FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Sad how few posts here

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
wilkinru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sad how few posts here
    Posted: 10/06/2015 at 6:43pm
I take a week or so off of TT. (my back was hurting and I cannot watch or read without a huge desire to practice)

I come back and I see lots and lots of equipment new threads, but only two in Coaching!

Guess everyone's game is so good all that matters is equipment.
TB ZLF
inverted
inverted
Sponsored Links

sneakysidespin View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sneakysidespin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2015 at 6:52pm
I often have coaching questions, but I always check to see if my questions have been answered in another thread first. Most of the time, I will find a thread that answers it. Maybe others do the same?

I wouldn't mind asking for tips etc.. But if it already answered elsewhere I won't bother.

NB: I am new here, and kinda unsure about posting all of the time.

Edited by sneakysidespin - 10/06/2015 at 6:53pm
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2015 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by sneakysidespin sneakysidespin wrote:

I often have coaching questions, but I always check to see if my questions have been answered in another thread first. Most of the time, I will find a thread that answers it. Maybe others do the same?

I wouldn't mind asking for tips etc.. But if it already answered elsewhere I won't bother.

NB: I am new here, and kinda unsure about posting all of the time.

Please ask for tips as often as you would like.  Although this is primarily an EJ forum, I much prefer coaching/tips, anything but EJ questions.  Every question an EJ could ask has been asked many times before, but they still ask again, but sometimes with a little twist to make the question seem like a new one. 
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2015 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

Every question an EJ could ask has been asked many times before, but they still ask again, but sometimes with a little twist to make the question seem like a new one. 

Glad you're enjoying yourself here.
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2015 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by wilkinru wilkinru wrote:

I take a week or so off of TT. (my back was hurting and I cannot watch or read without a huge desire to practice)

I come back and I see lots and lots of equipment new threads, but only two in Coaching!

Almost every forummer here knows that equipment is 90% of success, luck is 9% and practice is... ehh, ok... 1%. Coaching? c'mon... just waste of money Smile
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2015 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Almost every forummer here knows that equipment is 90% of success, luck is 9% and practice is... ehh, ok... 1%. Coaching? c'mon... just waste of money Smile

Love your answer. Clap
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2015 at 10:09pm
TT Edge.  At least the information comes from real coaches with real coaching credentials as opposed to some unknown people on the internet.
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sneakysidespin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2015 at 10:28pm
Thanks mts388 I appreciate it. I will post some of my problems if I can't find a thread about it. I see a coach ( spasmodically) but not often enough to answer all my questions.

Cheers.
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2015 at 10:34pm
YouTube... TT-Edge... Pingskills... Brian Pace (Dynamic TT?)... Etc. Those are where you want to look for legit coaching.

On this forum you will find links and resources about coaching, along with discussion about table tennis culture in general, which includes equipment. However, crowd-sourced coaching and playing advice (or any kind of advice) on this forum is not so good. "How can I hit a spinny loop?" "How do I return a good serve." "I'm a beginner, which racket is better for me, Viscaria or "......

Edited by LOOPMEISTER - 10/06/2015 at 10:34pm
Argothman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argothman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2015 at 12:19am
The answer is always Viscaria. ;)

I just find it much more helpful to either study videos on my own or to ask the better players in our club for help. Text is not the best medium for coaching.
wilkinru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2015 at 1:26pm

It's odd how the guy on the far side of the table uses a beginner/intermed blade (rubbers were fast/modern) and still produces some amazing shots. Of course EJing would really allow him to open up his game.

Also of course viscaria is always the answer.

Edited by wilkinru - 10/07/2015 at 1:27pm
TB ZLF
inverted
inverted
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2015 at 1:44pm

It's odd how the guy on the far side of the table uses a beginner/intermed blade (rubbers were fast/modern) and still produces some amazing shots. Of course EJing would really allow him to open up his game.

Obviously he just changed the handles on a Stratus Carbon
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2015 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by the_theologian the_theologian wrote:

Obviously he just changed the handles on a Stratus Carbon

He's actually reviewing his all wood blade line before introducing his new carbon blade for advanced players.  So the blades he is using in that video are all wood.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2015 at 1:54pm
Lol. I know. It was a joke.
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2015 at 2:54pm
Used to be the same regarding equipment Questions versus coaching Questions. Always felt there was to much of the first and not enough of the later. But, think about it, new equipment hits the market every day (perhaps not, but often enough to get this feeling) but when was the last time you heard about some new revolutionary coaching?

Also, coaching demands a lot from the guy giving the advice and unless a video is posted, it will be general advice that can easily be found all over the net.

With equipment, all that is needed is an opinion and we can all have a very personal opinion about it, regardless of our level.
The holy grail
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2015 at 3:11pm

I see a coach ( spasmodically) but not often enough to answer all my questions.

Cheers.

You don't need a coach.  You need a doctor to help you with those spasms.
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2015 at 3:42pm
I was just talking with my son about the lack of coaching many players take advantage of.  It's amazing to me that so many people at the club, and many clubs for that matter stay about the same level year after year. They rarely try out new serves, or try to improve their technique. Instead they go out and buy a new super-fast carbon racket or some expensive new rubber, but when you ask them about coaching...it's always I can't afford it, I don't have time, or some other excuse.  I've never had that mentality...I always like to do well in whatever I'm doing so if I can find some expert to teach me then I'm happy to take lessons. It's also amazing to me how little thought many people put into the game. When I sit and talk with some people and ask them why they use that rubber, or what they think they should improve on they don't usually have a good answer. I'm always happy to help people improve their game, but some people I just leave alone cause they don't really want to listen or change. They'd rather go out and buy a new blade or rubber.
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
wilkinru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2015 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by Speedplay Speedplay wrote:

but when was the last time you heard about some new revolutionary coaching?

Sure a video is nice. NL posts videos. It's great.
I don't mind people talking about equipment, I just love learning about the game.
TB ZLF
inverted
inverted
mycuzinvinny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycuzinvinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2015 at 4:35pm
Larry Hodges has a blog too.  There are occasional coaching tips he includes in his posts.  Additionally, he has a tip of the week.

http://www.tabletenniscoaching.com/blog
http://www.tabletenniscoaching.com/TipOfTheWeek

Edited by mycuzinvinny - 10/07/2015 at 4:40pm
zzzuppp View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zzzuppp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2015 at 4:40pm
Most TT Forums are dominated by Equipment discussions, as if the equipment was more important than skill and technique in making you a better player.
There was even a thread about which socks to wear recently...Confused
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2015 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by AcudaDave AcudaDave wrote:

I was just talking with my son about the lack of coaching many players take advantage of.  It's amazing to me that so many people at the club, and many clubs for that matter stay about the same level year after year. They rarely try out new serves, or try to improve their technique. Instead they go out and buy a new super-fast carbon racket or some expensive new rubber, but when you ask them about coaching...it's always I can't afford it, I don't have time, or some other excuse. ber.

But they are often quite right about the fact they simply do not have time - they are amateurs. They have 8 or 12 hour a day jobs and families, not to mention a lot of  them cannot pay 50-100 dollars an hour to be coached by good coaches... and naturally one or two sessions is not going to do much.

Also people in their 40-50s also cannot - on a purely physical level - do what usually is required to substantially raise their level.

They do what they can in the time they have. They love the game and they try to come to the club as often as possible. Or at least that's what I see in most of my clubmates.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2015 at 4:52pm
Great points, Jim.

I'm not sure about what is physically required to raise their level though - plenty of what has raised my level the past 4 years is hardly physical in the traditional sense and more often technical as I am in worse physical shape than when I started playing.

But I agree that coaching is often too expensive, and that many players do what they can. Some of them do things suboptimally because they don't know better, but ultimately, as long as more people are having fun playing club level table tennis, I am happier for it.
Cybershape Carbon
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2015 at 5:05pm
On the Drinkhall video link above: his playing level is amazing seeing (among other things) the power differential between Paul's strokes and Dan's (and Dan is a very good player). Obviously, besides near perfect technique and timing, a lifetime of hard drilling also build the unseen 'table tennis muscles'.

I'd love to see Paul ask Tibhar to sponsor him to come to the US to promote Tibhar's blades and rubbers. At least the northeastern US members can pool together to host him as he visits clubs / conducts clinics and takes part in tournaments in the NYC region.

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2015 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

On the Drinkhall video link above: his playing level is amazing seeing (among other things) the power differential between Paul's strokes and Dan's (and Dan is a very good player). Obviously, besides near perfect technique and timing, a lifetime of hard drilling also build the unseen 'table tennis muscles'.

I'd love to see Paul ask Tibhar to sponsor him to come to the US to promote Tibhar's blades and rubbers. At least the northeastern US members can pool together to host him as he visits clubs / conducts clinics and takes part in tournaments in the NYC region.

Ah, you want him to raffle free sheets of MX-P...
Cybershape Carbon
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2015 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Ah, you want him to raffle free sheets of MX-P...

No, I'd like to see him play up-close - I don't him to pay for my equipment or EJ habits. Smile

It's sad - I lived in London for many years and recently moved to the US. Wish I had taken up TT back then - it is so easy from there to travel to see great tournament TT.

Regarding the main topic: that's not a big deal to me. Just because members don't post a lot of coaching / strategy stuff here does not mean that they don't spend good time on it when they're at the club with their coaches / other players.
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sneakysidespin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2015 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I see a coach ( spasmodically) but not often enough to answer all my questions.

Cheers.

You don't need a coach.  You need a doctor to help you with those spasms.

This isn't webmd.com!?!

Edited by sneakysidespin - 10/07/2015 at 5:24pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic