Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

P7 Substitute

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Clarence247 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: P7 Substitute
    Posted: 08/02/2015 at 12:39am
Just as soon as I found my definite BH rubber (Hammond Pro Beta)... I lost my dearest FH rubber.... the Adidas P7 as Adidas have backed out of TT!

Can players who have experience with the P7 recommend good alternatives?

I am considering T05 (might aswell consider it at this point) - no T05FX I did not quite like it although it might be more similar to P7 - I feel it is not as good

Rasant Grip

MX-P

MX-S

As an aside - I tried Rakza 7 on FH for a while and its not a good substitute at all - different feel, different way of playing, less control....so I have to hold back a bit... with P7 I can use all spin and speed I want and retain such great control....it makes it  a weapon...

missing it already!!!!!!!

OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
Sponsored Links

42andbackpains View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42andbackpains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2015 at 1:15am
Originally posted by Clarence247 Clarence247 wrote:

Just as soon as I found my definite BH rubber (Hammond Pro Beta)... I lost my dearest FH rubber.... the Adidas P7 as Adidas have backed out of TT!

I am considering T05 (might aswell consider it at this point) - no T05FX I did not quite like it although it might be more similar to P7 - I feel it is not as good

Rasant Grip

MX-P

MX-S

As an aside - I tried Rakza 7 on FH for a while and its not a good substitute at all - different feel, different way of playing, less control....so I have to hold back a bit... with P7 I can use all spin and speed I want and retain such great control....it makes it  a weapon...

As mentioned in the Adidas post, the Adidas rubbers will still be ITTF approved until mid to late 2017. So you still have a about 2 years before you need to change your FH rubber. Also teesport.com is having a sale on all adidas products right now. You can order P7 rubbers 30 to 40 percent off regular price. You can just hoard some for 2 years worth of playiing.

http://www.teessport.com/rubbers-c6#m35

Mind is willing, but the back goes out too often :P
OSP Ultimate II 88 grams
FH Dianchi D w/ Secret Sauce
BH Butterfly T05 Red
USATT rating keeps going down
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2015 at 3:52am
From reading about P7's sponge and topsheet hardnesses, seems like Blit'z 42 or EL-P would be worth a try
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
_maddic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _maddic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2015 at 5:50am

T05

Rasant Grip

MX-P

MX-S

T05 - probably the closes to P7.
looping arch/*throw angle? - very similar
spin - similar ease of spin , T05 can probably put out slightly a bit more spin both on top end spin and serving spin
speed - t05 is faster , but P7 control is maybe only a tad better with much less spin sensitivity
the only notable difference is , i feel P7 is much easier at lifting backspins. other than that , T05 is a similar/better in most aspects , except being faster and spinnier with slightly less control.

Rasant Grip - looping arch differs alot , monster spin though. din't hit too much with it because of the difference.

MX-P / MX-S - no experience

other alternative - Battle II , or chinese H3 types in general (nothing like P7 , very big difference in everything from serving angles to loops techniques)
it really requires you to do everything yourself , helped with learning my forehand technique alot.
vajica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vajica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2015 at 5:55am
You can cut two from the list, MX-P is way too fast (maybe in 1.8?), EL-P completely different, much harder topsheet...
I am having the same trouble, I find P7 ideal and impossible to replace.
Will test Acuda Blue P1 soon, otherewise hoarding seems to be inevitable :D
unstopabl3 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2015 at 6:43am
Originally posted by 42andbackpains 42andbackpains wrote:

Rasant Grip

MX-P

MX-S

As mentioned in the Adidas post, the Adidas rubbers will still be ITTF approved until mid to late 2017. So you still have a about 2 years before you need to change your FH rubber. Also teesport.com is having a sale on all adidas products right now. You can order P7 rubbers 30 to 40 percent off regular price. You can just hoard some for 2 years worth of playiing.

http://www.teessport.com/rubbers-c6#m35

Teessport is selling a sheet of P7 for about 34€ whereas our forum member Tibi is selling it for 32€, so might as well get it from him :P

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2015 at 6:46am

Rasant Grip

MX-P

MX-S

How much dwell time does P7 has compared to Rakza 7 and is P7 sponge softer than Rakza 7 in your opinion? I prefer a rubber which allows me to produce good friction when I need to heavy spin the ball but also allows easy side-spin rallies and allows me to feel the ball dig in the sponge for a second or two a bit if you know what I mean.

Would you say P7 will allow me to do that?

Also have you tried Tenzone or Tenzone Ultra, are they similar in gameplay to P7?
vajica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote vajica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2015 at 6:52am
Let me answer, P7 suits your needs great, the dwell time is big because of the soft topsheet,  yet the sponge is harder then Rakza 7, that results in less catapult. Also, the throw is higher in P7 , lifting underspin is a peace of cake if you have any basic moves covered.
Tenzones are very different

Edited by vajica - 08/02/2015 at 6:55am
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2015 at 7:36am
Originally posted by vajica vajica wrote:

Let me answer, P7 suits your needs great, the dwell time is big because of the soft topsheet,  yet the sponge is harder then Rakza 7, that results in less catapult. Also, the throw is higher in P7 , lifting underspin is a peace of cake if you have any basic moves covered.
Tenzones are very different

How is P7 for passive blocking or smash hitting or third ball attacks? What about side-spin type serves???

How are the tenzones different from P7? I thought they only differ it speed and thus less controllable?

Edited by unstopabl3 - 08/02/2015 at 7:38am
jackass22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jackass22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2015 at 7:40am
Joola maxxx 450 or 500. It has soft topsheet and hard sponge. Very good rubber.
vajica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote vajica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2015 at 7:43am
Passive block and hitting are not its forte, it's spin sensitive, though not so much as T05.
Tenzones have different top sheets, newer generation, more like Rasant grip, Rhyzm etc
They have huge amount of spin, but also lower throw then P7
vajica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vajica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2015 at 7:54am
Originally posted by jackass22 jackass22 wrote:

Joola maxxx 450 or 500. It has soft topsheet and hard sponge. Very good rubber.

Worth a try, I am just afraid that the throw is lower
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2015 at 7:59am
Okay I will give P7 a try and see if it suits me. Thanks
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2015 at 1:45pm

Rasant Grip

MX-P

MX-S

missing it already!!!!!!

I feel your pain!  but I recently changed blade types from one ply to ZL koto/ALC combo so I had started experimenting a couple weeks ago anyway.  I am keeping my forehand rubber Nittaku Hold and testing calibra Lt and Lt Plus on the BH.  I am not going to stay with P7 as it has been my experience with discontinued products that manufacturing and supplier inputs plus QC tends to decline after such an announcement so I am moving on.

Edited by lineup32 - 08/02/2015 at 1:46pm
crackfst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crackfst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2015 at 7:07am
In my opinion Bluefire JP 02(maybe 01 is closer in hardness but i think it is in between) is a good fit

Edited by crackfst - 08/03/2015 at 7:22am
Darker Speed 90 Jpen
Tenergy 64
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2015 at 8:54am
Tibhar fx-p could be an alternative to P7
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2015 at 9:09am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

Aren't they at hardness levels that are on the opposite ends of the spectrum (40 deg vs 47.5 deg)?
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2015 at 9:36am
If what you like about P7 is soft topsheet with hard sponge, try MX-S, Joola Maxx or Rasant Powergrip. They all throw lower than P7, but have more spin. The sponge is harder though.

Tibhar Genius and the generation of tensors with Baracuda and Hexer are not that far off as well.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
vajica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vajica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2015 at 10:00am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

If what you like about P7 is soft topsheet with hard sponge, try MX-S, Joola Maxx or Rasant Powergrip. They all throw lower than P7, but have more spin. The sponge is harder though.

Tibhar Genius and the generation of tensors with Baracuda and Hexer are not that far off as well.

I think those are best suggestions, thanks. Which of those throws highest?
I will also try Acuda P1, should have even softer top sheet then MX-S
vajica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vajica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2015 at 10:12am
 P.S. I meant, which of those three new rubbers throws highest?

I know Baracuda and Hexer, they were just a bit too bouncy and uncontrolled for me when I tried them :)
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2015 at 11:20am
From personal experience, there is nothing one can do with P7 that is not doable with Tibhar 5Q+ - which is high throw, very spinny and not that bouncy.

Edited by vvk1 - 08/03/2015 at 11:34am
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2015 at 11:32am
Originally posted by vvk1 vvk1 wrote:

From personal experience, there is nothing one can do with P7 that is not doable with Tibhar 5Q+ - which high throw, very spinny and not that bouncy.

That is another good one actually - I haven't thought seriously about the Q series in a while.  5Q itself is pretty close to P7.

Edited by NextLevel - 08/03/2015 at 11:43am
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
vajica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vajica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2015 at 11:44am

From personal experience, there is nothing one can do with P7 that is not doable with Tibhar 5Q+ - which is high throw, very spinny and not that bouncy.

Oh yes, that might really work!
It's probably a bit softer, but you could be absolutely right on this one, thanks a lot!
nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2015 at 12:31pm

+1 .I use the 5Q+ ( I'm assuming that the '+' refers to the update version). And i completely agree.
vajica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vajica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2015 at 4:36pm
Yogi said that 5Q+ is a bit faster then older 5Q, it seems that the old one could be better equivalent of P7 then?

Anyone tried both versions?
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2015 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

Aren't they at hardness levels that are on the opposite ends of the spectrum (40 deg vs 47.5 deg)?

They both have soft feels on impact. No way one of them feels like a 40 degrees rubber.

On the other hand, 5q+ has a different feel and it is also harder than p7. I am actually suggesting more on the feel.
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2015 at 7:51pm
I remember yogi calling the 5q+ a bit 'livelier', which would make it a bit faster too. It's still pretty controlled tho and I'd say it'l be better to go with the 5Q+
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
vajica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vajica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2015 at 7:52pm
(In my humble opinion) P7 also feels pretty soft on impact, much softer then its sponge hardness suggests, that is why it is so unique, I guess.

I tried all of the Evolution series, MX-P, EL-P and FX-P, and they all were significantly bouncier (on my blades at least) then P7. My playing game is 90% looping, most of it slow, hitting only really high balls, and 5Q could really be better solution.

Though, I think Tibhar now sells only 5Q+ if I am right...

nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2015 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by vajica vajica wrote:

(In my humble opinion) P7 also feels pretty soft on impact, much softer then its sponge hardness suggests, that is why it is so unique, I guess.

I tried all of the Evolution series, MX-P, EL-P and FX-P, and they all were significantly bouncier (on my blades at least) then P7. My playing game is 90% looping, most of it slow, hitting only really high balls, and 5Q could really be better solution.

Though, I think Tibhar now sells only 5Q+ if I am right...

Not sure whetehr tibhar only sells the 5Q+, but I don't see a reason why someone wouldn't want a 'little' bit of added liveliness, speed and spin than the original 5Q without affecting control a bit. And yeah, might be the soft top sheet of p7 giving that feeling since the evolution top sheets aren't super soft (with el-p being a tiny bit harder compared to the other two).. So I agree! 5Q can be a good substitute ! Though iv been questioning my 5Qs performance with the plastic ball (maybe I need a new sheet).
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
vajica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vajica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2015 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by nv42 nv42 wrote:

Not sure whetehr tibhar only sells the 5Q+, but I don't see a reason why someone wouldn't want a 'little' bit of added liveliness, speed and spin than the original 5Q without affecting control a bit

Because it sounds too good to be true :D But if the control is really the same or better, there is no reason to look back ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic