FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Does FX-P Bottom Out?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does FX-P Bottom Out?
    Posted: 05/21/2015 at 3:22pm
I really don't like many of the soft sponge versions of rubber families because they seem to bottom out... Does FX-P do this?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links

cmugica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmugica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2015 at 3:31pm
No.
SDC custom st
FH G-1 max
BH Evolution FX-S 1.9
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2015 at 4:40pm
FX-P doesn't play as soft as most FX rubbers do.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2015 at 12:09pm
Another rubber i would like to add to your list ^ is whale 3 and shark 3 .
Even though mine are marked S like superman, not once have they bottomed out on my vega pro.

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2015 at 4:14pm
No it does not bottom out (the one thing I can do is hit hard). However, for me, the control in any kind of softer shots was not there.
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2015 at 11:42am
Bottoming out is not about hitting hard, it is about looping hard.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2015 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Honestly, I had no idea about this. It still feels counter-intuitive... Pardon my ignorance. 
Yet people who know about things say this rubber does not bottom out in spite of it being on the softer side of the spectrum.

Edited by JacekGM - 05/23/2015 at 12:02pm
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2015 at 12:14pm
Other than Tenergy 05 / 80, I have yet to see a rubber of hardness <= 45 deg that does not bottom out. Tenergy does as well but it takes more effort than you would normally exert in a match.

However, that does not mean that you cannot / shouldn't use softer rubbers - Kai Zhang, for instance, is 2600 & known for his fantastic BH (he uses T05 FX).

My current take on the ESN sponges is that they are fantastic at 47 deg and up. Below that, they are still behind Tenergy technology.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2015 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

Other than Tenergy 05 / 80, I have yet to see a rubber of hardness <= 45 deg that does not bottom out. Tenergy does as well but it takes more effort than you would normally exert in a match.

However, that does not mean that you cannot / shouldn't use softer rubbers - Kai Zhang, for instance, is 2600 & known for his fantastic BH (he uses T05 FX).

My current take on the ESN sponges is that they are fantastic at 47 deg and up. Below that, they are still behind Tenergy technology.

Do you mean Tenergy regular or FX?

Pros boost so there is a different dynamic at work there.
Cybershape Carbon
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2015 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Honestly, I had no idea about this. It still feels counter-intuitive... Pardon my ignorance. 
Yet people who know about things say this rubber does not bottom out in spite of it being on the softer side of the spectrum.

The idea is supposed be that when you drive the ball hard, if you use a spin oriented stroke, you want the ball to have enough topspin to still have margin.  But if your stroke is so hard that it gets to the wood of the blade, your stroke can produce a knuckle ball.  Therefore, if you are flat hitting or smashing, bottoming out won't matter much.  But if you are spinning hard with a thick contact or loop driving/killing the ball, and the ball tends to go long rather than dip with topspin, if your technique works with one kind of rubber but misses and consistently goes long with another kind of rubber, you could argue that the rubber is bottoming out and giving you less spin than you are used to on your drive shots.    Play with an inverted rubber with thinner soft/Euro sponge and try to loop hard or serve long with it and keep the spin.  You will see bottoming out in its full glory.

There are many ramifications, but bottoming out mostly applies to people with good racket head speed on spin shots who don't want to have to spin with thin contact.    With thicker sponge, you lose linear control (on flat blocks, smashes etc), but you gain spin control, and if you are a counter/drive looper, that is what you care about.

Edited by NextLevel - 05/23/2015 at 12:41pm
Cybershape Carbon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic