Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

My Single-ply Hinoki Cracked

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
khvn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khvn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Single-ply Hinoki Cracked
    Posted: 07/21/2006 at 11:20am

People say single-ply hinoki is fragile. That ain't bull, guys. My 4-month old Darker J-Speed 90 developed a hair line crack along the grain straight from the handle to the top. And, no, I didn't hit it again the table edge or nothing.

But I'm not fretting. I mess around with blades enough to be able to fix the damn thing even if it breaks completely in halves. No asking for picture, guys. You won't be able to see the crack since I don't have any fancy camera to capture that extra fine line of a crack.

Sponsored Links

stefanusj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stefanusj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2006 at 11:25am
Freaky statement....... Have to be more careful with my beloved tanpan.
GenomicsKnight View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2006 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by khvn khvn wrote:

People say single-ply hinoki is fragile. That ain't bull, guys. My 4-month old Darker J-Speed 90 developed a hair line crack along the grain straight from the handle to the top. And, no, I didn't hit it again the table edge or nothing.

But I'm not fretting. I mess around with blades enough to be able to fix the damn thing even if it breaks completely in halves. No asking for picture, guys. You won't be able to see the crack since I don't have any fancy camera to capture that extra fine line of a crack.

Sorry to hear that. Do you feel the difference when playing it?
CEO, Single Ply Hinoki Club
TSP Dynam 10.5mm
and other fine 1-ply Kiso Hinoki blades
khvn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khvn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2006 at 12:46pm

GenomicsKnight, No I don't feel a thing. The blade still play the same as it always does.

Another note, I think wood cracks because it dries up, loosing the minimum moisture content needed to keep it from cracking. Is this correct? Hope the wood experts on this forum will be able to explain this natural, non-user-induced, all-by-itself crack.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2006 at 2:38pm
Hi khvn, you are probably right. I had a Juic Shuri before that was the same way. It had a very fine line crack one day out of nowhere and I didn't think I hit the blade on anything other than the ball. Maybe sealing the blade will keep the moisture in check or even prevent further cracking.

I think both malvin and SDRamones are very knowlegeable in this stuff. Hopefully they can give you better recommendations.
TSP Dynam 10.5mm
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2006 at 9:27pm
I am very sorry to hear that Khvn, what is the moisture content of the air in your area (in my area it is always at least 60%) ? Did you seal the blade?
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

stefanusj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stefanusj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2006 at 11:09pm
how to seal a hinoki blade?
Do you use some wood varnish or some polyurethane ?
Tx
hip66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hip66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2006 at 12:03am

From my other post, Tanpan blade:

I sealed it by wiping quick dry Minwax polyurethayne on it with a paper towel very lightly and immediate follow up with a dry paper towel- so I would not have any reglue splintering issues- probably overkill since hinoki is not prone to splintering.  Barely covering the surface, the poly worked great, cannot tell it is there.

stefanusj, we are talking a square inch of paper towel briefly dipped in the poly and quickly, lightly, applied and immediately followed up with a dry papertowel.  Hardly any poly was used and I have no issues with blade play changes or splintering from regluing.

Yasaka Leopard
Tornado 2.0 FH & BH
Tibhar Rapid Clean 2 layers
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2006 at 12:23am
Originally posted by stefanusj stefanusj wrote:

how to seal a hinoki blade?
Do you use some wood varnish or some polyurethane ?
Tx
I use both polyurethane and sanding sealer. If you want to retain the original softness/feel of your Hinoki blade as much as possible, then use the sanding sealer. You can also do incremetal sealing. Test your bare blade by bouncing a ball on it before applying the sealing. Put a very light coat on. When it's dried use the ball test again to see if you like it or want to put on another layer without losing the feel of your blade. I believe just a thin layer should suffice.
TSP Dynam 10.5mm
khvn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khvn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2006 at 12:55am

Yeah, Aeoliah, I use the quick-wipe-dry method and sealed the blade face with 1 thin polyutherane layer. 3 good layers around the handle area though. This is so that I can wash clean my rubber and handle after every play. Very nice setup for clean freaks like us, Aeoliah.

Alas, the thing still crack. I'm in Texas where it's pretty humid. Not like Arizona where my friend complains that the hot air is so dry, it can crack the skin behind his neck. Oh oh... I just remember that he is gonna get the Tanpan (he tried my J-Speed 90 and fell in love with single-ply hinoki). Arizona just might crack up his single-ply Tanpan in no time...

aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2006 at 3:36am
Then I don't understand. If it cracks on dry air, it is understandable, but on humid air it is unlikely.
So another research must be done : which percentage range of humidity is the best to give long life to the single ply hinoki blade. And perhaps thicker blade will be stronger against crack than thinner one. I believe yours is 8,5 mm.
One info for you : I just shaved my Darker 7p2a carbon and it does not smudge like Butterfly, so I think they are using different material.
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

stefanusj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stefanusj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2006 at 4:42am
Thanks for the important info guys. I think I will seal my tanpan asap.
pingpongist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2006 at 9:20am
It's a shame for your blade, khvn...  Hopefully it won't get any worse...

It seems that this problem is very real. I read a post of a member who shared his findings about 1-ply Hinoki blades, gathered on some Asian TT sites, I think. He mentioned users of 1-ply Hinoki blades complaining about their cracked blades.

Hm... Not encouraging for people considering purchasing this type of blade...
ryu seungminfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryu seungminfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2006 at 10:59am
i dunno, nothing like that happen to me. maybe it's cause i sweat a lot and most of the time it drips on my bat everytime i play
blade:kokutaku super
rubber:xiom omega 3
right hander

nothing without labour
fortunateluck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fortunateluck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2006 at 2:54pm

What a drag.. can't take it back for refund or exchange either, ha.. No warranty on table tennis blades especially from overseas...

But, ..

I know a Korean guy who is probably about 2200+ level (he is not from US, so he doesn't have a rating) who is using Rorin3 and it is glued in the middle from the crack. He says that he reglues it every year, and it plays just fine. So, there is hope yet!

-cheers

aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2006 at 9:43pm
Khvn, I would suggest you to claim Darker either directly or through iruiru. Whatever the result, you have nothing to lose. With what happened to you, people will be afraid to by single ply hinoki blade. By the way, how do you fix the hairline crack ?
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

khvn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khvn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2006 at 11:52pm

Aeoliah, IruIru and Darker will laugh at me, if I send the blade back after months of use. Let's face it, the price for single-ply hinoki is that it simply can't be as sturdy as composite.

To the single-ply hinoki aficionados, I'll say don't give up on single-ply. Like any prodigious racing thoroughbred, single-ply hinoki can be finicky, you just have to deal with it. It's worth the incredible feeling only single-ply hinoki can give.

Here's how you can fix hair line crack on hinoki: Dip a q-tip in Gorilla glue, slightly bend the blade to widen the crack a bit and wipe the q-tip along the full leght of the crack. slightly press the q-tip so the glue is pushed into the crack. Wipe clean any trace of glue on the blade face. Lay the blade on a flat surface (glass table is best) put a sheet of aluminum or plastic wrap on the blade face and stack books or heavy object on top of the blade.

Some explanation on why we do what we did: For Gorilla glue to work, you need to clamp the pieces together. That's why we need to weight down the blade on a flat surface. This helps press the crack together. Why the aluminum/plastic wrap? This is because Gorilla glue will expand and penetrate deep into the wood fibers (that's what gives its famous strength). As a result of the expansion, some of the glue may ooze out of the crack and show up on the blade face. Lucky for us, the aluminum/plastic wrap is there to prevent the glue gets into things other than the blade. This means you may need to change the aluminum/plastic wrap from time to time and wipe the glue clean off the blade face until it stops showing up (this could last  2 -3 hours).

Gorilla glue is, guess what..., polyutherane based (funny how I run into polyutherane everywhere I turn). So if you can't find Gorilla, just get any polyutherane based glue. They work the same.

aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2006 at 6:03am
My reasoning is that we don't buy a blade to be used for 4 or 5 months only. If the physical condition of the blade is good (no sign of crashing against any hard object), I don't see any reason why a reliable supplier will not replace it, as they have to face the fact that they have used defective material (even if it is not intentional). But if you have fixed it and it cannot be seen anymore, then the situation could be different.
After reading your post, I will think twice before I buy single ply hinoki again.
About Gorilla, is it multi purpose glue or is it specifically made for wood ?
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

khvn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khvn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2006 at 3:22pm

Aeoliah, you're a tough customer. Them vendors shouldn't mess around with you and sell you no good stuffs. Has anyone else got their single-ply hinoki cracked naturally w/o hitting it against the table? Am I the only one out of luck with mine? My friend said maybe I accidentally baked it by leaving it in a hot car or something. About Gorilla, it's an all-purpose glue, but it's very good for wood.

ttman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2006 at 3:58pm

my darker center carbon which is at 5 ply blade center carbon ply, then two thick hinoki, then two thin hinoki has a hair line crack like u described on the fh side, it doestn effect play at all and is barely noticable

aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2006 at 2:31am
Khvn, I think I am reasonable enough, I don't think there is anybody in this forum who is willing to buy a blade that will last 4 months. At least go tell iruiru and Darker about this to find out their reaction. If they are thinking about future sales, they must do something. Even now I am sure many people who originally has interest in single ply hinoki is becoming hesitant, me included.
Khvun you can tell them that all your friends from TT forum urged you to put up a claim after reading your post. Perhaps this will start them thinking.
TTman, I would say that it is only one ply that cracked and the crack does not go through. Anyhow I would count one and a half for hinoki cracks, one from Khvn and half from you.
More happenings like this, and popularity of hinoki will decrease.
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

rf20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rf20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2006 at 10:37am
Originally posted by khvn khvn wrote:

Aeoliah, you're a tough customer. Them vendors shouldn't mess around with you and sell you no good stuffs. Has anyone else got their single-ply hinoki cracked naturally w/o hitting it against the table? Am I the only one out of luck with mine? My friend said maybe I accidentally baked it by leaving it in a hot car or something. About Gorilla, it's an all-purpose glue, but it's very good for wood.

I have 8 1-ply Hinoki shakehand blads, and they are all sealed with Shallac(?) and no cracks yet. I am in Texas too.
khvn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khvn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2006 at 10:54am

Originally posted by rf20 rf20 wrote:

I have 8 1-ply Hinoki shakehand blads, and they are all sealed with Shallac(?) and no cracks yet. I am in Texas too.

You have 8 hinoki blades? Any of them is this Tanpan shakehand blade? How does it play/feel? My friend is excitedly waiting for his first single-ply hinoki Tanpan which is on its way to him from IruIru.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2006 at 3:08am
Wow, eight 1-ply Hinoki blades?! I would also like to hear very much about your experience, rf20...

Especially because I noticed that you liked 1-ply Hinoki better than 7P-2A.7T. Now I see that you are selling your 7P-2A.7T, which I thought was sold already.

I would join khvn with few questions:

Could you share the reasons for your preference of 1-ply Hinoki over 7P-2A.7T?

Which blade do you find faster - 7P-2A.7T or the 1-ply shakehands?

Please, what is the difference between those two types of blades in terms of control and feel?

I see that you are selling also an Armstrong 1-ply Hinoki shakehand. If you had a chance to compare Kasuterian to the Darker 1-ply shakehands (Tanpan and Speed 70/90), could you share what is the difference between them concerning speed, control, craftsmanship, wood quality?

The two models of 1-ply Hinoki blades from Armstrong are half the price of the Tanpan...

Thanks in advance...
rf20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rf20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2006 at 2:42pm
7P-2A.7T is a good blade, but the feel is different then Schlager Carbon/Kool/Air Carbon, or any 1-ply Hinoki blades. You can see I like that "hard" feel from carbon blades, and the soft but powerful feel from 1-ply Hinoki. 7t is something in between that I do not feel special about it. As for which one is faster, 7t or 1-ply Hinoki? For slow swing, less power shot, I think 7t is faster. For full power, 1-ply hinoki is more powerful. All this is my personal feel, other people may think differently.

As for control which one is better? I always think control is from player not much to do with blade or rubber. You have to find a blade and rubber combination to achieve the desired control. I think a lot of people think a good control blade will put the ball back on the table more often than some other blades, but after the ball is on the other player's side you got killed by the return, is that good control? So I always think control is from player's brain, skill through the blade and rubber to achieve control.

I do have Tanpan, and Tanpan feels softer than Armstrong.
Armstrong has two kinds of 1-ply Hinoki; one is real single piece Hinoki wood (the one I am selling), and the other kind is two or more pieces glued togrther, which is harder than the single piece Hinoki.

Darker's craftsmanship is the best, they are better than Armstrong and BTY. I have a Speed 70 and BTY Cypress Special Select for collection, you really can tell the difference in sanding and polishing from the two blades.
I have never played with these two blades, so I could not tell you more about them.

I am not a wood expert, so I really could not tell which blade is better or worse than the rest. Some people say straight grain is better, but I have read one article about some JP player like to have non-straight grain wood for the reasons I cannot remember and understand. Some people say it does not matter if the wood is three hundred year old or five hundred year old. Some people say BTY's wood is better because the wood was naturally dried for 12 years, and Darker's wood was artificially dried so the wood is harder.

If you never played TT with a single ply Hinoki, you really should try once in your life just for sake of it if you can afford to. You'll be amazed.

I am not a good TT player so DO NOT take what I said seriously, I just like to have fun in TT and love the wood stuff.

Please excuse my English, I am a Chinese live in Texas.
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2006 at 8:49pm
I have 7p2a CHN Carbon and I tried it for a short time. I used F1 max on it, and my first impression is that this blade is rather slow, also the sound when it hit the ball is not so loud. Anyhow I will make several tries again in the future and if I still get the same impression, I will change the rubber with Bryce FX 2,1 mm.
I have also Cypress and Speed 90 (9mm), but so far Borko is the best for me. I am curious about the Violin though, and I am considering to take one.
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

hjyoo99 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hjyoo99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2006 at 12:57am

most people play penhold in Korea where i live, more and more beginners are starting this sport with shakehand though. so i have heard of and seen many cases of this sort around me. I heard the hinoki tanpan(which literally means "single-ply") can break due to the impact of hitting balls.

they say when a blade get cracked, drop it onto the hard floor so that it breaks cleanly into halves or more(i have seen one in thirds) and glue them back into its shape with a strong adhesive. your heart would break but there will be no difference of feel, if any, you wouldnt feel it. I guess it could be the better idea than trying to seal the crack.

I have no idea if the seller would refund or replace the cracked or broken blade without practically hitting anything except for the ball. I would have a go.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2006 at 11:48am
I am grateful on your comments, rf20... Thanks a lot for your time and effort... I sense a fair interest towards Darker blades on this forum and beleive many other will appreciate your comments and find them very helpful as I do...
Cheers...
khvn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khvn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2006 at 12:17pm

rf20, thanks for the good info.

You're are right about control is from the player's skill. But that's dynamic control. Another aspect of control is the static control that comes from the blade itself. Simply put, slower and softer blades yield more control than than faster and harder blades.

All my babling about control is just to let me get to this point where I can rave some more about the merit of single-ply hinoki: "Soft but fast, fast but controllable". What other blade can do that, I ask you? That's the hinoki feeling you can find nowhere else but.

Ok, ok... I hear you. Enough already. You won't hear me hinoki raving again any time soon. One last thing before I go though, expect single-ply to  feel thick in your hand. Shaving helps cut that down some. And one really last thing, EJ'ing all you want to get it out of your system, chances are you'll give up everthing and go back to single-ply hinoki coz nuthing else can satisfy you but.

rf20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rf20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2006 at 2:10pm
"slower and softer blades yield more control than than faster and harder blades."
From my own experience, I did not know I could have better control until the day I played with Schlager Carbon/Bryce (FH/BH), 1-ply Hinoki (Bryce (FH)/H3(BH)). You may think I am crazy, but after using those blade and rubber combination, TT opened up another world, which I never knew before after 35 years TT playing. ALL THIS DOES NOT MEAN I AM A GOOD PLAYER, I JUST LOVE TO PLAY.

Also, before playing with 1-ply Hinoki, I did not know what is this "feel" thing in TT. As Chinese always say "hand feel", it is very difficult to explain, but once you used a 1-ply Hinoki you will understand. I think you can use the feel from 1-ply Hinoki as a base line to judge other blades.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic