FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Big Dipper Tackiness

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Big Dipper Tackiness
    Posted: 12/01/2015 at 1:54pm
My last 2 sheets of Big Dipper seem to be very,very low tackiness.  The previous 2 sheets I got were moderate to heavy tackiness.  Pickup test might slightly cause the ball to move, but I would not even call it picking the ball up.

Do you think this is just normal Chinese batch variation or does anyone know if there has been a permanent change in Big Dipper tackiness?

Mark

Sponsored Links

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2015 at 3:15pm
Sometimes Chinese manufacturers actually put a layer of non tacky on top of the topsheet.  This is so the rubber doesn't seem horribly slow for initial play and/or bounce test.  

I frequently find that rubbers are tackier after a month than they are right out of the package.

Edited by cole_ely - 12/02/2015 at 11:09am
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2015 at 1:02am
Cole,

I think you are right.  I went and retested the older of my new sheets after a good cleaning.  It is definitely tackier than the couple of times I tested it new. Still not as tacky as the sheet of 40deg I got a while back.   It seems that keeping it really clean is important also.  I think I will try cleaning it after every match instead of at the end of the night.  We play in some really dusty places.

Do you find in general any difference in doing the pickup test with a celluloid ball versus one of the new plastic balls?

Mark

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2015 at 1:04am
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

Cole,

I think you are right.  I went and retested the older of my new sheets after a good cleaning.  It is definitely tackier than the couple of times I tested it new. Still not as tacky as the sheet of 40deg I got a while back.   It seems that keeping it really clean is important also.  I think I will try cleaning it after every match instead of at the end of the night.  We play in some really dusty places.

Do you find in general any difference in doing the pickup test with a celluloid ball versus one of the new plastic balls?

Mark

Not tried it

vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2015 at 12:58pm
I think the XSF family of balls do not pick up as easy as the celloid balls with tacky rubber. It is enough to change how I have defined tacky in the past. IE tacky = being able to pick up the ball to any degree.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2015 at 5:34pm
of course the ball being heavier doesn't help either

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic