FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Need help with penhold setup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Zachs_50 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zachs_50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help with penhold setup
    Posted: 08/25/2015 at 12:59am
I have a premade racket alrwady but it is made for SH and would like to get a custom racket. I want a CP blade that is light and fast. I like to put topspin on my hits and play really agressively and loop a lot. I play about close to medium distance from the table. I am relativly new to table tennis(about a year playing seriously) so I dont really know about all the option out there. The blade I was thinking about was the Chinese AL CS with FH - Andro Rasant Grip and BH - Donic Acuda S1 Turbo. That was a bit above my budget which is about $160 so anything above that I cant really get. Is this a good setup?
Sponsored Links

IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2015 at 1:01am
How light? Premades tend to be super dinky, and I don't consider them a good reference point for true equipment.
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2015 at 9:23am
IMO I think you'd be wasting your money going from a premade to a $160 setup where you even admit that's above your budget. 

I remember back in my college days when I went from a premade to a custom bat with Mark V (this was before the factory tuned days) and all I can remember is a million errors hitting the ball long. I think you'd be in-store for a lot of that. Furthermore, if you're new, I'd argue that you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a $160 set vs a $75 one... That's not a knock on you. It's just the reality we all go through when first starting out. 

You can get a real nice quality blade for probably $60 or less and rubbers that would suit you well for $30 or less.

Penhold, wants to loop. Okay. So probably 5 ply flexy blade.

Examples:
Galazy W6. I own one. Nice blade. I perfer 7 play myself. (big fan of the Clipper & PG7) But good looping blade at solid price. $34
http://www.colestt.com/wood-blades.php

Rubbers:
I like Chinese tacky. So I like Globe 999 or several DHS rubbers myself. I'm young still and have never had a problem with not enough power so I don't go for the factory tuned stuff (have tried them. meh). But that's just me. Looks like you're looking for more euro rubbers so I'll let others chime in there.

I would think you could find something that could fit what you're looking for on Zeropong or ColesTT.

Edited by suds79 - 08/25/2015 at 9:25am
kitkit890 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kitkit890 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2015 at 11:02am
Try my setup. Very dirt cheap. Bought it for ~$53-$55 only. Suits close to mid table style of play (for me at least) and it could block fairly well. And it's light. Then if you felt comfortable already then switch to a different blade. Probably a YEO since it's the most recommended by everybody. :)
Blade: 729 Bomb (penhold)
FH: DHS Hurricane III Neo
BH: 729 Focus III Snipe
Zachs_50 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zachs_50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2015 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by suds79 suds79 wrote:

IMO I think you'd be wasting your money going from a premade to a $160 setup where you even admit that's above your budget. 

I remember back in my college days when I went from a premade to a custom bat with Mark V (this was before the factory tuned days) and all I can remember is a million errors hitting the ball long. I think you'd be in-store for a lot of that. Furthermore, if you're new, I'd argue that you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a $160 set vs a $75 one... That's not a knock on you. It's just the reality we all go through when first starting out. 

You can get a real nice quality blade for probably $60 or less and rubbers that would suit you well for $30 or less.

Penhold, wants to loop. Okay. So probably 5 ply flexy blade.

Examples:
Galazy W6. I own one. Nice blade. I perfer 7 play myself. (big fan of the Clipper & PG7) But good looping blade at solid price. $34
http://www.colestt.com/wood-blades.php

Rubbers:
I like Chinese tacky. So I like Globe 999 or several DHS rubbers myself. I'm young still and have never had a problem with not enough power so I don't go for the factory tuned stuff (have tried them. meh). But that's just me. Looks like you're looking for more euro rubbers so I'll let others chime in there.

I would think you could find something that could fit what you're looking for on Zeropong or ColesTT.

Thanks for that response. I didn't really know what was a cheap price for a racket so thanks for clearing that up and I'll give a look on those that you mentioned but I was kinda looking for euro rubbers but wouldn't turn off from chinese ones completely. Oh I also play RPB and play pretty defensively there with the occasional loop or flick but I mostly want to block and push there.

Edited by Zachs_50 - 08/25/2015 at 12:13pm
Zachs_50 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zachs_50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2015 at 2:42pm
What rubber would you recommend for my backhand?
interact215 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote interact215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2015 at 11:48pm
I've found Tenergy 25-FX excellent for RPB. It gives me the tightest arc of any rubber I've tried, which makes sense according to what Butterfly says about it. Balls get up and down fast, with a very hard dive down to the table. The best I've tried for my close to the table, off-the-bounce RPBs, and opening loops of pushes with backspin. Even when I don't have time for a good RPB stroke, I've had hard driven balls rebound off my racket and go back for clean winners by themselves. For me, T25-FX has been better than other rubbers known to excel for RPB, such as Rakza 7 Soft and T05-FX.
So many rubbers, so little time.
Zachs_50 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zachs_50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2015 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by interact215 interact215 wrote:

I've found Tenergy 25-FX excellent for RPB. It gives me the tightest arc of any rubber I've tried, which makes sense according to what Butterfly says about it. Balls get up and down fast, with a very hard dive down to the table. The best I've tried for my close to the table, off-the-bounce RPBs, and opening loops of pushes with backspin. Even when I don't have time for a good RPB stroke, I've had hard driven balls rebound off my racket and go back for clean winners by themselves. For me, T25-FX has been better than other rubbers known to excel for RPB, such as Rakza 7 Soft and T05-FX.

Thanks for the response but thats too expensive. I dont focus on my bh too much so wanted something a bit cheaper.
ChasingInfinities View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChasingInfinities Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2015 at 5:55pm
If it's not out of your price range, I think Sriver EL is very, very good for RPB.

My only complaint was that it felt a bit mushy with my Yasaka Extra.
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2015 at 8:03pm
I focus more on RPB for offensive play so my requirement may not suit you but basically I would pick something faster or at least on par with FH for the BH side. That is pretty much what the Chinese are doing. I found it hard to use anything slower/less bouncy for RPB as the stroke is relatively compact there. So the choice of RPB depends a lot on your FH rubber. I would say it is either the same as FH but thinner or go one step softer in the same series.
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2015 at 11:10pm
I like Chinese tacky for the forehand (and in black) but for RPB, i favor a more grippy rubber. Right or wrong, when i'm practicing the over the table loop on service return, I don't want a rubber super reactive to spin. I feel I get an ever so slight larger margin for error. So that's my logic there. I would go something of that sort.

The CNT team tends to favor more grippy & faster rubbers on their backhand so there must be some reason for that.

Right now I'm playing with Dawei 2008XP and I like it. It's got okay speed IMO also so I like it for the backhand.

Edited by suds79 - 08/26/2015 at 11:11pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic