Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for new blade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
FreeAgent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeAgent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for new blade
    Posted: 08/04/2015 at 12:52pm
I'm looking to buy a new blade but am pretty uninformed when it comes to equipment.

I currently use a Timo Boll Spirit with Tenergy 80FX on FH and 80 on BH, which my coach says is too fast for me. I tried out an old Korbel but that was too slow. Can anyone recommend a wood blade in between those two?

I've heard the Primorac Off- is good. And I've been looking at the Timo Boll Off-. Anyone have experience with that one? Any feedback would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links

zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2015 at 1:16pm
Primorac is even slower than Korbel.  Any 5-ply all-wood would feel slow unless the player puts in the effort.  Try 7-ply models such as the Clipper.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2015 at 1:34pm
What is your playing level?  Who considers the Korbel too slow, you or your coach?

The fact that you think the Korbel is too slow is IMHO a symptom of the problem that your coach is speaking about.  Use it or any similar 5 ply blade (Xiom Offensive S, Tibhar Stratus Powerwood) for a couple of months and adjust to the slower speed, which is partly a symptom of seeking easy, fast contact, but lacking the ability to feel the ball.  After that, you can go back to your faster blade and you will appreciate the difference. If you are looking for a simple fix, you may not solve the real problem.

What you should be really looking for is ball feel.  IF you want a 7 ply blade, I would recommend some looping blades, but my guess is that you might consider them too slow as well, which defeats the purpose of what your coach is trying to do (get you to play with feeling).
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2015 at 1:39pm
Did you consider new rubbers?
If I were you, I would have changed the rubbers instead Embarrassed
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
FreeAgent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeAgent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2015 at 2:37pm
NextLevel,
My playing level is 1700-1800. I decided the blade was too slow. I only get coaching every now and then so he did not see me hit with it. This is not an ego thing, I have wanted a slower blade as well. I just have no idea what to get.

The difference in feel was so drastic, my training partner even noted my serves were barely getting over the net. I figured I could find something closer to the Spirit. Is it normal when one changes blades to have to adapt and adjust that much to the new one?

Edited by FreeAgent - 08/04/2015 at 3:06pm
FreeAgent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeAgent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2015 at 2:37pm
Egghead,
I've though about that as well. Do you have any suggestions?

Edited by FreeAgent - 08/04/2015 at 3:07pm
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2015 at 2:44pm
Try IF AL or Keyshot Light.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2015 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by FreeAgent FreeAgent wrote:

My playing level is 1700-1800. I decided the blade was too slow. I only get coaching every now and then so he did not see me hit with it. This is not an ego thing, I have wanted a slower blade as well. I just have no idea what to get.

The difference in feel was so drastic, my training partner even noted my serves were barely getting over the net. I figured I could find something closer to the Spirit. Is it normal when one changes blades to have to adapt and adjust that much to the new one?

Depending on the reason, yes. That said, no one wants you to get injured. But the point of slower is to force you to appreciate different but important things about the game and to rebuild aspects of your technique that you have worked around incorrectly by using a faster blade.

Since your coach has a strong opinion on this, I would actually ask him to recommend the blade he wants you to use ans for you to use it for a month to learn it before switching or disagreeing.The thing with changing equipment is that a full appreciation takes time. You are making the change for tomorrow. You are making the change for a period of time to see something. You can always go back if the change doesn't work out.

But when using a slower blade, the feel of all your strokes will be wrong initially. But the same thing happens to me when I use a faster blade. Everything goes long usually and I have to adapt. I usually make the final decision after a couple of weeks in matches and practice.

I would say start with a Stratus Power Wood. If you want to borrow one, I can lend you one for free no strings attached. I loved the blade but I preferred something else. You are going to struggle if you are looking for a blade with Carbon kick. I would have thought that being barely able to get serves over the net would be an advantage for pushing and serving short. Those might be what your coach is looking for.

Those blades tend to be looping blades and are livelier when playing spin strokes vs.  flat strokes.  Just saying.  

Edited by NextLevel - 08/04/2015 at 3:24pm
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2015 at 3:33pm

I currently use a Timo Boll Spirit with Tenergy 80FX on FH and 80 on BH, which my coach says is too fast for me. I tried out an old Korbel but that was too slow.

A Michael Maze ALC almost bisects the TBS & Korbel. Try it. Limba-Limba-Ayous-Limba-Limba construction (like Korbel) but with ALC (just like TBS) between the 2 Limba layers. The end result is that it has much greater dwell in opening loops / short game but enough power (due to it being slightly more flexy than TBS) in mid-distance. You might have to ditch the 80FX and get something a touch harder with it though (like a Xiom Omega V Europe).
SolidBody View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolidBody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2015 at 3:34pm
Try TIBHAR Stratus Power Wood a tad faster than Korbel, very good feeling and control. You can buy it for less than $40.
Fast Feet , Soft Hand
FreeAgent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeAgent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2015 at 4:15pm

Depending on the reason, yes. That said, no one wants you to get injured. But the point of slower is to force you to appreciate different but important things about the game and to rebuild aspects of your technique that you have worked around incorrectly by using a faster blade.

Since your coach has a strong opinion on this, I would actually ask him to recommend the blade he wants you to use ans for you to use it for a month to learn it before switching or disagreeing.The thing with changing equipment is that a full appreciation takes time. You are making the change for tomorrow. You are making the change for a period of time to see something. You can always go back if the change doesn't work out.

But when using a slower blade, the feel of all your strokes will be wrong initially. But the same thing happens to me when I use a faster blade. Everything goes long usually and I have to adapt. I usually make the final decision after a couple of weeks in matches and practice.

I would say start with a Stratus Power Wood. If you want to borrow one, I can lend you one for free no strings attached. I loved the blade but I preferred something else. You are going to struggle if you are looking for a blade with Carbon kick. I would have thought that being barely able to get serves over the net would be an advantage for pushing and serving short. Those might be what your coach is looking for.

Those blades tend to be looping blades and are livelier when playing spin strokes vs.  flat strokes.  Just saying.  
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your insight. My coach was given the Korbel and was biased in that he wanted to sell it. I will definitely take you up on the offer to test out the Stratus.

I will see if I can figure out how to send a PM.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2015 at 4:34pm
to me korbel is pretty fast for a 5ply.  almost as fast as a bt555.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2015 at 6:00pm
I have used the TBS for a few years and currently use Tibhar Kim Jung Hoon. That blade is right around the specs you mentioned you are looking for. 

The W1 Cole sells is close to your specs, as well as a few others he has.

Each company makes a blade or two around that range, there has got to be at least 3 dozen candidates or more.

I would say take up the offer to tryout the blade offered for free.

There is nothing like trying out stuff firsthand.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2015 at 8:11pm

I have TBS/T80fx/Challenger am below 1800 rating and find this setup not to fast. I don't understand your coaches point of view. Perhaps it's a style element he is referring to. TBS can be tuned up or down with rubber/thickness and has decent control aspects.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

FreeAgent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeAgent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2015 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

I have TBS/T80fx/Challenger am below 1800 rating and find this setup not to fast. I don't understand your coaches point of view. Perhaps it's a style element he is referring to. TBS can be tuned up or down with rubber/thickness and has decent control aspects.

I'm having trouble closing the racket and following through on the forehand loop.  I think NextLevel is right in that I need to learn the intricacies of proper technique and learn to feel the ball better and then I can move back to a faster paddle.  I don't think the setup is necessarily too fast, its just for me right now it's stunting my progress.
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2015 at 2:36am

Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

I'm having trouble closing the racket and following through on the forehand loop.  I think NextLevel is right in that I need to learn the intricacies of proper technique and learn to feel the ball better and then I can move back to a faster paddle.  I don't think the setup is necessarily too fast, its just for me right now it's stunting my progress.

If you were getting constant coaching, working on your game 4-5 days a week and were a fairly young player, I would be less concerned about using a fast blade.  But given that your coaching is spotty I think you (well, most player that is and presumably you too) will benefit from erring toward the slower side of things and working on technique and control.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2015 at 2:40am
Stay to Boll Spirit. It's the most popular blade! 
InfinityVPS   -   D80   -   D05
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2015 at 10:06pm

Egghead,
I've though about that as well. Do you have any suggestions?
some esn rubbers in 425 ~ 475 (EL-P, Rakza X, M2, Rhyzm ...) or T64 (fx ??) LOL
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic