Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

Plastic balls

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2017 at 12:54am
Are they 3* orange balls?
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2017 at 9:47am
yes!

I played with them last night.  Felt to me like a cross between nittaku seamed and one of the cheaper seamed balls.  Had a little different sound. Felt lighter than the seamed by a mile.  Felt a lot like cell.  Definitely took a lot of spin...even more than nittaku.
W6 fl with Illumina 1.8

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2017 at 11:17am
Did the balls you used last night have seams?

One of the hardest things to do is to estimate the weight of a ball by the way it plays, but if they are substantially lighter than the Nittaku Premium 40+, ITTF will not approve them, since Nittaku is already at the very bottom of the allowable weight range.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2017 at 11:41am
yeah, feel is deceiving

yes, they were seamed
W6 fl with Illumina 1.8

jk92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jk92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2017 at 2:00pm
Noob question, but does boosting help increase the spin on ABS and other plastic balls (like Butterfly G series) ?

The lack of spin on serve and other low power strokes is pretty horrifying vs. my preferred ball (XSF seamless)
DHS Hurricane 3 Neo FH
Acuda P2 BH
Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon Penhold
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2017 at 6:12pm
Speed gluing used to increase spin a lot. I'm not convinced tuning does other than to soften the sponge. But I am the last guy who should weigh in on tuning probably.

But whatever increases spin will do so on the plastic as well.   I feel for you brother... I'm there.
W6 fl with Illumina 1.8

icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2017 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

Speed gluing used to increase spin a lot. I'm not convinced tuning does other than to soften the sponge. But I am the last guy who should weigh in on tuning probably.

But whatever increases spin will do so on the plastic as well.   I feel for you brother... I'm there.

VOC based speed gluing affected a variety of sponges; not sure if the mechanism made the solvent eat the glue and digest it INTO the sponge.

Boosters like Falco Long, can definitely stretch the topsheet, adding speed. On many of the different sponges I've tried it will also soften.

But boosters seem dependent on the type/composition/chemistry of the sponge for the strength of the interaction and don't seem to interact with the glue layer as much.

I agree that it doesn't seem to increase spin on the majority of rubbers I have tried. There are some exceptions, however.

The brief period where manufacturers were making booster compatible sponges was amazing (as rubbers like Samba NTEC would play like a speed glued Sriver FX, for almost 30 days off a single boost, and could be reboosted 3-4 times with similar effect).

But because boosting is a gray area, there isn't nearly the amount of public information on the interaction as there is in standard rubber/blade reviews.

For Palio CJ8000 on a 42-44 degree japanese sponge takes falco pretty well; over time it softens, develops a slight click, and is decent at both mechanical (sponge) and chemical (tacky) spin. 

Here's a general principle - boosting a harder, spinny, slow rubber means that when the booster softens the sponge, and speeds up the rubber, you wind up with something that is more medium in terms of feel and speed, but still maintains more than average spin.

I honestly wish I could find a sponge/topsheet that boosting would dramatically increase the spin and control as it did with the "booster-ready" sponges, but I've had little luck.

And to be completely fair, my unboosted Target National / Rasant combo pretty much outperforms any of the stock rubber + boosted combo I have put together (in terms of speed, spin and control).
US1260.RC952 . Yasaka Gatien Extra : Target National + Rasant
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic