Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Review: Tibhar Stratus Samsonov CB

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Review: Tibhar Stratus Samsonov CB
    Posted: 09/26/2015 at 6:25pm
Name: Tibhar Stratus Samsonov CB
Weight: 87g
Speed: OFF
Thickness: ~5.5mm
Dimensions: 151x156mm
Plies: 7 (limba-ayous-kevlar carbon-ayous/kiri?-kevlar carbon-ayous-limba)
Handle: ST
Used by: B. Tokic, V. Samsonov (before Samsonov Force Pro)

Background: No official USATT rating, one of the coaches estimated me at ~1650 at my best but this was a year ago. I haven't played since then but slowly getting back into TT. I estimate myself at ~1450 at the moment. Previously played with Primorac OFF-, TB ALC, and YEO. I'm going to compare SSCB to TB ALC and Primo OFF- because these are the last two blades i used.

Initial Impressions: Before purchasing this blade, i did some research on an alternative to a Butterfly Innerforce ALC blade since i didn't want to spend a lot on my next setup. SSCB is a 7 ply limba-ayous-kevlar carbon blade with an ayous or a kiri core. From another review someone said it was balsa but i don't think it is. Since its weight is in the 85-90 range (mine is 87g) it can not be balsa (I've held a BTY BalsaCarbo X5 in my hand and middle core didn't look at all like SSCB core). It does look similar to TB ALC core so thats why i think it could be kiri. Again, I'm not sure but if someone that works with Tibhar knows and could confirm the middle veneer that would be great. I know yogi_bear did a review on this blade but i couldn't find any solid info on it besides the playing properties.

Top ply is superb. One of the best I've gotten so far. Compared to my old TB ALC, this one is even better. Smooth, no rough edges, high quality wood. Handle is also very smooth. I ordered an ST handle because my previous blade was the TB ALC FL and the handle was way too small for me. I was concerned about it slipping out of my hand while playing so i wrapped it in a Tibhar Grip Tape which made it slightly thicker but also more comfortable for my large hands.

Speed: SSCB is rated as OFF but i think its on the low end of OFF, maybe OFF-. I put 2 sheets of MX-P 2.2mm on it and it didn't feel like a speed monster. In terms of speed, TB ALC > SSCB > Primo OFF-. 

Control: Control is relative person to person so i can't say much about it. What i can say is that hitting with it didn't take much adjustment compared to TB ALC + T05. Blocking with SSCB + MX-P was much easier than with TB ALC + T05, this might be due to the heavier overall weight of the setup. Looping was about the same although i felt like i was able to land more loops with SSCB setup than with TB ALC. It could have been that i fixed my looping technique as well. 

Feeling: Feeling of this blade is muted. Compared to the 5-ply Primorac OFF-, SSCB has much less vibrations, but they are not totally gone. It feels like the vibrations are contained within the core. So far I've tried this blade only with grip tape around the handle so the feeling might be different without it. In terms of spring, TB ALC feels more springy and lively. The rebound on SSCB + MX-P felt much less than of TB ALC + T05. 

Conclusion: Overall i like SSCB very much. I recommend this blade for anyone that likes the feeling of limba but wants a little more speed, stability, and a larger sweet than a traditional 5-ply wood blade. For ~85USD its a good alternative to some of the expensive options out there. 

P.S. My 87g SSCB + 2x MX-P 2.2mm feels much heavier than my old ~186g TB ALC + 2x T05 2.1mm. I haven't weighted this new setup yet but by just holding it in my hand it feels more than 195g. However, in game i haven't noticed the drastic weight difference. So far I've been playing only once a week on average and we'll see if my wrist will handle the weight if i start playing more often.

I might try Evolution FX-P or EL-P in 2.0mm on SSCB to see if i can reduce overall weight, that is if i can't adjust. I wouldn't put any hard chinese tacky rubber on it such as H3Neo (unless boosted) because the overall feel might be too hard.

This review is from my first 3.5 hour session with SSCB. I will update it as i go along.

10/2/2015 EDIT
After 2 more sessions with this blade I wanted to add few more notes. The overall feeling of this blade is somewhere between TB ALC and XIOM Stradivarius. It feels a bit hollow but not "as hollow" as Stradivarius. The blade is also significantly slower than TB ALC, so its not the same OFF as the TB ALC OFF rating.

As for the overall weight with 2x MXP in 2.2mm, I was able to adjust so far with only one minor problem. Its a bit hard to bh banana flick/flip close to the net because of the need for only wrist movement.

Hitting during warm-up feels very nice, but it might be due to MXP playing a bigger role here. The ball doesn't rebound as fast and I feel like I don't need to worry about holding back too much. Same goes with blocking. During games I can block a bit more loops but again that can be due to MXP.

Overall great great blade. Exactly what I was looking for.

10/8/2015 EDIT
Finally got to weigh the SSCB + 2x MX-P 2.2mm. 195g!

Edited by DreiZ - 07/19/2016 at 10:41pm
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
Sponsored Links

haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2015 at 8:53pm
Fantastic review DreiZ!Thumbs Up
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2015 at 1:13am
What is the headsize on your Stratus Samsonov Carbon?
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2015 at 1:22am
Originally posted by IanMcg IanMcg wrote:

What is the headsize on your Stratus Samsonov Carbon?

updated* 
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2015 at 5:10am
Good review.  In some ways, you reviewed the setup more than the blade as some of the effects were likely more MX-P vs T05 than the SSCB vs TB ALC.  Moreover,the last time I saw Tokic, I thought he was using a Powerwood, not a Carbon, but I guess the blades look so similar that the color subtlety escaped me.

Edited by NextLevel - 09/27/2015 at 5:13am
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2015 at 8:42am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Good review.  In some ways, you reviewed the setup more than the blade as some of the effects were likely more MX-P vs T05 than the SSCB vs TB ALC.  Moreover,the last time I saw Tokic, I thought he was using a Powerwood, not a Carbon, but I guess the blades look so similar that the color subtlety escaped me.

Yea, I don't have much to go about since I only used this with MX-P. It would have been a better review if I put tenergies on it but like I said before i wanted to find a cheaper alternative. I'm certainly not an ej and haven't tried a lot of equipment but wanted to write a review on SSCB because it's not a popular composite blade.

From the "pro equipment" thread, there was a post about tokic's equipment and that he had this blade but this was a while ago. When I watched the videos of him playing in Westchester, the handle of his blade did look black/red so maybe he uses powerwood with tibhar grip tape or switches between the two stratus blades. So the question is if he uses it now or not, but he definitely used it in the past.
manraid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manraid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2015 at 1:56pm
how is sscb compared to timo boll spirit or alc as regard speed , control(especially control) ,sweet spot?
MJ SZLC ST

FH Hurricane 8 2.15m Black
BH Super 999t 2.2mm Red

rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2015 at 3:36pm
While you answer that question about the comparison to TB ALC/SPIRIT, i would like to know if the balance is as good as TB ALC, IMO TB ALC has one of the best balance and it was the reason for me to move away from stradivarius. 

Does it sit deep in the hand like TB ALC
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2015 at 6:21pm
Compared to TB ALC, SSCB is definitely slower. I can't go into a super detailed comparison because I used different rvubbers on both blades. What I can say is that it's probably going to be slower than the Strad because of construction comparison.

As for balance, SSCB does not feel too head heavy but the balance on TB ALC felt better.

Everyone posts about control, but as others have mentioned in other posts, control is relative. If you feel that you wouldn't be able to control the SSCB I suggest try a true OFF- blade. For me a composite blade doesn't add control, it improves stability in terms removing the vibrations and changes the feel vs an all wood.

The reason I moved away from TB ALC was the small FL handle and the rebound speed of the blade (+ tenergy) was abit too much for me. I feel like at my current rating I wouldn't get to unleash it's full potential. I also dislike BTY prices A LOT for the quality (which is good but not great).

Edited by DreiZ - 12/02/2015 at 6:28pm
manraid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manraid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2015 at 6:33pm
How about the sscb sweet spot as compared to tb alc?

is the blade good for looping and creating spin?

Edited by manraid - 12/02/2015 at 6:35pm
MJ SZLC ST

FH Hurricane 8 2.15m Black
BH Super 999t 2.2mm Red

DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2015 at 7:49pm
Sweet spot is large, but I'm not on the level to tell the difference between the two yet (and I don't have the tb ALC anymore).

SSCB is very good for looping and creating spin, paired with the right rubber of course.
kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2015 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by DreiZ DreiZ wrote:

Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Yea, I don't have much to go about since I only used this with MX-P. It would have been a better review if I put tenergies on it but like I said before i wanted to find a cheaper alternative. I'm certainly not an ej and haven't tried a lot of equipment but wanted to write a review on SSCB because it's not a popular composite blade.

From the "pro equipment" thread, there was a post about tokic's equipment and that he had this blade but this was a while ago. When I watched the videos of him playing in Westchester, the handle of his blade did look black/red so maybe he uses powerwood with tibhar grip tape or switches between the two stratus blades. So the question is if he uses it now or not, but he definitely used it in the past.

he used the carbon with tenergy and powerwood with mx-p. i haven't tried mx-p but from that adj. i'm assuming it's quite a bit harder and faster? if he changes off carbon to all wood.
Viscaria
H3N/T05
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65345&KW=&title=feedback-kurokami
cowboy View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2016 at 6:47am
Thanks for your excellent review. I bought a SSCB too. now pair with Hurricane 8 fh; Yasaka 9 bh. It looks this blade match hard rubbers well. any other suggestion?
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2016 at 12:01pm
Thank you for checking out my review cowboy.

After few more months with this blade i want to add some more things to this review.

After MXP 2.2 FH/BH started to lose its performance I decided to boost them with 2 layers of FTL, the whole setup became heavier than I liked. The extra glue and expanded rubber definitely offset the balance a lot. The blade itself isn't balanced as well as the Buterfly alternatives so I moved onto lighter rubbers after MXP. I went with H3-50 2.1(1 layer of FTL) and FXP 1.9 (no booster), much better weight and balance and significantly slower overall. Played well up until the booster wore off and I haven't reboosted yet. Also noticed two significant craters/indents in H3-50 topsheet which I've never seen before in a rubber (might be quality issue), closer to the handle so not the center sweet spot of the blade. No clue what could have caused it.

I'm probably going back to MXP or FXP 1.9 both sides because the rubber performs very well and I want to have a bit more feeling of the ball with something softer than H3-50. Also there is a significant difference between boosted H3-50 and not boosted and reboosting seems like a pain. With Evo rubbers there is a linear drop in performance after the tuning/booster wears off which isn't as noticeable as H3-50 performance drop.

I think the blade fits both Chinese and euro type rubbers but that's all preference in the end.
cowboy View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2016 at 5:04am
got it. thanks again, DreiZ.
neon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2016 at 10:10am
Hi DreiZ, can you compare sscb with innerforce alc? Are you shure for 5.5 mm thikness? May be sscb is with the same thikness of tb alc? Good review tks.
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2016 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by neon neon wrote:

Hi DreiZ, can you compare sscb with innerforce alc? Are you shure for 5.5 mm thikness? May be sscb is with the same thikness of tb alc? Good review tks.

Sorry i never tried innerforce alc.
Yes SSCB is about 5.5-5.6.

DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2016 at 7:00pm
I'm glad someone resurrected this thread actually.

I've been playing with this blade for over 10 months now and its currently my only setup and absolutely love the feeling it gives me. I'm considering getting a second one as well just to have it as a spare but im also debating whether or not i would want a 2nd sscb just because of "blade to blade" variance. 

Anyway, plays well with 2.0mm MX-P both sides. I occasionally reglue and boost my rubbers with FTL. No splintering whatsoever. Abit head heavy but manageable.

Handle is abit too smooth for my liking but the size of it is similar to L-handle of Nittaku blades ive tried previously (violin, acoustic), except maybe those are abit more squarish whereas SSCB is more rounded but not as round as some BTY handles. Nonetheless the handle size is good for larger hands. I added a small piece of tape on the bottom to have a bit more grip on my palm.

P.S. This is a great sub $100 blade. Sometimes i see it on sale on tt11 for ~$60 and im always tempted to buy it. Regular price is usually ~$83.

Edited by DreiZ - 07/13/2016 at 7:05pm
neon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2016 at 4:21am
Thank you DreiZ, I'm just afraid that SSCB became too flexible with too more vibration, I don't like blades with too more vibration. I tray briefly tibhar marcos freitas but it is fast for me. I want to try butterfly innerforce layer alc but it is too expensive. Innerforce layer is with the same construction but 6.0 mm or 5.9 mm thikness. OK colleague tks and good luck.

P.S. A little trick. Next time when reglued yours rubbers or put a new one.Onto the blade put glue with natural caoutchouc or just put 2 layers of old speed glue onto the blade. Last models glues are too strong and rubber become too tensioned. Last models glues don't "release" rubber and it feel tensioned and control is difficult. I think that manifacturers want solve problem with some old glues, some old glues become too "squashy" after 2 weeks and rubbers feel "dead" wiht less dinamics. Tks. Beer

Edited by neon - 07/15/2016 at 3:04pm
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2016 at 7:37pm
I just received another SSCB in Flared. This version is 79g. Same nice finish. Will update the review on this version as soon as i get to play with it.

Edited by DreiZ - 07/21/2016 at 7:39pm
Boss1703 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss1703 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2016 at 7:45am
Mine is ST without print on the blade and the lens is orange (usually red)

She is the mother of all the sscb...

https://www.facebook.com/pierrefiassemapageping/photos/pb.1655273024705210.-2207520000.1469187733./1802283793337465/?type=3&theater
https://www.facebook.com/pierrefiassemapageping

updated 20.11.10 http://bosscollection.skyrock.com

http://tennisdetablecomtests.skyrock.com

DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2016 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by Boss1703 Boss1703 wrote:

Mine is ST without print on the blade and the lens is orange (usually red)

She is the mother of all the sscb...

https://www.facebook.com/pierrefiassemapageping/photos/pb.1655273024705210.-2207520000.1469187733./1802283793337465/?type=3&theater

is that former pro players version? or a prototype/sample? and whats the weight of it?
Boss1703 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss1703 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2016 at 7:31am
indeed it is a prototype version.
i don't know the weight...
https://www.facebook.com/pierrefiassemapageping

updated 20.11.10 http://bosscollection.skyrock.com

http://tennisdetablecomtests.skyrock.com

doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2016 at 7:08am
I have one and I always wonder. What CB stands for?

I read somewhere that it stands for Carbon Balsa.

Is the core Balsa? I think it is ayous but I am not sure. I don't want to scratch the core to check whether it is balsa.

Edited by doraemon - 07/24/2016 at 7:10am
Blade : Just wood
FH : black rubber
BH : red rubber
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2016 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by doraemon doraemon wrote:

I have one and I always wonder. What CB stands for?

I read somewhere that it stands for Carbon Balsa.

Is the core Balsa? I think it is ayous but I am not sure. I don't want to scratch the core to check whether it is balsa.

As stated in the OP, the core is too dense to be balsa. It's most likely Kiri or Ayous. The weight of the blade ranges from 79 to 90g which is too heavy for a balsa core at this size.
neon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2016 at 2:45am
Hello friends, in site wood-database.com has picture , balsa is more bright than obeche and random tiny opening. Kiri is more different than balsa and obeche. In site has longitudinal pictures and transverse pictures of woods. Beer
danjacob02 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjacob02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2016 at 4:10pm
Nice review mate, I'm waiting for my SSCB to arrive. I asked for one hopefully in the 90-95g range.(finger's crossed) as I tend to like heavier blades. I plan to use MX-S for the FH and MX-P for the BH. 
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2016 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by danjacob02 danjacob02 wrote:

Nice review mate, I'm waiting for my SSCB to arrive. I asked for one hopefully in the 90-95g range.(finger's crossed) as I tend to like heavier blades. I plan to use MX-S for the FH and MX-P for the BH. 

Max MXS and MXP would definitely make it head heavy so even if you get a slightly lighter out of your range the rubber might balance it out abit for you.
danjacob02 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjacob02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2016 at 6:07pm
You're right. Do you think if I use a grip tape it'll help make it more balanced?
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2016 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by danjacob02 danjacob02 wrote:

You're right. Do you think if I use a grip tape it'll help make it more balanced?

Yes it would help. I personally liked the tibhar super grip but ended up ditching it because the overall racket weight was too much for me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic