FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

best attacking long pips

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
van_doorn View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote van_doorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: best attacking long pips
    Posted: 11/20/2015 at 3:58am
Hi All, 

I've decided to switch my set-up. I've been playing for over 10 years and I'm losing my motivation. I'm at my max for the amount of training hours I make and I want to shake things up to make table tennis exciting again. I'm a two winged looper, rating around 2100-2200 and I currently play with a Viscaria, Tenergy 05 and Xiom Vega Japan. 

I would like to switch my Xiom Vega Japan for long pips. I just think they are very fun to play with. I'm going to turn the blade during points so the pips will be on the FH and BH side. 

I'm looking for suitable long pips for the Viscaria. I've had the Feint Long II. They have great control, but I would like pips with a bit more backspin. I was thinking about the Tibhar Grass D-tecs. 

Most of the time I would play defence strokes but I need pips that will allow me to play an opening attack ball as well. 

Hope you guys have some suggestions. Thanks!

Butterfly Harimoto sZLC
Butterfly Tenergy 05
Xiom Vega Japan

MyFeedbackSection
Sponsored Links

roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2015 at 4:03am
I had the Viscaria with DtecS no sponge.  Superb combination.  For your rating range it's lethal.  You won't regret it.

Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

gatz View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2015 at 5:52am
i have JSH blade with donic piranja 1.2 in my fh and tenergy 05 in my bh...very lethal weapon.Smile
Blade: ZJ SZLC, Garayda 5000 Matador Texa
Rubbers: FH::Symmetry SP BH: Tenergy Hard, FH: MoristoSP ax BH: Tenergy Hard,FH:Desperado 2 BH: Omega 7 Asia   
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2015 at 6:17am
Theoretically, is 1.5-1.7 the thickest one can go with long pips?

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
van_doorn View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote van_doorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2015 at 7:27am
Yes, for some reason i would like to prefer the OX version with no sponge. I have the feel it has the most control for me. I've heard great things about the Grass version. Don't know if it's true or not. 

Butterfly Harimoto sZLC
Butterfly Tenergy 05
Xiom Vega Japan

MyFeedbackSection
pitigoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitigoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2015 at 9:26am
Originally posted by van_doorn van_doorn wrote:

Hi All, [DIV]
[/DIV][DIV]... I'm going to turn the blade during points so the pips will be on the FH and BH side. [/DIV][DIV]
[/DIV]

From what I found on the web, at elite level LP players turn the blade (twiddle) only after the oponent gives them a slow boll (mostly a short underspin serve to their FH). And then quickly twiddle back.

1500 players are not tricked by my LPs and I'd like to twiddle more (not just slow balls) as my inverted BH is OK, but then what can one do if caught having to answer a long low ball with LPs on FH? Even against a robot there is such a small margin of error if counterhitting, and the return is slow. Using Grass D.Tecs in OX. Thanks!

Edited by pitigoi - 11/20/2015 at 9:29am
van_doorn View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote van_doorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2015 at 9:41am
Originally posted by pitigoi pitigoi wrote:

Hi All, 

... I'm going to turn the blade during points so the pips will be on the FH and BH side. 

but then what can one do if caught having to answer a long low ball with LPs on FH? Even against a robot there is such a small margin of error if counterhitting, and the return is slow. Using Grass D.Tecs in OX. Thanks!

Well if there is no time to twiddle, i would use my LP to chop the the ball, since it's long, or would try to hit it so the opponent will receive a long dead ball with no spin and prepare my position to receive a hard topspin ball but hoping my opponent will spin the ball over the table...
Butterfly Harimoto sZLC
Butterfly Tenergy 05
Xiom Vega Japan

MyFeedbackSection
notfound123 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notfound123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2015 at 10:18am
Look into 388D-1... very popular LP in China and very inexpensive too. 388D-1 has grip unlike 388D and I think it would be very close to what you are looking for.  Not sure about Viscaria.. I am using LP on an Acoustic which is between OFF- and OFF and I would not go any faster than that.

Edited by notfound123 - 11/20/2015 at 10:48am
a23096713 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a23096713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2015 at 6:48pm
Chinese long pip, especially classic one are great hitting pip. The legendary friendship 755, easier version 837 both works. If you like japanese rubber, tsp p-h, feint soft, feint ox works. If you like euro, grass dtec is wonderful.
Chop, Chop, and Counter Loop!

BTY Cutlass + Tackiness D + Feint OX
TSP Astron Yellow + Yasaka Original + Nittaku pimplemini One
TSP Yanagi + UQ + BTY OX
firetack View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firetack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2015 at 3:46am
I tried a few ox lp`s on Donic Wosik carbon blade where the carbon is the second ply down like your Viscaria against some of the better local league players in my area ,on some of the pips I could feel the carbon too much which didn`t allow me to make enough backspin when chopping ,then I tried the old standard Tibhar grass in ox(not Detecs)and the carbon feel disappeared and allowed good backspin production and has enough grip to attack,a glue sheet also helps a little here imo,if the grass de tecs doesn't work this might be a good option for you

Edited by firetack - 11/21/2015 at 3:51am
Black Balsa 3.0 fh/tenergy 05 1.9 388d ox

asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2015 at 5:15am
A guy uses 388 D idk if its d-1 on a taksim and another on emerald , im guessing 1 gives more reversal due to larger space between pips.
The emerald blocks slow spinny loops and gives back monster underspin. I push, he pushes back, I loop again. This goes on for a minute. I mostly play against this guy for experience, he also has an illegal serve,But 388D its not something I look forward to play against.

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2015 at 10:50am
the three best long pips attackers I know all over 2200 USATT use Meteor 8512, Yasaka Phantom 012, and TSP Curl P2.
van_doorn View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote van_doorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2015 at 6:23am
Hi Guys, 

Thanks for all the great recommendations! I will read some reviews and see what I will think will fit me the most.  I will report back in this thread :) 
Butterfly Harimoto sZLC
Butterfly Tenergy 05
Xiom Vega Japan

MyFeedbackSection
chop4ever View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chop4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2015 at 7:24am
For who has rating over 2300, OX long pips is a waste because he can't counter attack or add-in more under-spin. I don't believe an US player rating over 2300 have any trouble against OX version.
However, 0.5-08mm 388D-1 can make the game different. 1.2mm Grass Dtecs could work really well in many cases and 1.6mm is the best if you have both defense and attack technic.
There is no real "pro", "prov" or "NT" H3 in the market.
Falco is not a booster
van_doorn View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote van_doorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2015 at 2:18pm
Thanks chop4ever! I know 2300+ will have no struggle with the pips, but that's not a problem. Looking to get the game fun for me again, not to get higher up. I've just purchased the 388D-1 at $4.50 at ttnpp. Can't beat that price. Will report back!

Butterfly Harimoto sZLC
Butterfly Tenergy 05
Xiom Vega Japan

MyFeedbackSection
van_doorn View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote van_doorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2015 at 9:59am
I've just received the Dawei 388D-1 in red no sponge. The rubber is very thin and it's see through, so not usable with a blade with a print on it. I've hit with it a few times and i must say the pips are very soft. I've tried these and the Feint Long II. The Feint is better for chopping and the Dawei is better for attacking, but the Feint is more pleasant for all the in between shot like blocking etc. I've tested it on an Acoustic btw. Not sure what to do next, start playing with the feint, the dawei or something else...?

Butterfly Harimoto sZLC
Butterfly Tenergy 05
Xiom Vega Japan

MyFeedbackSection
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2015 at 7:07pm
Are there any pro players that play the style you are looking to play? If yes, then try the rubber that pro player is using. 

Locally Sun Jian Fei - modern defender he used to use Palio CK531A OX - then later switched some Andro or Donic long pips - not sure which. But during his prime it was Palio and he said it took him 6 years to properly learn how to use the rubber. Again he was top 50 in the world at one point. 
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
The Canadian Bacon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Canadian Bacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2015 at 7:30pm
TSP Curl 4
van_doorn View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote van_doorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2015 at 3:41am
Makes sense that it will take a long time to adjust to the pips. I will give it a go!

Thanks All!
Butterfly Harimoto sZLC
Butterfly Tenergy 05
Xiom Vega Japan

MyFeedbackSection
1dennistt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2015 at 8:14am
My experience with the Feint II (1.0 mm) was that it didn't load the spin on the first chop, but the second and third chops had more spin.  I played at a lower level than you, about 1800 usatt rating, so could have been my technique of course.  It also counter attacked very well even against 2100+ players loops.  Gave me lots of options in offense and defense.
Donic Waldner World Champion 1989 ZLC (Inner), Donic BlueStorm Pro (Red) Max, ????? (Black) 1.8 mm)
puchatek767 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puchatek767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2015 at 8:40am
I use scylla sword ox and this rubber is good fore every think, attacking is excellent and rubber is 6$.
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2019 at 12:29pm

I've just received the Dawei 388D-1 in red no sponge. The rubber is very thin and it's see-through, so not usable with a blade with a print on it.

A white glue sheet will take care of that!
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic