Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tabletennis11.com testing opportunity - CLOSED

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
ThePongProfessor View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tabletennis11.com testing opportunity - CLOSED
    Posted: 11/28/2015 at 12:38pm

Hello MyTT forum members,

I am delighted to announce that tabletennis11.com has made the following rubbers available for testing by forum members: 1) Tibhar Quantum, 2) Gewo Nanoflex FT48, 3) Victas V>15 extra, 4) Stiga Airoc Astro M, 5) Nittaku Alhelg, 6) Tibhar Nimbus Delta V, and 7) Donic Acuda Blue P1. All rubbers are black and provided in the thickest available version. You only have to pay for the postage (in order to send the rubber to the next tester on the list).

Please send me a PM if you are interested in testing any of these rubbers. This test will be restricted to US- and Canada-based members in order to avoid mailing delays. Mailing lists are posted below.

Conditions for testing: 1) post an honest a review on this thread within a week of receiving the test rubbers, including a brief description of your playing style, regular setup and (estimated) USATT rating to provide contextual background for your review; specify the rubber that you are testing as a headline in bold font, 2) keep your testing below 2.5 hours in order to allow as many forum members as possible to test the rubbers in near-new conditions, 3) you shall not boost the rubbers, 4) use only easily-removable non-VOC glue to attach the rubbers (i.e., no vulcanization liquid, speed glue, or Elmer’s rubber cement, 5) after complete testing, please wrap the rubbers using stretch-tite or plastic wraps to preserve the quality of the topsheet, and send it to the next person on the list (or to me, if you were the last one on the list).

Thank you tabletennis11.com for once again supporting this forum and making these rubbers available to us.

______

LIST OF TESTERS

Tibhar Quantum

patrickhrdlicka - done

ndotson - done 

JohnTrev - done

<<< TEST OF RUBBER HAS CONCLUDED >>>

Gewo nanoflex FT48

patrickhrdlicka - done

ndotson - done

JohnTrev - done

Victor_the_cleaner - done

BRS - done

Victas V>15 extra

patrickhrdlicka - done

ndotson - done

JohnTrev - done

BRS - done

rocketman222 - done

Stiga Airoc Astro M

patrickhrdlicka - done

ndotson - done

JohnTrev - done

Argothman - done

Nittaku Alhelg

patrickhrdlicka - done

ndotson - done

JohnTrev - done

Donic Acuda Blue P1

patrickhrdlicka - done

slevin - done

ndotson - done

JohnTrev - done

BRS - done

Tibhar Nimbus Delta V

patrickhrdlicka - done 

ndotson - done

JohnTrev - done

Edited by patrickhrdlicka - 05/08/2016 at 11:13pm
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

Feedback
Sponsored Links

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2015 at 1:39pm
Review: Tibhar Quantum (black, max) –

Having recently switched to Tibhar’s MX-P after spending a year with different FH rubbers (P7, Tenzone Ultra, Rasant Grip, Rasant Powergrip, T05). I was really looking forward to testing this recent offering from Tibhar.

From the marketing material: “We put the focus on catapult response at the precise moment of bat/ball contact. Quantum will also allow you to keep the dynamics of your strokes even after switching over to plastic balls. The composition of the sponge produces fantastic playing sensation and a totally regular ball trajectory. Your strokes will be loaded with just the right amount of energy thanks to the perfect pimple/rubber partnership. Choose Quantum for a fast game.” Tibhar rates the catapult being between ‘high’ and ‘extreme’, and the recommended player profile is an advanced player with OFF+ strategy. The sponge hardness is listed as being 50 degrees (http://www.tibhar.com/en/product/quantum/).

My initial inspection of the rubber: The black max sheet weighed 67g uncut (48 g cut to a 150x157 blade). There was no discernible booster smell or doming of the rubber. The rubber (sponge+topsheet) feels much softer than the stated 50 degrees; my estimate is ~42 degrees (significantly softer than MX-P, T05, P7, Rasant Grip or Powergrip). The sponge has very large pores, and for a max sponge it seems very thin. The matte topsheet is also thin with little tackiness to it. There are ~10 pips per 5 cm of rubber in the horizontal direction, and ~19 pips per 5 cm of rubber in the vertical direction. While I cannot speak to the durability of the rubber, I would be concerned that the topsheet tears easily. Here's an action-packed video of the unboxing:

Playing impressions: After hitting the first couple of FH’s, it becomes immediately evident that this is a very different rubber than Tibhar’s MX-P and MX-S rubbers, which are the only other Tibhar rubbers that I have tried previously. The Quantum has a much more soft and mushy feeling when hitting FH’s with a neutral bat angle (regular FH warmups, FH smash). In fact, I got the distinct impression that rubber bottomed out on several occasions. Because the ball has a longer dwell time, the success of straight hits is very timing-dependent and not very forgiving. The rubber also feels slower than any of the medium to medium-hard rubbers that I listed above, and the catapult effect is modest. FH loops from close or mid-distance is the rubber’s strongest suit. A high throw angle gives the ball a nice arc, and looping is very consistent, albeit loaded with less spin than with any of the above-mentioned reference rubbers. It is very easy to lift backspin balls. Blocking is consistent, but I would worry that the rubber would bottom out while blocking very fast loops. Short game is controllable, but my serve returns had a tendency to pop up higher than normal. My heavy backspin BH serve-return pushes were harder to execute with this rubber; I assume this is a timing issue due to the shorter dwell time. I found it difficult to impart very high levels of spin on the balls with this rubber, especially in serves and/or 3rd ball attacks, simply because the topsheet isn’t particularly grippy.

Evaluation using the TableTennisDb grading system: Speed: 8.3, Spin: 8.3, Control: 8.2, Tackiness: 1.5, Throw Angle: 6.5, Weight: 4.0, Sponge Hardness: 3.5, Gears: 7.0

In my opinion, this rubber is suitable as a FH rubber for developing players with a very topspin-oriented game who have no need for hard-hitting capabilities (and/or who don’t have the arm strength to bottom out the sponge). Young kids could be a particularly good target group, also because the rubber is relatively light. I imagine that it also could be a useful BH rubber (high throw, lower probability of bottoming out sponge); however, since I play with short pips in the BH, I’ll let other reviewers comment on this aspect.

Tabletennis11.com sells this rubber for ~$43 per sheet

Reviewer background and testing conditions: I am an allround-offensive player with a 2100 USATT rating. The test setup was a Nexy Zealot blade, my regular BH rubber, i.e., a 2.0 Adidas Blaze Spin spinny short pip and the Quantum (not boosted), which was affixed using 3 layers of Revolution 3 normal viscosity glue. YinHe 40+ *** balls were used. After 20 min of warmup, I played ~15-20 sets against my usual training partners.

Edited by patrickhrdlicka - 05/15/2016 at 12:52pm

Feedback
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2015 at 1:54pm
Review: Gewo Nanoflex FT48 (black, 2.1) –

Browsing on TableTennis11’s website one afternoon, I came across the Nanoflex series from Gewo, a German brand that I hadn’t heard of before (http://www.gewo-tt.com/nanoflex_ft_48_e.html). Their marketing blurb for the FT48 sounded intriguing: “The innovative revolution of nanoFLEX is the new development with the wow effect. It is a premium rubber with the latest high state-of-the-art technology. Players at all levels have participated during the development and testing of this rubber. GEWO technicians have created a new innovative high tech rubber series with nanoFLEX, a geometry adapted pimple structure… The newly developed pimple geometry adapts to the ball surface guaranteeing a highly explosive spinny shot during all playing situations. The highly tacky tension surface generates enormous spin ratings thanks to the very dynamic elastic surface. The nanoFLEX series offers tremendous feeling with the optimum dynamics of spin and power for all professional and serious players. This is the hardest and fastest version with the highest dynamics. A rubber developed for top level professional players who want to win the point with aggressive attacking. Top spins of your opponent can be answered with hard and dangerous counter spins. Despite a tremendous catapult production nanoFLEX FT48 offers utmost control normally seemed unreachable for a rubber of this category. Nanoflex FT48 an explosive weapon to give your opponent the shivers.” Shivers? Sign me up J

My initial inspection of the rubber: The black 2.1 mm sheet weighs 72g uncut (51 g cut to a 150x157 blade). There is a hint of booster smell, yet the rubber doesn’t dome. The rubber (sponge+topsheet) has a firmness similar to Tibhar’s MX-P, which is consistent with the ‘48’ in the name (MX-P is ~46.7). The orange sponge has medium large pores. The matte topsheet is almost devoid of tackiness and appears to be relative robust, which bodes well for durability. There are ~12-13 pips per 5 cm of rubber in the horizontal direction, and ~21 pips per 5 cm of rubber in the vertical direction. At this stage, I am thinking to myself: “Could this really be? A slightly faster, less tacky, version of Adidas P7 ? ”.

Playing impressions: A few seconds into the first FH warmup drill, it is clear to be, that I am dealing with a rubber that indeed is a close Adidas analogue. It is 15-20% faster than the P7 but otherwise it has this unique Adidas feel to it. Excellent flat hitting (much better than T05, similar to or even better than MX-P). I really feel that I can punch through the ball, with no signs of the sponge giving up on me. Great sensation and clicking sound during FH loops. Good length, great consistency, and a nice medium/medium-high arc (I would describe it as a touch lower than P7; and similar to MX-P). A couple of my more vertically executed loops (i.e., sloppily executed) miss the table by a couple of inches. Loops involving fast forearm movement and more horizontal execution suit this rubber better (i.e., it favors players with excellent technique). The spin (but not the speed) produced in loop-drives is perhaps a touch lower than with Tibhar’s MX-P, but slower loops with full engagement of the wrist generate shots that resemble those of MX-P. It is easy to FH loop on backspin balls. Blocking is firm and instills confidence. The rubber has a great feeling in touch play - pushes can be played short and low, but could perhaps be a tad spinnier (lack of tack?). I had a lot of fun serving with this rubber as it allowed me to impart a lot of spin (especially back-spin) on the ball and also to greatly vary the length of the serves with good control. Looping away from the table with this rubber is a lot of fun as it is relatively fast and produces a good arc.     

Evaluation using the TableTennisDb grading system: Speed: 9.3, Spin: 9.4, Control: 9.0, Tackiness: 0.5, Throw Angle: 5.5, Weight: 5.5, Sponge Hardness: 5.5, Gears: 9.0

In my opinion, the FT48 caters to players with an aggressive top-spin game, who still want a rubber with many gears in order to mix things up with short serves/pushes/drop shots and intelligent ball placement. Due to this and the rubber’s excellent ability to impart backspin (imo only paralleled by Rasant Grip), I could also see modern defenders use this as their FH rubber. Lovers of Adidas’ Tenzone Ultra, P7 and Tenzone Ultra SF should give the Gewo Nanoflex series a thorough look. I would not be surprised if many find the following correlations: FT48 ~ TZU, FT45 ~ P7 and FT40 ~ TZU-SF. The FT48 is one of my top 3 rubbers along with MX-P and P7.

Tabletennis11.com sells this rubber for ~$41 per sheet.

Reviewer background and testing conditions: I am an allround-offensive player with a 2100 USATT rating. The test setup was a Nexy Zealot blade, my regular BH rubber, i.e., a 2.0 Adidas Blaze Spin spinny short pip and the Nanoflex (not boosted), which was affixed using 2 layers of Revolution 3 normal viscosity glue. YinHe 40+ *** balls were used. After 15 min of warmup and 15 min of light drills, I played ~35 sets against my usual training partners.

Edited by patrickhrdlicka - 05/15/2016 at 12:50pm

Feedback
LOG1C1AN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOG1C1AN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2015 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by patrickhrdlicka patrickhrdlicka wrote:

Review: Gewo Nanoflex FT48 (black, 2.1) –

The highly tacky tension surface generates enormous spin ratings thanks to the very dynamic elastic surface.

The matte topsheet is almost devoid of tackiness and appears to be relative robust, which bodes well for durability.

Good review, but I am confused by the difference in their marketing description above and your impression regarding tackiness. They say it is highly tacky and you say it is almost devoid of tackiness. Confused
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2015 at 9:53pm
Unbiased reviews and marketing material serve two very different purposes: one strives to give you impressions as perceived by the reviewer, the other is designed to increase sales (this is also why, a lot of the marketing blurbs sound very similar). 

If we define 'tacky' as the ability to lift a ball (i.e., sticky), then no, I maintain that the Gewo isn't particularly tacky. If a H3 Neo is 10, and a brand-new P7 or MX-P is 4, then a Gewo Nanoflex FT48 is a 2 at best. The ability of Gewo to generate spin is still outstanding, but it is due to the ball sinking into the sponge and the topsheet being able to impart friction on the ball. I hope this helps.    

Edited by patrickhrdlicka - 11/29/2015 at 12:56pm

Feedback
Victor_the_cleaner View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor_the_cleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2015 at 11:35pm
i never tried anything from Gewo, i am curious. This rubber Nanoflex definitely does not look tacky on the video. Tacky rubbers don't feel so liquid in your hand.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2015 at 1:04am
I have some clothing from Gewo. Incredibly high quality at a good price. I am tempted to try something else from them.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2015 at 12:01pm
I am still looking for more testers from US/Canada. Shoot me a PM. 

Feedback
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2015 at 3:47pm
Review: Victas V>15 Extra (black, max)

Earlier this fall, I was browsing for Tenergy 05 alternatives as I simply couldn’t stomach paying $65-75 every two months for my FH rubber. I came across this post in our forum, which discusses an interesting study from a Japanese magazine. The Victas V>15 extra emerged in the top 3 with respect to speed, grip and spin among likely T05 alternatives, thus securing a spot on my ‘to-test’ list. The marketing material states: “The ultimate weapon for aggressive offensive players! V > 15 Extra is a high-end offensive rubber, which will enable you to perform on a new level in topspin rallies. Feel the ultimate power and high-efficiency energy conversion of the innovative 47.5 degree offensive sponge and experience the unlimited potential of the spin-optimized top rubber sheet! Demanding offensive players who rely on aggressive topspins as well as topspin-to-topspin rallies will take their play to a new level with V > 15 Extra!”.

Initial inspection of the rubber: The black max sheet weighs 72g uncut (50 g cut to a 150x157 blade). It smells very ‘rubbery’ but without any booster smell - the rubber doesn’t dome. The rubber (sponge+topsheet) has a firmness that falls between that of Rasant Powergrip and Rasant Grip/T05, which fits with the 47.5 degree designation. The cream-colored sponge has small pores. The matte topsheet is essentially non-tacky and feels robust, which should minimize tears. There are ~13 pips per 5 cm of rubber in the horizontal direction, and ~21 pips per 5 cm of rubber in the vertical direction.

Playing impressions: Right from the get-go, I have the impression that the Victas V>15 extra is closely related to the Andro Rasant Powergrip. It has very good hitting power close to the table since it is fast. Loop-drives are low, fast and deadly. Slower FH loops have a long, medium-low trajectory. FH loops on strong backspin balls require a more open bat angle, presumably due to a medium-low throw angle and a shorter-than-average dwell time. Topspin-to-topspin rallies away from the table require more effort than I anticipated for a rubber this fast, but this is again probably related to the relative low throw angle. Flat ‘testosterone-hits’ away from the table are easy though. The rubber offers a decent feel in touch play, but I found it challenging to produce spinny short/long pushes with this rubber since it is so fast – other rubbers are better in that category (MX-P, T05, Gewo Nanoflex GT48). At the same time, I felt that the rubber is rather insensitive to incoming spin on serves, allowing me to carry out a wider range of aggressive serve returns than usual. Serving with this rubber is great. I felt that the V>15 allowed me to impart a lot of spin on serves – especially backspin.

In my opinion, the Victas V>15 extra caters to players with a relentless top-spin game, who are looking to impart strong spin on serves. Touch shots are possible but not where this rubber excels. It plays like a slightly softer and spinnier version of Rasant Powergrip. It is an excellent rubber, but perhaps a smidge too hard for me, given the existence of the MX-P or the Gewo Nanoflex 48. However, the differences are subtle and it would not be a major task to adjust. A top 5 rubber.

Evaluation using the TableTennisDb grading system: Speed: 9.5, Spin: 9.4, Control: 8.5, Tackiness: 0.5, Throw Angle: 4.5, Weight: 5.5, Sponge Hardness: 6.5, Gears: 8.5

TableTennis11.com sells this rubber for $40 per sheet.

Reviewer background and testing conditions: I am an allround-offensive player with a 2100 USATT rating. The test setup was a Nexy Zealot blade, my regular BH rubber, i.e., a 2.0 Adidas Blaze Spin spinny short pip and the Victas V>15 (not boosted), which was affixed using 2 layers of Revolution 3 normal viscosity glue. YinHe 40+ *** balls were used. After 15 min of warmup and 15 min of light drills, I played ~25 sets against my usual training partners.

Edited by patrickhrdlicka - 05/15/2016 at 1:32pm

Feedback
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2015 at 11:54am
The preliminary list of testers is mentioned in the original post. 

Feedback
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2015 at 11:40pm
Review: Stiga Airoc Astro M (black, 2.1)

As a previous and reasonably satisfied user of the regular Calibra LT, I was looking forward to test this new Stiga rubber, which has been designed with the plastic ball in mind and therefore offers the promise of greater spin and grip (one of the shortcomings of the Calibra LT series). The marketing material states: “Optimized to produce an elastic feel when striking the ball. Perfect rubber for offensive attackers who plays with speed, spin and feeling. The OCS-Sponge provides the player with enough catapult effect to take advantages of points away from the table. Airoc Astro M is the perfect choice for players who wants long trajectory shots with incredible amounts of spin.”               

Initial inspection of the rubber: The black max sheet weighs 67 g uncut (48 g cut to a 150x157 blade). I couldn’t detect any booster smell, yet it domes quite extensively. The rubber (sponge+topsheet) is medium-soft, a smidge softer than Andro’s Rasant Grip, I’d say around 43 degrees (Stiga lists it as having “medium” hardness). The blue sponge has small pores. The non-tacky topsheet is grainy/sparkly and feels firm. There are ~13 pips per 5 cm of rubber in the horizontal direction, and ~21 pips per 5 cm of rubber in the vertical direction.

Playing impressions: This rubber feels and plays like a less spinny Rasant Grip. FH drives and smashes are comfortable and crisp – However, I attribute this more to my blade’s harder outer veneer than the rubber, because the relatively soft sponge was less efficient at absorbing the kinetic energy of my strokes. Flat hitting is where my combo shone. Along these lines, the blocking game also felt ok. I did not particularly care for the feel and response I got when doing FH loops: the rubber felt disengaged, bottomed out and had a blunt/dull feeling, like a too thin Rasant Grip (which I have played with).  Dwell time is surprisingly short, and the throw angle is medium-low. I felt that my loops lacked spin, as my regular training partners had an easier time returning my loops. Serves also seemed to lack some spin. Serve returns, pushes and touch game are excellent with this rubber, but again felt like lacking some spin. In my opinion, the rubber is relatively insensitive to incoming spin.

I think the Airoc Astro M caters to All+/Off- players who base their game on drives and smashes, but less so to spin-oriented players who build their game via loops. In my opinion, Andro’s Rasant Grip does everything better that the Airoc Astro M attempts to do.

Evaluation using the TableTennisDb grading system: Speed: 8.7, Spin: 8.5, Control: 8.5, Tackiness: 1.0, Throw Angle: 4.5, Weight: 4.5, Sponge Hardness: 4.5, Gears: 7.0

TableTennis11.com sells this rubber for $44 per sheet.

Reviewer background and testing conditions: I am an allround-offensive player with a 2100 USATT rating. The test setup was a Nexy Zealot blade, my regular BH rubber, i.e., a 2.0 Adidas Blaze Spin spinny short pip and the Airoc Astro M (not boosted), which was affixed using 2 layers of Revolution 3 normal viscosity glue. YinHe 40+ *** balls were used. After 15 min of warmup and 40 min of light drills, I played ~15 sets against my usual training partners.

Edited by patrickhrdlicka - 05/15/2016 at 1:36pm

Feedback
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2015 at 2:37pm
Any chance of a quick comparison between P1 and Quantum?
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2015 at 2:42pm
PM sent. Review coming up in 1-2 days.

Feedback
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2015 at 2:15pm
Review: Nittaku Alhelg (black, 2.0)

I don’t recall to ever have played with a Nittaku rubber before, and I was therefore excited to try this relatively new offering, which has been developed specifically for the 40+ ball. The marketing material states: “With the new 40+ poly ball now used in international, national and even local tournaments, the rubber sheet, helps expert players produce the needed spin and speed in their shots. Alhelg possesses a "Natural Power Top Sheet" made from high grade natural rubber, a bigger pimple base and a thicker layer, which combined creates a grippy surface, energy built in tension, speed and spin. The "Pla Turbo Sponge" has bigger pores and air inside, which enhances the performance of topsheet. The outstanding speed and high friction of this rubber is unsurpassed! For expert play only.”

My initial inspection of the rubber: I was impressed with the packaging of the rubber for the following reasons: 1) An insert describes the characteristics of the rubber, including the pip width (description is in Japanese). 2) An adhesive Nittaku rubber protection sheet is provided. 3) The topsheet is covered with a thick, non-adhesive plastic foil. Clearly Nittaku has gone to extra lengths to protect your investment. Kudos! The black 2.0 mm sheet weighs 70g uncut (48 g cut to a 150x157 blade). I could not detect any booster smell, yet the rubber domed slightly. The rubber (sponge+topsheet) is slightly softer than T05, P7 and Rasant Grip – I would estimate it at ~42-43 degrees). The purple/grey sponge has medium-sized pores. The topsheet is slightly shiny and has just a hint of tack. The topsheet feels pretty robust and does not give the impression that it will tear easily. There are ~9-10 pips per 5 cm of rubber in the horizontal direction, and ~15-16 pips per 5 cm of rubber in the vertical direction, which is a substantially different pip size/geometry than the other rubbers in this test.  

Playing impressions: After hitting the first couple of FH rallies with the Alhelg, I was convinced that I would hate the rubber, but as the test progressed, I warmed up to the rubber. Just as the similarly soft Tibhar Quantum and the Stiga Airoc Astro M, the Alhelg has this mushy, bland, and bottoming out feeling when doing FH loops, which I do not care for. However, the arcs on the loops are relatively high giving good safety over the net. The high control of the rubber is really its redeeming factor. Driving, smashing/hitting, power-looping and blocking, was quite fun and associated with a high level of control, but required greater physical effort than normal. However, I largely attribute the nice feel on these shots to a perfect blend between rubber and blade, rather than the rubber alone, i.e., the bottoming out of the sponge occurred to such a level that it allowed me just to sense the hard outer veneer of my all-wood Off- blade. I would be concerned to use the Alhelg as my FH rubber on blades with softer outer veneers. Touch play (short/long pushes, drop shots) are great because the rubber is relative slow (imo much slower than MX-P, Rasant Powergrip and also a smidge slower than T05 and perhaps also Rasant Grip). I could put a lot of backspin on my serves with the Alhelg, but felt that it was more difficult to impart similar levels of topspin on the ball. I am not sure that there is a scientific basis to these findings (pip geometry?), but that is how it felt in my hands. The rubber is very insensitive to incoming spin, which had very positive effects on my serve return game. Although, I have been play with short pips in my BH for 3-4 months, I felt compelled to try a couple of BH loops with the Alhelg - the feeling was pretty good and I actually landed many of them.      

In summary, I think this is an interesting FH/BH rubber for allround/offensive players who use blades with hard outer veneers, as this provides the opportunity to play a varied aggressive game with high control. However, I don’t think is a suitable FH rubber for those who build up their game around FH loops and desire a strong contact feel.

Evaluation using the TableTennisDb grading system: Speed: 8.7, Spin: 9.0, Control: 9.4, Tackiness: 1.5, Throw Angle: 6.0, Weight: 4.5, Sponge Hardness: 4.5, Gears: 8.3

TableTennis11.com sells this rubber for ~$42 per sheet.

Reviewer background and testing conditions: I am an allround-offensive player with a 2100 USATT rating. The test setup was a Nexy Zealot blade, my regular BH rubber, i.e., a 2.0 Adidas Blaze Spin spinny short pip and the Alhelg (not boosted), which was affixed using two layers of Revolution 3 normal viscosity glue. YinHe 40+ *** balls were used. After 45 min of warmup and light drills, I played ~20 sets against my usual training partners.

Edited by patrickhrdlicka - 05/15/2016 at 1:45pm

Feedback
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2015 at 11:21pm
Review: Donic Acuda P1 Blue (black, max)

Back in the speed gluing days, I was an avid user of Donic’s Vario soft; more recently, I quite enjoyed the Bluefire M1 Turbo in one of my previous TT11 tests, and I was therefore looking forward to this new rubber from Donic. The marketing material states: “New pimple geometry. Excellent ball return. Medium hard, the dynamic attacking version. For all out attackers. A pleasure to play with, a rubber to be at ease with. The latest in sponge technology. This blue sponge with medium sized pores is softer than previous sponges, despite having a higher degree of hardness. A new pimple geometry: Thin long pimples with extra space between individual pimples. The latest generation in top surface rubber: grippy, as with Bluefire M1 Turbo and JP 01 Turbo but with slightly flatter ball arc. Ball return is excellent: Maximum control, a satisfying sound and so easy to play with."

My initial inspection of the rubber: The black max sheet weighs 68 g uncut (47 g cut to a 150x157 blade). I could not detect any booster smell, and the rubber doesn’t dome. The sponge is listed at 50 degrees but the rubber (sponge+topsheet) feels softer - I would estimate it at ~45 degrees. The characteristic blue sponge has a high density of medium-small pores, which might be why it feels softer. The topsheet is matte, without tack, and slightly profiled just like Stiga’s Airoc Astro series. There are ~11 pips per 5 cm of rubber in the horizontal direction, and ~18 pips per 5 cm of rubber in the vertical direction.  

Playing impressions: I hate to admit it, but the marketing material largely has it right. This is a medium-hard attacking rubber of the same ilk as Stiga’s Airoc Astro M, Tibhar’s Quantum, and Nittaku’s Alhelg, but with less spongy feel and better control. The rubber is not super-fast, but still plenty fast (similar to T05). It is extremely enjoyable to play with, offering some of the highest levels of control that I have encountered for a rubber of this speed category. FH drives, smashes and blocks are a pleasure and associated with a crisp feel and sound. FH loops feel less mushy than with the Astro M, Quantum or Alhelg, but also less crisp than with the harder Gewo Nanoflex FT48, Victas V>15 extra or Tibhar Evo MX-P. Medium-high arcs are generated on slow loops, while medium-low arcs are produced on fast loops. I found looping against backspin to be a breeze. Just like the Alhelg, I found the Acuda Blue P1 to be quite insensitive to incoming spin, which had positive repercussions for my serve return game (easy flips). It is relative easy to keep the ball short in touch play (pushes, drop shots) but harder to generate a lot of spin on these shots (insufficient sponge penetration?). Brush strokes do not produce high levels of spin, presumably because the topsheet isn’t particularly tacky. However, serves that fully engage the sponge, did produce a good amount of spin.

In summary, this is a medium-fast light-weight rubber that offers very high levels of control. It pairs nicely with blades having a hard outer veneer. It is one of the best rubbers in this hardness/speed category (Astro M, Quantum, Alhelg, T05, P7, Rasant Grip) that I have treid. 

Evaluation using the TableTennisDb grading system: Speed: 9.1, Spin: 8.9, Control: 9.6, Tackiness: 1.0, Throw Angle: 5.5, Weight: 4.0, Sponge Hardness: 5.0, Gears: 8.8

TableTennis11.com sells this rubber for ~$43 per sheet.

Reviewer background and testing conditions: I am an allround-offensive player with a 2100 USATT rating. The test setup was a Nexy Zealot blade, my regular BH rubber, i.e., a 2.0 Adidas Blaze Spin spinny short pip and the Acuda Blue P1 (not boosted), which was affixed using 2 layers of Revolution 3 normal viscosity glue. YinHe 40+ *** balls were used. After 30 min of warmup and light drills, I played ~30 sets against my usual training partners.

Edited by patrickhrdlicka - 05/15/2016 at 1:49pm

Feedback
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2015 at 3:00pm
Review: Tibhar Nimbus Delta V (black, max)

The marketing material states: “We made the decision to produce a new generation of rubbers that concentrate the three fundamental characteristics of our highly successful NIMBUS rubber family – speed, playing sensation and control. When compared to the original NIMBUS ranges, both the new versions – Delta V and Delta S – have new pimple orientation providing a more dynamic and an extreme catapult reaction to the ball. Delta V is the faster version – for the player striving to play a fast game.

Tibhar rates the catapult being ‘high’, and the recommended player profile is an advanced player with OFF strategy. The sponge hardness is listed as being 47.5 degrees. Tibhar rates the Nimbus is rated as being slower, less spinny, and less controlled than the Quantum.

My initial inspection of the rubber: The rubber comes in a type of packaging that I don’t particularly care for but it might extend the shelf-life of the rubber a little better than traditional packaging (see unboxing video). The black max sheet weighed 67g uncut (47 g cut to a 150x157 blade). While I could not detect any booster smell, the sheet smells very ‘rubbery’ and has a pronounced dome. Just as was the case with the quantum rubber, the rubber (sponge+topsheet) feels at least 5 degrees softer than the stated 47.5 degrees, and is very flexible. The cream-colored sponge has extremely small pores (if any). I noticed that the sponge was flaking around the edges of the sheet, which worries me with respect to durability. The topsheet is shiny and somewhat translucent (the underlying pips are easily seen through the topsheet). There are ~11 pips per 5 cm of rubber in the horizontal direction, and ~18 pips per 5 cm of rubber in the vertical direction.

Playing impressions: This is a rubber in the same category as Tibhar Quantum, Stiga Airoc Astro M and Donic Acude Blue P1, with a medium-soft sponge that results in significant compression of the sponge, which is on the verge of bottoming out on powerful shots. I felt my blade’s hard outer ply very clearly on flat hits, loops and loop drives, all of which were accompanied by loud clicks. I found the rubber’s response to be a little bit unpredictable during loops and loop drives: at times, I could feel a significant catapult kick in, but then at other times the effect wasn’t as prominent. As a result, I had a little bit of difficulties controlling the length of the ball. The throw angle strikes me as being very high when the catapult kicks in. It was relatively easy to lift backspin balls. The catapult made it easy to engage in FH-FH topspin rallies play away from the table. At the same time, it was easy to keep serves and pushes short, but the latter had a tendency of popping up quite a bit. I found it difficult to generate ‘easy spin’ on the ball – generation of spin required a lot of fast wrist action, but did produce reasonably good amounts of spin then.

TableTennis11.com sells this rubber for ~$36 per sheet.

Evaluation using the TableTennisDb grading system: Speed: 8.7, Spin: 8.2, Control: 8.0, Tackiness: 1.0, Throw Angle: 7.0, Weight: 3.5, Sponge Hardness: 3.5, Gears: 8.5

Reviewer background and testing conditions: I am an allround-offensive with a 2100 USATT rating. The test setup was a Nexy Zealot blade, my regular BH rubber, i.e., a 2.0 Adidas Blaze Spin spinny short pip and the Nimbus (not boosted), which was affixed using two layers of Revolution 3 normal viscosity glue. YinHe 40+ *** balls were used. After 30 min of light drills, I played ~20 sets against my usual training partners.

Edited by patrickhrdlicka - 05/15/2016 at 1:52pm

Feedback
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2015 at 2:06pm
Just a couple of concluding remarks from my end following this "testathon".

The seven rubbers fall into two categories, i.e., the MX-P like medium-hard rubbers (Nanoflex FT48 and V>15 extra) and those of medium hardness, i.e., the more Rasant Grip like rubbers (Quantum, Airoc Astro M, Alhelg, Acuda Blue P1, and Nimbus Delta V). My preferences from each category were the Nanoflex FT48 and the Acuda Blue P1, but all of the rubbers have something to offer to the (right) aggressive players.

Random notes. I did a blind press test to compare the hardness of the different rubbers – I got: Nanoflex FT48>MX-P>Victas>Alhelg>Airoc Astro M>Quantum>Nimbus>P1, which mirrors my playing impressions fairly well.

I also took a couple of close ups of the eight rubbers - from top to bottom: Quantum, Nanoflex FT48, Victas, Airoc Astro M, Alhelg, Acuda Blue P1, Nimbus Delta V, MX-P (my reference rubber), as seen from the bottom and the side.

Closer inspection reveals that the pore sizes decrease in the order: MX-P> Quantum>Nanoflex FT48>>Victas>P1>Airoc Astro M >Alhelg>>Nimbus

I look forward to read the reviews that will be trickling in from the other testers over the coming weeks!!

Edited by patrickhrdlicka - 12/10/2015 at 2:34pm

Feedback
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2015 at 10:34am
patrickhrdlicka: thanks for organizing this and for your reviews. Thumbs Up

I noticed that you've compared several rubbers to MX-P, P7 and RG. It would be a great help if you were to add here your TableTennisDB style ratings of those 3 rubbers as well (as most of us have played with them so we can better gauge what these newer rubbers are like). Thanks!
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2015 at 1:08pm
thanks slevin: It has been some time since I've played with P7 and RG, but if memory serves me right, I would say the following:

MX-PSpeed: 9.6, Spin: 9.2, Control: 8.5, Tackiness: 4.0, Throw Angle: 5.0, Weight: 5.5, Sponge Hardness: 6.5, Gears: 8.5

P7Speed: 8.7, Spin: 9.5, Control: 9.2, Tackiness: 4.0, Throw Angle: 6.5, Weight: 5.0, Sponge Hardness: 5.5, Gears: 9.0

RGSpeed: 8.6, Spin: 9.6, Control: 9.2, Tackiness: 1.0, Throw Angle: 4.5, Weight: 5.0, Sponge Hardness: 5.5, Gears: 8.7

{edit}: I have made slight adjustment to the ratings, as I reflect more over matters.

Edited by patrickhrdlicka - 12/11/2015 at 2:35pm

Feedback
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2015 at 1:12pm
wow is Mx P really that tacky , at 4.0 ? tackiest esn rubber after thors, and vega china ?

to my understanding omega v pro and mx p had similar tackiness, which is probably below 1 ?

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2015 at 1:23pm
As mentioned in a previous post, if H3 neo is 10, then yes, I would say that a brand-new MX-P is around 3-4. It's sufficiently tacky that I have been worried about the effects of humidity (has not really been a concern though). It starts losing it's tack after a month or so. I haven't tried the Xiom rubbers and therefore cannot make a comparison.

Edited by patrickhrdlicka - 12/10/2015 at 5:15pm

Feedback
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2015 at 11:35pm
Awesome reviews patrickhrdlicka, great work! Clap
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2015 at 1:41am
Thank you haggisv. I hope that forum members will find these reviews helpful... 

Edited by patrickhrdlicka - 12/11/2015 at 11:56am

Feedback
ndotson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndotson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2015 at 1:52pm
Review: Gewo Nanoflex FT48

Initial Impressions: This rubber is a pleasure to play with. It does everything I like to do very well (see my playing style explanation below). The combination of speed, spin, and control is superb. The throw angle on loops is medium…a little lower than T05. At first, I felt like my loops were going to sail off the end, but the spin and arch pulled them down on to table nearly every time. This allowed me to loop very confidently, however, a larger swing was required than with my usual T05. Stepping up to the table for counter-drives and smashes required less precision than looping - I had great control and speed on my shots, even if was being a tad lazy with my strokes. Blocking was excellent; I could place the ball very accurately and keep it low over the net. Not as sensitive to spin as T05. Touch play/pushing was very comfortable and easy with good feel and spin.

Grades:
Looping: A-
Smashing/Driving/Hitting: A
Blocking/Fishing: A+
Touch Play: A

Conclusion: This rubber is nearly ideal for my style and preferences. I’m concerned that the other rubbers I test from TABLETENNIS11.COM will be a letdown. J

Grading Explanation: I’m using an arbitrary letter system to grade these test rubbers. The grades are all subjective to my preferences and playing style. The rubber was only tested on my FH. So, if you have a similar style to mine, hopefully this will be helpful.  

Reviewer Playing Style: I play a modern defense style. I currently use BTY Feint Long 3 1.3 as my BH rubber,  and BTY T05 max as my FH rubber. I like to chop from mid and long distance with my BH, and chop-block close to the table. My FH is mostly used for close to the table smashes, blocks, and loop kills. Away from the table, I like to counter-loop and hit fishing shots. My current USATT rating is around 1750. The blade I used for this review was Donic Defplay Senso FL.

Korbel
H3 / Curl P1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2015 at 4:51pm
Awesome review ndotson! Thank you.

Edited by patrickhrdlicka - 12/13/2015 at 4:51pm

Feedback
ndotson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndotson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2015 at 11:28pm

Review: Tibhar Quantum

Initial Impressions:  The spin, speed, and control combination is quite good when looping. I did experience a bottoming-out effect (the ball sinking through the rubber to the wood on impact) when I power-looped with a full stroke. So, brushing the ball and short stroke loops are preferred. Hitting and Counter-driving was only so-so as the bottoming-out effect was more frequent and caused a loss of control. Same story with blocking, but only when blocking heavy topspin at the table. Blocking away from the table and fishing shots were good. Pushing and short touch shots were mostly fine as the rubber is not particularly sensitive to incoming spin. I wasn't able to generate a lot of spin on my pushes and my practice partners didn't have much trouble with any of my backspin serves.

Grades:
Looping: B+
Smashing/Driving/Hitting: C
Blocking/Fishing: B-
Touch Play: B

Conclusion: This could be a serviceable rubber for intermediate players learning to brush the ball with their looping strokes (I know a few players at my club that would do very well with this rubber). Probably not a rubber I would use for my particular style as I rely on the control of my kill shots, counter-drives, and blocks close to the table.

Grading Explanation: I’m using an arbitrary letter system to grade these test rubbers. The grades are all subjective to my preferences and playing style. The rubber was only tested on my FH. So, if you have a similar style to mine, hopefully this will be helpful.  

Reviewer Playing Style: I play a modern defense style. I currently use BTY Feint Long 3 1.3 as my BH rubber,  and BTY T05 max as my FH rubber. I like to chop from mid and long distance with my BH, and chop-block close to the table. My FH is mostly used for close to the table smashes, blocks, and loop kills. Away from the table, I like to counter-loop and hit fishing shots. My current USATT rating is around 1750. The blade I used for this review was Donic Defplay Senso FL.
Korbel
H3 / Curl P1
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2015 at 1:37am
Review: Donic Acuda Blue P1

I won't repeat other reviewers here on initial quality, how it plays in different strokes, etc. I'll harp on any differing views and comparative analysis.

I put this on a Nittaku Basaltec Outer blade and then on a Timo Boll Spirit.

First things first: Unlike many reviewers (on this forum and in the German one), I did not find Acuda Blue P1 to be a soft rubber. I find its sponge to be 50 deg as advertised. I had MX-P on the other side, which seemed to have a softer sponge.

It does not bottom out (like rubbers such as Rasant Grip and Omega V Europe do). One might get the feeling that it does because the harder sponge vibrates in a frequency sort of similar to wood (thus making the wood resonate as well). But arc and spin do not vanish (signs of bottoming out).

Perhaps the soft topsheet is what confuses some in believing that it is a soft rubber. Especially, when you hold the rubber - it seems very pliable. And, to me, the topsheet was not super soft. More on that below.

I found that it had a very good, tight arc close to the table. Away from the table, it becomes a shade lower throw (but still higher than rubbers like MX-S). Easy to play with.

So, over the past week, I compared the Acuda Blue P1 to the following 50 deg grippy new-gen rubbers:
  1. Rakza X
  2. MX-S (got back from Patrick)
  3. Bluefire M1 Turbo (got back from Patrick)
  4. Rasant Powergrip (which I just tried)
  5. Omega V Asia (which I just tried as well)
Overall hardness: M1T > RX > MX-S > RPG > OVA ~ BP1
Of these, M1T is an outlier - it is much harder than the others. The last 4 have softish topsheets

Throw: MX-S < RPG ~ BP1 < M1T ~ RX < OVA
Here, MX-S is an outlier - it is much more difficult to play with due to its lower throw

Overall catapault: MX-S ~ OVA < BP1 ~ M1T ~ RX < RPG
Brief note on above relationship: OVA is a very powerful rubber, so don't be misled by the low catapault. Once you put in the effort, you get more power using OVA than all of the above (except RPG)

Spin: MX-S > OVA > RX ~ RPG > BP1 > M1T
To me, this is not that important - all of these rubbers are spinny enough.

Ease of play: BP1 > RX > OVA > RPG > M1T > MX-S
MX-S is low-throw and requires great footwork. M1T is a bit too hard. RPG is spinny and fast - but this means that it needs a slow, high throw blade otherwise it is too hot to handle. This category is where BP1 shines

So, there you have it: good general purpose new-gen tensor rubber. The ultra-aggressive players would probably prefer MX-P (or MX-S) over this. But this rubber is easy to play with with a linear response. 

Edited by slevin - 12/16/2015 at 1:41am
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2015 at 4:52pm
Thank you for the review and a different perspective slevin !!

Feedback
ndotson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndotson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2016 at 11:20pm
Review: Stiga Airoc Astro M
http://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/stiga-airoc-astro-m

Initial Impressions: The feel of this rubber is a bit softer than my usual T05. Opening loops and counter looping felt pretty good. I was able to put consistent speed and spin on the ball with good control when looping against both topspin and backspin. Although consistent, my loops didn’t have the same ‘jump’ that I normally get with T05 and I could tell that I would not hit as many winners or overpower my opponents as often when looping with this rubber. Counterdriving and smashing were both very nice as I was able to hit through powerful topspin quite easily. I could play these shots close to the table with excellent control. Blocking and fishing shots were also good, but I needed to be more active with my strokes to avoid giving up easy kills to my opponents. Touch play, serve receives and pushes were nice as the rubber is not too sensitive to incoming spin (less sensitive than T05). I couldn’t push heavy enough to give my opponents much trouble, but that is not a critical aspect of my game and strategy.  

Grades:
Looping: B
Smashing/Driving/Hitting: A-
Blocking/Fishing: B
Touch Play: B+

Conclusion: This is a rubber that would suit my game just fine. I wouldn’t replace my T05 with it because of its somewhat weak looping ability, but I would be happy having it on a back-up blade. Pushblockers who use their FH to primarily smash and hit winners would do well with this rubber.

Edited by ndotson - 01/03/2016 at 11:25pm
Korbel
H3 / Curl P1
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2016 at 2:52am
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

Review: Donic Acuda Blue P1

I won't repeat other reviewers here on initial quality, how it plays in different strokes, etc. I'll harp on any differing views and comparative analysis.

I put this on a Nittaku Basaltec Outer blade and then on a Timo Boll Spirit.

First things first: Unlike many reviewers (on this forum and in the German one), I did not find Acuda Blue P1 to be a soft rubber. I find its sponge to be 50 deg as advertised. I had MX-P on the other side, which seemed to have a softer sponge.

It does not bottom out (like rubbers such as Rasant Grip and Omega V Europe do). One might get the feeling that it does because the harder sponge vibrates in a frequency sort of similar to wood (thus making the wood resonate as well). But arc and spin do not vanish (signs of bottoming out).

Perhaps the soft topsheet is what confuses some in believing that it is a soft rubber. Especially, when you hold the rubber - it seems very pliable. And, to me, the topsheet was not super soft. More on that below.

I found that it had a very good, tight arc close to the table. Away from the table, it becomes a shade lower throw (but still higher than rubbers like MX-S). Easy to play with.

So, over the past week, I compared the Acuda Blue P1 to the following 50 deg grippy new-gen rubbers:
  1. Rakza X
  2. MX-S (got back from Patrick)
  3. Bluefire M1 Turbo (got back from Patrick)
  4. Rasant Powergrip (which I just tried)
  5. Omega V Asia (which I just tried as well)
Overall hardness: M1T > RX > MX-S > RPG > OVA ~ BP1
Of these, M1T is an outlier - it is much harder than the others. The last 4 have softish topsheets

Throw: MX-S < RPG ~ BP1 < M1T ~ RX < OVA
Here, MX-S is an outlier - it is much more difficult to play with due to its lower throw

Overall catapault: MX-S ~ OVA < BP1 ~ M1T ~ RX < RPG
Brief note on above relationship: OVA is a very powerful rubber, so don't be misled by the low catapault. Once you put in the effort, you get more power using OVA than all of the above (except RPG)

Spin: MX-S > OVA > RX ~ RPG > BP1 > M1T
To me, this is not that important - all of these rubbers are spinny enough.

Ease of play: BP1 > RX > OVA > RPG > M1T > MX-S
MX-S is low-throw and requires great footwork. M1T is a bit too hard. RPG is spinny and fast - but this means that it needs a slow, high throw blade otherwise it is too hot to handle. This category is where BP1 shines

So, there you have it: good general purpose new-gen tensor rubber. The ultra-aggressive players would probably prefer MX-P (or MX-S) over this. But this rubber is easy to play with with a linear response. 

Is it Acuda Blue silmilar to Quantum ?
InfinityVPS   -   D80   -   D05
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic