Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

P7 Substitute

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Ray View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2015 at 6:43am
If it is so reasonable for you, why you didn't start selling Adidas?
Life is too short for defensive play.

https://twitter.com/spinnier_com
fb.me/spinnier
Sponsored Links

p1ngp0ng3r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote p1ngp0ng3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2015 at 7:01am
I don't think R7 is  a proper substitute for P7. Despite it's rating as hard, the P7 plays rather soft, due to it's soft topsheet. It plays softer than R7 for sure (my opinion at least ;)

R7 Soft would fit better.

Edited by p1ngp0ng3r - 08/16/2015 at 7:05am
Infinity VPS - Hybrid MK - T25 FX
unstopabl3 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2015 at 7:46am
Originally posted by p1ngp0ng3r p1ngp0ng3r wrote:

I don't think R7 is  a proper substitute for P7. Despite it's rating as hard, the P7 plays rather soft, due to it's soft topsheet. It plays softer than R7 for sure (my opinion at least ;)

R7 Soft would fit better.

I've been using R7 Soft on my BH for about 6 months and since a few weeks I've switched it to my FH and absolutely loving it. I've recently ordered P7 based on many recommendations and reviews like yours, let's see if it is indeed better than R7 :P
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2015 at 9:22am
P7's hard sponge / soft topsheet is great, and is a world away from Rakza 7. 7 soft has a really different feel and behaves totally differently in high gears, but isn't so different in other areas.

It's tricky to get a direct replacement. MX-S is faster, much harder in feel, lower throw, and requires different techniques to get the best out of it.

I'd say that the closest from the recent ESN range is Omega V Asia, which shares the hard sponge soft topsheet approach. It's faster than P7 though.

P7 allows me to attack very aggressively when close in with a big safety margin without too many sacrifices in other areas. Perhaps it's too slow on the drive/block to be a truly high-end rubber (MX-S shines here), but it's a lot of fun for a bumbling amateur like me. I'm stocking up in the hope that someone re-releases it.
LennyG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LennyG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2015 at 12:57pm
I've just changed my setup to P7 FH and OVAsia BH. They feel very similar on contact, but P7 is very linear and not too fast and OVA is completely opposite, almost dead on touch shots and crazy fast on hard hits. OVA can work with my compact BH stroke, but is going to take some time to get used to. On FH P7 is so easier. FH loops with OVA are more powerful and penetrating when landing on the table, but require a lot more precision and good technique. IMO P7 users with good technique and who like to step away from the table would like OVA. I need to improve my FH to play with it. So for now I will practice with P7 and look for something as good and forgiving.
USATT 1700
Donic Waldner WC89
Xiom Omega V Asia
LennyG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LennyG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2015 at 1:07pm
Can somebody compare P7 and Rasant Powergrip, speed, spin, how easy to play with?
USATT 1700
Donic Waldner WC89
Xiom Omega V Asia
ThePongProfessor View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2015 at 1:27pm
I have used P7 and RPG as FH rubbers on a fairly stiff 5-ply all-wood OFF blade. The rubbers have a very different feel. P7 feels much softer than RPG. P7 has a higher throw angle making it easier to attack backspin. Both rubbers grip the ball very well and impart high amounts of spin, although P7 seems to result in higher amounts of spin in low velocity shots (serves, soft opening loops), while RPG results in more spin on faster shots (loop drives). RPG is faster when fully engaged and is better than P7 for flat hitting. Both rubbers have a nice feel in short play, with RPG perhaps being a tad less sensitive to incoming spin. RPG is more durable than P7 (the latter chips easily in my hands). In my opinion, RG is a closer P7 analog than RPG but also isn't quite "it".  
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

Feedback
LennyG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LennyG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2015 at 1:49pm
Thank you Patrick. Seems like PG and RPG worth a try.
USATT 1700
Donic Waldner WC89
Xiom Omega V Asia
ahsq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahsq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2015 at 4:21pm
RPG has a hard topsheet and very heavily booster. The throw angle is very low. 

FH loop is crazy low arc and fast. no one could even try to block my full looping FH, the ball is that fast.

Edited by ahsq - 08/17/2015 at 4:23pm
FS:
Xiom Vega Pro ST 85 grams $80 shipped
Donic Waldner Senso Carbo JO shaped ST $40 shipped

ahsq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahsq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2015 at 4:22pm
personally I prefer higher throw angles for equal balance on topspin and backspin incoming balls.

Edited by ahsq - 08/17/2015 at 4:24pm
FS:
Xiom Vega Pro ST 85 grams $80 shipped
Donic Waldner Senso Carbo JO shaped ST $40 shipped

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2015 at 3:04pm
@Clarence247. @vajica, @nv42

So which rubbers did you guys try or move onto from P7? I've been using P7 2.0mm on my FH since a month now and absolutely loving it. Unfortunately I only ordered one sheet to try it out and now it seems that my source is out of stock.

So what have you guys moved onto?
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2015 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

P7's hard sponge / soft topsheet is great, and is a world away from Rakza 7. 7 soft has a really different feel and behaves totally differently in high gears, but isn't so different in other areas.

It's tricky to get a direct replacement. MX-S is faster, much harder in feel, lower throw, and requires different techniques to get the best out of it.

I'd say that the closest from the recent ESN range is Omega V Asia, which shares the hard sponge soft topsheet approach. It's faster than P7 though.

P7 allows me to attack very aggressively when close in with a big safety margin without too many sacrifices in other areas. Perhaps it's too slow on the drive/block to be a truly high-end rubber (MX-S shines here), but it's a lot of fun for a bumbling amateur like me. I'm stocking up in the hope that someone re-releases it.

So have you stocked up on P7 :P

Have you tried MX-P as well? If so how would you compare it with MX-S and P7? Which one would be better replacement for P7? From what I've read people are suggesting MX-S but with a warning that I will need to alter my game a bit to get the hang of it.
LOG1C1AN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOG1C1AN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2015 at 4:15pm
I have 2 sheets of P7 available in the For Sale section.
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2015 at 4:20pm
If you like P7, you shoul test Donic Acuda Blue P1.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2015 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by unstopabl3 unstopabl3 wrote:

Have you tried MX-P as well? If so how would you compare it with MX-S and P7? Which one would be better replacement for P7? From what I've read people are suggesting MX-S but with a warning that I will need to alter my game a bit to get the hang of it.

MX-S is a good rubber, but I found it to be very different, faster, harder, and more demanding of correct positioning and stroke execution.  MX-P is a lot faster too.  They're great rubbers, but not in the same area as P7 for my needs.  YMMV.

I did get a few sheets of P7 but then supplies dried up, and I looked elsewhere.  I've 100% moved to Omega V Asia now, and I'm very happy.  It is faster than P7 in the higher gears but has the right feel of topsheet grab, low bounce, and ease of use that I need.  It basically throws the same kind of arc, and the extra speed on bigger shots is a useful thing with the slower ball IMO anyway.  So that's the end of the road for me.

Originally posted by Magic_M Magic_M wrote:

This might be a good shout - after all, P1 is very much a recent hard sponge/soft topsheet rubber release.  I've used P3 and P2 though, and they have a lower throw.  I'm using P2 on the BH side at the moment, and it's excellent for me there, but I don't feel that it's particularly close to P7 in behaviour.  P1 might be another story of course.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2015 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by LOG1C1AN LOG1C1AN wrote:

I have 2 sheets of P7 available in the For Sale section.

Hi, sent you a PM
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2015 at 5:03pm

MX-S is a good rubber, but I found it to be very different, faster, harder, and more demanding of correct positioning and stroke execution.  MX-P is a lot faster too.  They're great rubbers, but not in the same area as P7 for my needs.  YMMV.

I did get a few sheets of P7 but then supplies dried up, and I looked elsewhere.  I've 100% moved to Omega V Asia now, and I'm very happy.  It is faster than P7 in the higher gears but has the right feel of topsheet grab, low bounce, and ease of use that I need.  It basically throws the same kind of arc, and the extra speed on bigger shots is a useful thing with the slower ball IMO anyway.  So that's the end of the road for me.

This might be a good shout - after all, P1 is very much a recent hard sponge/soft topsheet rubber release.  I've used P3 and P2 though, and they have a lower throw.  I'm using P2 on the BH side at the moment, and it's excellent for me there, but I don't feel that it's particularly close to P7 in behaviour.  P1 might be another story of course.

So you found OVA to be the best alternative for Adidas P7? I mean in terms of same feel and very less adjustments to your game?
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2015 at 5:05pm

These are the rubbers which I had in mind to give a try:

Tibhar 5Q+
MX-P

Have you got any experience with these? And can you compare P1 with Adidas P7 in a few sentences? Is it similar, better or close to it?
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2015 at 5:16pm

So you found OVA to be the best alternative for Adidas P7? I mean in terms of same feel and very less adjustments to your game?

I feel it's the closest of the new-gen ESN rubbers that I've tried.  I think you'll get closer if you go back to the older-gen products, but I prefer the newer topsheets with the plastic ball so....

The main thing is that I can play the same way on the FH with OVA and get very similar results to P7.  I rely on mixing very brushy loops with more direct drives, perhaps a little unconventional (I spent a long time with tacky rubbers as a youth and ended up with an overly brushy style), so be aware that this might not be the answer for everyone.  But essentially, OVA is less bouncy than P7, faster higher gear, but has a very similar feel with plastic to P7 with celluloid, and performs just as well with a mixed brush/drive approach.  And that's what I'm looking for.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2015 at 5:30pm

I feel it's the closest of the new-gen ESN rubbers that I've tried.  I think you'll get closer if you go back to the older-gen products, but I prefer the newer topsheets with the plastic ball so....

The main thing is that I can play the same way on the FH with OVA and get very similar results to P7.  I rely on mixing very brushy loops with more direct drives, perhaps a little unconventional (I spent a long time with tacky rubbers as a youth and ended up with an overly brushy style), so be aware that this might not be the answer for everyone.  But essentially, OVA is less bouncy than P7, faster higher gear, but has a very similar feel with plastic to P7 with celluloid, and performs just as well with a mixed brush/drive approach.  And that's what I'm looking for.

Yes you have a different game-style than mine, I usually like to attack on third ball and play a lot of sidespin rallies where I desire a medium arc and lots of spin with not too high bounce.

And yes I'm playing with the celluloid ball haven't moved onto plastic yet.
vajica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vajica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2015 at 7:56pm
We also mix celluloid and plastic balls still, and Acuda Blue P1  is horrible with celluloid balls.
Low throw and too fast. It plays great with plastic though.
MX-S behaves much better in both worlds, and so far it is the only other rubber i can play with.
Yet, I still play with P7 untill the stocks vanish :)

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2015 at 8:22pm
there are still lots of p7 being sold and all are legal until end of 2016. If it is of any consolation to you, ITC will be releasing a rubber si@ilar to P7 but with a modified characteristic that you will enjoy.
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
vajica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vajica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2015 at 8:27pm
Sounds great!
Any info more (if not for the public you can PM me Smile)?

lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2015 at 8:45pm
please list the sources for P7 Max Black 

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2015 at 5:09am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

there are still lots of p7 being sold and all are legal until end of 2016. If it is of any consolation to you, ITC will be releasing a rubber si@ilar to P7 but with a modified characteristic that you will enjoy.

Can you please name the sources, I can't seem to find any for black 2.0mm rubbers (other than megaspin who is selling it so expensive and on top shipping is like $50 Cry )

And when will ITC release this rubber? And is it like they've taken over the inventory and science of adidas or will they copy the P7 technology in some way?

Edited by unstopabl3 - 10/23/2015 at 5:49am
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2015 at 5:43am

Can you please name the sources, I can't seem to find any for black 2.0mm rubbers.

And when will ITC release this rubber? And is it like they've taken over the inventory and science of adidas or will they copy the P7 technology in some way?

This is excellent news.  Thanks for the heads up yogi.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2015 at 7:12am

Can you please name the sources, I can't seem to find any for black 2.0mm rubbers (other than megaspin who is selling it so expensive and on top shipping is like $50 Cry )

for adidas p7 try  greenpaddle.com

ITC will be releasing this rubber in December. I think they need to wait for the ITTF LARC for their rubbers to be included. They have not taken over the old Adidas company. It is a new company with the same rubber and racket designer. The designer said the P7 needs a little improvement in terms of hard smashes. So basically, the issues that P7 or Tenzone will be addressed and improved although the quality is not an issue ever since.

Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
buddyc234 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote buddyc234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2015 at 7:33am

Shoot TibiKE a message. He still carries P7 in all sizes/colors. I paid about $35USD.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2015 at 8:26am

for adidas p7 try  greenpaddle.com

ITC will be releasing this rubber in December. I think they need to wait for the ITTF LARC for their rubbers to be included. They have not taken over the old Adidas company. It is a new company with the same rubber and racket designer. The designer said the P7 needs a little improvement in terms of hard smashes. So basically, the issues that P7 or Tenzone will be addressed and improved although the quality is not an issue ever since.

Thanks, that's really good news, I hope they improve the speed on P7 and yes especially on hard smashes :P
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2015 at 8:26am
Originally posted by buddyc234 buddyc234 wrote:

Shoot TibiKE a message. He still carries P7 in all sizes/colors. I paid about $35USD.

I got it from him the first time around but unfortunately he's all out of stock :(
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic