Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Andro Rasant versions: let's sort it out

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Andro Rasant versions: let's sort it out
    Posted: 10/04/2015 at 11:23am
We're up to six versions now? It's a bit confusing. At a minimum, I'd like to figure out the release date (when it actually hit the market) and sponge hardness for each version. And I also want to know which share the same topsheet (if any, since they each have their own labeling).

Rasant Version
Year of Release
Sponge Hardness
Rasant
Rasant Turbo
Rasant Powersponge
Rasant Powergrip
Rasant Grip
Rasant Beat

I'll update this first post as the data rolls in and will try to make a user-friendly chart of some sort (chart 1.0 now released).

Updated with the release years provided by zeio. If you see any discrepancies, let me know.

Updated with sponge hardnesses for Rasant, Turbo, and Powersponge. Taken from here: http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=24689

Updated with sponge hardnesses for Powergrip and Grip. Taken from here: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65944

Updated with sponge hardness for Beat. AndySmith has spoken

Updated: zeio found Andro Japan's site and noted that all sponge hardnesses are listed http://www.andro.jp/?item_cat=rubber

playing around with a chart....

Edited by the_theologian - 10/05/2015 at 6:11am
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
Sponsored Links

zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2015 at 1:22pm
Rasant was like 2012
Rasant Turbo 2013
Rasant Powersponge 2013
Rasant Grip 2014
Rasant Powergrip 2014
Rasant Beat 2015

For exact hardness, just check it out at the Andro official site.  Rasant Powergrip > Grip =? Turbo > Rasant > Powersponge >=? Beat
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2015 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

Rasant was like 2012
Rasant Turbo 2013
Rasant Powersponge 2013
Rasant Grip 2014
Rasant Powergrip 2014
Rasant Beat 2015

For exact hardness, just check it out at the Andro official site.  Rasant Powergrip > Grip =? Turbo > Rasant > Powersponge >=? Beat

Thanks for getting this started zeio.

btw I checked Andro's site but I don't see sponge hardness in degrees
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2015 at 1:43pm
Then I'd also like to sort out which share the same topsheet (if any).

Edited by the_theologian - 10/04/2015 at 2:01pm
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2015 at 2:31pm
One of the most confusing things about this series is the fact that the "powersponge" is 40deg. Then, they turn around and make the "powergrip" 50deg??? 
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2015 at 3:25pm
I played with (and like) rasant a few years ago. But i agree "it is a bit confusing" and that is saying something for an EJ like me. It is so confusing I do not think it is worth any effort on my part to figure it out. Simply bad marketing if you ask me. Kind of like how Mark V had all those versions a longer time ago. 
ThePongProfessor View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2015 at 3:46pm
I am guessing that PG, G and Beat have the same 2nd generation topsheet, while Rasant, Turbo, and Powersponge have the same 1st generation top sheet.     

Edited by patrickhrdlicka - 10/04/2015 at 3:48pm
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

Feedback
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2015 at 3:54pm
i thought one of the rasants were around 37.5 degrees, is it beat?

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2015 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by patrickhrdlicka patrickhrdlicka wrote:

I am guessing that PG, G and Beat have the same 2nd generation topsheet, while Rasant, Turbo, and Powersponge have the same 1st generation top sheet.     

Almost.

Original Rasant was very similar to Bluefire M1.  Just a different pip configuration, lower throw.  1st gen I suppose.
Turbo and Powersponge were like the Bluefire JP range, again slightly different pip layout, lower throw.  2nd gen.
Grip and Powergrip are in that nether region between ranges.  Sort of like JP02 was a JP topsheet but on a larger-pore sponge (like an untuned M sponge).  Close to JP02 and JP01 Turbo, but again noticeable differences.   2.5 gen, a mix of various bits old and new.
Beat is totally new.  37.5 degree, super-soft topsheet like Acuda Blue.  3rd gen.

From memory, zeio has the years and order of release correct.  Softness levels haven't been available on all the Andro packaging over the years so I don't think you'll get accurate figures.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2015 at 4:24pm
Andy,

Are you saying that Turbo and Powersponge are the exact same topsheet? (Other than stamped wording of course. And same question for Grip and Powergrip.)

Edited by the_theologian - 10/04/2015 at 4:25pm
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2015 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by the_theologian the_theologian wrote:

Andy,

Are you saying that Turbo and Powersponge are the exact same topsheet? (Other than stamped wording of course. And same question for Grip and Powergrip.)

I'm not sure.  They're from the same generation though, if you get my meaning.  Like, the original Rasant had the shiny topsheet you see in Bluefire M.  Then Turbo and Powersponge had the matt look of the Bluefire JP range (and same grippy feel).  And then Grip and Powergrip remain matt/grippy, but have different sponge types underneath them.  And now Beat is totally different once again.

But are they identical topsheets?  I don't know.  Could easily be pip differences.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2015 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Andy,

I'm not sure.  They're from the same generation though, if you get my meaning.  Like, the original Rasant had the shiny topsheet you see in Bluefire M.  Then Turbo and Powersponge had the matt look of the Bluefire JP range (and same grippy feel).  And then Grip and Powergrip remain matt/grippy, but have different sponge types underneath them.  And now Beat is totally different once again.

But are they identical topsheets?  I don't know.  Could easily be pip differences.

Thanks for your EJ contribution Big smile
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2015 at 12:52am
Don't know why Andro Germany chooses not to but Andro Japan shows hardness in degrees instead.  The figures above are accurate to the degree.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2015 at 12:56am

Don't know why Andro Germany chooses not to but Andro Japan shows hardness in degrees instead.  The figures above are accurate to the degree.

Good find zeio!
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2015 at 3:38am

Good find zeio!

Yes, very nice!
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2015 at 6:16am
chart 1.0 has been published
kevo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2015 at 11:31am
I used Rasant Turbo on my FH for two years and a bit and loved it but found it lacked grip and spin--speed was same I thought--with the new f*&^n' poly ball.  So I switched to the Powergrip which I also now love.  The Powergrip is definitely a different topsheet to Turbo.  It is amazingly grippy.  Great rubber, reasonably--compared to Tenergy--priced and two months in of 3 sessions a week, pretty durable.

Oh, and the sponge feels much harder to me than the Turbo.  Chart 1.0 looks about right to me.  Cheers!
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2015 at 11:49am
One of my teammates has used Aurus for ages, but has struggled a lot with plastic.  He switched last week to Rasant Grip and is much happier.  Says he can feel the ball again, whatever that means.  He seems much happier anyway.
kevo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2015 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

One of my teammates has used Aurus for ages, but has struggled a lot with plastic.  He switched last week to Rasant Grip and is much happier.  Says he can feel the ball again, whatever that means.  He seems much happier anyway.

I know what he means, Andy. You can feel it stick into the topsheet on serves, slow loops, pushes and such which I couldn't using older Rasant w/the new ball.  The topsheet is thinner, I think and the rubber is gloopier, to use the technical term.Wink
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2015 at 12:07pm
mmm... gloopy... sounds yummy
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2015 at 12:30pm
so, Rasant Grip... where would this fall in relation to MX-P and EL-P, in terms of hardness and grippiness
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2015 at 12:41pm

so, Rasant Grip... where would this fall in relation to MX-P and EL-P, in terms of hardness and grippiness

Overall hardness is closest to EL-P. Evolution's topsheet is last-gen, similar to Bluefire M. Very grippy but...well, I feel that they slip a bit on soft contact. You have to get the topsheet stretching to avoid it. Newer gen topsheets like RG are softer, different composition, not shiny. I feel more secure with the newer stuff. Good technique probably avoids all issues though, and better players won't have this sensation.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2015 at 12:42pm
MX-P is slightly harder (~46.5 vs 45), tackier, but IMO produces slightly less spin (ball sinks more into sponge with the RG)...MX-P is a little faster. I have never tried EL-P.

Edited by patrickhrdlicka - 10/05/2015 at 12:45pm

Feedback
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2015 at 12:44pm
thanks gents,

would it also be fair to say that R Grip would produce a tighter, more "loopy" arc than EL-P and MX-P
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2015 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by patrickhrdlicka patrickhrdlicka wrote:

MX-P is slightly harder (~46.5 vs 45)...

by the way, where did you find hardness levels for the Evo series?
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2015 at 12:48pm
Let me put it like this: If my game was based on a spinny slow 1st loop, I would pick RG. If instead, I want to make fast loop drives and more direct hits, I would opt for MX-P. Both are great rubbers, with excellent durability. 

Feedback
ahsq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahsq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2015 at 5:24pm
RPG came alive on a 5-ply all wood OFF blade. Felt dead on a 5+2 Zephylium carbon blade. 
FS:
Xiom Vega Pro ST 85 grams $80 shipped
Donic Waldner Senso Carbo JO shaped ST $40 shipped

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2015 at 5:28pm
How to make any rubber come alive on any blade: good technique.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
ahsq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahsq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2015 at 5:36pm
try to say that again after playing 729 OEM against my MX-P.
FS:
Xiom Vega Pro ST 85 grams $80 shipped
Donic Waldner Senso Carbo JO shaped ST $40 shipped

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2015 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by ahsq ahsq wrote:

try to say that again after playing 729 OEM against my MX-P.

I will play $8 Dawei XP2008 on a $20 Dawei Quattro Limba vs your MX-P but that is not my point. My point is that the sounder your technique is, the more your decisions about rubbers in the same class becomes more about preferences than objective superiority.

Rasant Grip is a great rubber. I used it as my first plastic ball rubber and dis pretty well with it.

Edited by NextLevel - 10/05/2015 at 5:46pm
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic