Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Playing with Singody Custom ZLC Cpen

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
simon_xuan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon_xuan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Playing with Singody Custom ZLC Cpen
    Posted: 07/12/2015 at 9:33pm
Custom ZLC Cpen from Singody

After wrestling with my 96g TB ALC for its weight and YEO for its dullness on the backhand for the 40+ ball, I asked Singody if he has a custom blade solution that is lighter, with forehand like a Stiga and backhand like a BTY ALC for the 40+ ball. He suggested trying his blades. After testing with his ZLC and Rosewood carbon, I started to have an amazed impression on the ZLC layer for the dwell time and bounce effect.

Long story short, I got a brand new ZLC cpen weighed at 82g mailed to me this week . The structure is black limba, ZLC, Ayous, Kiri core, Ayous, ZLC, black limba. After I put Omega V and Fastarc C1 rubbers on, it is weighted at 179g, perfect for my two wing RPB and Forehand looping style.

The black limba out ply looks so smooth and elegant with pre-treatment. The ZLC layer looked reddish. I was very impressed with the workmanship of Singody's custom-made blade. It is amazing the individual blade maker can produce something rivals factory quality.

Tried two sessions, and would like to write up some first impression.
Predictably, as Singody suggested, the limba layer gave enough dwell time on my forehand hit and medium strength looping. The arc is relatively flatter, compared to my HH3 cpen, but similar to the feel with ALC type of blade. It has the harder feeling, especially at close to and mid table rallying. With the XIOM rubber, I got better results with fast forehand snapping stroke rather than big Chinese type straight arm loop. It has very large sweet spot and fast with manner. The blade is very balanced, not head-heavy at all. Pushing long is effortless, low arc and a lot of backspin can be generated. I will try to use tuned Chinese rubbers, such as TG3 or H3-50, on my forehand next time to tuned down the speed a little bit to maximize the dwell.

The backhand crispiness is the bright spot of this blade. It is what I am expecting for a ALC like power and effortless return against strong loops. The C1 rubber and the combo of ZLC made me smile. The angles of my return is linear and predicable. This is better than the backhand characteristics than my ALC. Maybe it is the softer limba layer that soften the edge quite a bit. I can easily open medium speed under spin push with ease and wrist spring-hit the medium height balls produces very good arc. Backhand tearing for weak topspin normally surprise my practice partners. Due to the difference as C1 being the ESN German rubber, I feel this feature is more effortless than T05 FX I have been using on my backhand. This gave me some level of confidence to open the RPB flips bolder, knowing I can fast-rally the return balls even if my foot work is not fast enough to return to the originating position.

Because I play more close to table, the mid table rally are not very often executed during scored play. But the return of mid-distant balls are so much better than my 5 ply wood blades, but still have a soft feel, which is amazing.
Anyhow, I am very happy with this new blade. Singody gave me a great deal on this expensive blade, which to me is such a good buy than the IFZLC I have been eyeing and wishing.

Anyhow, I just dropped down some thoughts after the first two sessions. It is limited by my 1700 level strokes and footwork, thus has it subjectiveness. I usually don't do much equipment write-up in the past. But I think this blade really gave me something to excite about. I beat a 1800 player this Saturday with 3:2, who I typically lose to with 1:3 or 0:3. And especially for Singody's generosity to let me play with his top 3 hand blades to have a feel about his custom work in this niche market. I think his knowledge about the blade, rubber combo and playing techniques to share is so valuable. Here I wish I can express my appreciation.

Edited by simon_xuan - 07/13/2015 at 10:59am
RPB Rocks!

BTY Innerforce ZLC Cpen | DHS H3N Blue Sponge | Victas V>15 Extra

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=36695
Sponsored Links

Crowsfeather View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crowsfeather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2015 at 12:40am
That's a master piece.
plz kindly comparing speed and dwell time with Mmaze or Alc limba composite like adidas fiber tech power.

any comment ??
I'm no longer an EJ and I'm proud .
sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2015 at 1:11am
Very interesting indeed. I'm also a two winged cpen player. I use a Stiga Rosewood V. 

Are the two sides different on your blade? I'm wondering because I think a good combination would be
a ZLC-like forehand and a slower Rosewood-like backhand.
singody View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote singody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2015 at 9:59am
Originally posted by sandiway sandiway wrote:

Very interesting indeed. I'm also a two winged cpen player. I use a Stiga Rosewood V. 

Are the two sides different on your blade? I'm wondering because I think a good combination would be
a ZLC-like forehand and a slower Rosewood-like backhand.

As Simon mentioned in his review, the structure is black limba, ZLC, Ayous, Kiri core, Ayous, ZLC, black limba.
Handmade ZLC.
厌倦源于过度求新,满足来自用心重复。

My Feedback:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=41593&title=feedback-singody
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon_xuan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2015 at 10:51am
I played MM before, but not Adidas fiber tech. I feel the harder feel I got from ZLC is different from the MM since the catapult effort is less pronounced, which makes the backhand rally transition easier. Please note the cpen has limited zlc options, unless you are willing to go for higher priced BTY blades. Not going to BTY ZLC for me is partly the pricing. The custom blade's structure is probably close to TB ZLC on the 2nd layer, different from IFZLC where zlc is buried deep in the core. But the softer feel is from Limba top ply. The same structure both sides can make it consistent and predicable in left/right stroke transition. I feel the improvement over the RW5 is its medium speed gear on the forehand and more dwell time. The RW hard ply needs to be hit through with power stroke to produce loop ball quality. To me, the medium speed rally is the most occurrence in my game with similar rated players. My power loop from RW sometimes get the block back faster than I can recover to block back. This is the reason I left my RW5 in the drawer since my scored game result wasn't great with RW5, even if it was Xu Xin's blade before he goes to Intensity.

I am still trying to use softer sponged rubber to tame the forehand and the small ball. I feel my Omega V Asian sponge and topsheet is a tad too hard for the forehand. I will let me you how it goes after Tuesday's practice.

Edited by simon_xuan - 07/13/2015 at 10:55am
RPB Rocks!

sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2015 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by singody singody wrote:

As Simon mentioned in his review, the structure is black limba, ZLC, Ayous, Kiri core, Ayous, ZLC, black limba.
Ah, okay thx. Symmetrical.
kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2015 at 8:46pm
SINGODY y u no let me try your top 3 blades too? ._.
Viscaria
H3N/T05
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65345&KW=&title=feedback-kurokami
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon_xuan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2015 at 8:55pm
Oops, did I say that? Embarrassed But regardless, I think the demo blade is a good idea that sold me on the ZLC.

Edited by simon_xuan - 07/13/2015 at 8:56pm
RPB Rocks!

sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2015 at 11:09am
I've previously used an Innerforce ZLC adapted for penholder. Good for forehand but IMHO oo fast for RPB.

A rosewood V has much better control, but I do miss the Innerforce on the forehand.

I think a dream combination would be a ZLC fan rebrand and Rosewood V backhand

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon_xuan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2015 at 11:53pm
Rosewood V is a little bit muddy feel on the medium gear during quick rally for left-right handle counter. But looping character is very good. For the backhand RBP, BTY ALC and ZLC is "effortless" for borrowing incoming power. Harder feeling on the blade makes return stable. RW 5 requires looping power, thus my backhand fast rally even with push blocker didn't excel. I think the composite gives me a little better edge with the 40+ ball.
RPB Rocks!

sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2015 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by simon_xuan simon_xuan wrote:

For the backhand RBP, BTY ALC and ZLC is "effortless" for borrowing incoming power. Harder feeling on the blade makes return stable. 

It's interesting you feel that way.

For me, I want the ability to add more power on the forehand, so I prefer a ZLC-type blade. Backhand, I want to maximize control because the RPB loop cannot be as strong (as a forehand loop) anyway. Rather than seek to increase the speed on the backhand through the equipment, I feel it is better to play a control RPB loop. In my experience, the Rosewood V has good feel, and being much slower than the ZLC means it can be more reliable. Also if it's slower, you have more gears available for the RPB block.
amoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2015 at 10:07pm
I also acquired a Custom Shakehand ZLC blade from Singody through a trade almost a year ago and soon another. 

This is my first long review and below are my initial impressions during that time I have used the blade.

My initial requirements were simple, I asked for a blade with comparable playing features as to a Timo Boll ZLC in hitting speed but would also have more dwell time. Singody instantly recommended a blade he previously made to another member with similar requirements in which he used Redgum as top sheet to improve dwell time. The result can be seen here: 
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=54588&PN=10&title=fs-new-rubbers-handmade-blades

Post Ref: Posted: 03/02/2015 at 10:34pm

First Impressions:
The blade was similar to what one would receive from Butterfly or any other professional manufacturer of blades. 

Blade Setup:
I paired the blade with a set of Donic Bluefire M1 2.0 same as what I have been using on my TB ZLC setup 

Playing Impressions:
Singody fulfilled my request perfectly. The speed of the blade was fast but still controllable, the blade also feels like it was really capable of holding onto the ball longer making lifting under-spin from over the table really easy. Overall this blade has replaced my TB ZLC as it really is built for my playing style (mid-range looper). I highly recommend Singody's work and looking forward to more of his custom work.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon_xuan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2015 at 11:27pm
That is a good evaluation. Thanks for sharing. As for the RW5 discussion, the playing style determines the choice of tool. For myself, I am trying to achieve the opening from RPB and quick top spin rally with backhand and transition to forehand attack to close the deal. The backhand characteristics of the blade becomes important, especially playing stronger opponents that accustomed to deploy my Cpen backhand. RPB defence to me is gaining more weight in my style. I posted a short clip in 2013 asking forum folks to advise my backhand strokes. I got a lot of valuable feedback and believed my backhand improved somewhat in its consistency. I am sharing a short clip I did with my Saturday practice. Comments welcome. Thanks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ronj5nNJpAw&feature=youtu.be

Edited by simon_xuan - 07/30/2015 at 10:36pm
RPB Rocks!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic