Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Donic Crest Off

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2015 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by the_theologian the_theologian wrote:

Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

I'm done for a while now.

The countdown starts NOW! Smile

Still ticking, still an amazing blade.  I look at other things and just feel that they would never be as complete a package.  Life is good, but very boring too.

Once you try the Hayabusa Zi the clock will reset. LOL

Nope, all done here.  I'm hanging up my wallet.
Sponsored Links

Tuly007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuly007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2015 at 9:17pm
Cannot find in detail info about the Hayabusa zi , or did I missed it, ...anybody would like to enlighten us with?????

The_theologian himself.     Maybe.   Tnx
still testing

qualizon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qualizon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2015 at 9:57pm
Now I wish they make a cpen version of it :(
N656 TG3 Nat Blue/H360
Feedback
For Sale
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2015 at 6:53am
Originally posted by qualizon qualizon wrote:

Now I wish they make a cpen version of it :(

I can send you a hacksaw?  Smile
jackass22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackass22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2015 at 5:16am
Is it crest ar+ in feeling the same like crest off, only slower? How much slower is it?
If dont compare speed, which blade is better (feeling, control in blocking, support of spin, throw of ball) ?
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2015 at 5:52am
Originally posted by jackass22 jackass22 wrote:

Is it crest ar+ in feeling the same like crest off, only slower? How much slower is it?
If dont compare speed, which blade is better (feeling, control in blocking, support of spin, throw of ball) ?

I haven't used the off version, so I can only guess.  But like I said earlier, it's probably like the choice between an MJ and IF-ZLC.  One's got the more woody feeling etc...
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2015 at 10:07am
Andy,
Are the rubbers you are using on the AR+ medium or high on the weight scale and does it make your setup heavy given the blade has a large face.  Does it hinder your game if the setup is heavy?
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2015 at 10:31am
Originally posted by tom tom wrote:

Andy,
Are the rubbers you are using on the AR+ medium or high on the weight scale and does it make your setup heavy given the blade has a large face.  Does it hinder your game if the setup is heavy?

I'm still trying a few different combinations, but the weight is an issue.  The blade face is on the large side, and it can be too much.  I had H8/S3-60 on there a few weeks ago and it was 208g and head heavy.  Which is fine if that's what someone is looking for, but I tend to find that I'm not comfortable above 200g in general.  I find it tires me out over the course of a night.

Recently I've had Omega V Asia (2.0mm) on the FH side and a variety of BH rubbers (JP03, Acuda P2, Zack) and the weight comes out as approx 195g, which is fine for me, and only slightly head heavy.
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2015 at 10:34am
Originally posted by Tuly007 Tuly007 wrote:

Cannot find in detail info about the Hayabusa zi , or did I missed it, ...anybody would like to enlighten us with?????

The_theologian himself.     Maybe.   Tnx

I no longer believe my noobish impressions have much value. But, I think it's a very good blade. I switched to it after using IF ZLC for several months. Zi is OFF-. Very high quality. I got mine from tt11.

Victor the cleaner is selling a mint one for cheap in the FS section.
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2015 at 10:57am
"but I tend to find that I'm not comfortable above 200g in general"  boy you've got strong arms - for me 190 is heavy
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2015 at 11:10am
Originally posted by tom tom wrote:

"but I tend to find that I'm not comfortable above 200g in general"  boy you've got strong arms - for me 190 is heavy

Thanks very much!  I have very hairy man-arms and over-developed pizza-lifting muscles.  It all helps.
Wolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2015 at 12:01pm
@ jackass22 - the difference in basic speed of the two blade is a +- 15% 
and is not, in my opinion, nothing heavy to handle for slightly advanced players . A more significant difference is in the height of the rebound , where the Crest of the AR throws a somewhat higher reflection ,while the Crest Off the reflection of the secondary character . But still they are higher than the Stiga Clipper or Korbel SK7 . Support rotation has greater power Crest Off . 

@ Tom - Balance of both of the blade is excellent and not at all head heavy .
Some of my notes from the tests : 

Crest Off 89g + Tibhar Evo FXP 2.0 mm + Joola MaxxxP 2.0 = 190 g 
Crest Off 89g + Acuda S2 max + Xiom Vega Japan max = 192g
Crest Off 89g + Blue JP 01 max + Coppa X2 max = 187g 

Your concerns about the heavy settings are perhaps unnecessary ?
W. 
Donic Crest Off
FH-Donic Acuda S2 Max
BH-Tibhar ELP 1.9

Donic Crest AR+
FH-Joola Maxxxp 2.0
BH-Joola Rhyzm Tech 2.0

tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2015 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by Wolf Wolf wrote:

@ jackass22 - the difference in basic speed of the two blade is a +- 15% 
and is not, in my opinion, nothing heavy to handle for slightly advanced players . A more significant difference is in the height of the rebound , where the Crest of the AR throws a somewhat higher reflection ,while the Crest Off the reflection of the secondary character . But still they are higher than the Stiga Clipper or Korbel SK7 . Support rotation has greater power Crest Off . 

@ Tom - Balance of both of the blade is excellent and not at all head heavy .
Some of my notes from the tests : 

Crest Off 89g + Tibhar Evo FXP 2.0 mm + Joola MaxxxP 2.0 = 190 g 
Crest Off 89g + Acuda S2 max + Xiom Vega Japan max = 192g
Crest Off 89g + Blue JP 01 max + Coppa X2 max = 187g 

Your concerns about the heavy settings are perhaps unnecessary ?
W. 
I had a chance to try an Off setup - it has a balanced feel (not head heavy) but whether 190g is a good weight will have to be judged by the player.  I weighted my Barwell Fleet setup and was surprised to find it is about 190g.
jackass22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackass22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2015 at 2:58am
Andy have tried acuda blue P2:

Originally posted by jackass22 jackass22 wrote:

Do you try acuda blue P2 on Crest AR+?
Does it suit well?
Could you please describe it.
Thanks.

Yup.  The only blades I own now are my two Crest AR+.  Well, apart from a few curiosities which I'd never actually use at the table.  I'm all-in.  

So I've been using P2 on the AR+ for the last month, with occasional switches to my backup AR+ when I've become frustrated with it.  It suits me very well, in fact if I wanted to design a rubber to fit my BH needs, P2 would be it.  However, it can drive me mad at times too.

As you probably know, it's a medium sponge with a super-soft topsheet, with narrow, tall, widely-spaced pips.  It's medium/low throw, and in play is quite close to something like a variation on Bryce Speed or Airoc.  It's very linear (like Airoc), has good topsheet grip (unlike Airoc...), and is a bit lighter than recent ESN rubbers (a nice bonus).  It's quite fast at the top end and is reasonably insensitive to incoming spin.  In fact, the best description I can give is that it's like Airoc but with a far better topsheet.

So, a winner?  Well, yes - on the whole.  It performs amazingly well in certain areas - blocking and hitting are big winners, spin on service is good (which is nice, because that's where you compromise usually with this type of rubber).  It's also surprisingly good in short game control because it lacks low-end bounce, and even chops OK.

Two main things which I'm struggling with though.  Firstly, it really lacks catapult, apart from in the high gears.  Of course, this is contributing to some of the good features above, but I'm used to being able to play a short, wristy shot over the table and use the topsheet catapult to get the pace on the ball.  This doesn't work - the topsheet is so soft and flexible, but lacks elasticity in comparison with something like JP03, so the ball drops off with spin but no power.

The second thing is probably related to the first to be honest.  P2 works well when the ball speed/spin is up during a rally, and it also makes punishing loose high balls a piece of cake.  And in the "soft" areas of the game it allows a lot of control IMO (pushing and drop shots, poking around).  But when you get a low, short ball which drops below net height it needs more effort to play an effective topspin shot than I'd like.  Recently I've started to treat this kind of ball more like a service return and play bananas against them rather than playing a traditional soft topspin shot, and this works much better.  It's a similar thing for long, high, low-spin balls too - easy to hit them, but harder to loop than with JP03.

Basically, P2 works really well for me and then, in specific cases, the ball seems to stall and drop off.  And this isn't the rubber's fault - it's me, of course.  It's important to produce a solid contact on the ball in some way all the time.  If not, I get the impression that the topsheet is muffling the contact and taking pace off the ball.  So I have to play more actively than before to avoid this happening.

I was on the fence about P2, but after spending a bit more time with it I feel that the advantages outweigh the overhead of adapting to it.  I had a similar phase with Airoc M, and ultimately decided that it wasn't worth the effort.  P2 is a step up from Airoc for me though, so it's won out in the end.
jackass22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackass22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2015 at 2:16pm
I can recommend adidas P7 for donic crest AR+. It suits very well on it. It has medium+ arc throw, not to much sensitiv to spin, easy blocking. Good counter attack. I think, p7 is very universal. Not best in every area, but high average in avery aspect of game.

What do you think about combination tibhar el-p or andro rasant  classic/rasant grip was too hard for crest ar+ wiht very low arc/+ donic crest?

Edited by jackass22 - 11/07/2015 at 2:17pm
jackass22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackass22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2016 at 6:14am
Nothing new about this very good zylon carbon blade Donic crest off ?
Whit rubber have suited good or bad on this blade?
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2016 at 2:35pm
i haven't used this combination extensively, but on the Off, Rasant Power Grip on the FH seems a bit too hard at times so perhaps something a bit softer, Airoc Astro M seems ok on the BH.
jackass22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackass22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2016 at 6:45am
Anybody else? Handshake
jackass22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackass22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2016 at 8:29am
Nobody does play with these blades except wolf, andy smith and I ?

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2016 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by jackass22 jackass22 wrote:

Nobody does play with these blades except wolf, andy smith and I ?

They're cray-cray.  Amazing blades.  I'll never change.
jackass22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackass22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2016 at 9:47am
Samuel Walker playes with Donic Crest.
https://youtu.be/Ae8CRMkuK3I
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2016 at 3:00pm

They look like SoulSpin blades to me...

Talked with Soulspin today on this while ordering a custom blade from them: apparently they did not make this series of ravely reviewed blades.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2016 at 4:52am
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

They look like SoulSpin blades to me...

Talked with Soulspin today on this while ordering a custom blade from them: apparently they did not make this series of ravely reviewed blades.

Well, the mystery lives on then.

It makes a sort of sense with how Donic has marketed them.  They push the "Made in Germany" angle a lot on some blades, which also have the fancy boxes.  The Crest just came to me in a standard Donic box with no indication of where they are made.  

I guess we have to suspect China?  If it were anywhere else (Germany, Sweden, etc), Donic usually shout about it.  Even so, the workmanship is first class and they play beautifully.
t64t64t64 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t64t64t64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2016 at 6:30am
Andy will you share dimension of Crest?
is it 150x157 ?
how thick it is ?
if you can compare it to a blade what will be the closest rival?
is there any benefits on a 9ply comparing to a 5ply normal wood like korbel ?
:)
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61764&PID=734709򳗵
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2016 at 6:57am
It's a pretty beefy blade, 158x152.  Thickness 6.2mm.

It's 9 ply, but 4 of those are carbon and ZF.  It reminds me mostly of an Innerforce ZLC, but with the carbon and ZLF on separate plies rather than woven together.  The feel is softer than the IF-ZLC though - it's actually pretty close to an IF-ZLF for feel.  But it's thicker and stiffer than either of the Innerforce blades and feels a bit more stable and solid.

Thinking back on things, I used to love the IF-ZLF (or Liu Shiwen) but found it too flexy.  I probably like the Crest AR+ so much because it retains the soft feel but beefs the whole thing up, which makes it really good when closer in at the table.

As for the Korbel - it's the same kind of consideration when thinking about the Korbel vs the IF-ALC I suppose.  Bigger sweet spot, stiffer, fewer vibrations.
t64t64t64 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t64t64t64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2016 at 7:20am
this blade catch my attention from a long time ago...
the only thing which stop me is that i feel very comfortable with korbel now :)
it is just perfect balance for me speed vs control :)
but i might in future try this crest AR+ :)
i know that crest off will be beyond my skills :D
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61764&PID=734709򳗵
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2016 at 11:32am
I've been testing a 85g Donic Crest OFF  (ST handle) blade with Rakza 7 both sides. My primary blade is the MJ-SZLC (used with MX-P / Blue P2). Prior to the R7, I tried the Gewo Hype EL and it felt great on this blade.

Thoughts so far in comparison to my primary blade:
  1. Very good blade for the price - very similar to the MJ-ZLC. Perhaps slightly softer and slightly thicker (my Crest is 6.1mm thick whereas the MJ-ZLC are generally 5.75mm thick)
  2. The handle is not the annoying SQ-ST of the TB-ALC but a round ST type (like the ZJK-ALC).
  3. More flex than the MJ-SZLC (no surprise here as the MJ-SZLC is very stiff & the Crest is a bit larger in size). This helps in serves & in opening loops against underspin but I prefer the MJ-SZLC in all other looping.
  4. To me (& this is a purely personal choice), generally, more stiff is correlated with better control. I find the MJ-SZLC to have better control than the Crest OFF though it is marginally more powerful (however, they are both in the same range in power)
If I had the MJ-ZLC, I'd sell that and keep this (better value). The MJ-SZLC is a bit different (because it is stiffer and the composite material is spinnier than ZLC), so it is a choice in what attributes I want and what I can shed.

EDIT: I'm selling the blade here.

Edited by slevin - 04/26/2016 at 10:26am
PowerChop23 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PowerChop23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2016 at 3:21pm
Can someone compare the Crest AR with the Victas Fire Fall FC??

The blades should have some similarities instead of the inner core (FF FC = Kiri, Crest = Ayous)

Also both blades are rathed faster as the Donic WSC. For me the Fire Fall FC was a little too undirect at the touch/impact ...could the Donic Crest AR have better/ direct feedbach? with same speed???!

Thank you very much!
PowerChop23 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PowerChop23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2016 at 3:35pm
And could someone compare the Crest AR with the Innerforce ALC?

Would be nice! Thanks
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2016 at 4:53am
Originally posted by PowerChop23 PowerChop23 wrote:

Can someone compare the Crest AR with the Victas Fire Fall FC??

The blades should have some similarities instead of the inner core (FF FC = Kiri, Crest = Ayous)

Also both blades are rathed faster as the Donic WSC. For me the Fire Fall FC was a little too undirect at the touch/impact ...could the Donic Crest AR have better/ direct feedbach? with same speed???!

Thank you very much!

I haven't used the FFFC, but the AR+ does have a soft feel on direct impacts with the limba/limba outer/inter plies.  I would expect the Crest Off to have the harder feel, and it has the kiri core too, so that might be the better bet for you.

Originally posted by PowerChop23 PowerChop23 wrote:

And could someone compare the Crest AR with the Innerforce ALC? 

Would be nice! Thanks

I've used the IF-ALC for a bit, and it is quite close to the AR+ so it makes for a good comparison.  The AR+ has a bigger head, is thicker and feels stiffer in general but probably flexes the same at the top end, is a bit softer (thicker outer limba plies), and is a bit more powerful in the middle gears, and is more head-heavy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic