Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Donic Acuda P-1 review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Hans Regenkurt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Donic Acuda P-1 review
    Posted: 07/09/2015 at 4:32pm
A team mate has bought a black max..... I got to try it tonight and it was a total disaster. Donic take their customers for fools.....

Basically it is Donic's Airoc M implementation. I think they bought the licence for a few thousand sheets and they want to position it on the market as the most recent, most powerful and spinny rubber out there.

The problems are: it is slow. Slower than an S1, M1 or a JP01. Anyone who uses these rubbers should forget about P1. Maybe even slower than S2. I think it is somewhere in the speed range of S3 / M3. While you can hit winners with any of the previously mentioned rubbers, it is not possible with P1.

Spin is good but will not give you the edge over your opponent in itself, the rubber is so slow.

The only positive thing about is is its feel and predictable, helpful behaviour. If ESN could produce a rubber with the same feel but 40% faster, all the pros would be playing with that, not T05. Until then, P-1 will go down as a mediocre attempt at fooling customers.

Edited by Hans Regenkurt - 07/09/2015 at 4:37pm
Sponsored Links

assam View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2015 at 5:12pm
are you talking about the acuda blue? I tested it and it was a bit slower than Tibhar EVO MX-P, softer, with higher trow, more elastic, a little bit less spin but easier to play 
Chopper88 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2015 at 5:51pm
Not sure whats your level but I found the Acuda Blue P1 and 2 play great , that also might be that I'm not as good as player as you.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2015 at 5:59pm
Hans, did you boost it as usual?
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2015 at 12:51am
I am around 2000 in level though the place where I play is totally different to the US. I do third ball attack and in general, I do not play a soft game.

As to boosting it, I did not because it is not mine. Actually, I have stopped boosting temporarily for the summer.

Chopper, sure, both the Acuda P1 and 2 play great as long as you push and block and try to finish the point by outwitting your opponent. When it comes to overpowering them, that is where you have a lot of better options.
clannewton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clannewton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2015 at 1:09pm
I am having a different experience with it. I am using the P1max on the forehand and not finding it much slower than the JP01turbo or the M-1turbo.  Maybe the type of blade being used has an impact on the effectiveness of the rubber.
Nittaku Violin FL-L
FH Donic Bluefire m-1 max
BH Donic Bluefire m-2 max
Cocoa Beach TTC, Florida
ahsq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahsq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2015 at 3:35pm
this review is the reason why venturing out to new rubbers are a bad idea. 

Once you find something you love, stick to it. 
FS:
Xiom Vega Pro ST 85 grams $80 shipped
Donic Waldner Senso Carbo JO shaped ST $40 shipped

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2015 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by ahsq ahsq wrote:

this review is the reason why venturing out to new rubbers are a bad idea. 

Once you find something you love, stick to it. 

If we didn't try something different from time to time, the world would be a boring place, no?
ahsq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahsq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2015 at 4:45pm
yea from time to time, not every new rubber. 
FS:
Xiom Vega Pro ST 85 grams $80 shipped
Donic Waldner Senso Carbo JO shaped ST $40 shipped

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2015 at 3:10am
Originally posted by ahsq ahsq wrote:

yea from time to time, not every new rubber. 

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.  Try new stuff until you find a bad rubber, and then trying new stuff is a bad idea.
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2015 at 3:36am
Another reviewer Petermoo just gave his high praise to it. He think P1 is more linear and controllable with same or faster speed, also spinier than S1 so I am not ruling it out just yet.

Edited by TurboZ - 07/11/2015 at 3:39am
kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2015 at 10:52am
if it's faster than or similar in speed to h3, you can hit winners with it with the right technique and implementation ;)

i might try this for fh bc blue sponge is cool and BD was a no-go.

Viscaria
H3N/T05
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65345&KW=&title=feedback-kurokami
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2015 at 3:28pm
It still seems slow, my friend is applying some booster on it. I do not think it will increase the speed, only the feel and maybe the spin. More on this the second half of next week.
Chopper88 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2015 at 11:44pm
The P2 is soft I think we can agree with that but being a soft rubber it's doesn't bottom out like a boosted rubber , P1 is nice I would say something in between T05 and T05 FX , great speed, good spin without losing feel touch and control, like clannewton said the blade has a lot to with the way a rubber plays.
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2015 at 3:22am
Is the arc of acuda blue low like the old acuda? Remember that acuda has always been much lower throw than Bluefire M or Jp. For this reason, on bh, it is the choice of block-oriented players.
pg5x - mxd fh & bh - 2015 video
assam View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2015 at 7:40am
It is higher (P1) than MX-P
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2015 at 8:12am
Originally posted by assam assam wrote:

It is higher (P1) than MX-P

Thanks, but to be sure, do you confirm that s1 throws much lower than mxp?
pg5x - mxd fh & bh - 2015 video
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2015 at 8:14am
Different strokes for different folks. Hard to imagine P1 throwing that high given the comparisons to S1.
Cybershape Carbon
assam View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2015 at 11:24am
I've never tried the S1. But last year I play with MX-P in FH and BH in a Butterfly Liu Shiwen. Last month I've tried A OSP V+ with MX-P and P1, and P1 has a higher throw
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2015 at 3:08pm
We have tried it again tonight after the boosting. It is still the same, only a little softer. Nothing special unfortunately.
Wolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2015 at 3:08pm
Hey,
I disagree that this is a bad rubber from DONIC. Much depends on what timber you put it? I tried on a few blades and here are my impressions.
Primorac Carbon + P1 = max just a quick, little emotion, a lot of answers the incoming rotation
Tamco Gergely + P1 max = slow, it completely dampened sentiment wood
Butterfly Moonbeam P1 + 2.0 mm = very good and a lot of emotion and gorgeous optimum speed control. Unfortunately, the wood has been my :(
Joola Rossi Emotion + P1 = 2.0 mm liked on the back. Excellent block chop excellent, excellent game at the table. Away from the table it's losing accuracy in the block. It reminded me Acude S3 2.0 mm.

Reference my friends:
Petr Korbel Off P1 + 2.0 = average rotation, aggressive little
Boll ALC + P1 max = great combination striker. Above-average control in every stroke, the joy of every ball. It reported to me my friend. I'll give him some time to cool down and then re-authenticate this information. His words, this is the best combination for the past five years :)
W.
Donic Crest Off
FH-Donic Acuda S2 Max
BH-Tibhar ELP 1.9

Donic Crest AR+
FH-Joola Maxxxp 2.0
BH-Joola Rhyzm Tech 2.0

Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2015 at 9:54am
It is strange that Donic has produced so many new rubbers but Barracuda is still the most popular! 
Blade: Stiga Infinity
FH: Dignics 80
BH: Dignics 05
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2015 at 10:19am
Originally posted by Stavros Stavros wrote:

It is strange that Donic has produced so many new rubbers but Barracuda is still the most popular! 

Ah, I haven't used Baracuda in a long time...  Brings back good memories...
Cybershape Carbon
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2015 at 10:28am
New rubbers are very bad as all.
That's why I am waiting review of the new Tibhar Quantum and Delta rubbers before to spent $$$ ...
Someone posted something about AirocM, but I still think that Calibra LT Spin's sponge + Airoc M's topsheet will be the greatest rubber.
Up to this moment I haven't heard a single good word for a rubber designed for the new Poly balls.
Wolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2015 at 6:46am
Just another attempt to help lighten our wallets Ermm
Donic Crest Off
FH-Donic Acuda S2 Max
BH-Tibhar ELP 1.9

Donic Crest AR+
FH-Joola Maxxxp 2.0
BH-Joola Rhyzm Tech 2.0

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2015 at 7:11am
Originally posted by kolevtt kolevtt wrote:

Up to this moment I haven't heard a single good word for a rubber designed for the new Poly balls.

You're not paying attention then.  Lots of good reports on rubbers designed for plastic all over the place.  Omega V Asia is great, for example, and now you have heard at least one good word.  You're welcome.

Of course OVA plays really well with celluloid too, so there's always the (very likely) possibility that "made for plastic" is just marketing.  I prefer a softer topsheet with plastic myself, so finding a rubber which suits me is important, and I don't care if it says "made for plastic" on the cover.  But if the trend is for "made for plastic" rubbers to have softer topsheets then I can see how that makes some sort of sense.  YMMV of course.
Tommy16 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tommy16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2015 at 2:39pm
I have just tested a new Acuda p1 blue rubber on my fh with my Michael Maze blade and I have to say that I have a bit mixed feels about it. It´s not a rocket but with correct stroke it is fast enough. It´s spinny but not over sensitive to incoming spin. Here are my observations.

Serving:
Ap1 has very grippy and softish top sheet. Grippynes with hard sponge makes this rubber really good for serving. It´s easy to get lots of spin to my short serves and fast serves are controllable. Serving is really one of the areas where Ap1 really shines!

Opening from underspin:
Ap1 has a lowish throw so I had to excecute my opening loops from heavy underspin with thicker contact than my JP02 which has been my fh rubber for last year. If I wanted brush loop the ball I had to lift the ball really heavily and when I did that the ball was loaded whit spin. However brush looping with this rubber requires really good contact to ball and it was not easy to execute if I was out of position. 

Loop and drives:
Ap1 has a harder sponge than my normal rubber and I felt that I needed to loop and drive with thicker contact than with JP02. Loops and drives were very accurate with low arc. Looping from middle distance required quite heavy racket movement upwards due to low throw of Ap1.

Counter looping:
Counterlooping if the bounce is the best thing of Ap1. If I was in good possition for counter attack of the bounce my counter loops were really secured and precise. Out of possition I still felt quite confortable and was able to get most of the counterloops to the table.  When I stepped couple meters of the table situation became very different. I wasn´t able to get good contact to the ball and the rubber felt really unstable. I think that might be becouse I haven´t use a rubber this hard before. But anyway this was a major thing that made me stick to JP02 for next season. 

Blocking:
Ap1 is not really sensitive to incoming spin in blocking so I think that blocking with Ap1 was really easy.

Service return and short game:
As I mentioned earlier Ap1 has really grippy top sheet and this really shows in service returns. If I read the spin correctly I was able to execute an excelent return. If I missread the spin... well the outcome wasn´t really that good;).  In short game Ap1 worked great for me. It was easy to keep the ball short and equally easy to put lots of spin to the ball. I don´t really do flipping on my fh so no comment in this section.

Conclusion:
If you like to play agressive topspin game near to table and your footwork keeps you in good possition most of the time Acuda p1 could be THE rubber for you.  It´s not the easiest rubber to play with but it rewards your good shots.   
What is the point of playing safe shots when you can miss with style

My feedback: http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=67171&KW=&PID=811763&title=tommy16-feedback#811763
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2015 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Originally posted by kolevtt kolevtt wrote:

You're not paying attention then.  Lots of good reports on rubbers designed for plastic all over the place.  Omega V Asia is great, for example, and now you have heard at least one good word.  You're welcome.

Of course OVA plays really well with celluloid too, so there's always the (very likely) possibility that "made for plastic" is just marketing.  I prefer a softer topsheet with plastic myself, so finding a rubber which suits me is important, and I don't care if it says "made for plastic" on the cover.  But if the trend is for "made for plastic" rubbers to have softer topsheets then I can see how that makes some sort of sense.  YMMV of course.

Thanks Andy!

Two months ago I tested Omega 4 Europe and I found these rubbers are definitely not so good.
I tested them on different blades, of course. They are spiny, soft, not so heavy, may be little, but these rubbers have not enough control in blocking, receiving, not so much power in loops, especially VS backspin. Also these rubbers are producing very heavy spin visually, but the pressure on the opponents is not the same like I am doing it with another rubbers like tenergy, calibra spin, aurus soft, genius, airoc M and so on.
Omega 5 Europe I tested just today and not so long time as the paddle was not mine.
I think these are little more better at first look, but I will not buy them soon.

The signature "Made for the new balls" is very important.
Actually I found just 1 rubber with great topsheet for the new balls from the tested new specially designed rubbers - Airoc M. For a pity that rubber has very hard and...how to say...not appropriate sponge. But the topsheet is very good. Too pity that topsheet is making this rubber not so acceptable choice on the market for now and second - the topsheet lost its shine after 7-8 training sessions.

That's why I have said that up to this moment I haven't seen or heard or tested good rubber (good spin, speed and durability) specially designed for the new poly balls.

By the way, still nothing for the Quantum and Delta by Tibhar.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2015 at 12:49am
Tommy has made some brilliant points and worded the week points of the Acuda P1. In the meantime we have tuned our sheet heavily with Falco Long and we are testing it this week. I hope the treatment will solve the problem of contacting the ball and will make it easier to get the sheet to really grab the ball.

On a side note, I a sheet of Quantum V is on the way to me. I am not getting my hopes up too high but either the Acuda P or the Quantum will be my rubber for  next season.

Edited by Hans Regenkurt - 07/28/2015 at 12:49am
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2015 at 10:42am
Here is the review on the tuned P1: it is still useless when playing with the celluloid ball. However, it was a nice surprise with the Joola 40+. It was very fast on loops and very stable. Sometimes the topsheet was too mushy to reloop fast balls but overall it was a nice experience.

The only problem is that I had to use tuner to get the rubber to work well. The good news is that it was very fast on my Donic Appelgren Allplay. I do not see a reason for having to use composite blades with it if tuned.

So my final thoughts on the P1: it seems to be optimised for the plastic ball exclusively. When using celluloid, the ball just will not bring out the best of the rubber. Out of the package it is a rather slow rubber so some tuning is necessary if you want to do more serious stuff with it. The topsheet is sometimes too soft. Donic have not hit the nail on the head with P1 and the 40 euro price range is highly unjustified. It should be more of a 25 eur rubber.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic