Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DHS Neo Hurricane 3 #60 sponge

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MLfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MLfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DHS Neo Hurricane 3 #60 sponge
    Posted: 06/30/2015 at 10:58am
A short review on this amazing backhand rubber for those who might wanna buy it...
Bear in mind that I've always used a T64 for my backhand, but I've decided to try this rubber that Ma Long now currently uses, and after 2 weeks, here are my thoughts...

First of all, my rubber is at 37 degree hardness. The sponge is also not the regular hurricane sponge, but a tensor-like sponge. Due to the tacky topsheet, however, the speed of this of this rubber is obviously not as fast as T64. 

Counter-hitting: the rubber is not as bouncy as T64, so I had to actively hit the ball a bit more. Also, since the topsheet is tacky, you must actually be careful of your stroke. Otherwise the ball is not going to go where you want it to go. This is probably a common thing people notice when they switch from non-tacky rubbers to tacky. 

Short-looping? Counterlooping? Not sure of the term for stroke that you play like a loop, but over-the-table: Harder to borrow power/spin when compared to T64, and you need better control, but you can generate more spin than T64, and the spin arcs DOWNWARD when it hits the opponent's table.

Regular looping about 1 to 1.5 meters away from table: Wowwwww. So amazing. So much spin can be generated, and the best part is, the spin curves the ball DOWNWARD even more than over-the-table looping. All the people I regularly train with suddenly have problems blocking the ball lol. But technique change is required. More brushing is needed, and unlike using T64, the spin from brushing can accelerate the ball through the air. I'm addicted to backhand looping at the moment lol. The main thing about looping with this rubber is that you can feel the ball really well, much better than T64 in my opinion.

Blocking: At first, it's a bit harder to block with this rubber due to tacky topsheet, but after 2 weeks, I can block fine with this rubber. One thing that might deserve to be mentioned is that when somebody makes a smash at me, or powerloop, I can block it more easily if I don't miss the ball, simply because the rubber is not as bouncy as a T64. For regular blocking, though, T64 is better due to less sensitivity to opponent's spin. Also, T64 has higher blocking speed and a flatter arc. 

Powerlooping backspin: Surprisingly not too much technique alteration! I know some people do not engage the sponge as much when they play, but "eating" the ball with the sponge has always been how I play and with Hurricane #60, powerlooping backspin is so easy. In fact, I would say that it's even easier for me to powerloop backspin when compared to using T64, due to the tacky topsheet. It's also easier to make two different loops: the power loop and the slower low-arc loop.

Banana flick: Couldn't notice much difference again, but I think T64 is a little better here, as the tacky topsheet is more sensitive to incoming spin. T64 can make more speed with banana flick, but #60 hurricane can make more spin.

Lobbing: definitely not easy. Much harder to do than T64. 

TL;DR: It's a rubber that can create monster spin without sacrificing too much speed. In fact, I think the speed is enough lol. It's a different rubber when compared to T64. With T64, you can often "actively block" or "punch" the ball to score points, but it's hard to do with this rubber. You have to actively loop more, but you won't regret it because the ball feeling you get from looping is so good :)
Sponsored Links

proSpin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proSpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2015 at 11:25am
.... how can you do a comparison of H3 vs t64. Dafuq. The differences are too vast. 
Chicobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2015 at 12:10pm
Thank you for the review
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2015 at 1:44pm
What is DHS Neo Hurricane 3 #60? There is only DHS Skyline 3-60 and Hurricane 3-50, at least according to http://www.dhs-tt.com/en/rubbers
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2015 at 3:29pm
H3-60 is the H3 topsheet on the tinarc sponge.  Not available to the public....yet.  A few sheets have been floating around for big prices, or if you know someone who knows someone etc.
MLfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MLfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2015 at 9:45pm
Haha, I was just making this review for those who, like me, used T64, and might want to try H3 #60. Not that much adjustment is required actually. Not as much as I thought lol. 

crackfst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crackfst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2015 at 10:00pm
since the H3-50 and the TG3-60 are already commercially available it will only be a matter of time till the H3-60 and TG3-50 will be too Im guessing:)
Darker Speed 90 Jpen
Tenergy 64
chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2015 at 11:01pm
Nice review!  Where did you get the sheet?
MLfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MLfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2015 at 12:03am
I got the sheet in China haha. It's actually not that hard to get in China, which is where I live at the moment. Not sure where you can get it elsewhere though. 

One more thing I forgot to add in my brief review of the rubber is pushing? (the service receive you do when somebody serves a short backspin ball to you). You can get much more spin and control with this receive using Hurricane #60 when compared to T64, simply because of tacky topsheet and less bouncy sponge. But it's also more difficult to do due to high spin-sensitivity, so it requires you to read the opponent's spin well. Wink
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2015 at 4:29am
Originally posted by MLfan MLfan wrote:

I got the sheet in China haha. It's actually not that hard to get in China, which is where I live at the moment. Not sure where you can get it elsewhere though. 

Did it come in any "official" packaging, or just a plastic wrap?
MLfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MLfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2015 at 11:14am
You shrewd shrewd person! 

It came without the official packaging!

qualizon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qualizon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2015 at 5:16pm
no official packaging, the best I've seen is with a zip lock bag that is  sized for the rubber.
Here is mine: 

N656 TG3 Nat Blue/H360
Feedback
For Sale
qualizon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qualizon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2015 at 5:20pm
I've used T80FX and T64 on my backhand in the past, and I think I'm going to stick with this H3-60 sponge for backhand from now on.

I like it with one layer of kailin, and it's very spinny. Very easy to adopt and with a lot of feeling.
N656 TG3 Nat Blue/H360
Feedback
For Sale
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2015 at 5:23pm
Yeah, I'm looking forward to this one appearing via official channels.  Skyline 3-60 was a big shock to me and didn't play at all like I anticipated.  I'm massively curious about H3-60.

Thanks for the pics!
42andbackpains View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42andbackpains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2015 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by qualizon qualizon wrote:

I've used T80FX and T64 on my backhand in the past, and I think I'm going to stick with this H3-60 sponge for backhand from now on.

I like it with one layer of kailin, and it's very spinny. Very easy to adopt and with a lot of feeling.

Qualizon, how did you get the Kailin oil.  I would like to order some. Inquiring minds want to know...Wink
Mind is willing, but the back goes out too often :P
OSP Ultimate II 88 grams
FH Dianchi D w/ Secret Sauce
BH Butterfly T05 Red
USATT rating keeps going down
MLfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MLfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2015 at 6:25pm
Great pics Qualizon. I also boost it with Kai lin hehe 
qualizon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qualizon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2015 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by 42andbackpains 42andbackpains wrote:

Qualizon, how did you get the Kailin oil.  I would like to order some. Inquiring minds want to know...Wink

I bought it in China during a trip and brought it back with me.
N656 TG3 Nat Blue/H360
Feedback
For Sale
42andbackpains View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42andbackpains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2015 at 1:13pm

Originally posted by 42andbackpains 42andbackpains wrote:

I bought it in China during a trip and brought it back with me.

Qualizon, thanks for the reply. Got my hopes up high. Still trying to attain the elusive Kailin oil booster. Thanks
Mind is willing, but the back goes out too often :P
OSP Ultimate II 88 grams
FH Dianchi D w/ Secret Sauce
BH Butterfly T05 Red
USATT rating keeps going down
MLfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MLfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2015 at 2:55am
A note here on Kai Lin booster: don't use too much, or the sponge won't have any strength. 
Alwin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2015 at 7:51am
wow thanks for the review MLfan! I've been keeping an eye on these DHS hybrids because I'm tempted to get one if I to china again at the end of this year.

Have you used any of the others like TG3-60, H3-50 or tin arc/gold arc range? If so, how would you compare them for backhand?
T05H | HL5 | TG3-60
MLfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MLfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2015 at 8:46am
I'm sorry, but I haven't used any of those :(
I think it's generally accepted in China that H3-50 is...not very good. I don't know anybody who uses it here in China. I think girls use DHS for backhand more than guys do... I'm actually the only one here who doesn't use T05 for backhand hahaha
tack_and_grip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tack_and_grip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2015 at 1:32am

I think girls use DHS for backhand more than guys do... 

I wonder how they compensate for the generally slower speed?  Faster blade?  Or boosting?  Or simply better technique?

Edited by tack_and_grip - 07/07/2015 at 1:37am
crackfst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crackfst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2015 at 1:55am
Originally posted by tack_and_grip tack_and_grip wrote:

I think girls use DHS for backhand more than guys do... 

I wonder how they compensate for the generally slower speed?  Faster blade?  Or boosting?  Or simply better technique?

usually girls play closer to the table
Darker Speed 90 Jpen
Tenergy 64
Epid3xia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epid3xia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2016 at 7:48am
This is a pretty old post. I was interested in finding out more about the H3 with #60 sponge and found this review. Since it is an old thread I thought that the rubber is out by now but I couldn't find much on the internet. Is it commercialy available somewhere?
Single Ply Hinoki Club Member
Darker Speed 90 9mm Shakehand 86g
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2016 at 7:50am
Originally posted by Epid3xia Epid3xia wrote:

This is a pretty old post. I was interested in finding out more about the H3 with #60 sponge and found this review. Since it is an old thread I thought that the rubber is out by now but I couldn't find much on the internet. Is it commercialy available somewhere?

No.  Still only via risky back-channels.  No commercial version yet.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic