Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best Unknown Rubbers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2015 at 11:22pm
So I booster cKylin with one layer of Falco Long. That will make it come alive, right?

Uh, no.

This rubber is light years away from the quality of the latest revisions of Air Illumina and Air DefenderS. Not even close, guys.

Right now I'm soaking the top sheet with Falco life extender to see if I can salvage them.

Even boosted 868 (the $5 version) blows this out of the water.
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
Sponsored Links

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2015 at 12:14am
There is a reason these rubbers are unknown.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2015 at 2:00am
Wait for about 3 weeks for the ckylin i sent you. The one you have is the old one
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2015 at 2:38am
Originally posted by the_theologian the_theologian wrote:

So I booster cKylin with one layer of Falco Long. That will make it come alive, right?

Uh, no.

This rubber is light years away from the quality of the latest revisions of Air Illumina and Air DefenderS. Not even close, guys.

Right now I'm soaking the top sheet with Falco life extender to see if I can salvage them.

Maybe you should add one more layer of Falco Long; Some Chinese rubbers need 2 layers LOL

Edited by Egghead - 10/12/2015 at 10:39pm
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2015 at 8:52am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Air AssasinS and illumina are also unknown, but the reason is not that they do not play well. Many, many unknown rubbers out there play pretty good (with good technique of course)/

It sounds like cKylin (older version) may be the one to try on that "way too fast for my level" carbon blade to see if that helps. 
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2015 at 9:19am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

Wait for about 3 weeks for the ckylin i sent you. The one you have is the old one

Yes, but the topsheets are still the same, no?

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2015 at 9:27am
Originally posted by vanjr vanjr wrote:

It sounds like cKylin (older version) may be the one to try on that "way too fast for my level" carbon blade to see if that helps.

This rubber could turn a Boll Tricarbon or Xiom Ignito into a vehicle floormat in terms of speed and dynamic play.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2015 at 10:09am
get some pf4-1, which I've labeled "instant hock."

actually I haven't seen pf4-1 in years
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2015 at 10:18am
Originally posted by vanjr vanjr wrote:

Air AssasinS and illumina are also unknown, but the reason is not that they do not play well. Many, many unknown rubbers out there play pretty good (with good technique of course)/

If you say so, VanJr.
Cybershape Carbon
Ray View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2015 at 10:18am
Is anyone familiar with Sanwei Target National? Not a cheap rubber though, but unknown probably being new and limited in quantity, AFAIK.

Edited by Ray - 10/12/2015 at 1:05pm
Life is too short for defensive play.

https://twitter.com/spinnier_com
fb.me/spinnier
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2015 at 12:06pm
I just got two rather cheap and relatively unknown rubbers rumored to be pretty good (at some European forums) - Spinlord Irbis, and Palio Hidden Dragon Biotech (both non-tacky, Euro-Japanese style attacking rubbers). Will report in a few days.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2015 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

I just got two rather cheap and relatively unknown rubbers rumored to be pretty good (at some European forums) - Spinlord Irbis, and Palio Hidden Dragon Biotech (both non-tacky, Euro-Japanese style attacking rubbers). Will report in a few days.

I've been very interested in how Irbis plays. I heard it has the same sponge as my Waran. Is it an orange soft sponge?
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2015 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by GeneralSpecific GeneralSpecific wrote:

I've been very interested in how Irbis plays. I heard it has the same sponge as my Waran. Is it an orange soft sponge?

Don't have it with me right now, will let you know later.

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2015 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by the_theologian the_theologian wrote:

Uh, no.

Right now I'm soaking the top sheet with Falco life expander to see if I can salvage them.

The Falco Life Expander helped the cKylin rubbers.... a little.

If anyone wants my two sheets, cut to a Korbel, I'll ship them both to you for $8
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2015 at 8:16pm
I have tried the target national from sanwei. It is very spinny but also tacky. Speedwise it's like hurricane 3 commercial. A bit softer on the topsheet with a hard sponge. I thi k megaspin will be carrying this.
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2015 at 8:17pm
Theo, same topsheet but the blue sponge makes it different in perfomanc3.

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2015 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

Theo, same topsheet but the blue sponge makes it different in perfomanc3.

I get that. But this topsheet is pretty pitiful in my opinion. Just a basic spin test by bouncing the ball shows it has nowhere near the grip of any tensor, tg3neo, illumina, defenderS, etc

besides, boosting the old sponge should start to replicate the better performing new sponge
mttgfg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mttgfg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2015 at 8:24pm

I em also interested in both rubbers.JimT did you order the biotech or the biotech upgrade.When you do the review please specify along with hardness.Thank you.
 Also i read that in November Spinlord is  going to release irbis II , should have the same topsheet but the sponge will be harder around 45deg.

Edited by mttgfg - 10/12/2015 at 8:25pm
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2015 at 9:09pm
Pf4 has a blue sponge.
I think someone should look unto the g555 g666 777 and 888 series by dhs. They keep getting pushed under the mat because people now a days are either hurricane/tg3 or no dhs at all.
Im not an ej so xp .

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2015 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by mttgf mttgf wrote:

I em also interested in both rubbers.JimT did you order the biotech or the biotech upgrade.When you do the review please specify along with hardness.Thank you.
 Also i read that in November Spinlord is  going to release irbis II , should have the same topsheet but the sponge will be harder around 45deg.

Now I'm even more interested in Irbis 2. The original Irbis is too soft for my forehand.

Waran's sponge (and probably Irbis and other SpinLord sponges) meets the standard set by ESN so I wonder about the topsheet of Irbis. Is the grip of the topsheet as good as that of modern ESN topsheets? How does it compare to MXP/S, T05, and Omega 5 as far as topsheets go?
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2015 at 10:25pm
there are some pics of the Sanwei National Target

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2015 at 10:43pm

My Irbis has a light orange-yellowish sponge. Palio HDB has a white sponge.

It didn't say anything about upgrade, so I assume it is a regular HDB. Sponge is stamped as 36-38 hardness.

They are both quite light which is a plus for me - the cut sheets weigh about 39-40 g.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2015 at 11:01pm

It didn't say anything about upgrade, so I assume it is a regular HDB. Sponge is stamped as 36-38 hardness.

They are both quite light which is a plus for me - the cut sheets weigh about 39-40 g.

Interesting. It might be the same sponge then. How about the topsheet? In my previous post I was curious how grippy it is compared to some other modern topsheets.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
mttgfg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mttgfg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2015 at 11:06pm

i think the upgrade version has a sticker top right with arrows(on the package), the non upgrade has the biotech logo.

Edited by mttgfg - 10/12/2015 at 11:09pm
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2015 at 11:07pm

Interesting. It might be the same sponge then. How about the topsheet? In my previous post I was curious how grippy it is compared to some other modern topsheets.

Haven't played with it yet but tomorrow I will. Then I will report back with some initial impressions. I put Irbis on one side, Palio HD Biotech on the other.

mttgfg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mttgfg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2015 at 11:08pm
yogi does the sanwei target national justify its price, since is same or more then dhs hurricane skyline neo series?
ahsq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahsq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2015 at 11:34pm
I thought the whole purpose of getting a "Best Unknown Rubbers" is for the price reason. If the Irbis costs $20 and target costs $25, what the heck is the point? Might as well pay $10 more and get a legitimate ESN rubber for $35.

Thumbs Down
FS:
Xiom Vega Pro ST 85 grams $80 shipped
Donic Waldner Senso Carbo JO shaped ST $40 shipped

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2015 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by ahsq ahsq wrote:

I thought the whole purpose of getting a "Best Unknown Rubbers" is for the price reason. If the Irbis costs $20 and target costs $25, what the heck is the point? Might as well pay $10 more and get a legitimate ESN rubber for $35.

Thumbs Down

Agreed. Even the Palio Tensors are less than $30

get some five dollar sheets of 868 and boost the sponge. case closed
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2015 at 11:40pm
Bedt unknown is not purely about price. You need to know the quality as well.
Cybershape Carbon
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2015 at 12:13am

Bedt unknown is not purely about price. You need to know the quality as well.

Exactly.

Let's say you are comparing a Donic Bluefire rubber (a well known tensor series) with some unknown rubber. Now, let's say they cost exactly the same. You try out both and find out that you actually think that the unknown rubber plays better for you. Are you going to purchase Bluefire only because it's "known" and "popular"? Even when the unknown rubber gives you better results?
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic