Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is it bad to reglue rubbers?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
realmisr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote realmisr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is it bad to reglue rubbers?
    Posted: 10/11/2015 at 1:28pm
Question -

Is it bad to reglue rubbers fairly consistently and swap them to other blades?

Does it mess with the integrity of the rubber once you pull it off and transfer it to another blade? Like does it lose a certain % of performance every time?

I'm not even questioning removing the glue and leaving holes in the sponge because I use tearmender and it's really easy to peel off and not damage the sponge.

Aside from the potential shrinkage via tenergies, are there any bad points about transfering/regluing rubbers?

Edited by realmisr - 10/11/2015 at 1:28pm
Sponsored Links

GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2015 at 1:37pm
As long as the sponge isn't damaged or you don't trim the rubber to fit a smaller blade (incase you want to move it back to a larger blade), there is no harm in regluing rubbers.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2015 at 2:30pm
"potential shrinkage via tenergies" ???

realmisr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote realmisr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2015 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by vvk1 vvk1 wrote:

"potential shrinkage via tenergies" ???

Have you not experienced shrinkage after removing tenergies? I think the trick is to not roll them onto the blade because it stretches them out...And when you stretch it out, once you take it off, you get a gap around the blade if you try to glue it back on.

I've come to just VERY lightly roll it on and just press down instead of trying to stretch it. Also leaving a little bit of room when cutting it helps...
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2015 at 4:36pm
I never stretch the rubber.  I roll it on gently so as to only make sure there is no air gap, but my Tenergies still shrink and cannot be glue onto another blade without leaving a gap. 
realmisr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote realmisr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2015 at 4:39pm
:( how ironic that the one of the most sought out (and expensive) rubbers give us problems like being able to reuse them properly...Ugh butterfly capitalizing! 
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2015 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I never stretch the rubber.  I roll it on gently so as to only make sure there is no air gap, but my Tenergies still shrink and cannot be glue onto another blade without leaving a gap. 

I had similar experience with MX-P and 5Q.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2015 at 4:58pm
Funny thing is it hasn't happened every time.  I wonder if it had something to do with the glue?  This was with Finezip.  I usually glue rubber on and use it until it is worn out and then throw it away, this was a rare time when I wanted to try a different blade and didn't want to buy new rubber.  I was a bit surprised because there are at least couple of times with Tenergy where shrinkage wasn't as severe.

I am not much of an EJ, so I am sure other people have a lot more experience with this.

In any case, modern rubbers are not designed to be reguled repeatedly.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2015 at 5:13pm
You should re-glue rubbers periodically, it 're-sets' the sponge.
The Older I get, The better I was.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2015 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

This has been my experience with ESN rubbers at least.  Every month or two (I know, I don't burn rubber like that), I have to reglue.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2015 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

You don't have a problem with shrinking?  And how often do you do it?
realmisr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote realmisr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2015 at 7:53pm
Yea honestly I would be so paranoid because of the shrinking :/
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2015 at 8:34pm
Cut the rubbers slightly larger than the blade face if the shrinking scares you so much. I do this all the time.
Cybershape Carbon
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2015 at 9:14pm
I am happy with not regluing the rubber.  I like continuity.
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2015 at 9:43pm
I hit an edge and might need to reglue my MXP. Will it shrink if I peel it off completely and reglue it? I didn't roll while gluing.
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2015 at 11:19pm
MX-P comes boosted so it shrinks over time as the booster evaporates. It's a matter of degree. You could reboost it or stretch it a little.
Cybershape Carbon
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2015 at 8:50am
With rubber cement I think occasional reglueing is helpful. With water glues and some large pore sponges i have had problems with the sponge tearing (particularly the "golden cake" of 729 lineage).
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2015 at 3:17pm
I don't boost so i probably wouldn't boost my MXP to reglue. Did you (or anyone) have any problems with tearing the MXP sponge when taking it off the blade to reglue?
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
ahsq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahsq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2015 at 12:50pm
I experiences very small sponge loss while using my fingers to roll against the sponges on all sheets. very little specks of sponges get pulled out with the residue.

The removed glue residue also has a faint color of what the sponge color is, so theres definitely loss of sponge each time when I remove the used glue.

I dont re-glue unless I have to nowadays.

FS:
Xiom Vega Pro ST 85 grams $80 shipped
Donic Waldner Senso Carbo JO shaped ST $40 shipped

Inkognito View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inkognito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2015 at 6:53pm
I would say that I rather change rubbers then reglue without any boost. And because of that, I change rubbers every 2-3 months. But I do know people who use their rubbers longer and without boost. They reglue and stretch only while regluing, not the first time when they attach the rubbers.
3 BTY Jun Mizutani ST SZLC

FH/BH Butterfly Dignics 64 max

Buy some Butterfly or Stiga equipment?!?! PM me!!! EJ since 1993
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic