FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Coaching to Student Class Sizes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
albertjca View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albertjca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coaching to Student Class Sizes
    Posted: 09/04/2015 at 11:41am
Hi, everyone. So just recently, I got an After School Program up and started for a small private school. Already placed flyers for advertisement and getting a pretty good reception. I was just curious what is a very good ratio of Coach to Student. What would be considered a big class for a Coach and what would be considered small for a Coach. Thank You
Sponsored Links

tonky777 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonky777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2015 at 12:22pm
I personally believe a crucial factor is the age range of the students. Think the younger they are (especially elementary students), the more coaches/assistants you might need just to maintain a certain level of "order" a.k.a. limit chaos, particularly in the beginning. They don't know the coach and respect has been earned yet. Also depends on how you intend to operate it (huge group lesson for the entire session, some individual one-on-ones on a separate table, etc).

The way I have done in the past is: I take 1 or 2 students on a separate table for about 15-20 min and gave multi-ball training to develop their forehand and backhand. Meanwhile, I had a 1300-1500 lvl player overseeing the remaining 20-25 students on the other tables and making sure they were practicing/rallying what I taught them and not throwing balls, etc. At the end, I made sure there was a huge round robin to have fun and just to motivate/stress to them: "See? You lost because you didn't use the swing that I taught you" (hehe). The program included students ranging from elementary to high school.

Keep in mind, the interest levels will be different for everyone so don't expect everyone to be cooperative at first (although just the fact that they voluntarily showed up indicates some level of interest).
Viscaria
SpinArt/Tenergy 05

Let's just enjoy the good things we get/have access to...
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2015 at 9:20pm
After school programs are tricky with TT. Since most of the kids are already expert players (so they think) I found most of the kids weren't interested in instruction but rather wanted play their friends. Out of group of 12 - turned out only 2 or 3 were interesting in instruction. These kids ranged in age from 12 - 15.

Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic