Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Andro Rasant Power Grip and Rasant Beat Review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Andro Rasant Power Grip and Rasant Beat Review
    Posted: 09/18/2015 at 4:01am

Andro Rasant Power Grip

Weight: 76 grams (uncut)

Hardness: Medium Hard

Speed: OFF

Andro Rasant Beat

Weight: 60 grams (uncut)

Hardness: Soft

Speed: OFF

Andro Spin Fix

This is the 1st 2 rubbers for Andro that I have reviewed. Andro was kind enough to let me try their Spin Fix Gluing Set for their rubbers. Let me mention in passing that the Andro Spin Fix glue is the first kind of glue that I have tried which has specific glue for the blade and the rubber. The bigger bottle with a light green color for the glue is the one used for the sponge and the smaller bottle which has a white glue color is the one used for the blade. I do not know the reason why they made 2 separate glues for the sponge and blade but I guess they are trying to protect the top plies of the blade from having glue that is too sticky and produces a strong bond. Both glues do not have a very strong odor so they are tolerable. The glue for the blade seems less viscous or has a thinner characteristic and dries faster by about 5-7 minutes than the glue for the rubber. The glue for the rubber is thicker and bonds well with sponge. I have removed and re-glued the rubber and blade several times and I didn’t have any problems concerning splintering of top plies of the blade and the glue was fairly easy to remove from the sponge too.

The blade that I used for testing the 2 rubbers is the Andro Ligna Off. With both rubbers on the Ligna Off, there was a slight shift of weight towards the tip of the blade. I think this was due to the weight of the Andro Rasant Power Grip.

Overall Impressions

The Powergrip feels medium hard on impact. It feels as hard as an EL-P but not as hard as an MX-P or Maxxx 500. The Beat is very soft but doesn’t bottom out easily compared to other very soft rubbers. The Beat’s softness feels like a classical Mark V 30 degree rubber but a bit firmer.

For speed, I would give it to the Rasant Beat. It is softer than a T64 and has lesser speed but this rubber is very bouncy and fast for a soft rubber. However, it’s speed is limited up to middle distance from the table only. The Rasant Powergrip seems to be of lesser speed. The original Rasant is way faster. In terms of spin, I find the Rasant Beat easier to spin. The Powergrip may have a more grippy topsheet but I find it easier to spin with the Beat. I have always been fond of hard or medium hard rubbers and I can spin better with hard or medium rubbers because I brush a lot on my contact but the combination of the soft sponge and topsheet of the Beat seem to make very easy looping strokes against underspin. When you loop with the soft Beat you would tend to hit more through the sponge and gives more spin compared to the Powergrip even when I brush with the Powergrip and when I am hitting through the sponge. The Powergrip in my opinion should be used in an off or off+ blade and not on a slow blade. The Beat is not picky on the speed of the blades but I suggest placing them on a medium hardness blade up to very stiff blades. The Beat is good both for backhand and forehand but seems to be best suited as a backhand rubber. Both rubbers have a high arc when looping with the Ligna OFF but the Powergrip has a bit lower of an arc. In terms of blocking for both forehand and backhand, the Beat shines because it is easy to control. Both rubbers are not so sensitive to incoming spin. For spinny pushes and serves, the Powergrip’s spin is better. Also, since the Powergrip is not too bouncy it is controllable on dropshots.

My personal pick for both rubbers – obviously it’s the Rasant Beat. It is a good all-around offensive rubber that is just good on about everything. The Rasant Powergrip needs a bit of skill to fully utilize its mechanics.

Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Sponsored Links

Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2015 at 4:26am
Very helpful, as usual. Thanks a lot. Good to know that there is a soft rubber that can play OK with the new ball, or is it?
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2015 at 9:45am
Yes I forgot to mention that I played both poly and celluloid balls for this test.
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

Chicobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2015 at 2:54pm
If you have tried rasant grip, do you have any thoughts (playstyle-wise for yourself) for comparison versus powergrip?
Stiga Genesis x2 on Nexy Rubicon
Galaxy Moon/Air Illumina Alpha on Andro Temper Tech Off-
USATT 1620...Learning to play vs long pips
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2015 at 2:58pm
Beat sounds like a rubber built from the legend of the Unicorn in this review.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
ThePongProfessor View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2015 at 3:40pm
yogi_bear,

First off - thank you for your many reviews. They are always very informative. Much appreciated!

In this particular instance, I am surprised by your lukewarm enthusiasm for the RPG. I have been testing RPG, MX-P and T-05 extensively over the past couple of weeks (using identical all-wood OFF blades) and have found both RPG and MX-P to be a tad faster, spinnier and more controllable than T-05 in offensive FH play (loop, smash and - especially - power-drives), and equivalent in short play (I play SPs in BH and cannot comment on the rubbers' BH potential). Your review suggests that RPG is rather slow, which I disagree with. In my hands speed is: RPG>MX-P>T05; imparted spin on serves and pushes is: RPG~MX-P>T05 (relatively small differences though); throw (from high-to-low) and ease of FH loop against BS: T05>MX-P>RPG. I can use these rubbers interchangeably with only minor adjustments, with a slight preference for MX-P and RPG, especially when taking costs into consideration. 

I wonder if the glue that you used might have had a role to play (I used Revo 3) ??    

Edited by patrickhrdlicka - 09/18/2015 at 4:36pm
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

Feedback
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2015 at 8:02pm
I had an mxp on one side and the rpg on the other in an itc xr blade which is sort of a tb alc blade. All my drilling partners were saying that when i use the rpg it spins less than mxp and is slower.i brush a lot on my strokes like using an h3 so i expected my strokes to be very spinny with the rpg but it takes some effort. On the beat, i find it easier to spin with.

I have tried rasant grip shortly and i think i like it better than rpg.

AngeloPB View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngeloPB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2015 at 2:50pm
I have been using Rasant Grip and Power Grip in 1.9mm. I have recently been using Rasant Beat for 1 week. The blade is the Ross Leidy Rapscallion (OFF-).

2 things:

1. I really like both the Grip and Power Grip.

2. As to the marketing claims that the Beat "sounds" great, I would call B.S. on that. In fact, the Grip and Power Grip sound WAY better on smashes. On my blade, both Grip and Power Grip make a satisfying pop that commands attention. The Beat, by contrast, is much more muted. It makes a pleasant, but not powerful woody sound.

Edited by AngeloPB - 10/23/2015 at 3:57pm
Nasche View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nasche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2016 at 2:34am
Originally posted by patrickhrdlicka patrickhrdlicka wrote:

I have been testing RPG, MX-P and T-05 extensively over the past couple of weeks (using identical all-wood OFF blades) and have found both RPG and MX-P to be a tad faster, spinnier and more controllable than T-05 in offensive FH play (loop, smash and - especially - power-drives), and equivalent in short play (I play SPs in BH and cannot comment on the rubbers' BH potential). Your review suggests that RPG is rather slow, which I disagree with.
In my hands speed is: RPG>MX-P>T05;
imparted spin on serves and pushes is: RPG~MX-P>T05 (relatively small differences though); throw (from high-to-low) and ease of FH loop against BS: T05>MX-P>RPG.
I can use these rubbers interchangeably with only minor adjustments, with a slight preference for MX-P and RPG, especially when taking costs into consideration. 

I'm testing Powergrip, MX-P and M1 past couple of weeks and my conclusions are closer to patrickhrdlicka's view. On my forehand those rubbers are pretty much interchangeably with small adjustments on the bat angle.

RPG is a fast, spiny mid throw rubber, slower and softer than MX-P and M1, but not by far, it's a really close call.

That is how I rate them:
Overall Speed: M1>MX-P>RPG
Max Speed: M1>MX-P~RPG (smashing / flat hitting)
Throw: M1>MX-P>RPG
Easy to loop against BS: RPG(second just to MX-S)>M1>MX-P *on slow loops RPG has more spin
Bounciness: M1>MX-P>RPG
Overall Spin: MX-P~RPG>M1
Max Spin: M1~MX-P>RPG (you need the sponge working to unleash M1 potential)
Spin on serves is about the same, placement is easier with RPG.
Touch: it's personal, but I like RPG better.

Hitting I like M1>RPG>MX-P
Looping I prefer MX-P>RPG>M1

*M1 is great for looping, it has good dwell time and grabs the ball nicely, but I had a couple of balls going into the net without apparent reasons with a proper stroke and full of spin. It got my attention because I never had this experience with MX-P or RPG. MX-S makes it when you are out of position, but that was not the case.

Overall RPG is a viable option for any offensive player. I don't share Yogi_bear's lukearm enthusiasm for this rubber except for the toxic green sponge. It's cool, but ... green?

Edited by Nasche - 05/22/2016 at 3:22pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic