Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Haifu Shark and Whale 3 Forum Testing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
42andbackpains View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42andbackpains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2015 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

I was referring to the shark 3 as the bh rubber not the whale 3.

42, you can pm alexli
Thanks Yogi.....thats why i couldnt find it on the site.
Mind is willing, but the back goes out too often :P
OSP Ultimate II 88 grams
FH Dianchi D w/ Secret Sauce
BH Butterfly T05 Red
USATT rating keeps going down
Sponsored Links

Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2015 at 11:43pm
I finally had a chance to test the Haifu Whale III (hard sponge) yesterday though the session was quite short so a full test report will come later.
First off all, I had no problems to adjust to the rubber coming from Nittaku Hurricane 3 Neo (plays like a H3N Prov; also tuned with 2 layers of Dymax Maximizer like the Whale 3) and all forehand strokes worked right off the bat. Here my initial impressions:

- Spin: H3N > W3 = T05
- Speed T05 > H3N > W3
- Control W3 > H3N > T05
- Feel H3N > T05 > W3

It seems that the H3N respondes more to the booster than the Whale 3 as the Whale was quite a bit slower. Spin on the Whale is quite decent (similar to T05) but not as good as H3N. The control and consistancy with Whale 3 was very nice and maybe even better than H3N in particular on counter looping but for some reason I did not like the feel as much as do with my H3N; there was a little bit of a dead feel to it but I need to play it more.
The Whale 3 is definetely a very high quality rubber with good spin and control on counter looping and also looping against block. Speed is not quite as high as H3N or T05 and requires more effort or full stroke.
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
qualizon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qualizon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2015 at 6:39pm
Hey Matt Pimple, after boosting your whale 3, did you get any metallic sound from the rubber when hitting the ball? 

I've done it with whale 2 and it has the nice metallic hitting sound, I'm still hesitate to boost mine though.

By the way, I'll be putting the shark 3 on a 5 ply hinoki blade next week, I hope it's not too late for the review :-)
N656 TG3 Nat Blue/H360
Feedback
For Sale
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2015 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by qualizon qualizon wrote:

Hey Matt Pimple, after boosting your whale 3, did you get any metallic sound from the rubber when hitting the ball?
I did not!
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
Johnny1996 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2015 at 9:38am
my new set up:
FH: Dolphin purple sponge
BH: Shark III purple sponge
qualizon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qualizon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2015 at 2:19am
I gotta say the whale 3 doesn't live up to the expectation of a tuned rubber, so I'm going to boost it tonight with two thin layer of Kailin oil on top of the original tuned glue layer, and then I'll put it on my best wooden blade N656 :-)

I'll give another report after that.
N656 TG3 Nat Blue/H360
Feedback
For Sale
42andbackpains View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42andbackpains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2015 at 5:35pm
Here is my short review. I have about 4 hours of play on my forehand side. At $70 this Haifu Whale 3 is there supposedly equivalent to H3 Neo Provincial blue sponge. First thing, Boosting is not needed on this sheet. And if you do boost, 1 layer is quite adequate. The Haifu Whale 3 is factory tuned and should not need boosting until the factory tuning wears off. Right off the bat i felt the Whale is probably 10 to 15 percent heavier than H3 neo, so this is a no no for people looking for a lighter Chinese rubber. When looping, I find the Haifu more linear when compared to H3 Neo. I would recommend this a forehand oriented Chinese rubber but with a little euro tensor feel thrown into the mix. The Haifu Whale 3 is not as grippy when compared to H3 neo, so your initial shots may shoot off the table if your coming from H3. A small technique adjustment is needed, but i would say you will find your technique adjusting quickly. The Whale 3 sheet i got was in the hard range with the big H indicator on the back of the rubber. The purplish sponge is little softer than the H3 neo blue 39 or orange 39 sponge. But strangely when looping or hitting, the ball does not sink into the sponge due to the topsheets harder qualities. I find myself working just a tad harder to create spin and I would also say the speed is equivalent or a tad faster than H3 neo. Since i am so used to using H3 neo, i may have a bias towards the Whale 3 and I find it less grippy and has less spin when compared to a well boosted H3 neo. One advantage is that you dont need to boost out of the box and play right away. I would say this rubber is in the $50 U.S dollar range, but not worth $70 dollars it is retailing for. Good rubber but missed the market it was shooting for. 2 cents added
Mind is willing, but the back goes out too often :P
OSP Ultimate II 88 grams
FH Dianchi D w/ Secret Sauce
BH Butterfly T05 Red
USATT rating keeps going down
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic