Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cross Training: Bavly vs DeWitt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cross Training: Bavly vs DeWitt
    Posted: 08/02/2015 at 12:18am
Better-than-their-appearance-would-indicate champs battle it out on the tennis court.

Edited by heavyspin - 08/02/2015 at 12:48am
An EJ to a table tennis player is an equipment junkie. An ej to a mathematician is a standard basis vector.
Sponsored Links

clannewton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clannewton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2015 at 12:45am
unable to view your video, the site is stating it is a private video and asking viewers to sign in. 
Nittaku Violin FL-L
FH Donic Bluefire m-1 max
BH Donic Bluefire m-2 max
Cocoa Beach TTC, Florida
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2015 at 12:48am
How about now?
An EJ to a table tennis player is an equipment junkie. An ej to a mathematician is a standard basis vector.
clannewton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clannewton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2015 at 1:04am
Works now! That is funny, Richards tennis strings reflect the same effect of his table tennis rubberLOL
Nittaku Violin FL-L
FH Donic Bluefire m-1 max
BH Donic Bluefire m-2 max
Cocoa Beach TTC, Florida
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2015 at 8:59am
Heavyspin what is your rating in Tennis. Hard to judge from the clip, I would think 3.5 or 4.0?
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2015 at 9:45am
I would say, jrs, based on what I saw, that heavy is a good solid 3.5.  The video is too short to make a definitive judgment.  Larry's serve is solid if falling a tad short, forehand not too shabby, backhand volley not exactly textbook.  Can't tell from the video about his court coverage or his backhand drive or slice.

I make these judgments as myself a tennis player from 1955-2000 whose highest estimated rating was between 4.0-4.5.  I lost in the finals of the 1968 Ft. Meade Singles Championship to a First Lieutenant whose game was steadier than mine, more consistent, and was definitely around a 4.5.  When playing public park tennis in Cleveland and Columbus, I could beat 3.5 and 4.0 players generally, but the 4.5 and 5.0 players especially made life difficult for me.

Edited by berndt_mann - 08/02/2015 at 9:48am
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2015 at 11:08am
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

Heavyspin what is your rating in Tennis. Hard to judge from the clip, I would think 3.5 or 4.0?

I once played in a 4.0 league and held my own (had a slight winning record), however I was a svelte 270 at the time.
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2015 at 11:29am
Originally posted by berndt_mann berndt_mann wrote:

I lost in the finals of the 1968 Ft. Meade Singles Championship to a First Lieutenant whose game was steadier than mine, more consistent, and was definitely around a 4.5.  When playing public park tennis in Cleveland and Columbus, I could beat 3.5 and 4.0 players generally, but the 4.5 and 5.0 players especially made life difficult for me.

Played with a wooden racket strung with catgut I presume?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2015 at 2:40pm
I only wish it were catgut, heavy; I played with VS gut on a TAD Imperial racquet as a member (no. 12, last place), of the Cleveland Heights High School tennis team back in the days of '59.  The racquet cost $17.95, the gut around 15 bucks.  Had to sell a lot of beer and hot dogs at the old Cleveland Stadium to be able to afford that rig. 

The gut was very responsive but did not last long.  If you hit a flat first serve and a twist second serve plus flat groundstrokes with the ever present danger of hitting the back fence on the fly, you could quite easily bust a string, exerting a heavy toll on both game and pocketbook.  Eventually, I don't remember when, I gave up gut for the more durable but less combustible nylon.

I don't remember what racquet I used when playing that First Lieutenant.  It may have been a Slazenger and was definitely strung at around 55 lbs. tension with nylon to keep my hard but erratic flat forehands and backhands in play.

bmann1942
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2015 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by heavyspin heavyspin wrote:

Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

I once played in a 4.0 league and held my own (had a slight winning record), however I was a svelte 270 at the time.
From the video serve and FH - looks 4.0, but wasn't sure about rest of the game. You should play racketlon - might give a lot of people trouble. Problem will  be badminton followed by squash - physical fitness will become an issue!
Butterfly MPS
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2015 at 3:19pm

I would say, jrs, based on what I saw, that heavy is a good solid 3.5.  The video is too short to make a definitive judgment.  Larry's serve is solid if falling a tad short, forehand not too shabby, backhand volley not exactly textbook.  Can't tell from the video about his court coverage or his backhand drive or slice.

I make these judgments as myself a tennis player from 1955-2000 whose highest estimated rating was between 4.0-4.5.  I lost in the finals of the 1968 Ft. Meade Singles Championship to a First Lieutenant whose game was steadier than mine, more consistent, and was definitely around a 4.5.  When playing public park tennis in Cleveland and Columbus, I could beat 3.5 and 4.0 players generally, but the 4.5 and 5.0 players especially made life difficult for me.
berndt_mann - if I may - not trying to hijack the thread - but at the Tennis club bunch of people are of the opinion TT would spoil their Tennis stroke. I play both sports at an intermediate level and never felt this to be an issue. What is your opinion? 
Butterfly MPS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2015 at 4:00pm
I cannot speak for the members of your tennis club, jrs, but I believe that the tennis forehand topspin drive and the backhand topspin drive, whether one-handed or two-handed, are sufficiently dissimilar to the table tennis forehand and backhand counter- and loop drives so that their tennis strokes need not be adversely affected.

Of course, if some of the members of your tennis club maintain otherwise, they are free to play table tennis using a Western or semi-Western tennis grip, and an extreme Eastern backhand grip or a two-handed backhand and employ their tennis strokes as best they can.  I would not hazard a guess, however, as to how competent they would be at contemporary table tennis if playing in such a manner. 

Edited by berndt_mann - 08/02/2015 at 6:02pm
bmann1942
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2015 at 8:47pm

I only wish it were catgut, heavy; I played with VS gut on a TAD Imperial racquet as a member (no. 12, last place), of the Cleveland Heights High School tennis team back in the days of '59.  The racquet cost $17.95, the gut around 15 bucks.  Had to sell a lot of beer and hot dogs at the old Cleveland Stadium to be able to afford that rig. 

The gut was very responsive but did not last long.  If you hit a flat first serve and a twist second serve plus flat groundstrokes with the ever present danger of hitting the back fence on the fly, you could quite easily bust a string, exerting a heavy toll on both game and pocketbook.  Eventually, I don't remember when, I gave up gut for the more durable but less combustible nylon.

I don't remember what racquet I used when playing that First Lieutenant.  It may have been a Slazenger and was definitely strung at around 55 lbs. tension with nylon to keep my hard but erratic flat forehands and backhands in play.

I still have my Kramer Autograph that I used in high school - with original nylon strings.

Bavly and DeWitt might want to consider looking into PickleBall.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2015 at 11:20pm
I was just thinking:  how about a doubles match between Bavly/DeWitt and John McEnroe and the annoying creature who represents Jublia toenail fungus cream against toenail fungus (look at the footwork!).

This could be a difficult match to make book on, but I'd give a slight edge to Bavly/DeWitt.  If Larry and DeWitt were to play the Jublia creature/toenail fungus mano a mano, I'm virtually certain it'd be no contest.

Edited by berndt_mann - 08/02/2015 at 11:22pm
bmann1942
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2015 at 11:14am
This video might explain why people don't take TT seriously. These 2 players are advanced level TT players, but in Tennis they are intermediate level. By looking at them play Tennis average observer can determine their level of play. 

R. Dewitt - if people watched him play TT they would consider him intermediate. Larry's TT game looks advanced because of the style of play. 

Butterfly MPS
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2015 at 12:08pm
It was just a fun post. This was my second time holding a racket in 3 years and Rich's first time in 3 years. Even with the lack of practice, I believe I can go toe-to-toe with the Jublia thing.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic