Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Only one wing seems to be warmed up per day

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
FinalFight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FinalFight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Only one wing seems to be warmed up per day
    Posted: 07/30/2015 at 9:56am
Solved!

Edited by FinalFight - 12/13/2015 at 12:33pm
Sponsored Links

Ringer84 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2015 at 10:33am
This all sounds normal, and I would imagine that it's  a psychological problem.  At any time during your forehand struggles last night, did you try singing a song in your head and merely stare intently at the ball?Many times I will start to consciously analyze my technique on the wing that doesn't feel right and then everything goes to crap. You said that you "did not seem to commit at all" on the FH, so I wonder if this is what is happening to you as well.

Edited by Ringer84 - 07/30/2015 at 10:36am
USATT Rating: 1785
Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Andro Rasant
BH: Baracuda
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2015 at 11:11am
When this happens to me it is usually when I do not get a good warm-up. For some reason if I do not warm up well, no matter how long I play, I am inconsistent (on my good side). For my weaker side it is more a problem of bad technique. 
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2015 at 12:43pm
Is it possible that your feet are positioned differently on different days? Poor foot position for a forehand is often good foot position for a backhand and vice versa.

Edited by heavyspin - 07/30/2015 at 12:47pm
An EJ to a table tennis player is an equipment junkie. An ej to a mathematician is a standard basis vector.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2015 at 12:52pm
Piggybacking on what heavyspin said,  I've found 4 major causes for this:

1.  Grip changes (both conscious and unconscious) - I have all kinds of grips which I can hit my strokes in and it gets confusing to keep track of which ones help and hurt.
2.  Right foot positioning - if I have it pointing outwards, my forehand is good, but if I have it pointing forward, my forehand is cramped.
3.  Elbow positioning - when my elbow is too close to my body, my forehand quality tends to suffer and my backhand suffers as well, but feels natural since I played this way for a long time.
4.  Energy level - more energy to use my forehand than backhand so when I lose energy, I use my backhand all over the table.  I can take the ball earlier with my backhand so I block more from there and play more balls off the bounce and over the table.

Edited by NextLevel - 07/30/2015 at 12:52pm
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
wilkinru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2015 at 1:23pm
First thing that came to mind was an inconsistent grip.

Lost my first match yesterday in an unusual way, looked at my grip before the second match during warmup and realized I was using my older grip!

Before the first match, my warmup consisted of about 5 hits...so yeah, poor warm up too!

Tk5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tk5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2015 at 1:48pm
It sounds mostly like a psychological issue to me. You miss a few fhs and then you tell yourself that your fh is off on that day. Instead try and keep your confidence. If you are a fh player then you shouldn't change your game and play all bh attack; stick to your guns for the most part. It is like what they tell good shooters in basketball, just keep shooting even if you are 0 for 15. 

If you really think it is a technical issue, you should think about what you are doing differently than normal and try to make adjustments to whatever that is.  

Edited by Tk5 - 07/30/2015 at 2:00pm
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2015 at 4:25pm
The other thing I forgot is that you are a hitter. Sometimes, you hit game can fall apart. You might want to add a spin option for more safety if the environment is not forgiving.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2015 at 9:39pm
More side-to-side multiball drills and other drills that force you to make transitions.  Might help.  Develop confidence.
FinalFight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinalFight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2015 at 11:01pm
You guys are awesome. After reading the replies here and using a little trial and error during practice tonight I figured out that my grip was the culprit. When I closed my bat angle a bit and stuck with it, the shots felt natural and were landing on the table. Much, much better. A really simple tweak that was a game changer.

Edited by FinalFight - 07/31/2015 at 11:33pm
wilkinru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2015 at 4:03pm
huzzah :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic