Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

★ World Top 10 Men's Equipment 2015 / 2005 ★

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rxng View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote rxng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ★ World Top 10 Men's Equipment 2015 / 2005 ★
    Posted: 07/15/2015 at 12:36pm
Hello!!! it's me again and this time I would like to share the pictures of ITTF World Top 10 Men's Equipment, compared to top 10 in 2005. The two most obvious changing in regulations through these ten years would be 1. Banned for organic glue 2. 40+ balls. It would be interesting to know how the world top players' equipment changed from this decade. Here you are the table I made:

From the above chart , we can clearly see that in 2005, most of the top players ( 8 out of 10 ) use all wood type blades, while two players use composite blades. Ten years later, 2015, most of the top players ( 7 out of 10 ) use composite blades, while three players use all wood blades. It shows that 5+2 Arylate Carbon (BTY & DHS) are the most common type of blades among top players nowadays. 

On the other hand, Penhold styles are not common among the top players these days, only Xu Xin left in the top ten list.

Here we are some questions to discuss:

1. Among the amateur players, is "5+2 Arylate Carbon" composition is the most common to play because its characteristics suits 40+ balls the most? Or most people are still using all wood type blades? Is it the end of all wood type blades?

2. What is the future of Penhold styles players? Who would be the next that achieve the top ten? 

3. Congratulations to Timo Boll and Samsonov Vladimir, they are remain in world top ten after a decade. Who will remain in the top ten after another decade? Fan Zhendong?

Please feel free to discuss, and sorry for my bad English.

And lastly, enjoy the photos that I collected from the Internet :

01 Ma Long

02 Xu Xin

03 Fan Zhendong

04 Zhang Jike

05 Jun Mizutani

06 Ovtcharov Dimitrij

07 Timo Boll

08 Samsonov Vladimir

09 Fang Bo

10 Freitas Marcos

01 Wang Liqin

02 Ma Lin

03 Timo Boll

04 Wang Hao

05 Samsonov Vladimir ( I cannot find his blade pictures in 2005, if anyone can find, please help, thanks !!!)

06 Chen Qi

07 Oh Sang-eun

08 Ryu Seung-min

09 Kreanga Kalinikos

10 Chuang Chih-Yuan

Credits / Photo Source:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ittfworld/16730075313/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ittfworld/17350327645/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ittfworld/17303194736/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ittfworld/17348445332/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ittfworld/17325356726/
https://www.facebook.com/ITTFWorld/videos/1173255629371105/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ittfworld/17311670541/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ittfworld/16679034963/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ittfworld/17134593258/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ittfworld/16717856124/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ittfworld/15832589497/
http://www.tenisstolowy.pl/?s=231-235
http://www.sundns.org
http://www.ittf.com

Edited by rxng - 07/15/2015 at 12:38pm
Sponsored Links

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2015 at 2:18pm
Very very interesting post!!!!!!
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2015 at 2:38pm
Top post Thumbs Up congrats. It's simple but you must have put a lot of work into it.
Also you will have single-handedly reduced the sales of all-wood significantlySmile
I think Samsonov had the same blade from he was a lad. He was forced to change within the past 2 yrs or so as it was in such bad condition that it would not pass inspection. There's a discussion on here somewhere.

Edited by Tinykin - 07/15/2015 at 2:58pm
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
crackfst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crackfst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2015 at 3:52pm
so All wood is for speed glue rubbers and composite are more suited to the new non speedglued rubber is what you are saying?

really nice pics btw Thumbs Up
Darker Speed 90 Jpen
Tenergy 64
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2015 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by crackfst crackfst wrote:

so All wood is for speed glue rubbers and composite are more suited to the new non speedglued rubber is what you are saying?

really nice pics btw Thumbs Up

He didn't say it but it certainly makes sense.
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2015 at 4:05pm
Correct names of the used blades will be welcome too.
Dima and Vlady are using Clippers with their sponsor's handles.
Fang and Long are using Ma Long DHS Carbon.
Zhang - Viscaria.
Boll - ALC.
Freitas - MAZE ALC (if not changed)
Xin- Intensity
Jun - Mizutani SZLC
FanZD - Emerald ( or Viscaria with Stiga handles?)

IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2015 at 12:39am
Sriver and Bryce turn into TENERGY 05 and 64

Hurricane turns into... Hurricane.
Crowsfeather View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crowsfeather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2015 at 2:07am
Not Surprise,  They step up from 5 layer to 7 and also allwood to composite.
That POLY BALL !!
I'm no longer an EJ and I'm proud .
AgavE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgavE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2015 at 8:02am
Originally posted by kolevtt kolevtt wrote:

FanZD - Emerald ( or Viscaria with Stiga handles?)

Not Emerald - Infinity VPS 5, but of course only handle, the core is - viscaria.
Samsonov's blade for a long time was - butterfly mazunov off+ with different tibhar handles, but about few years ago the blade is - samsonov force pro black edition (i think it also custom or special...)
rxng View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rxng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2015 at 12:57am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Very very interesting post!!!!!!
Thanks Baal, it is interesting to see how the pro players changed after a decade, maybe a good reference for amateur players too.
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2015 at 1:26am
Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

Also you will have single-handedly reduced the sales of all-wood significantlySmile

Possibly true, but sad if it is.  What suits a top-ten pro isn't necessarily what even a highly skilled club player would benefit from or use.

I'm actually pretty surprised at how many top players used all wood in 2005.  I'm pretty sure that the percentage using some form of composite was much higher among club players at the same time.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
wilkinru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2015 at 7:03am
ALC blades really feel like they have a bigger sweet spot for me - but beyond that, I think most club players get them because butterfly does a good job with the quality. A coach/club knows people won't be disappointed with the product. It's a safe and conservative purchase even. 

On the rubber side - Sriver and mark V were all about the speed glue. When the rule change went into effect...it opened the flood gates for new products to get that 'speed glue' feeling back.

Plenty of products out there, I think the durability and quality of tenergy products tend to win out for club players, despite the price. Pros only care how that rubber performs for the first 2 weeks of its life - and it's likely the pros are getting the very best rubber or even custom.

Edited by wilkinru - 07/22/2015 at 7:05am
t64t64t64 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t64t64t64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2015 at 8:04am
Samsonov remain in top 10 for all that period -Impressive :)
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61764&PID=734709򳗵
Bran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2015 at 8:56am
Players not only moved to composites after the glue ban, they also moved away from 5-ply blades. These are very rare now, safe for penholders.
Chicobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2015 at 10:03am
Would be interesting to see a similar post for the women's side and the trends we could see there.
AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2015 at 11:00am
The most differences are in CNT shakehand players.. The succes of Zhang Jike using Viscaria made them switch to composites..

My question for those who follow closer CNT and Zhang Jike is: Did he enter in CNT using Viscaria by his own choice or was he oriented by CNT coaches to use it?? 

I know is hard to know but I ask because 10 years ago was an absolute outrage to use ALC blades with tacky rubbers on FH.. Some players like Zhang Chao and Qiu Yike used to play with Clipper, and Clipper was the standard blade for power play... Now to play with Viscaria or DHS composite is the new standard between CNT male shakehanders..

Edited by AMonteiro - 07/22/2015 at 11:01am
Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2015 at 11:12am
Originally posted by Bran Bran wrote:

Players not only moved to composites after the glue ban, they also moved away from 5-ply blades. These are very rare now, safe for penholders.

As far as I know, Korbels and Stratus Powerwoods are 5 ply blades, not that rare, and used by pros.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Bran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2015 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Originally posted by Bran Bran wrote:

As far as I know, Korbels and Stratus Powerwoods are 5 ply blades, not that rare, and used by pros.

Oh? Do you have examples? I was firstly referring to the table, but I also thought the majority stood with composite or 7-ply. I may have seen a Korean or two with a Korbel, but that's it. Never saw Stratuses.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2015 at 1:39pm
[QUOTE=NextLevel]
The table, IMO, with the exception of Samsonov who was forced to change blades by his favorite being ruled illegal for tournament play, is more about a change in generations.  What would be interesting to know is what players like Ma Lin, Wang Liqin and Wang Hao were using after the glue ban.

Edit

next level my apologies, I hit the wrong button trying to reply to your post and ended up editing it  instead.

Baal

Cry
firetack View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firetack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2015 at 2:17pm
Gionis also uses Korbel..wr 22
Black Balsa 3.0 fh/tenergy 05 1.9 388d ox

wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2015 at 3:09pm

The table, IMO, with the exception of Samsonov who was forced to change blades by his favorite being ruled illegal for tournament play, is more about a change in generations. 

I was unaware of this.  Which blade and what was the issue?

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
siestakey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siestakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2015 at 3:13pm

According to Teesport , Pitchford uses Zhang Jike !
Siesta Key
W968
Omega Tour 7 i
Tommy16 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tommy16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2015 at 5:04am
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

The table, IMO, with the exception of Samsonov who was forced to change blades by his favorite being ruled illegal for tournament play, is more about a change in generations. 

I believe it was Mazunov and blades head twisted a bit due the wbg and made it un-even (maybe english speaking peoples have better word for this) and made it illegal.
What is the point of playing safe shots when you can miss with style

My feedback: http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=67171&KW=&PID=811763&title=tommy16-feedback#811763
Tommy16 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tommy16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2015 at 5:05am
Originally posted by Tommy16 Tommy16 wrote:

I believe it was Mazunov and blades head twisted a bit due the wbg and made it un-even (maybe english speaking peoples have better word for this) and thus illegal.
What is the point of playing safe shots when you can miss with style

My feedback: http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=67171&KW=&PID=811763&title=tommy16-feedback#811763
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2015 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by Tommy16 Tommy16 wrote:

I believe it was Mazunov and blades head twisted a bit due the wbg and made it un-even (maybe english speaking peoples have better word for this) and made it illegal.
What is "wbg"?

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2015 at 2:07pm
Water based glue.  but the Mazunov mat have been warped before this.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2015 at 2:08pm
"wbg" = water based glue
Edit: NL beat me to it...

Edited by Matt Pimple - 07/23/2015 at 2:09pm
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2015 at 3:43pm

Water based glue.  but the Mazunov mat have been warped before this.

Ah OK.  So his blade warped with use/age and was no longer "flat".  Got it.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2019 at 5:32pm
I think one important factor is that the game becomes more and more backhand oriented. Carbon blades are very good for backhand oriented play, since the backhand is a short stroke and a carbon blade supports that.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic