Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

End my EJ'ing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
aNo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aNo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: End my EJ'ing
    Posted: 08/28/2015 at 7:23am
Hi guys

I'm new to the forum but have benefitted heaps over the last few months using the forum as a resource. So thanks - got me really excited about playing TT!

Thought I would ask for some advice to end my 6 month EJ'ing journey. I set out into the world of custom blades on a budget and have tried 3 different blades and a bunch of rubbers - all on a budget so mostly chinese stuff.

Blades I own:
DHS PG7 
Galaxy V-14 
Galaxy N9

Out of those I happen to love the N9 the most - probably for the satisfaction of a stiff OFF/OFF+ with bullet like hits and smashes. And probably for the 5 ply wood feel. I've realised though that I need a slower blade with more flex/dwell to keep improving. 

I'm thinking of trying a Galaxy Earth.1 - a kind of 5-ply HK/HH3/P500/Old-OC type blade (koto-spruce-ayous-spruce-koto). What rubbers would you suggest to improve my looping play?

Rubbers I have access to: 
Black: H3N (though accidentally spilt glue on it),  Big Dipper,  Focus 3 snipe, 2008 Super XP, Galaxy Venus. 
Red: TG3, LKT Pro XP, CJ8000 36 degree, Rakza 7, 2008 Super XP

I've found that 180g is my limit as to what I can play with effectively.

Edited by aNo - 08/28/2015 at 9:01am
Sponsored Links

Uskglass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uskglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2015 at 9:36am
Sounds like we have had similar journeys. I found the N9 too firm/rigid/fast and went to the V14. I liked it but it was a bit too fast for me and lacked the feel I needed as a beginner. I'm positive I'll return to it at some point.

The blade that did it for me is actually the Yinhe Earth 3. It's similar to the Earth 1 but has Limba-Spruce-Ayous-Spruce-Limba. Limba is softer than Koto and should give you really nice feel. Speed is solidly Off- and blade is fairly light which has been nice since I'm using heavy-ish rubbers. 

As far as rubbers I like some tacky with a hard sponge on the forehand and something a bit softer (no less than medium since it's already a soft blade) on the backhand with a non-tacky topsheet. TG3 Neo is my favorite forehand rubber with this blade so far and I'm still in the process of choosing between backhand rubbers. Right now I have DHS Tinarc 3 on there (which I like so far) but am going to try Xiom Vega Europe and 729 Aurora as soon as they come in the mail which are similar high control rubbers with decent speed, grippy euro-style topsheet, and medium-soft sponge. 

If I had to choose between the rubbers you already have I'd say H3N/Rakza7 is probably the best combo but that's pretty individual preference. 
Yinhe Earth.3 - DHS TG3 Neo/729 Aurora
aNo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aNo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2015 at 5:34pm
Yeah that actually sounds strangely similar to my story. I blame ttdb - you see amazing ratings for the N9 and think for $11 you must be getting a $100 super blade.

Would love your review of the earth.3 especially for looping, pushing, flicking and how fast/slow it might be. I was hoping for something slower than N9 but not so slow that it would feel dead in comparison to the OFF/OFF+ blades I have gotten used to. I wonder how it compares to the W-6 which I thought might be a tad slow for me. 

H3N/Rakza could end up a bit head heavy. I was thinking that I would probably need one of the lighter rubbers to balance out a heavy one: F3Snipe, Venus, ProXP are the lighter ones. Backhand would probably be one of those.
IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2015 at 6:11pm
The Earth E-1 is slightly oversized with a handle that is a bit smaller than normal, so lighter rubbers would do best to balance out your setup. I felt it was a bit hard for my taste, but it still played brilliantly- a behaved Off- blade that provided a good loop and enough speed to finish the point easier than an All+ blade. Definitely slower than the N-9.

Chinese made rubbers are usually pretty heavy, like Skyline/Hurricane/2008XP, so you may want to avoid using these rubbers on both sides of your racket.

Personally, I would go for the Focus III Snipe on the backhand, and the CJ8000/2008XP on the forehand. But I'm very used to playing with allround rubbers- I can do what I want with them. You might want something different, which might take a bit of experimentation to discover what you truly want.
Uskglass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uskglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2015 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by aNo aNo wrote:

Would love your review of the earth.3 especially for looping, pushing, flicking and how fast/slow it might be. I was hoping for something slower than N9 but not so slow that it would feel dead in comparison to the OFF/OFF+ blades I have gotten used to. I wonder how it compares to the W-6 which I thought might be a tad slow for me. 

The Earth 3 is essentially the same structure as the Butterfly Petr Korbel just with Spruce instead of an extra Limba on the medial plies. Feel free to TTDB that one to maybe get a better idea. It's the best feel in a blade I have ever experienced and the weight very light. You can feel a bit of flex which, if you use it right, allows you to have some more gears as far as looping in concerned. Push is very accurate and one of my signature strokes is a very quick short stroke backhand loop close to the table, it does wonderful for this so it doesn't take a big strong stroke to engage some decent spin. 

I don't block or hit much so I can't comment on that really. Heavy Chop is decent though I'm not a very good chopper but I suspect it might need to be heavier to get this type of defensive usage of it. It's a solid Off- but with the kind of rubbers you're using it would be edging closer to OFF than ALL+. I had 2.0 729 Cream Transcend on here at first (often my first rubber to test a blade) and it was supremely controlled if slightly slow. My current all DHS setup is much faster and I'm really liking it.

Edited by Uskglass - 08/28/2015 at 7:28pm
Yinhe Earth.3 - DHS TG3 Neo/729 Aurora
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2015 at 9:40pm
wait, n9 is fast?
I borrowed it off of a beginner and it felt slow. Not that there is anything wrong with a slow blade. It felt Like about 1/10th the speed of my zxi. I thought it was just a cheap blade for players stepping into tt and learning strokes 0_0

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2015 at 11:21pm
Best tip to end EJing: start winning tournaments.
When you win you rely more on your equipment and avoid changing to something different.
IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2015 at 12:22am
Originally posted by asifgunz asifgunz wrote:

wait, n9 is fast?
I borrowed it off of a beginner and it felt slow. Not that there is anything wrong with a slow blade. It felt Like about 1/10th the speed of my zxi. I thought it was just a cheap blade for players stepping into tt and learning strokes 0_0
Probably wasn't the N-9, mate.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2015 at 12:49am
Originally posted by TT newbie TT newbie wrote:

Best tip to end EJing: start winning tournaments.<div ="drop-hint" id="drop-to-share-hint" style="display: none; -: chrome-extension://cipmepknanmbbaneimacddfemfbfgpgo/s//dropToShareHint.png; -size: 67px 327px;"><a ="share-btn-"></a><a ="btn-s"></a><div ="drop-hint-bubble" id="drop-hint-bubble-share" style="display: none; -: chrome-extension://cipmepknanmbbaneimacddfemfbfgpgo/s//dropToShareHintBubble.png; -size: 253px 79px;"><div ="drop-hint" id="drop-to-search-hint" style="display: none; -: chrome-extension://cipmepknanmbbaneimacddfemfbfgpgo/s//dropToSearchHint.png; -size: 67px 327px;"><a ="search-btn-"></a><a ="btn-s"></a><div ="drop-hint-bubble" id="drop-hint-bubble-search" style="display: none; -: chrome-extension://cipmepknanmbbaneimacddfemfbfgpgo/s//dropToSearchHintBubble.png; -size: 215px 79px;">
When you win you rely more on your equipment and avoid changing to something different.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
bruceleew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruceleew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2015 at 5:05am
Get the 729 V6 and you'll be happy with it ;)
808ponger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 808ponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2015 at 5:30pm
I would say slap that H3n or Big Dipper on the FH and the rakza on the BH of the N9 and then delete your bookmark to tabletennisdb and don't weigh the combo.
BTY Harimoto Stiga DNA M
ahsq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahsq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2015 at 2:57pm
N9 is 80% to 85% speed of Vega Pro in my opinion since I own both. One costs around $15 the other $120. go figure. N9 does not has a stiff enough kick on the balls when compared to VP. 

If you can pair the N9 like in my signature, you are good to go. 
FS:
Xiom Vega Pro ST 85 grams $80 shipped
Donic Waldner Senso Carbo JO shaped ST $40 shipped

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic