplay?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SlowMover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlowMover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slight step up from appelgren allplay?
    Posted: 05/08/2015 at 10:53am
Based on recommendations on this forum when I started out a couple years ago, I picked up an appelgren allplay with 2.0 Mark V on both sides.  I've come a long way playing matches once a week and tournaments about 4 times a year, but I'm still developing strokes like backhand loop and still consider myself beginner-ish, so I'm not looking for a major change.

When practicing smashes, I feel tempted to "upgrade". I recently acquired a donic waldner senso v1 5-ply (limba ayous) all wood for a few weeks and it was more precise, but had less dwell and I ended up hitting more off the end of the table.   I missed the extra dwell and spin that I'm used to (so I sold that blade).  Smashes and hits were much better though.  With the allplay, I sometimes need to add wrist snap just to get sufficient power into the smash and feel like it just requires 100% effort.

I'm offensive minded and love to kill the ball, but would rather do it with power looping than hitting.  My goal is to become a two-winged looper, but I still need to be able to put away high balls with authority.  I love doing that against defensive players.

I've been looking at the yasaka extra (not YEO), primorac (not primorac carbon), and w-6 but I'm not sure if these will feel more like the waldner senso v1 or the appelgren allplay.

Should I try a heavier appelgren allplay?  With the exception of smashing, I do really like this blade.

Is this just a case of you can't have it all in one blade. 

If I threw some aurus on there would I notice a big difference in smash without taking away from loops close to the table?

These are a lot of questions but I just wanted to put it all out there since there is so much knowledge on this forum.

I'd like to hear any recommendations from blade, to rubber, to technique.  I just don't want my overall setup to be significantly faster yet because I'm not fast Smile

Sponsored Links

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2015 at 11:37am
smashes are where you DON'T need a faster blade.  You ought to be able to come flat through the ball with any setup.  it's only when you're brushing the ball that you might need more speed.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2015 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

smashes are where you DON'T need a faster blade.  You ought to be able to come flat through the ball with any setup.  it's only when you're brushing the ball that you might need more speed.
Cole, you are one of my preferred vendors... however, is flat hit not reflecting most directly the blade's speed?

Edited by JacekGM - 05/08/2015 at 2:15pm
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2015 at 12:28pm
Put your body into your smashes not just your arm and you will be fine.
You shouldnt need a faster blade to get points off of smashes. But then there is the psychological part. If you let anything bother you too much, soon enough you will see it affect your game.

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
SlowMover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlowMover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2015 at 12:37pm
I think I'm putting my body into it.  The ball does get going and my feet start coming off the floor when I smash hard like I've seen in Fan Zhendong clips.  It's just a lot of effort and seemed much easier with the other blade.
Aquaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2015 at 2:10pm
You may want to try the Stiga Allround Classic.  From my memory, I think the Appelgren Allplay is just a tad slower.
Blade: Stiga Allround Classic
FH: JOOLA Rhyzm 2.0
BH: JOOLA Rhyzm 425 2.0

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2015 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

Cole, you are one of my preferred vendors... however, is flat hit not reflecting most directly the blade's speed? I mean e.g. we have Schlager carbon, which is hardly a looping blade, right?

I'm not saying a faster blade won't make faster smashes.  I'm saying you should be able to put the ball away with any setup if you're hitting flat.  I've seen hardbat players with hocks that smash flat plenty hard to put the ball by anybody
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2015 at 2:16pm
Well, yes. I just abbreviated my post above.
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
igszoctan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igszoctan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2015 at 3:21pm
I'd advise you to stick to your allround blade and change your rubbers to for example Rasant Powergrip 2.1 on fh and JP3 1.8 or Rasant Beat 2.1 on bh. You are going to have the effect - power and spin - you need. You'll see yourself.

Edited by igszoctan - 06/03/2015 at 3:27pm
igszoctan
Fh: Rasant PowerGrip (2.1)
Blades: Appelgren Allplay
Bh: Rasant Powersponge(1.9)
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=66928&PID=807706󅌚
Strength and honour
h0n1g View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h0n1g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2015 at 8:02pm
You should take a very close look at the OSP Virtuoso. In my opinion its about 20-25% faster and you are only giving up a marginal amount of control. The finish/quality on these blades are the best i've ever seen on any blade out there.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2015 at 8:12pm
Keep the blade and change the rubber first
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2015 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

+1,
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

MindTrip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MindTrip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2015 at 7:20pm
I agree with these guys saying change the rubber before the racket. I changed blades a week ago, to try out the Allplay and the Grubbs while keeping the same offensive rubbers. There is very little change in speed during offensive strokes compared to my former offensive blade.
Apolonia ZLC
Donic Z3
Andro R42
chop4ever View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chop4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2015 at 8:04pm
take off 2 Mark-V and put ANY different rubber in!
There is no real "pro", "prov" or "NT" H3 in the market.
Falco is not a booster
SlowMover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlowMover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2017 at 2:40pm
I just found this old thread and wanted to let people know that I took this advice in case it will help anyone who finds themselves in the same situation.

I went from Mark V both sides to Aurus both sides.  It's a beautiful thing.  Smashes are faster and easier.  Backhand punches much faster.  Serves still spinny.  Pushes are fine.  Powerloops and banana flicks are faster.  Even receive is not hindered.

I can step away from the table and still keep more pressure on.

There are occasional miracle shots now where someone sends one in hot and I take an ugly reactive swipe at it and it blasts right by them.

I think Mark V was better for fine brushy loops and offers more control.

When I switched to Aurus, I won 1st place in a tournament soon after.

I am a low level player, but those are my results.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2017 at 8:14am
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

+1,

Thumbs UpThumbs Up
JoeB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2017 at 10:46am
I second the vote to get an OSP Virtuoso, then work with your rubber set-up.  There is a reason there are very few Virtuoso on the used blade market!  People love them.Wink
Joe B   BBC Hinoki/carbon
            BBC Hinoki

JoeB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2017 at 11:02am
Sorry, just noticed how old this thread is.  Still think you might look to test an OSP V....it has all the qualities you like in a blade and...handmade, top quality.
            BBC Hinoki

SlowMover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlowMover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2017 at 2:35pm
JoeB thanks.  I may still want to try out a blade like virtuoso.  

I've also always wanted to try barracuda, but I think I read that it does not do well with slower or softer blades.  

Would virtuoso pair well with barracuda?
JoeB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2017 at 2:48pm
I play Vega Europe on my forehand on virtuoso and it is wonderful for spinning the ball And has good control. I believe barracuda is a little firmer but I have not played it. Perhaps others could comment on that.
            BBC Hinoki

firetack View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firetack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2017 at 3:24pm
Hi slowmover,I tried Barracuda on Stiga allround and the throw angle was the highest of any blade rubber combination I have seen and this was difficult to manage coupled with the slow speed of the combination.The Appelgren is a bit thicker but I suspect the result may be similar.After I put 4 layers of Falco on the Barracuda the combination was good,the throw was medium high and the speed was a little faster than t05,I think Barracuda will be nice on the Appelgren with boosting using Falco long
Black Balsa 3.0 fh/tenergy 05 1.9 388d ox

TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2017 at 6:22pm
I think the Allround Classic is as dead as Appelgren Allplay if not more. 
Maybe Allround Evolution is the call.
IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2017 at 6:44pm
STIGA Energy Wood is also a very nice feeling moderate speed blade when on the topic of STIGAs
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic