Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Effect of Composite Materials in Blades?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Uskglass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uskglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Effect of Composite Materials in Blades?
    Posted: 09/25/2015 at 3:26pm
I'm wondering if someone could go into the pros/cons of different composite layers in blades. I've been really enjoying all-wood for now but I'm wondering what the short and sweet difference between some of these. I've only tried ALC and Carbokev, does anyone have a quite a bit of experience with these?

ALC
ZLC
ZLF
Straight Carbon
Carbokev
Glass Fiber
Yinhe Earth.3 - DHS TG3 Neo/729 Aurora
Sponsored Links

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2015 at 3:34pm
I think the main effect of ALC is to dampen out the high-frequency vibrations caused by the ball striking the blade.  I like it best if the overall blade is not too thick because I think blades that are too stiff are not good either.  I don't think it makes the blade faster necessarily, but a lot of blades that have it are in the OFF range.  I think it makes the entire blade surface more uniform.  Some people like the vibration, and others don't. I find ZLC to have a crisper faster feel, but personally I prefer ALC.  ZLF is very soft, a quite unique feel that I have a hard time to describe and you almost need to try it.
Johnny Erasure View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Erasure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2015 at 3:44pm
Another new composite fiber used in table tennis blades: basalt, textreme, unidirectional carbon (UDC). 
Blade: JM ZLC
Rubbers: FH Dignics 09C
            BH Dignics 05
Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=63937&KW=Johnny+Erasure&PID=764628&title=feedback-for-j
Uskglass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uskglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2015 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

ZLF is very soft, a quite unique feel that I have a hard time to describe and you almost need to try it.
Any there any non-crazy expensive blades that have ZLF? Seems like mostly $200 plus models have it.

Originally posted by Johnny Erasure Johnny Erasure wrote:

Another new composite fiber used in table tennis blades: basalt, textreme,
unidirectional carbon (UDC).
What effects does it happen? What blades have this?

Yinhe Earth.3 - DHS TG3 Neo/729 Aurora
Johnny Erasure View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Erasure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2015 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Uskglass Uskglass wrote:

Mr. Levi make Red + Black blades with these composite fiber.
Blade: JM ZLC
Rubbers: FH Dignics 09C
            BH Dignics 05
Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=63937&KW=Johnny+Erasure&PID=764628&title=feedback-for-j
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2015 at 6:22pm

ZLF is very soft, a quite unique feel that I have a hard time to describe and you almost need to try it.
Any there any non-crazy expensive blades that have ZLF? Seems like mostly $200 plus models have it.

Xiom and Donic have blades in the neighborhood of $100 with zylon

Edited by the_theologian - 09/25/2015 at 6:22pm
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2015 at 6:41pm
I have looked at the blade of Mr. Levy that Johnny has been posting and they are beautitful and tempting and if I didn't already have some awesome black tag Viscarias, I contact Johnny to have some made for me.

I once owned a Soulspin Basalt blade and it was very nice, a little slower than the Btfly ALC I was used to but a very good feel.
koshkin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2015 at 7:21pm
Off hand, the biggest effect composite materials make on blades is to make them very expensive.  It is great for equipment manufacturers and equipment junkies who feel they are getting something special.

As far as playing characteristics go, they all dampen high frequency vibrations to varying degrees, make blades a little (sometimes a lot, depending on thickness, location and number of layers) stiffer, and make the sweetspot a little larger.

In my experience, composite material rob blades of feel, so I stopped using them some time ago.  The only composite material that did not seem to have much effect on feel was the ultrathin carbon micro fleese that Charlie of BBC used to use for a bit.  However, I do not think I have seen anyone else mess with it.

ILya < id="hc_extension_off">< id="hc_extension_highcontrast">< id="hc_extension_highcontrast_back">< id="hc_extension_grayscale">< id="hc_extension_grayscale_back">< id="hc_extension_invert">< id="hc_extension_invert_back">< id="hc_extension_invert_grayscale">< id="hc_extension_yellow_on_black">< id="hc_extension_yellow_on_black_back">

Edited by koshkin - 09/25/2015 at 7:21pm
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2015 at 7:28pm
I have a D.D. Valiant combo ZLC/ALC  3+2: Koto ZLC+Kiri+ALC+ 
also have two Basalt blades made by Levi: 5+2 :Koto + basalt +Limba+Kiri
                                                               5+2 :Walnut+Basalt+limba+kiri
Baal's comments seem right based on my experience to date with these blades.  The Basalt blades are both OFF but due to there different outer ply play different but still share a common thread of great control and good feel.  
The D.D. Valiant ZLC side rated OFF+  the ALC  side rated OFF both have carbon and as a result have a sharper strike to them compared to the Basalt blades but they are not as good around the table as the Koto basalt nor do they provide the sense of touch to the ball that one gets with either koto or Walnut basalt. The Valiant has superior control and feel over conventional carbon blades and comparing the  the Valiant ALC side rated OFF  to the Basalt rated off the ALC seems faster.  

Levi blades that I received had no flaws, no need to sand ,felt perfect and gave joy to one's game.  I have only been playing with them a week or so and will further follow up with a review after a few more weeks of playing. Also Jonny as the contact point for Levi was very important as Levi makes custom blades not off the shelf clones so Johnny was a vital link in the whole process.

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2015 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

As far as playing characteristics go, they all dampen high frequency vibrations to varying degrees, make blades a little (sometimes a lot, depending on thickness, location and number of layers) stiffer, and make the sweetspot a little larger.

In my experience, composite material rob blades of feel, so I stopped using them some time ago.  < id="hc_extension_highcontrast_back">< id="hc_extension_grayscale">< id="hc_extension_grayscale_back">< id="hc_extension_invert">< id="hc_extension_invert_back">< id="hc_extension_invert_grayscale">< id="hc_extension_yellow_on_black">< id="hc_extension_yellow_on_black_back">

What you say is interesting, and I have thought about this some over the years.  I would normally say that the more sensory feedback you can get while playing the better it ought to be, so more vibration ought to be a good thing.  So I can see why you would say this and one of my practice partners feels the same way.  Butt for some reason I personally really find it annoying, and really love the feel of a good ALC blade, as long as it is not too fast. I am not sure why, it feels very reassuring when I hit the ball.
koshkin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2015 at 8:57pm
Everyone perceives feel differently, and I have known several players who liked the feel of composite blades more and even one whose tennis elbow flared up with all wood blades and went away with a composite Keyshot due to different vibrations.

That having been said, thinner composite blades seem to do much better since they have some flex and that by itself gives you pretty good feedback.

Personally, I found I like the vibration of thin wood blades, but they do have smaller sweetspots.

ILya
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2015 at 9:01pm
Anyone player who believes he dislikes composite blades but hasn't tried a IFZLC, should try one and revisit this thread. ☺
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2015 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by the_theologian the_theologian wrote:

Anyone player who believes he dislikes composite blades but hasn't tried a IFZLC, should try one and revisit this thread. ☺

I have one - it is nothing special.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2015 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Originally posted by the_theologian the_theologian wrote:

I have one - it is nothing special.

You're not going to get a rise out of me with that nonsense! 😂😂😂
koshkin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2015 at 9:29pm
I do not have one, but I have hit with it.  It is a pretty decent blade, but it still feels a little dead compared to old Stigas I play with. 

If memory serves me right, the composite layers on this one are under two layers of wood, which is probably why it had a decent feel over the table.  It stiffened up considerably when looping, which I did not like, but I thought it was a nice blade for blocking.

ILya
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2015 at 12:19am

Zylon is a key composite and available from Toyobo Corp in Japan and the primary reason for the high value blades Butterfly has been able to produce.  Weaving this material with Carbon creates a high tech composite that has military uses and is tightly controlled by U.S. and Japan export markets.  Companies can buy Zylon and then have it weaved with carbon creating the ZLC but its level of quality is suspect relative to what Toyobo and Composite Materials in the U.S. can create. Toyobo and Composite Materials here in the U.S. will not sell ZLC unless authorized by government export license.  ZLF or Zylon Fiber is very special and has many unique properties that are useful in many structures beside table tennis blades.  The industry is only at the very early stages of integrating composite materials such as  Zylon into TT blades and I expect that this material will be weaved into a variety of new age materials that will be used in TT blades.  
Here is a link to some info on Toyobo Corp and Butterfly:

http://www.toyobo-global.com/seihin/kc/pbo/zylon_for.html
iamj8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamj8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2019 at 7:34pm
Sorry for posting on an old thread but this seemed like the most relevant place to post it rather than starting a new topic and I couldn't find the answer I was looking for.

Can someone who has tried both compare ZLC and Stiga's Textreme?  I am curious because from what I gather, the two both have more feeling/vibration and catapult (less linear) than ALC.

Much appreciated!
A version of Hurricane 3
A version of Tenergy
A Stiga blade...
HarmonicTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarmonicTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2019 at 3:10pm
It is completely different. Zlc has much more speed and spin potential along with ease of touch shots(some might jump occasionally but that's something you can train and fix). Textreme is still just carbon under stiga's trademark and patented name that's all. Textreme I believe is linear but I believe zlc is much more linear depending on the blade composition and plies.
iamj8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamj8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2019 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by HarmonicTT HarmonicTT wrote:

It is completely different. Zlc has much more speed and spin potential along with ease of touch shots(some might jump occasionally but that's something you can train and fix). Textreme is still just carbon under stiga's trademark and patented name that's all. Textreme I believe is linear but I believe zlc is much more linear depending on the blade composition and plies.

Thank you for your helpful reply!
A version of Hurricane 3
A version of Tenergy
A Stiga blade...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarmonicTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2019 at 8:46pm
Zlc is typically more bouncy which is why the touch shots do require a bit in and practice, but zlc is definitely a great choice. Now super zlc is overkill but some pros use it. A few in the us and a few euro players(I think it's overkill tbh...) especially if you're under 1400

I personally went from kevlar carbon which is insanely hard and fast to t5000 to alc to zlc to 7 ply all wood then finally settled down with another alc blade timo boll alc flared fish scale hand selected in Europe which weights exactly 86.5 grams which is lovely btw. I have that and currently have a nexy ace on the way. Went from euro rubbers to h3 neo provincial.
bard romance View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2019 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by HarmonicTT HarmonicTT wrote:

Zlc is typically more bouncy which is why the touch shots do require a bit in and practice, but zlc is definitely a great choice. Now super zlc is overkill but some pros use it. A few in the us and a few euro players(I think it's overkill tbh...) especially if you're under 1400

I personally went from kevlar carbon which is insanely hard and fast to t5000 to alc to zlc to 7 ply all wood then finally settled down with another alc blade timo boll alc flared fish scale hand selected in Europe which weights exactly 86.5 grams which is lovely btw. I have that and currently have a nexy ace on the way. Went from euro rubbers to h3 neo provincial.

Under 1400? Super ZLC is probably overkill if you're under 2200.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarmonicTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2019 at 11:02pm
Lol I'm talking about the beginners using it thinking money gets you places in sports... I know of great 1600+ players using mj super zlc...

My mistake I meant 1700 rated and above. It depends on their style and level of game. Most of them are under rated due to their busy work schedules but a few days of practicing before the tournament they usually place first. They have never lost ever since around 3 years ago switching to super zlc.

Edited by HarmonicTT - 01/21/2019 at 11:04pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic