Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Estimate the ratings of four TT players

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Philior Phimellus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Philior Phimellus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Estimate the ratings of four TT players
    Posted: 11/16/2015 at 4:33am
Could you please rate these four players? I cannot say that I am too knowledgeable about them, but I am just curious as to how you would evaluate their table tennis skills.

British League:

Bulgarian League:

Edited by Philior Phimellus - 11/16/2015 at 4:43am
Sponsored Links

ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2015 at 6:47am
I'd say under 2000  Wink

Actually I know the players in the top clip so i won't say a word now....
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2015 at 9:40am
Somewhere in 2300-2500 range for all 4, with the losers being closer to the lower number and the winners being closer to the higher number.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2015 at 2:51pm
I'd say no higher than mid 2100.  My 2200 practice partner would probably beat all of them handily.
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2015 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by AcudaDave AcudaDave wrote:

I'd say no higher than mid 2100.  My 2200 practice partner would probably beat all of them handily.

I think you need to watch the matches again.
Cybershape Carbon
shay2be View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shay2be Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2015 at 3:31pm
Do people think 2100 is all of a sudden world class?
I do not see any of these players having any trouble with a 2100 player whatsoever 
These players are far more advanced...

Timo Boll ZLC
Xiom Vega Japan
Tenergy 80 - FX
Rating: 2065
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2015 at 3:57pm
The first clip shows players who play at the same level (British league div 1) as Ghostzen and myself. Don't know about Ghostzen, but I have beaten and lost to both of them, Ethan put me down as his best ever win in his player profile, but I don't think I held the honour for long!
The Older I get, The better I was.
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2015 at 4:01pm
ok...I watched a little more of the matches.  Of the 2 British players I can see the taller of the 2 above 2300. The shorter player mid 2200. I don't see him as being above 2300, but mid 2200 is a pretty good player.
Of the 2 lower players I don't see either of them being over 2300. Maybe the older fellow is a 2300 player, and the other guy is a 2200 - 2300 player.  Shoot me if I'm wrong...hey it's just an educated guess after watching a few minutes of their matches.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2015 at 4:13pm

ok...I watched a little more of the matches.  Of the 2 British players I can see the taller of the 2 above 2300. The shorter player mid 2200. I don't see him as being above 2300, but mid 2200 is a pretty good player.
Of the 2 lower players I don't see either of them being over 2300. Maybe the older fellow is a 2300 player, and the other guy is a 2200 - 2300 player.  Shoot me if I'm wrong...hey it's just an educated guess after watching a few minutes of their matches.

This I can agree with, though I think the winner of the first match is definitely 2400+ and likely very close to 2500.  I think of some of the players who win the 2500 in Westchester when I see him and he would easily be one of them.  Win the Open, no, but the 2400/2500, sure - that inside out fade forehand return to sender of the pendulum serve to win game one was just tight.  The younger chubby player is being outclassed, so he is harder to gauge.  But the fact that he is being outclassed competitively is why I placed him at 2300.  

The bottom two, the camera angle is terrible on the older player, but I had that strong feeling of someone who had seen better mobility days with too much power.  The younger player I felt was similar to the the one that was outclassed above, just better.

But all in all, I can agree with your revision.  2100 is ridiculous.
Cybershape Carbon
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2015 at 4:16pm

Simon Noutch is ranked 35 in England,which most certainly puts him in the USATT top 50 men. Ethan is ranked 99.
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2015 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by shay2be shay2be wrote:

Do people think 2100 is all of a sudden world class?
I do not see any of these players having any trouble with a 2100 player whatsoever 
These players are far more advanced...

Do I thing 2100 is world class? Heck yeah. If you watch a 2100 match vs me they will look world class I guarantee...
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2015 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

The first clip shows players who play at the same level (British league div 1) as Ghostzen and myself. Don't know about Ghostzen, but I have beaten and lost to both of them, Ethan put me down as his best ever win in his player profile, but I don't think I held the honour for long!

I've only played Ethan once a year or so ago and managed to win but like all players his age he is improving rapidly. Some of his shots when I played him were outstanding but he was a little hit and miss then. If he was "on" all the time he would be a bit of a handful to say the least.

The other player I have won once and lost once against again a few years ago. Last time I played him I lost 3-1 or 3-0 after a long weekend at County.

The other clip below them is interesting....

Edited by ghostzen - 11/16/2015 at 4:33pm
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2015 at 4:38pm

Simon Noutch is ranked 35 in England,which most certainly puts him in the USATT top 50 men. Ethan is ranked 99.

Currently the U.S. Men #50 is Zaman Molla at 2535...Han Xiao is at #79 and I will put my money on Han over Simon right now.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2015 at 4:45pm
Has Zaman nationalized yet? I thought he was from Iran.
Cybershape Carbon
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2015 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Isn't it one of the criteria to be listed on "Top 100 U.S. Men" by the USATT?  He came to the U.S. with a green card as a permanent resident quite a few years ago.  There's a 5-year residency requirement to become a U.S. citizen.

ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2015 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

Currently the U.S. Men #50 is Zaman Molla at 2535...Han Xiao is at #79 and I will put my money on Han over Simon right now.

Didn't Han Xiao get to the USA finals once?

Double edit..yes he did and looking at his rating he was once 2600 if I've got the right guy.

Edited by ghostzen - 11/16/2015 at 5:20pm
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2015 at 5:09pm

Put your money where you like, in my 10 years on these forums its been pretty much established that the English top 100 men is comparable to the USATT top 100 men, we do also tend to back the players we know (because we know how good they are) and underrate players we only see on clips.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2015 at 5:10pm

Isn't it one of the criteria to be listed on "Top 100 U.S. Men" by the USATT?  He came to the U.S. with a green card as a permanent resident quite a few years ago.  There's a 5-year residency requirement to become a U.S. citizen.

Bob Chen is on the list and he first came to the US in 2014. Just trying to make sure we are comparing apples to apples. Most of the list comes from whether you affiliated yourself when registering with the USATT with a foreign country or a US address.

Edited by NextLevel - 11/16/2015 at 5:11pm
Cybershape Carbon
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2015 at 5:17pm
Aren't they all permanent U.S. residents?  If they are, it's required by law that they reside in the U.S...so they actually are living in the U.S.  To me it's not exactly comparing apples and oranges then.  Unlike the UK, this is a country built entirely by immigrants. 

Edited by roundrobin - 11/16/2015 at 5:18pm
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2015 at 5:22pm
Also I get the distinct impression that APW was referring to the 100 US Top Men list found on USATT.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2015 at 5:27pm

Also I get the distinct impression that APW was referring to the 100 US Top Men list found on USATT.

He wasSmile
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2015 at 5:55pm

He wasSmile

Oh, if you want to compare apples and oranges, feel free.  No way that guy would beat Zaman Molla, IMO, but I can be wrong.  Han Xiao, maybe if he is rusty.  Though to be fair, Timothy Wang is only top 300 in the world at best.
Cybershape Carbon
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2015 at 6:10pm

Is Han Xiao #79 the same guy that got to the US 2014 semi finals and finals of one the USA team trails 2015 and lost in 7 to Kanak Jha?

Edited by ghostzen - 11/16/2015 at 6:11pm
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2015 at 6:11pm
Yes. That is he.
Cybershape Carbon
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2015 at 6:18pm
If Han is 79 in the US he is really really under-ranked! Just seen a Video of him and he looks pretty handy.
VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2015 at 6:39pm

Bob Chen is on the list and he first came to the US in 2014. Just trying to make sure we are comparing apples to apples. Most of the list comes from whether you affiliated yourself when registering with the USATT with a foreign country or a US address.

I agree with you NextLevel - It's my understanding that it's the address (City, State) you put on the USATT membership application that makes you 'eligible' to be listed in the Top 100 U.S. Men list, not your legal status, e.g. permanent residency ("green card") or U.S. citizenship.

99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2015 at 7:06pm
It's immaterial.  This is a more interesting list by the USATT that provides a more accurate picture of the current American table tennis scene.  Besides, APW already admitted he's more interested in this list than a list made up of only American-born-and-trained players.

Edited by roundrobin - 11/16/2015 at 8:26pm
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2015 at 3:13am
I was using this as a rough guide
http://www.experttabletennis.com/converting-usatt-ratings-uk-rankings/
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2015 at 9:39am
it's really funny sometimes to see how far off some of these threads get de-railed. 

Simon Noutch is ranked 35 in England,which most certainly puts him in the USATT top 50 men. Ethan is ranked 99.  Danny Seemiller is currently ranked 88 in the US and I doubt that he could beat Danny. 
So maybe APW exaggerated a little when he said Simon was easily in the Top 50, and I misspoke when I said mid 2100.  The point is after watching him play more closely I can see him somewhere in the 2300 - 2400 range.  When I think of this range I think of some of the Lindenwood University players that I've played several times over the last 3 years. Many of them are in the mid 2300 range and I think it would be a battle between Simon and one of them. 
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2015 at 10:49am
quoting 'who would beat who' is silly, all players have a spectrum of wins /losses, they beat players higher and lose to players lower, if Simon is ranked 35, it means he is currently beating players ranked higher.

I have not entered into this who would beat who scenario its pointless unless they are going to play each other. 
All I am saying is that USATT ratings and English ratings  are comparable to the top 100 men.  Ratings are not an exact science. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic