Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Identify fake DHS National blade eg. W997

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
qualizon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qualizon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Identify fake DHS National blade eg. W997
    Posted: 08/14/2015 at 12:50pm
It's gotten to my attention that a few of our members and friends in the forum have bought what they think a real DHS National W997 blade (the Ma Long blade) from some online seller, in fact, what they have bought are not the real deal. If you are not familiar or haven't seen the real one from DHS, you actually have no way to tell.

I'm lucky enough to own a real one(N656) and also have seen both real and fake W997. Below is an image to compare the real and the fake. The best way is to look at the font type and size on the letter engraving from the handle.

If you own a "W997" and is not sure if yours is a real or fake, feel free to post your picture here and I can help you identify it.

Cheers.

Edited by qualizon - 08/14/2015 at 1:02pm
N656 TG3 Nat Blue/H360
Feedback
For Sale
Sponsored Links

vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2015 at 1:14pm
I may be naive, but if a bootleg factory can manufacture a blade that looks indistinguishable from the original, then they can also trivially ensure the engraving font checks out as well. The engraving is probably the simplest part of blade manufacturing process, real or counterfeit.
qualizon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qualizon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2015 at 1:19pm
It might look simply to copy the engraving press, I'm not an expert in engraving so I can't answer that question.

But all of fakes have this common problem of not able to provide the exact engraving font type.
N656 TG3 Nat Blue/H360
Feedback
For Sale
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2015 at 1:38pm
So, question #2 then: given that DHS does not have a six sigma quality control reputation (to put it mildly), what's to say that these 'fakes' aren't equally good or better?

minja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2015 at 1:44pm
if this is true then all the w997 and the w968 out there are fake because they all have the letters in 2nd pic.
qualizon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qualizon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2015 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

So, question #2 then: given that DHS does not have a six sigma quality control reputation (to put it mildly), what's to say that these 'fakes' aren't equally good or better?
I won't say these fakes are equally good or better than the real one, but one thing I can say is, the performance of these fakes (w997) are not bad in our normal hands. 

Originally posted by minja minja wrote:

if this is true then all the w997 and the w968 out there are fake because they all have the letters in 2nd pic.
Yes, you are absolutely right. There are only 2-3 legit sellers who are reachable from the public that have the real deal.
N656 TG3 Nat Blue/H360
Feedback
For Sale
minja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2015 at 1:55pm
maybe it's not that they are fake because all dhs blades have numbers like 2nd pic.
maybe they are just meant to be sold to general public even though they are produced by dhs.
Roger Stillabower View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Stillabower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2015 at 1:56pm
And who are these 2-3 legit sellers ?
Shifter
minja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2015 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by Roger Stillabower Roger Stillabower wrote:

I think it's clear from beginning he wants to keep that secret.
This way he can keep the mistery.
Also makes him look like an exclusive person because he claims to have a real national w997.
This increases his status in this forum to a semi god.

Edited by minja - 08/14/2015 at 2:26pm
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2015 at 2:04pm
@qualizon - I have no dog in this fight as I'm not a DHS user.  But I'm curious where did you get this information? Does DHS announce these things? Or is it on of those things they like to keep hush hush like a national NEO version to keep the mystique going?

Also, a difference in font seems like something trivial that may be possible from DHS outsourcing and licensing various factories which I assume a big company like DHS would do.

By the way, how is the rest of the workmanship of the "fake" blade?
qualizon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qualizon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2015 at 2:13pm

maybe it's not that they are fake because all dhs blades have numbers like 2nd pic.
maybe they are just meant to be sold to general public even though they are produced by dhs.

Wishful thinking, but unfortunately that is not the case. People in China who are into the TT scene know very well that W997 with the second font type are not from DHS, however, that doesn't mean these fakes are bad, and there still people who are willing to buy them and find it good.

N656 TG3 Nat Blue/H360
Feedback
For Sale
qualizon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qualizon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2015 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by BeaverMD BeaverMD wrote:

@qualizon - I have no dog in this fight as I'm not a DHS user.  But I'm curious where did you get this information? Does DHS announce these things? Or is it on of those things they like to keep hush hush like a national NEO version to keep the mystique going?

Also, a difference in font seems like something trivial that may be possible from DHS outsourcing and licensing various factories which I assume a big company like DHS would do.

By the way, how is the rest of the workmanship of the "fake" blade?

I got the information from both reading on other people's experience in some chinese forums and my own experience (I have both a real n656 and a fake w997). I also kinda know one of the seller and she expose some info she knows to me as well.

THe workmanship of the fake blades is not optimal, you can see the alc is not cut sharp with a bit hairy edge in some case, and the top limba layer is prone to splint as well.
N656 TG3 Nat Blue/H360
Feedback
For Sale
minja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2015 at 2:48pm
why would you buy a fake w997 when you have access to the real one?
qualizon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qualizon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2015 at 2:49pm

Originally posted by Roger Stillabower Roger Stillabower wrote:

I think it's clear from beginning he wants to keep that secret.
This way he can keep the mistery.
Also makes him look like an exclusive person because he claims to have a real national w997.
This increases his status in this forum to a semi god.

Grow up, who cares about the status in a virtual community, and semi god? come on...

I'm just sharing what I've researched, experienced and I was lucky to know this bit of information that I'd like to share with our fellow forum members. It's up to you to make the final decision when it comes to purchasing such blade. 
N656 TG3 Nat Blue/H360
Feedback
For Sale
qualizon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qualizon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2015 at 2:52pm

why would you buy a fake w997 when you have access to the real one?

1) I'm an EJ
2) I like to experience both the good and bad, so that I have first hand experience to say it's BAD, or it's not too BAD even though it's fake.
3) I'm a cpen player, and they don't make cpen for the real W997, in fact, they only make FL. So out of curiosity, I got the fake W997 in cpen. 
N656 TG3 Nat Blue/H360
Feedback
For Sale
minja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2015 at 2:58pm
how many rating points do you estimate you gained just by moving to a real national chinese A team blade?

Edited by minja - 08/14/2015 at 3:11pm
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2015 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by qualizon qualizon wrote:

I got the information from both reading on other people's experience in some chinese forums and my own experience (I have both a real n656 and a fake w997). I also kinda know one of the seller and she expose some info she knows to me as well

everyone can say this. I don't see any evidences that you know about DHS blades more than anybody on this forum

Edited by piligrim - 08/14/2015 at 3:44pm
qualizon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qualizon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2015 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by piligrim piligrim wrote:

Originally posted by qualizon qualizon wrote:

I got the information from both reading on other people's experience in some chinese forums and my own experience (I have both a real n656 and a fake w997). I also kinda know one of the seller and she expose some info she knows to me as well

everyone can say this. I don't see any evidences that you know about DHS blades more than anybody on this forum

You are right, anyone can say this and you have the right to not believe in what I have mentioned. 

In fact, if someone spend the time to research on this matter in the TT scene in China, they'll be able to derive the same information that I've shared.

I've done my duty as a mytt supporter and fellow member, that's all.

Cheers.
N656 TG3 Nat Blue/H360
Feedback
For Sale
minja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2015 at 4:05pm
I am a true believer of using national products.
I use everything national.
Blade, both rubbers.
Always use national chinese team shirt and short.
Li ning socks and underwear.
Same shoes as zhang jike.

I believe this is what allowed me to accomplish the self estimated rating of US2550

Edited by minja - 08/14/2015 at 4:06pm
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2015 at 4:06pm

I am a true believer of using national products.
I use everything national.
Blade, both rubbers.
Always use national chinese team shirt and short.
Li ning socks and underwear.
Same shoes as zhang jike.

I believe this is what allowed me to accomplish the self estimated rating of US2550

Can't tell if troll or serious.

Either way this is way beyond any ej syndrome out there. :)

Would you do us all a favor minja and post a video of yourself playing?

Edited by DreiZ - 08/14/2015 at 4:08pm
chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2015 at 4:22pm
Why is the font on the "authentic" blades so blurry and uneven in these pictures?  If you look at pics of the national players blades themselves the font of the serial number is very crisp and clear.
qualizon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qualizon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2015 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by chronos chronos wrote:

Why is the font on the "authentic" blades so blurry and uneven in these pictures?  If you look at pics of the national players blades themselves the font of the serial number is very crisp and clear.

sorry, the picture i used as the source might not be in optimal focus, the key is to identify the different in font type and size.

Below is another picture of a real W997, it has better focus on the engraving. Again, you can focus on the 'W', '9' and '0', they are obviously thinner and not as wide as the fake ones.

N656 TG3 Nat Blue/H360
Feedback
For Sale
minja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2015 at 4:50pm
you can always check here when you buy the product

http://www.dhs-sports.com/portal/
qualizon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qualizon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2015 at 5:03pm

you can always check here when you buy the product

http://www.dhs-sports.com/portal/

enlighten us, minja, how did you check your dhs national W997 from the link you listed above?
N656 TG3 Nat Blue/H360
Feedback
For Sale
minja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2015 at 5:16pm
mine doesn't need checking.
it comes from a very special source.
let's call it ma source.
sorry my source.
qualizon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qualizon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2015 at 5:24pm

mine doesn't need checking.
it comes from a very special source.
let's call it ma source.
sorry my source.

good try, troll 
N656 TG3 Nat Blue/H360
Feedback
For Sale
minja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2015 at 5:27pm
I know in your mind you were thinking I'm a troll because national blades don't have sticker.
but maybe the ones you buy in taobao and similar do come with sticker.
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2015 at 5:32pm
Seems like this is no news and has already been discussed here, including the same real/fake pics.

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=70965&PID=866403&title=where-to-get-w997#866403
qualizon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote qualizon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2015 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by vvk1 vvk1 wrote:

Seems like this is no news and has already been discussed here, including the same real/fake pics.

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=70965&PID=866403&title=where-to-get-w997#866403

Thanks Smile, good that someone mentioned it and presented the same idea Clap
N656 TG3 Nat Blue/H360
Feedback
For Sale
aroonkl View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aroonkl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2015 at 5:54pm
FYI.
I have Ma Long Vs bought from Tabletennis11. They have exactly same font like the one you think fake 997. Is it possible that later DHS make  997 for  general wider market  instead off institute? Or may be later batch DHS factory handles 997 manufacture along with MLV?  And use the same engrave fonts/machine? Check at Ma Long V engrave, you will see what I meant.

BTW. Where is the institute located, same building with factory or separate location far away? 

Edited by aroonkl - 08/14/2015 at 5:55pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic