FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Nexy Olam Unboxing and Review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
qualizon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qualizon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nexy Olam Unboxing and Review
    Posted: 11/05/2015 at 2:37pm
Received the Nexy Olam blade today, and since this is my first Nexy blade, I gotta say I'm very happy to see the good packaging and craftmanship. Thanks to Mr. Park again for this new product.

The blade I'm getting is a 87g Olam Cpen, since I just got it today, I'll only provide the unboxing and appearance review for now.

Let's see some pictures first Wink

Both shoulders on the front and back are lightly shaved, which is always nice to have. Not many brand does that. Thumbs up for Nexy!

Closer look at the layers, the core is pretty thick and dark in color. 

the logo is nicely printed on the surface

And looks like this year a lot of brand are updating their handle tail logo metal piece (stiga, yinhe, ariex, nexy) It looks very nice on picture and in person too.

Labeled for 87gram.

Like I've mentioned above, both sides have the shoulder shaved, so if you're one of those who flips the side on cpen, this blade is ready to go :-)

Another look of the layers.

N656 TG3 Nat Blue/H360
Feedback
For Sale
Sponsored Links

Machine_Head View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machine_Head Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2015 at 9:54pm
Looking forward to your review. I am also a late comer to the Nexy brand and I am very pleased with the blade (Oscar) and polyball and I got from them.

What rubbers do you plan on using for the Olam?
qualizon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qualizon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2015 at 11:32am
I'm going to put Sanwei Target national max for forehand , and Reactor ckylin med soft max for backhand.

Edited by qualizon - 11/08/2015 at 11:33am
N656 TG3 Nat Blue/H360
Feedback
For Sale
Crowsfeather View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crowsfeather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2015 at 12:02am
Olam - 7 plies
I think the first layer is beech wood. (Asking from wood worker I know-TT custom blade builder)
Second layer is spruce for sure, I have no idea about 3rd ply limba perhaps??
and the core is sure burn kiri which is awesome.

I try Parker's Olam for about 20 min can not say much but try to exp it more next time I meet him.

Dwell time and the feel of soft wood we seen in a blade like violin or holzeben and that of a andro ligna is there.

Olam is much much more powerful than violin and holzeben,
I never try lissom and Kim Joong hun
but quite sure it is faster than lissom and as fast as Kim joong hoon.

Parker pair them with Mizuno 45 deg and a dead rasant powersponge.

It is pure Offensive to Off + blade it is quite behave like BTY Hinoki ALC blade but with much dwell time and woody feel , power is more than enough looping at mid to far distance. It grab ball really well and catapult back with curve. Parker loop it like hell, I had hard time to predict the off bounce trajectory.

One problem - sometime short game is a bit funky to me, it absorb all really well that I have to swipe more to attack short game, need a really good wrist and swing.
I'm no longer an EJ and I'm proud .

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crowsfeather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2015 at 4:00am
Reactor ckylin is well response in lots of country but not in Thailand can you write a review of it ?

I also saw Sanwei Target on WRM TV (Japanese youtube channel), which is sound promising rubber.
qualizon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qualizon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2015 at 10:49am
I've put on the ckylin med soft as a forehand rubber last week, and it was a disappointment for forehand, however, if you turn it onto your backhand, it's a very good backhand rubber with control and enough spin.

I haven't opened my other ckylin med hard rubber yet,I'd think that is a better choice for forehand, I'll save it experiment with a more expensive blade and do a cheap rubber high end blade test :-)
N656 TG3 Nat Blue/H360
Feedback
For Sale
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2015 at 6:12pm
Qualizon, where did you get your ckylin and target?
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
qualizon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qualizon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2015 at 6:43pm
I ordered mine from China directly.
N656 TG3 Nat Blue/H360
Feedback
For Sale
qualizon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qualizon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2015 at 9:31am
Got the rubbers put on :-)

N656 TG3 Nat Blue/H360
Feedback
For Sale
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2015 at 10:02am
Dang that looks nice. I am ready for some review and some action videos.
qualizon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qualizon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2015 at 11:07am
Got a chance to just hit with the blade for 10 minutes as I need to go out of town for a business trip in San Diego, but I'm going to visit one of the club over there again hopefully I can tried the blade more (I have my gears with me, hehe) And may be I can bump into schen over there too, haha.

Initially feeling, very 5 ply alike even though it's a 7 ply, meaning hand feeling is very good. The target national has higher throw on the Olam blade comparing to having target national on the yinhe Purple dragaon 437 blade, which is also a 7 ply but more like a clipper clone 7 ply. With the PD437, i need to give more forward movement and hit the ball more in order to make the ball go over the net, but with the Olam, I don't need to have this adjustment.

Edited by qualizon - 11/11/2015 at 3:48pm
N656 TG3 Nat Blue/H360
Feedback
For Sale
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2015 at 8:44am
The red ckylin is less spinnier than the black one. I agree the red one is so good in the backhand.
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2015 at 2:06pm
How much does the OLAM cost?  The blade seems pretty fast.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2015 at 5:36pm
Our NexyUSA.com CEO already made an order and will receive it very soon. I expect he will list the OALM as same price as TAK9.com Nexy Korea... $140 USD.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2015 at 10:42pm
Review coming soon - not sure what to say about the blade yet - it's going to be mostly positive.
Cybershape Carbon
qualizon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qualizon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2015 at 1:34pm
Tried the Olam blade with Target National on FH and cKylin Soft on BH again. The Olam blade definitely offset the weakness from these two rubbers。

For Target: it tends to have lower throw on other blade and require more impact than brushing in order to go over the net, now with the Olam, it becomes medium throw and you can easily loop with this rubber with decent speed and spin. One complain is the feeling too crisp, it might due to the softness from the Target National rubber, it's too easy to hit through the sponge and then to the blade. And the blade already has a very clear and crisp feedback, so I might try to put a harder forehand rubber on Olam. MX-S would be my next test.

For cKylin Soft: it is a rubber without much power but with a very easy grip as a backhand rubber. When pairing this rubber on forehand of another clipper clone, I totally hate it. On the Olam, it goes from very conservative backhand rubber to a normal backhand rubber. Doing backhand loop is like driving automatic instead of manual shift, I pick the blade up and I can do rpb block, loop and flip without much effort. I think it's due to the help from Olam. If this rubber is being put on a weaker blade, i might not have the same result.

Edited by qualizon - 11/17/2015 at 1:37pm
N656 TG3 Nat Blue/H360
Feedback
For Sale
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2015 at 2:19pm
I may have to buy one of their blades as they really look excellent. Thanks for posting the pics
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2015 at 5:54am
It`s time to post my first impressions too.

3 days ago I got my Olam ST (84g). It was the first time, that the german post really disappointed me. Nexy mailed the package on 03. november and it arrived in Germany 1 day later (!). But now the chaos started. At first the package stayed some days in Frankfurt. Then it was delivered to the customs although the package was signed with a low value of 15 USD. The next problem: it was delivered to the wrong customs-office. This customs-office did not accept the package => back to Frankfurt => from here to the right customs-office. There they needed 2 more days to inform me about the arrival of the package => at least I had to drive to Paderborn (60km x2) to pick up the package.

But ok, at the end I got it and was happy to see this beauty

The craftsmanship of the Olam is really superb. Once again a great job. Thumbs Up

Originally posted by Crowsfeather Crowsfeather wrote:

I think the first layer is beech wood. (Asking from wood worker I know-TT custom blade builder). Second layer is spruce for sure, I have no idea about 3rd ply limba perhaps?? and the core is sure burn kiri which is awesome.
Yes, that`s also my impression.
beechwood - spruce - limba - burned kiri - limba - spruce - beechwood

I decided to test the Olam in a battle with my Arirang - both paired with 2 brand new Acuda Blue P1.

Dwell time and the feel of soft wood we seen in a blade like violin or holzeben and that of a andro ligna is there.
Sorry, but I can not agree to this statement. Beech wood is a hard wood with a janka hardness of round about 1.300 while spruce (Ligna and Holz Sieben) has round about 500 (walnut = 1.000, limba = 500, mahogany = 800). 

Compared with the Arirang the feeling (impact) of the Olam is harder and more direct. This results in a completely different feeling of these two blades. While Arirang has this really special feeling (not comparable with any other Nexy blade) Olam has much more control. The ball placement is much easier with Olam compared to Arirang, especially in passive game and when you have to return hard attacks of your opponent. In this point it is something like a mixture between Arirang and Tibhar Inca (which is also produced by Nexy).

It is pure Offensive to Off + blade it is quite behave like BTY Hinoki ALC blade but with much dwell time and woody feel , power is more than enough looping at mid to far distance. It grab ball really well and catapult back with curve. 
In my eyes Olam is not extremely fast. I would rate it with Off- (definitely not more than Off).

One problem - sometime short game is a bit funky to me, it absorb all really well that I have to swipe more to attack short game, need a really good wrist and swing.
I agree - and that`s the reason, why I rate Olam with Off-. It is not easy to open the game if the ball comes with backspin. That`s MUCH easier with Arirang. Arirang has more power in all situations, but like I wrote in my Arirang-review, Arirang is not linear and therefore not easy to control. Olam is much more linear, but you have to adjust your game (more use of the wrist) or to use a different kind of rubbers.

First conclusion:

I like the Olam, because it has more control than Inca (faster) and Arirang (non linear) without being slow. With my choosed rubbers (Acuda Blue P1 - forehand 2,0 and backhand 1,8) it was not perfect for my game. Especially the backhand-opening was not easy for me. Lots of balls landed in the net. Maybe one reason is, that the rubbers were brand new. If they are broken in, they will become a little bit more bouncy and I think, most of the problems will be gone then.

Nevertheless I will try an other rubber-combination next monday. I will test the Olam with Andro Rasant Grip 2,1 on forehand and Andro Rasant Powersponge 1,9 on backhand, both used and 100% playable. I am curious, if this combination will be too bouncy or not. 

Edited by Magic_M - 11/21/2015 at 7:27am
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2015 at 7:29am
Some training-sessions later I can add some more impressions about the Nexy Olam:

As I wrote in my first review, I had some problems when I tried to open the game out of backspin. Therefore I tested the tacky DHS Skyline 3-60, pared with my usual Acuda Blue P1. The idea was not so bad, because it was really easier to loop with this rubber, especially out of backspin. On the other side it still does not feel to be "MY" blade, because the hardness of the outer veneer is still unusual for me. But it seems, that this test helped me a lot to understand, which kind of compositions fits best for my game.

But at first my actual impressions about the Olam:

- speed: Off- (All+) with my 84g version
- control: very good, because it plays extremely linear, ball-placement is fantastic
- throw: medium
- feeling: hard (because of the hard beech wood outer veneer)
- dwell-time: short
- Blocking: very easy, here the Olam shines
- looping: good for brush-strokes and slow controlled looping,
but not easy to generate spin with more power (needs a good technique)
- smashing: absolutely no problem, with good placement
- conclusion: my recommendation for all-round attackers with linear game (Block, smash) or
slow controlled looping out of the rubber

The Olam is a very good blade with high control, but the beech wood outer veneer is still "unusual" for me personally. That`s the reason, why the Olam and I don`t come together.

I have to add, that I tested the Olam with the celluloid ball, because in our league ALL teams are still playing with celluloid and NO ONE is playing with the new poly ball. So maybe my impressions wood be different with the poly ball.

As I love the quality and craftsmanship of all Nexy blades, I would like to test some more of these wonderful blades. Therefore my offer:

If you also like to test the new Olam or my Arirang and post a review here, and if you have one of these blades (with ST handle)
  • Nexy Zealot
  • Nexy Peterpan
  • Tibhar Inca
  • Tibhar Actium 
we could trade our blades. Come on: take this chance and give me another chance. Big smile
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2015 at 8:57am
Originally posted by Magic_M Magic_M wrote:

Some training-sessions later I can add some more impressions about the Nexy Olam:

As I wrote in my first review, I had some problems when I tried to open the game out of backspin. Therefore I tested the tacky DHS Skyline 3-60, pared with my usual Acuda Blue P1. The idea was not so bad, because it was really easier to loop with this rubber, especially out of backspin. On the other side it still does not feel to be "MY" blade, because the hardness of the outer veneer is still unusual for me. But it seems, that this test helped me a lot to understand, which kind of compositions fits best for my game.

- control: very good, because it plays extremely linear, ball-placement is fantastic
- conclusion: my recommendation for all-round attackers with linear game (Block, smash) or

The Olam is a very good blade with high control, but the beech wood outer veneer is still "unusual" for me personally. That`s the reason, why the Olam and I don`t come together.

I have to add, that I tested the Olam with the celluloid ball, because in our league ALL teams are still playing with celluloid and NO ONE is playing with the new poly ball. So maybe my impressions wood be different with the poly ball.

As I love the quality and craftsmanship of all Nexy blades, I would like to test some more of these wonderful blades. Therefore my offer:

If you also like to test the new Olam or my Arirang and post a review here, and if you have one of these blades (with ST handle)
  • Nexy Zealot
  • Nexy Peterpan
  • Tibhar Inca
  • Tibhar Actium 
we could trade our blades. Come on: take this chance and give me another chance. Big smile

I think this is where the blade revealed new possibilities for me.   It might be the plastic ball or the choice or rubber but I think to spin hard with OLAM, you need a much deeper contact depth than you are used to producing with softer rubbers.  It's one of the reasons why I am using it more now as I think it will open my mind to how harder outer-ply blades should be used.
Cybershape Carbon
42andbackpains View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42andbackpains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2015 at 11:59am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Originally posted by Magic_M Magic_M wrote:

• Nexy Zealot
  • Nexy Peterpan
  • Tibhar Inca
  • Tibhar Actium 

I think this is where the blade revealed new possibilities for me.   It might be the plastic ball or the choice or rubber but I think to spin hard with OLAM, you need a much deeper contact depth than you are used to producing with softer rubbers.  It's one of the reasons why I am using it more now as I think it will open my mind to how harder outer-ply blades should be used.

NL, no more EJing for 2015? I caught you and must report you to the higher ups...Wheres BH_Man?
Mind is willing, but the back goes out too often :P
OSP Ultimate II 88 grams
FH Dianchi D w/ Secret Sauce
BH Butterfly T05 Red
USATT rating keeps going down
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2015 at 12:05pm
This may be a reason, but I think, it is not useful to change the rubbers also to make a new blade "usable". New rubbers on both sides + new blade? This would be too much different to my actual equipment. Maybe this is possible after the competition-series, but not in the middle of the series. Therefore a new blade must be playable with my usual rubbers. Otherwise it is not a good idea to use this new blade, especially as I have three possible playing-blades in the moment.

The Lissom for example (I have two of them) is playable with ANY rubber. I have tested it with different kinds of rubbers and the feeling was always good. That`s a blade, that will be in my stock for ever (at least one of them).

But maybe here are other forum-members, who are playing with harder rubbers like MX-P, who would be happy to test the Olam too. And maybe these members have an other Nexy blade for me. So we both would be happy.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2015 at 12:43am
42 & BP, BH-Man is in the nation's capitol watching the action of this thread and chomping down on sum popcorn.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Saitama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saitama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2015 at 5:45am
I'll try my zealot later. With mxp on bothsides
Hope i could try the olam too

Edited by Saitama - 12/08/2015 at 5:50am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crowsfeather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2015 at 2:40am
agree!!!  Arirang is sometimes quite unpredictable due to non-linear behavior.

Would you plz provide me swebsite of way to order skyclin ??? 

Edited by Crowsfeather - 12/11/2015 at 2:43am
Machine_Head View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machine_Head Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2015 at 10:29am

agree!!!  Arirang is sometimes quite unpredictable due to non-linear behavior.

Can you expound on this? How non-linear is it? Is it because of the "dual speed" feature?

I am choosing between this and the Calix I.

Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic