Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Edge Tape Wording Direction

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which direction do you place your edge tape?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [60.00%]
4 [40.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Chicobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Edge Tape Wording Direction
    Posted: 07/04/2015 at 12:07am
Not sure if this is the right section, or even if yall pay attention to this:

For edge tape with wording, do you prefer to: be able to read it when looking down at your paddle (bottom of words facing forehand) or inverted (bottom of words facing backhand)?

For me, I like to be able to read my brand :))
Sponsored Links

amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2015 at 12:38am
A truly existential question. To make it easier for us, many brands have the wording go both ways Smile
Chicobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2015 at 12:40am
Originally posted by amateur amateur wrote:

A truly existential question. To make it easier for us, many brands have the wording go both ways Smile

This is the next level of "black or red for fh" question!
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2015 at 12:46am
Da Baobei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da Baobei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2015 at 1:17am
Originally posted by Chicobo Chicobo wrote:

Well, black or red on fh actually makes a difference with some rubbers but this is just...

I guess we have to further investigate and look how the pros who use edgetape tape their blades and maybe we can see a pattern.

Edited by Da Baobei - 07/04/2015 at 1:18am
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2015 at 1:24am
In my opinion - I try to focus on the ball and not on the racket. Try to read the writing on the ball - that's more important than the writing on the tape. 
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2015 at 1:59am
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

In my opinion - I try to focus on the ball and not on the racket. Try to read the writing on the ball - that's more important than the writing on the tape. 

Hug Thumbs Up  LOL
Chicobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2015 at 2:23am
Originally posted by Da Baobei Da Baobei wrote:

Originally posted by Chicobo Chicobo wrote:

Well, black or red on fh actually makes a difference with some rubbers but this is just...

I guess we have to further investigate and look how the pros who use edgetape tape their blades and maybe we can see a pattern.

To that, ZJK uses it facing away from him. So I must be doing it wrong. Cry

http://www.ftmr.info/y/t-t/equipment/ZJK-blade1.gif

What other pros use edge tape?
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2015 at 3:23am
I have the same edge tape as ZJK on my Viscaria and that Butterfly edge tape has wording facing both ways so it does not tell.  

No right or wrong way of doing it but for me I would put it facing away from me. That is if I put the racket on the table with FH facing up the wording is correctly read. I won't look at my edge tape when playing but only when put on the table for photos. Tongue
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2015 at 2:29pm
Which way the writing of the edge tape on my Master Craftsman rackets reads is something I have heretofore never really considered.  I have two of them.  I presently use Dr. Neubauer 6.mm. edge tape because it has a thin rubber backing underneath to protect my vintage Ian Harrison style hardbats from dings.  It works pretty well.  No dings on one racket; just an itsy-bitsy little inconsequential ding in the edge tape of the other.

If I hold one of my rackets right-handed the "Dr. Neubauer" is upside down.  On the other it is right side up.

If I hold them lefty, the way I presently play, "Dr. Neubauer" reads just the opposite.  This does not seem to affect their playability to any significant extent.

Edited by berndt_mann - 07/04/2015 at 2:30pm
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2015 at 9:30am
That answer is obvious.  If you use a Chinese loop you use the tape in one direction.  If you use a Euroloop, you do it in the other direction, unless of course you use short pips on one side, in which case it is the opposite.  Everybody knows that. 

The edgetape on my blade has no wording.  This is more advanced. 
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2015 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

That answer is obvious. 

The edgetape on my blade has no wording.  This is more advanced. 

Pah...who needs edgetape!
The Older I get, The better I was.
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2015 at 3:41pm
This forum has gone to the dogs. First, a question and subsequent debate on shorts length, now direction of edgetape ... I long for the good old days when Tenergy-vs-the rest of them topics were all the rage. 
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2015 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by vvk1 vvk1 wrote:

This forum has gone to the dogs. First, a question and subsequent debate on shorts length, now direction of edgetape ... I long for the good old days when Tenergy-vs-the rest of them topics were all the rage. 

Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Knuckle Ball View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knuckle Ball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2015 at 9:44am
I am clearly out of my league, totally unqualified to comment on such lofty subject. I humbly await further comments from the gifted gurus of TT. I can only bask in the warmth of your collective TT wisdom. LOL

Edited by Knuckle Ball - 07/07/2015 at 9:45am
Blade: Rosewood NCT V
FH: Dignics 05 Black
BH: Moristo SP Red
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2015 at 1:25pm
I use spike tape comes in various colors and sizes without lettering.   cost effective.

http://www.stagespot.com/tape/spike.html?gclid=CNuwr-TEycYCFciFfgodvPQJ1A
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2015 at 6:29pm
I have a box with thousands of edge tapes with my name on them , I can honestly say I have never looked what way around they are when I put them on blades, so far 60% of all people favour "away from yourself"  
 all too exciting living the life on the edge
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2015 at 7:04am
Clearly if you place your bat on the table with the forehand side uppermost, then the writing should be the right way up. Anything else is just wrong. While we are on the subject, red for FH too IMO otherwise I might as well start with a 5 point handicap.
zhan2133 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zhan2133 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2015 at 10:09am

I guess we have to further investigate and look how the pros who use edgetape tape their blades and maybe we can see a pattern. [/QUOTE]
From my understanding, most pro only put edge tape on the side, not the tip (hence "edge tape/side tape"LOL).  I am guessing they are trying to reduce weight (by 1g) while protecting their rackets when pushing since they hit the table a lot.Tongue

Edited by zhan2133 - 07/11/2015 at 10:09am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic